Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

German property market in serious trouble

"House prices were down 10 per cent year on year in the second quarter, while the number of building permits issued has sunk far more quickly here than in the region as a whole. In October, 22.2 per cent of companies reported cancelled projects — the most since the Ifo think-tank began recording the figure in 1991."

German homebuilding collapse threatens wider economic damage

https://www.ft.com/content/b60fa38a-9cca-4170-a9f7-a0826b9ca74b?segmentID=4cc83cbd-00b2-0eef-d1f7-f57621fd8a1e&fbclid=IwAR1H7V2_T-C8HMrQgcoP3EbKseSyQKRsbHPe6Ts6gFWuSMsmIgW7QOHLqrM_aem_AaUUhK8GBLyppMgL9_f2_c-awGMLoW1RJoSv0S5AXLh1JbHinKtEWugrGkmVRLr6uLnRMiIY9lLM6z0-cW8UnwJ-

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

germany had 0.9% 20y fixes during covid.

not comparable to Ireland. Construction costs are also almost higher than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

Don't think this will have a tiny bit of impact on Irish home prices or availability. New build prices are increasing and there's lot of competition among second hand one's and the supply is reducing day after day.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Rates dropping and more jumps in European real estate stocks.

buy now or be priced out forever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I wonder how many AirBnB restricted properties actually make it to the private rental sector though?

If I had an AirBnB property, I wouldnt be persuaded to take it down and rent it on the private market.

I would AirBnB it for the max possible time and leave empty outside of that.

But I could be wrong and perhaps a lot of AirBnB landlords have pivoted to the rental market?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

30 days of airbnb rental (the most common suggested maximum) income minus a vacant property levy would be substantially less income than 12 months of private rental sector income.

Amateur hosts who are just airbnb'ing one property like a holiday home might absolutely say the private rental market hassle isn't worth it. But they're not the target of these measures - its the many professional hosts/companies who have multiple rental properties in city center locations. They're not going to leave their properties idle for 11 months of the year, losing 75%~ of yearly revenue.

This is the best summary of the current Irish property market I've seen recently.

The fact we had more new housing units completed in 1975 or 1980 than in 2019 or 2021, despite our population being not far off of half of what it is now, just really shows how little has been achieved since 2016. Especially when you consider the financial state of Ireland then vs now.

Wre there not 30k new homes completed last year?

Not hugely more than that number on the graph, but still higher.

I think there have been some recent years with lower completions than last year, but that doesnt seem to reflect on that graph.

But the ball park overview tells a story. How did we manage to connect 90k in a year though?

Where were all the planning objectors back then? :) (only half joking)

• Advertisement

But isnt that exactly what they are doing?

If you have a D2 apartment, AirBnB it for 30 days during large events in the city and make a killing.

No doubt there are some renting off the books now and then also. (not advocating that)

The strategy avoids all the risks with being a current landlord and the asset will appreciate over time anyway.

Would be interesting to see stats on which way the wind is blowing on this subject, but i recall property owners on here saying no way would they go into the rental market.

There still are a lot of places on AirBnB in Dublin. So are people adhering to the 30 day limit?

I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Since running an AirBNB at all in Dublin is supposed to be de-facto illegal (DCC doesn't grant the required planning permission) I doubt anyone is sticking to the 30-day limit.

A maximum of 30 days AirBNB over a year won't come anywhere near a full year's private sector market rental. The current ratio in Dublin is generally approx 1:3 (ie an airbnb's average nightly rental is about 3 times that of in the long term private sector). Thats why I mentioned an approx 75% drop in income in a comparison between the two. Even if it was somehow 1:6 though, through being only occupied on 30 absolute peak nights (which is harder than you'd think - Dublin doesn't have that many huge events), it would still be miles off.

Bear in mind the AirBNB'd property will also have costs like AirBNB's cut (up to 14%), cleaning/admin costs, and be liable for a vacant property tax.

Lots of landlords on the internet might claim they'll only AirBNB their property for 30 days a year instead of return it to the private sector rental market but in reality the maths of that just won't add up. Particularly if they have any sort of mortgage to pay - a 75% loss in leveraged asset income isn't remotely viable.

The graph doesn't include 2022, 29,851 units were completed in it according to the CSO. Which is still only at the same level as 1981 and below every year from 1995->2008.

90k was obviously too much, but all the current projections are now that we need to be hitting 50-60k a year. Which we're very far away from unfortunately.

DCC arent granting any permissioms for 30 day AirBnB?

I wonder how many people are actually sticking to the 30 day rule then, because there are plenty of AirBnB options im Dublin and I know people that have stayed in them recently.

I agree on the 50k to 60k new homes needed, but it just doesnt look attainable at the moment.

Of course, there will be a slow down in commercial construction next year, so that will free up some of the workforce for residential, but realistically, can we go much past 35k - 40k? I doubt it.

Isnt the pipeline also slowing down after 2024, so less new devs to approve anyway. Although I expect there is still a backlog of builds not yet started and overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,603 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In 1975-80 there would still have been a reasonable number of existing houses getting power for the first time. Houses/flats getting power in because their gas lighting wasn't going to work with natural gas after the conversion from coal 'town' gas was a thing in the mid to late 80s!

Just to clarify, from experience Airbnb’s cut is 3% from the host, there is a fee applied by them to the guest, and the host charges a cleaning fee on top of the booking, in my case €75, which covers the costs of cleaning each time a guest leaves.

For many hosts the reduction in income more than compensates for not having a tenancy. Many only advertise for weekend let’s rather than expecting full time occupancy and when you consider the costs of hotels for events (I looked at staying 1 night in the city for Coldplay next year and it was €900) there is scope for a higher fee using the dynamic pricing function on the Airbnb site. So don’t take the prices you see today as indicative of prices at times when demand is higher.

And with none of the hassle of having to manage a non-paying tenant, being able to sell the property if/when you like.

Totally agree about the large events.

There are a lot of them in Dublin. Next year with Taylor Swift & Coldplay alone you could easily pull 500 a night for a well located apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pretty much, but the requirement is completely unenforced.

"How much does Airbnb charge hosts?

Airbnb charges hosts a service fee for each booking. What percentage Airbnb takes can vary, but it’s typically around 3% for most hosts. However, Airbnb’s commission can go up to 14% or more for hosts who have a Super Strict cancellation policy."

The number of nights a year in Dublin with Coldplay level demand are usually about 10 nights a year (2-3 of the biggest gig weekends per year like Coldplay/Taylor Swift, the All Ireland weekend, 6Nations England home game when we have it, Paddies Day weekend, off the top of my head). An Airbnb that rents for €250 a night on a normal weekend (for example a 2bed apartment in parts of D2/D4/D6), less midweek, is not clearing anywhere near €900 a night for 30 nights a year. But on the private rental market these days will get approaching €30k a year gross.

• Advertisement

As I posted, Airbnb takes a 3% cut from my earnings, I don’t apply strict cancellation terms, I don’t need to. I doubt many do.

Off the top of your head isn’t a true reflection on times when demand is higher. And again, I would presume most hosts accept lower income as a trade off for not having a tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Dublin Gaa to be sponsored by a company depriving it's fans of housing

You really could not make it up

Dublin GAA is expected to confirm the short-term apartment rental company Staycity as their new sponsors for their football, hurling, ladies football and camogie teams in a deal believed to be worth several million euro

To provide context, Staycity operate aparthotels, a look at their website will confirm to most that they are not depriving fans of housing anymore than hotels or hostels could be considered to be depriving housing.

Never heard of them before, they do look like nice places to stay.

https://www.staycity.com/dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Meaning of aparthotel in English

a set of apartments where you can stay for a short time that offer services like a hotel, for example tea, coffee, towels and cleaning services: This aparthotel is the best option for families, having modern two-bedroomed apartments with a well-equipped kitchen

Who is the owner of Staycity?

Tom Walsh

Co-Founder / Chief Executive Officer

Tom Walsh founded Staycity in 2004 with his brother Ger when they spotted a gap in the market for a mid-market, user-friendly alternative to hotel accommodation

It's glorified airbnb

It’s an aparthotel, did you look at their site before you posted? Applying your logic, hotels and hostels are depriving people of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

There are a few websites I use that you can rent an "AirBnB" (or just a short term rental) off the books. People like to act like its all scary and you cant trust the renter or the owner, but its no different to how it was done 10 years ago.

You send them a deposit and the rest on arriving or leaving. Always found it easy. Every airbnb (or any other site) ive stayed in in the last 3 years or so ive got the number of the owner off them after the first stay. If i stay again i just look at the dates on airbnb (or whichever site i found them on) to see if its free for those dates, then send a message to the person with my details, reminding them who i am and when i stayed before. We come to a cash agreement for a discount and how and when it is to be paid and they block the dates it off airbnb.

I doubt any of them are paying tax on short term lets happening off the books, but thats up to them.

So limiting Airbnb to 30 days isnt going to be a problem for anyone except revenue and airbnb.

Just two upcoming examples. Im going to Portugal for 2 weeks in the summer. Emailed the owner of the apartment I stayed in last year. He said fine, see you then. Thats gone off airbnb now. Im paying about €400 less than it would have cost me to book it through airbnb. Revoluted him €100, I'll hand him cash when I get there.

Going to Donegal at Easter. Same thing. Contacted an apartment owner from one of the websites you see them advertised on now. They phoned me. Sent €50 deposit by revolut. Cash to be handed over during the stay.

Its all very easy and much cheaper than Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All convoluted rules do is push part of the economy off grid. As an AirBnB host you start taking bookings outside these systems. It's impossible to prove. Repeat customers keep coming get a bit of discounts and the host fets spending money.

Every one wanted LL's fully tax compliant. They got it they also got much higher rents. They wanted regulations, regulation costs money guess who pays more longer term.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68,603 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staycity setups are primarily new-build hotels. Some even have bars; but the rooms are all apartments. Locke Living (two in Dublin) are the same.

Thanks, great post and all entirely predictable.

The way the govt will solve the housing crisis is by building social and affordable homes themselves, not by trying to strongarm private property owners into doing what the govt wants them to do with a landlords personal property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

A lot of brand hotels are now having any new buildings with the apartment type setup.

Parents have been using managed apartments since we were young for holidays all over Europe and the USA. Quite a lot of them in Barcelona too. Ireland is only catching up the last decade or so. A lot of people prefer these apartment short stay setups to regular hotel stays. I stayed in one a few years ago in the Canary Islands that actually had both normal bedrooms and apartment rooms all in the one hotel.

Advertisement