Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just to clarify, from experience Airbnb’s cut is 3% from the host, there is a fee applied by them to the guest, and the host charges a cleaning fee on top of the booking, in my case €75, which covers the costs of cleaning each time a guest leaves.

For many hosts the reduction in income more than compensates for not having a tenancy. Many only advertise for weekend let’s rather than expecting full time occupancy and when you consider the costs of hotels for events (I looked at staying 1 night in the city for Coldplay next year and it was €900) there is scope for a higher fee using the dynamic pricing function on the Airbnb site. So don’t take the prices you see today as indicative of prices at times when demand is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And with none of the hassle of having to manage a non-paying tenant, being able to sell the property if/when you like.

Totally agree about the large events.

There are a lot of them in Dublin. Next year with Taylor Swift & Coldplay alone you could easily pull 500 a night for a well located apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pretty much, but the requirement is completely unenforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Blut2

"How much does Airbnb charge hosts?

Airbnb charges hosts a service fee for each booking. What percentage Airbnb takes can vary, but it’s typically around 3% for most hosts. However, Airbnb’s commission can go up to 14% or more for hosts who have a Super Strict cancellation policy."

The number of nights a year in Dublin with Coldplay level demand are usually about 10 nights a year (2-3 of the biggest gig weekends per year like Coldplay/Taylor Swift, the All Ireland weekend, 6Nations England home game when we have it, Paddies Day weekend, off the top of my head). An Airbnb that rents for €250 a night on a normal weekend (for example a 2bed apartment in parts of D2/D4/D6), less midweek, is not clearing anywhere near €900 a night for 30 nights a year. But on the private rental market these days will get approaching €30k a year gross.

As I posted, Airbnb takes a 3% cut from my earnings, I don’t apply strict cancellation terms, I don’t need to. I doubt many do.

Off the top of your head isn’t a true reflection on times when demand is higher. And again, I would presume most hosts accept lower income as a trade off for not having a tenancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Villa05

Dublin Gaa to be sponsored by a company depriving it's fans of housing

You really could not make it up

Dublin GAA is expected to confirm the short-term apartment rental company Staycity as their new sponsors for their football, hurling, ladies football and camogie teams in a deal believed to be worth several million euro

To provide context, Staycity operate aparthotels, a look at their website will confirm to most that they are not depriving fans of housing anymore than hotels or hostels could be considered to be depriving housing.

Never heard of them before, they do look like nice places to stay.

https://www.staycity.com/dublin

Meaning of aparthotel in English

a set of apartments where you can stay for a short time that offer services like a hotel, for example tea, coffee, towels and cleaning services: This aparthotel is the best option for families, having modern two-bedroomed apartments with a well-equipped kitchen

Who is the owner of Staycity?

Tom Walsh

Co-Founder / Chief Executive Officer

Tom Walsh founded Staycity in 2004 with his brother Ger when they spotted a gap in the market for a mid-market, user-friendly alternative to hotel accommodation

It's glorified airbnb

It’s an aparthotel, did you look at their site before you posted? Applying your logic, hotels and hostels are depriving people of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

There are a few websites I use that you can rent an "AirBnB" (or just a short term rental) off the books. People like to act like its all scary and you cant trust the renter or the owner, but its no different to how it was done 10 years ago.

You send them a deposit and the rest on arriving or leaving. Always found it easy. Every airbnb (or any other site) ive stayed in in the last 3 years or so ive got the number of the owner off them after the first stay. If i stay again i just look at the dates on airbnb (or whichever site i found them on) to see if its free for those dates, then send a message to the person with my details, reminding them who i am and when i stayed before. We come to a cash agreement for a discount and how and when it is to be paid and they block the dates it off airbnb.

I doubt any of them are paying tax on short term lets happening off the books, but thats up to them.

So limiting Airbnb to 30 days isnt going to be a problem for anyone except revenue and airbnb.

Just two upcoming examples. Im going to Portugal for 2 weeks in the summer. Emailed the owner of the apartment I stayed in last year. He said fine, see you then. Thats gone off airbnb now. Im paying about €400 less than it would have cost me to book it through airbnb. Revoluted him €100, I'll hand him cash when I get there.

Going to Donegal at Easter. Same thing. Contacted an apartment owner from one of the websites you see them advertised on now. They phoned me. Sent €50 deposit by revolut. Cash to be handed over during the stay.

Its all very easy and much cheaper than Airbnb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All convoluted rules do is push part of the economy off grid. As an AirBnB host you start taking bookings outside these systems. It's impossible to prove. Repeat customers keep coming get a bit of discounts and the host fets spending money.

Every one wanted LL's fully tax compliant. They got it they also got much higher rents. They wanted regulations, regulation costs money guess who pays more longer term.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staycity setups are primarily new-build hotels. Some even have bars; but the rooms are all apartments. Locke Living (two in Dublin) are the same.

Thanks, great post and all entirely predictable.

The way the govt will solve the housing crisis is by building social and affordable homes themselves, not by trying to strongarm private property owners into doing what the govt wants them to do with a landlords personal property.

A lot of brand hotels are now having any new buildings with the apartment type setup.

Parents have been using managed apartments since we were young for holidays all over Europe and the USA. Quite a lot of them in Barcelona too. Ireland is only catching up the last decade or so. A lot of people prefer these apartment short stay setups to regular hotel stays. I stayed in one a few years ago in the Canary Islands that actually had both normal bedrooms and apartment rooms all in the one hotel.

There is a market for hotels and a market for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Blut2

I posted "AirBNB take a cut of up to 14%"

You posted, and I quote directly "Airbnb's cut is 3% from hosts".

I then provided supporting evidence that stated, again directly: "Airbnb’s commission can go up to 14% or more"

It would seem to me that you were rather definitively wrong in your statement of fact.

You suggesting that some airbnbs charged 900euro a night, on one night of the year, is not a true reflection on times when demand is higher either.

The 1:3 standard ratio of AirBNB revenue to rental income is. Which would suggest 30 days a year of AirBNB hosting will not come anywhere close to 12 months a year of private rental sector income for the vast, vast majority of properties. Which is exactly why stricter regulation is incoming, to force them back to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Some interesting points in this article.

"The latest CSO data indicates there were 4,255 house purchases filed with Revenue in September. This represents a 7.2 per cent decrease compared with the 4,583 purchases in September 2022"

If we are building more and selling less does that mean stock is increasing? Does anyone know the latest Daft stock figures?

If inflation is around 5.4% and house prices in Dublin drop 1.9%% does that mean a real value drop over 7%?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,690 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The arguments on here amount to the equivalent of saying "Builders should not have to pay tax on their income because some of them can break the law by failing to declare and pay tax on cash payments as it is"

Get a grip.

Where did I saw Airbnbs charge €900 a night? I said I looked at hotels and what used to be Jury’s in Christchurch were charging €900 for the Friday night when Coldplay are in Dublin.

If you took any notice of the article you quoted, it said in some countries like Italy or where strict cancellation terms are applied by the host, then up to 14% fees can be applied to the host. This isn’t Italy, and if you take a look through Airbnb listings, rarely if ever are strict cancellation terms applied. Hosts have the option of setting cancellation terms, most, if not all do not have a strict no refund under any circumstances cancellation policy, why? Because guests won’t book the property if they think they are going to loose their money in the event of cancellation.

Just because something can be done, doesn’t mean it’s done, so I standby my statement, as an Airbnb host, Airbnb take a 3% cut of fees from the host.

And again, you seem to be ignoring the fact that short let owners, like myself, are willing to take a lower income rather than have a tenancy. The fact that there may be less income from shortlet should make it obvious to you that owners are making a determined decision not to rent long term. If restrictions are applied, then there is a good chance hosts will continue to ignore them, or sell to the highest bidder rather than go back to renting.

I haven’t seen where this 30 day stay has come from (Edit: turns out it was from you, without any supporting information, why you are using the number when it doesn’t currently/may never apply is a mystery), the Twitter link posted earlier refers to proposals made a year ago, earlier this week there were articles indicating that the EU had decided on a “light touch” approach to Airbnb, we should know more from today onwards. We just have to wait and see if the regs get more strict, or more relaxed when the full text of the EU decision is published.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/eu-countries-lawmakers-set-agree-light-touch-rules-airbnb-sources-say-2023-11-10/

Nobody was giving that advice though were they? And who said people should not pay tax? Its up to us all to get our own tax affairs in order. Always been like that. I cant control what tax you pay, so its none of my concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I do the same going to this holiday home in Kerry. Got to know the owner, I just text her and she blocks the dates for me. Then I pay her when we leave, she doesn't even want a deposit.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What is a "real value"?

The article is nonsense as there is no context given for any of their figures. A 1.9% decline in Dublin while the rest of the country increased by 4% isn't even explained.

Likely because houses on the higher end of the price range are dropping their prices and skewing the figures.

They wont be returned to the market if the owner doesnt want to go down that road.

If the govt made renting out property more secure for a landlord, we would see more propetry for rent.

Its more carrot and less stick that is needed.

Its easy to avoid the stick, as many on this thread have explained.

Good article on dynamic pricing, Read an learn to avoid being fleeced where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Yes, I wish there was more of a deep dive into the figures about which Dublin post codes and price brackets were seeing the highest falls (or increases).

I think if anything, any house under 400 or 400k is still rising as those that would have sought out 500k houses are now bidding for properties 100k less as their purchasing power diminishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Sorry "real value" is probably not the proper term.

If inflation is 5.5% and house prices stayed the same numeric figure then technically they droped in value as the money it was previously valued at is now worth 5.5% less due to inflation.

Add a 2% decline in the price and you get a 7.5% decline in property prices. Is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think the EU shot down the government's plan to regulate AirBnB's as the new rules were country wide and too restrictive. I think the government changed the regulations after that but these may be open to challenge

Slava Ukrainii

That makes sense.

So the 30 day limit is not a thing currently?

It was a bizzare strategy by the govt to book up hotels for IPAs whilst concurrently trying to stop AirBnBs operating.

I am not sure where they expected tourists or business travellers to stay, after they had blocked off the usual accomodation options.

• Advertisement

We will pay dearly for this stupidity

Nobody should be allowed to profit from state subsidised/provided property. Council property that is not fully utilised should be made a house share for willing tenants

“Only responsible council tenants that pay their rent and be good neighbours should be able to earn money tax-free from the council’s property,” he said.

Advertisement