Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In relation to the Dutch study that you didn't include. The study didn't make the conclusion that you're implying, it just concluded there's a continued risk of suicidal ideation during treatment and that proper mental health supports have to be provided during treatment, particularly in a group with increased suicide rates due to social stigma etc.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7317390/

"To conclude, in our clinic we observed no increase in suicide death risk over time and even a decrease over time in suicide death risk in trans women was found. Since the suicide risk in the transgender population is higher than the general population and seems to occur during every stage of transitioning, it is important that (mental) health practitioners pay attention to this risk and create a safe environment in which these feelings can be discussed at all stages of treatment and counseling. Further research is necessary to investigate the motives behind the suicides, as input in the development of adequate suicide prevention programs."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I find it interesting that social stigma as both the cause of higher rates of suicide and an argument against transitioning. Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing a very straightforward solution here...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Conspiracy theories and a link dump to some obscure site are unconvincing. I'd love to see proof of this media cover up as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

but as we are in the middle of what i would describe as a social mania, there is the perception that professionals are being bullied into silence or going along with it based on a minority. You know that a man even in his early 20's would find it difficult to get a vasectomy yet the guard rails seem to be off on this one even though there are many de-transitioning cases and the descriptions are horrific, sterilising young people when they might not fully know their own minds yet leaves me speechless. I dont think history will look kindly on this period.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

There simply are not many de-transitioning cases. There are a tiny proportion of people who transition who show regret.

Due to the nature of those against trans people anyone who shows regret will be boosted to the heavens. The generally accepted figure for transition regret is 1-3%, and a proportion of those later admit that their regret is centred on the lack of support for their new gender by family and friends.

If you disagree then show your proof for you claim.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Advertisement

That's your perception of it or that's the reality of it? Kind of an important distinction, to be fair.

I mean - again - we could use this argument to withhold or inflict any form of medical treatment to a minor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maybe this'll help with the aul definition attempts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Perfect example of Wokness here:

https://davidsuzuki.org/expert-article/environmental-action-needs-to-combat-islamophobia/

Now being an environmental activist is not enough on it's own they now have to care about "Islamaphobia" aswell. 2 completely different un-connected issues have now been linked to each other because they fall under the umbrella of things leftists are supposed to care about.This sort of crap is exactly the reason environmentalism (something which is very important) is failing to have as much impact as it can because so many environmental activist around the world can't seem to focus on the environment they have to bring in other issues along with it which distracts attention from the main cause .Green Parties all over the world seem to be infiltrated by people who care more about left wing politics than they do about the environment, Hazel Chu former Lord Mayor of Dublin being a prime example of this.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

I'm not interested in text dumps.

• Advertisement

Ultimately, though, that's just an opinion piece. I mean, I'd agree with you - it is a good example of woke - but I think you massively over-exaggerate the percieved threat, especially with regard to the mention of Hazel Chu caring "more about left wing politics than... about the environment" - what are you basing that on?

There's no requirement globally to have any particular social or political outlook in order to care about the environment and I can't see any future in which is would be.

The fact that Hazel Chu despite being a green party Mayor spent more time spouting on about diversity etc than the environment.

There is no requirement to have any particular social outlook if you want to care about the environment , however a decent proportion of green party members and environmentalists seem to spend far more time worried about stuff that has nothing to do with the environment rather than just focusing on the environment.

A Muslim child was murdered recently in the US simply because they were Muslim.... So ya, it's an issue to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

To be a fully committed wokester, you must be able to juggle several trendy causes at the same time

someone soon will identify as an Eco Jihadi

Meanwhile we've got your view that men not being manly though is responsible for male suicide rates.... Ill informed and ironically enough contributes to the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s a perfect example of Wokeness alright, but this bit -

Now being an environmental activist is not enough on it's own they now have to care about "Islamaphobia" aswell. 2 completely different un-connected issues have now been linked to each other because they fall under the umbrella of things leftists are supposed to care about.

The author of the article isn’t just an environmental activist, she’s a Muslim environmental activist -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_environmentalism

There’s where the connection is between the two, but here’s one that’ll raise an eyebrow - the foundation she works for, where she’s writing articles about including Muslims in their environmental activism (most Muslims in Canada are immigrants); the founder of that foundation, David Suzuki, isn’t a fan of Canada’s immigration policies -

The Vancouver-based founder of the influential Suzuki Foundation was quoted in a French magazine in 2013 saying Canada’s immigration policy was disgusting because “we plunder southern countries by depriving them of future leaders, and we want to increase our population to support economic growth. … It’s crazy!”

Like some European environmentalists, Suzuki maintained “Canada is full” because most population growth occurs in congested cities. While praising Canadian multiculturalism and supporting welcoming more refugees, Suzuki’s main arguments zeroed in on how Canada is contributing to the brain drain from developing countries and that population growth is an environmentally destructive way to prop up Western economies.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/douglas-todd-how-radical-environmentalists-view-immigration

Environmental conservation by its very nature has to raise awareness among as many diverse communities as possible and get them involved in caring about their environment. That’s kinda the point of environmental activism, and the point of the article was to suggest that as environmentalists they have a responsibility to work together towards a common goal, as opposed to festering prejudice and allowing their differences to be an obstacle to achieving that common goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Well I'd argue that's not a good idea.Environmentalism should be at the core of Green politics and if there happen to benefits from it for everyone then great.Deciding to attach broad "social justice" policies that lots of potential voters may not care about and may be off putting for them is not maybe the best way to attract more votes.Probably explains why the greens don't seem to do so well in Ireland as it seems to be just another lefty party with a bit of concern for the environment attached to it's core principles being about the environment.

You don't understand how a political party works do you, it has to have policy positions on everything to be a serious party.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Yes indeed, the weakness of being left handed 😵‍💫🫣🙄

Does she?

There's always going to be an overlap between environmentalism and diversity - they're not mutually exlsusive - but you'd need to be paying her a lot of attention to form such an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's it you are definitely woke. You're woke if you love avocados and woke if you want them banned. 🥑🥑🥑

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well that's just it "woke" is meaningless that everybody could be considered "woke" by "anti woke" people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

More idiotic wokeness on display in Canada.

So a biological woman pointing out the unfairness of biological men competing in womens events is against the social media guidelines of the Canadian Power Lifting Union.

Wokeness tends to prioritize the rights of supposed minority/victim groups even if they are in the wrong.This is a prime example of this.

• Advertisement

I think this is one area we are all in agreement on, if a transgender person has an unfair sporting advantage they shouldnt be allowed to compete. Demonstrate the unfair advantage and deal with it.

It has almost no impact on the other transgender issues, but I suspect it's really just another stick for the anti-wokers to use as a weapon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement