Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I have a serious dislike and fear of people who claim a mandate from heaven to justify their actions. In this case both sides make such a claim.

You and me both. And the same goes for other Gulf states and Christian fundamentalists in the US or Buddhists in Myanmar. I'm all for a freedom to practice religion and for it to play a significant part in a peoples or countries culture, but not that it gets to the point of governing policy. Or claims of a divine right in any respect.

I can understand why Hamas exist, but that doesn't mean I agree with them or their focus. I've said on here before that the path to peace should focus on showing Palestinians that they do not need Hamas rather than trying to eradicate a violent resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It sounds for all the world like they entered a normal hospital full of doctors and patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I agree with you on all that in principle. If / when the Palestinians accept they don't need Hamas (they probably already have?), do you think Hamas voluntarily disbandons? I don't think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

Large cardboard boxes of supplies arriving at the hospital

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

This is kind of a strange comment, it's a bit like suggesting that the attack on Pearl Harbour on the 7th of December 1941 was not really relevant to the US response ... that's the thing about acts of war. When they're done, the victim gets to decide how they respond.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine a similar path as with the IRA.

A split in those who accept to try the peaceful route and those committed to the extremes of eradicating Israel.

But, with global combined efforts on sanctioning their funders and through specific and micro focus on leaders who remain with this mindset they should be manageable to not be able to derail things.

I'm not suggesting it will be easy, but it is the only viable solution to peace in the region. And of course for the above to happen, Israel would have to radically change its behavior also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

The American intelligence agencies were 100% correct with everything they published regarding what Russia was doing in February 2022.

It was almost surreal how closely the actual events followed their warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Unfortunately, there are so many rogue states in the region - Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE etc. - that practice the oppression of religious minorities, slavery of Asians, discrimination against women and creation of a rich elite, that Hamas will get funding and support to keep the eye of the patsies in the West off their activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Whatever the truth is, each side will believe what they want regarding what went on or didn't go on in the hospital.

Some will insist Hamas were there no matter what

If the IDF releases evidence to show Hamas were there, other people will say it's all fabricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I guess the positive outcome, when the hospital is cleared of Hamas and their command center (if it's there), means there's absolutely no reason why the hospital cannot be supplied with everything it needs to function and treat patients. That obligation is still on Israel.

• Advertisement

That is true. Israel will have to make the hospital function fully and effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Your American friends can make it much harder for Hamas's Political leaders to source funding abroad. They can start with Qatar. They need to treat Qatar in the same way as they do Iran.

Israel is a rogue state in the region also.

I would like to see the removal of vetos at the UN level and to see that body, the EU, the US to push sanctions on anyone disturbing the peace. Wishful thinking at this moment as the EU and US inflame the situation with their tacit support of Israels actions over the last month, but it is likely the only peaceful solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

But now long was Pearl Harbor relevant for, or 9/11, or Bloody Sunday? How long do these events justify anything and everything for? Was Pearl Harbor in the minds of those who gave the go ahead of fire bomb Tokyo?

Maybe a weird comment but at some stage, the world will stop using October 7th as some sort of justification for Israel's response and all these deaths.

People here seem to be ok with 10k-25k deaths I suppose, as a sort of "this is war" inevitability of things, but surely that must stop even if Israel doesn't.

Mostly agree with you again in principle, if only Hamas were like the IRA though. And never mind their leaders, there's still probably 10k+ Hamas extremists in Gaza, I can't see them ever being harmless. Better for the world to exterminate them.

Fully agree with the international pressure required and for Israel to seriously change their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

There has been numerous reports of snipers targeting patients - inside the hospital. So while there maybe fierce fighting, civilians are also being targeted and that was also before Israel entered the hospital. So frankly I dont think much of IDF's ethics either

I agree that Israel is creating a new generation of people who hate them but the aim of the current Israeli government is to remove the possibility of a two State solution. They are not ethnically cleansing Gaza...

It is not up to Israel to decide if Palestinians have their state or not. A UN resolution agrees it. A good post earlier basically said Israel IDF want one thing... Hamas want the same thing (one state) - just two sides of the same coin resulting in mass murder and suffering.

"Peaceful solution" my rear end. This is about the destruction of Israel. Countries like Iran and groups like Hamas, Hezbollah etc won't stop until Israel is destroyed the Jews have been driven into the sea.

It's relevant until the war is over. That's how war works. Israel faces an enemy in Hamas that likely won't stop until one or the other is totally annihilated. I don't see any reason why Israel should not treat the 7th of October attacks as their Pearl Harbor.

Do you seriously think that Russia and China would even stay in the UN if their vetoes were taken away? Get realistic, the vetoes hold the UN together, without them, the big powers would quit and ignore it.

• Advertisement

Pearl Harbour was relevant for six years of WW2, 9/11 was relevant for a decade, the PIRA used Bloody Sunday for 20 years, and you are calling on Israel to forget about 7/10 after six weeks?

Thankfully the British didn't possess your zeal for treating terrorist attacks as invites for total war and annihilation.

"Peaceful solution" my rear end. This is about the destruction of Israel. Countries like Iran and groups like Hamas, Hezbollah etc won't stop until Israel is destroyed the Jews have been driven into the sea.

Some people think that. Most don't. The only solution is a peaceful solution.

Some people who say they want peace, don't really, and contribute to the violence even without ever picking up a weapon. They're as big a part of the problem as those who do take up arms.

Or how much conflict and death do you think should be expected per year on an ongoing basis? Because, I've news for you, occupying or erasing Palestine will do nothing to make Israel safer.

Six years, a decade, etc. Yet Palestinians aren't allowed any time apparently. That's what we've learned since October and it's something I agree with. It's never ok and Hamas were completely incorrect to attack.

But Israel will be given years of this death and destruction as if its their right after October 7th.

If you're referring to the IRA's campaign of terror against the British mainland in the mid-late 20th century, there are two massive differences between the IRA attacks on Britain and the conflict in Israel.

1. The IRA never controlled Ireland, our government never supported terrorist attacks on Britain.
    2. The conflict between the IRA and Britain was never a fight to the death. The IRA never sought to destroy Britain, only to remove it from Northern Ireland. Had they "won," there was never any question of a United Ireland going on the offensive and driving the Protestants into the sea from the British mainland.

Neither of these applies to Israel/Palestinians - Hamas are the government of Gaza and their goal is the extermination of the Jews and the complete destruction of Israel in its entirety.

I don't recall the IRA going into a family home, gauging out the eye of the husband (so he can still see with his other eye). Then slicing off the breast of the wife. Chopping off the leg of their little girl and cutting off all toes of their little boy. Then having a good laugh at the scene, truely enjoying their work. And then when getting a bit bored, just finishing them all off and having a nice meal at the family table themselves.

Let them leave. And learn as the UK is learning that it is better to be within a group with shared interests you've signed up to than outside it demanding co-operation.

Russia is no longer the power it thinks it is or used to be. China absolutely is, but I believe China is pragmatic also and if it is seen to be outside the sphere of cooperation and influence, it will look for a diplomatic solution.

I'm being very optimistic here, the actions of the last month have made what I am talking about impossible from even being mentioned for at least ten years and possibly much longer than that.

Military focus of groups/governments/nations has brought nothing but pain/suffering/death and economic hardship for those who initiated it for the last 100+ years. Alternative methods of diplomacy should be prioritized at all times to avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Isn't it sad that Israel have to fight their way into a hospital to be able to deliver supplies.

What retribution do you think Palestinians in the West Bank are entitled to in response for all the murders and deaths associated with settling six hundred thousand Israelis there?

• Advertisement

Lets tone back the graphic descriptions of what is happening.

I saw a tweet yesterday that an official Israeli account shared to show their compassion with an IDF soldier guiding an old man with a walking stick across the road. A second tweet was shown beside it of the same man lying dead having been shot twice in the back of the head. There are horrific acts been carried out by both sides.

When I see someone posting gorey details of the attack on the 7th, all I see is someone trying to absolve Israel from their actions. To my mind, denying power to a hospital knowing people will die is as bad as what you have described.

Advertisement