Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Do you seriously think that Russia and China would even stay in the UN if their vetoes were taken away? Get realistic, the vetoes hold the UN together, without them, the big powers would quit and ignore it.

Pearl Harbour was relevant for six years of WW2, 9/11 was relevant for a decade, the PIRA used Bloody Sunday for 20 years, and you are calling on Israel to forget about 7/10 after six weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Thankfully the British didn't possess your zeal for treating terrorist attacks as invites for total war and annihilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

"Peaceful solution" my rear end. This is about the destruction of Israel. Countries like Iran and groups like Hamas, Hezbollah etc won't stop until Israel is destroyed the Jews have been driven into the sea.

Some people think that. Most don't. The only solution is a peaceful solution.

Some people who say they want peace, don't really, and contribute to the violence even without ever picking up a weapon. They're as big a part of the problem as those who do take up arms.

Or how much conflict and death do you think should be expected per year on an ongoing basis? Because, I've news for you, occupying or erasing Palestine will do nothing to make Israel safer.

Six years, a decade, etc. Yet Palestinians aren't allowed any time apparently. That's what we've learned since October and it's something I agree with. It's never ok and Hamas were completely incorrect to attack.

But Israel will be given years of this death and destruction as if its their right after October 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

If you're referring to the IRA's campaign of terror against the British mainland in the mid-late 20th century, there are two massive differences between the IRA attacks on Britain and the conflict in Israel.

1. The IRA never controlled Ireland, our government never supported terrorist attacks on Britain.
    2. The conflict between the IRA and Britain was never a fight to the death. The IRA never sought to destroy Britain, only to remove it from Northern Ireland. Had they "won," there was never any question of a United Ireland going on the offensive and driving the Protestants into the sea from the British mainland.

Neither of these applies to Israel/Palestinians - Hamas are the government of Gaza and their goal is the extermination of the Jews and the complete destruction of Israel in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't recall the IRA going into a family home, gauging out the eye of the husband (so he can still see with his other eye). Then slicing off the breast of the wife. Chopping off the leg of their little girl and cutting off all toes of their little boy. Then having a good laugh at the scene, truely enjoying their work. And then when getting a bit bored, just finishing them all off and having a nice meal at the family table themselves.

Let them leave. And learn as the UK is learning that it is better to be within a group with shared interests you've signed up to than outside it demanding co-operation.

Russia is no longer the power it thinks it is or used to be. China absolutely is, but I believe China is pragmatic also and if it is seen to be outside the sphere of cooperation and influence, it will look for a diplomatic solution.

I'm being very optimistic here, the actions of the last month have made what I am talking about impossible from even being mentioned for at least ten years and possibly much longer than that.

Military focus of groups/governments/nations has brought nothing but pain/suffering/death and economic hardship for those who initiated it for the last 100+ years. Alternative methods of diplomacy should be prioritized at all times to avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Isn't it sad that Israel have to fight their way into a hospital to be able to deliver supplies.

What retribution do you think Palestinians in the West Bank are entitled to in response for all the murders and deaths associated with settling six hundred thousand Israelis there?

• Advertisement

Lets tone back the graphic descriptions of what is happening.

I saw a tweet yesterday that an official Israeli account shared to show their compassion with an IDF soldier guiding an old man with a walking stick across the road. A second tweet was shown beside it of the same man lying dead having been shot twice in the back of the head. There are horrific acts been carried out by both sides.

When I see someone posting gorey details of the attack on the 7th, all I see is someone trying to absolve Israel from their actions. To my mind, denying power to a hospital knowing people will die is as bad as what you have described.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So if the IRA did actually do that, do you think total war and annihilation by the British would have been warranted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Pearl Harbour was attacked on Dec 7 1941. Japan surrendered in early Sept 1945. It was relevant for less than 4 years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

@Tell me how - "Lets tone back the graphic descriptions of what is happening."

Let's not. From my experience very few people actually know what sort of savagery went on that day. Kids tied up together and set on fire, people beheaded with blunt instruments, etc. Not just jews either, it included arabs and far eastern labourers, etc.

I find that a lot of people change their mind once they are aware. Perhaps that's why our Ceann Comhairle refused to watch it.

The UK was a small player in the EU, but didn't realise it. Germany and France dominate the EU, if they left it would collapse.

The same applies to the UN, remover the China, Russia and US vetoes and they will leave, and the UN would collapse. What would be left would have no power or no influence and the small countries would suffer even more. That is the realpolitik.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

I can't speak for the poster you're referring to, but if the IRA was the official government in Ireland during the Troubles and their objective was the complete destruction of the UK and the extermination of all British people, then I suspect things would have been a little different. Fortunately, neither of those things were true.

Why do you continuously miss the point? Deliberately so. Why do you waste so many posts on missing the point ad nauseum?

I'll keep it simple - Oct 7 was a horrific barbaric terrorist attack which should not happen. All agreed. Plenty of evidence. The vengeful response has also been horrific - 11k dead, 4000 children, collective punishment (no food, water, medical supplies, comms, power, forced movement, disease, homeless). No end in sight.

Do you agree with above?

A few of the civilians sheltering there will be forced to wear Hamas uniforms and hold a weapon for the cameras.

Do Hamas actually have a recognised uniform? I doubt they would wear it if they did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They don't need incubators. They need power and to not be shot at

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hold on, 9/11, you mean the attack used to justify invading countries thatwvere in no way involved by western powers this further embedding islamphobia anti Muslim sentiment and not the flip side anti western sentiment (which is at least understandable when your being carpet bombed for no good reason) leaving power vacuums all over the place and help in the ris e of groups like Hamas, IS ETC

• Advertisement

Yes I agree the consequences of the response are horrific. What is the point I'm missing? It is not up to Israel to supply water, food, medical supplies, power, etc. by the way. But they can not hinder their delivery either if international aid agency are trying to bring it in.

Yeah, you want to go tit for tat with examples of horrific brutality and death.

That's a bit messed up if you ask me. Both in wanting to keep mentioning it but also in thinking that the manner in which a life is taken somehow changes the level of sympathy that should be afforded to the victim.

I'd go so far as to call that act dehumanizing.

The IDF callously flattened the body of a dead man in to the ground with a tank, how much retribution should be meted out for that? They dragged the body of a dead man behind a jeep a couple weeks ago, with several other IDF soldiers walking past like they were just walking down the street going for a pint of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

The path to ultimate peace is either one of acceptance, collaboration and shared accountability.

Or the antihalation and subjugation of the entirety of one side such that they can never again realistically attempt to attain freedom.

I will never stop advocating for peace in areas where there is no definitive aggressor (such as is the case in Ukraine). I'm not going to impact anything, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to advocate based on my own morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've said it before here and I'll say it again - you views on these matters disgust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So are you disagreeing with the response then, if you call the consequences of the response horrific? I would agree that Israel is under no obligation supply water electricity in the long term , but if they do it immediately with no temporary replacement in to cover it and this leads to civilian deaths then it must be considered wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'd say he refused to play it because most people don’t need to see graphic videos in order to condemn barbarity. I didn't need to watch the video of Ken Bigely being beheaded to realise the people behind it were utter savages.

This does not give the IDF or anyone carte blanche to shoot an old blind man in the back of the head twice

Also if we are going to use the October 7th attacks as justification for IDF waging war any way they see fit to. Does this mean you would have excused people carrying out a massacre after the Der Yassin Massacre, or the violence after the Christian militia that ran amok in Lebanon while Ariel stood by. What about the subjugation and violence meeted out to Palestinians in the West Bank? Is vengeance justified when it's a side we support?

That poster is showing that they don't see two lives as being equal in value or merit.

Their reason for this, only they know.

The fact that the ratio of death at this point is 10 Palestinians for each Israeli and the poster is still advocating for Israeli force suggests that they think 1 Israeli life is worth more than 10 Palestinians.

No I am not disagreeing with the response, provided it is the least harmful way (to Gazan civilians) to completely eradicate Hamas.

My view was more tempered, until Hamas leadership made no mistake about it a week or two ago, that October 7th would be repeated again and again until all jews are dead. That's simply not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think by the bodycount of dead children in Gaza as a result of this operation that it would be an uphill argument to categorise their methods as least harmful. I mean if you looking at it objectively.

Advertisement