Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Kitshoff, Snyman, de Allende, Vermeulen?

They're a lot more high profile than Rhule, Leyds, Sclavi, Seuteni. I don't think I'd heard of the last two before they came to prominence with La Rochelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

I tend to agree with this. The coaches taking a hard look at the gameplan and the squad will inevitably reflect on their failure to get past the ABs when it mattered. We can beat them but on the biggest stage we failed. I don't imagine Farrell et al will console themselves with 'but for Barrett's milky white thigh or the ball bouncing over Sheehan's head'...they'll say what do we need to change to win the next time. That will start sooner rather than later. Does it mean a change in the game plan and tactics? if it does it may mean more new players involved.

There was a fair bit of talk at the start of the season that McFarland has taken Ulster as far as he could - even that he'd have been replaced if they had the money to pay him off. I wonder if he did finish up with Ulster whenever his contract ends would he be brought into the Ireland set-up. Ulster's scrum and maul have consistently been excellent during his tenure. He would probably be an upgrade on John Fogarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conquestscarer

The Leinster need to sign Eben Etzebeth to win in europe is utter bollix. The utter arrogance of playing the exact same tactics with no changes other than "being more Physical"(Not the reason we lost in 2022). Leo and Lancaster had the deepest set of talent in europe for 2 years in a row and didn't manage to get them over the line in either of the competitions last year. I hope Nienaber comes in and brings in a different attitude, for example the arrogance of pretending the scrum doesn't matter so you can have an extra player running lines out the back. I've seen some good tactical decisions this season to counteract line speed and that could be the difference, also McCarthy is a dog at the ruck which we didn't have last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's funny that we've lost to LA Rochelle on the trot. Each time different aspects to the loss. But it still remains, that Leinster fall short and usually through their own fault. For me, Jenkins was very poor last year and didn't have any impact. Lowe was poor and Molony looked wrecked at about 60 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

All of the above didn’t sign for Leinster and I was specifically discussing Leinster

Leyds was in the Bok squad in 2019 and was told he wasn’t the type of player they wanted so hardly an unknown. I don’t watch enough of French rugby to tell on the others

Maybe read what I posted first before heading off on a rant.

The discussion was if the provinces should spend big money on foreign players to win Europe, so maybe read back and explain what it “utter bollix”?

Leinster clearly don’t have the deepest set of talent in Europe. it’s very arrogant to claim so when you see the recent record

Current NIQs:

Connacht: Shamus Hurley-Langton, Santiago Cordero

Leinster: Michael Ala'alatoa, Jason Jenkins, Charlie Ngatai

Munster: Jean Kleyn, R.G. Snyman, Alex Nankivell

Ulster: Steven Kitshoff, Dave Ewers

I believe Ewers and Hurley-Langton can qualify on residency, although the former would be 38 by then so the chances of him actually representing Ireland are virtually nil. The others appear to be tied to other countries.

If Leinster easily make playoffs and their NIQs don't make their strongest XXIII for games at the business end of the season I think there's a strong argument that it'd be better for Irish rugby if they didn't have any of their current three NIQs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leinster clearly don’t have the deepest set of talent in Europe. it’s very arrogant to claim so when you see the recent record

Leinster are absolutely in contention for the deepest talent pool in a squad in Europe. I mean, their recent record includes losing by 1 point in a SF to the URC Champions with a complete shadow 15.

Yes they are in the conversation. But so are La Rochelle and Toulouse to name two, the French teams would claim the Top 14 means they have stronger squad to deal with the rigours of that league.

Based on last season alone La Rochelle have to win that honour, they won Europe and got to the Top 14 final losing in the last minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

"SHADOW 15"

Leinster Rugby vs. La Rochelle Line-Ups: 

Leinster: H Keenan; J O’Brien, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, J Lowe; R Byrne, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; R Molony, J Ryan (capt); C Doris, J van der Flier, J Conan

Replacements: R Kelleher, C Healy, M Ala’alatoa, J Jenkins, R Baird, L McGrath, C Frawley, C Ngatai.

All the bolded players were involved in that URC semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

John Porch for Connacht too for the sake of completeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

So 11 starters the following week didn’t start that game? And VDF came on as an early sub so actually 12 of the 15 didn’t start. Would that not be considered a shadow 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No, a shadow 15 is when all 15 are not starters, at least that's how I would interpret the meaning.

4 starters and the entire bench is 12 of 23, while it is a weakened or rotated team, I wouldn't call it a shadow 15, to me that'd be the second choice in every position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not really bothered with the semantic argument. The point regarding backing up the depth of the Leinster squad stands.

There is nothing "clear" about who has the deepest squad in Europe, you could make arguments for Toulouse, LAR and Leinster and I think claiming it is Leinster is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I think the poster was refering to the game v Munster in the semi final of the URC

Is McFarland looking after the scrum/maul in Ulster? I never knew what his specialty is

Leinster team

1 International Starter 2 International Starter 3 International Starter

4 Club player 5 International starter

6 International Starter Nominated for 6 nations POT 8 International Bench 7 International Starter and reigning WPOTY/EPOTY

9 International Starter 10 International Bench (3rd choice)

12 International Starter 13 International starter

14 International Bench 15 International Starter Nominated 6 nations for POT 11 International Starter

La Rochelle Team

1 International Bench 2 International Bench(3rd choice) 3 International Starter

4 Glorified Journeyman 5 International Captain

7 International Player 8 International Player EPOTY 6 International Bench(3rd/4th choice)

9 Club Player 10 International Bench(3rd choice)

12 International Starter 13 International Starter

11 Club Player 15 Club Player 14 Club Player

I don't think its particularly arrogant to say Leinster's squad is deeper when it's broken down in this manner. The fact is a coaches should be able to get more than the sum of it's parts. If Saracens from a few years ago were still around I wouldn't argue this point but they're not so it must be said.

and people say ROG is wrong when talking about people in Ireland talking down about La Rochelle

At end of last year La Rochelle won second European trophy in a row and got to the Top 14 final. They are a better team over the last 24 months than anyone other in Europe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

9. One man's 'club player' is another man's 'world cup winner'.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TBF Kerr Barlow was injured for the final, and im assuming that is the team the poster is naming

i love the way the 11, 14 and 15 are "club players" with 54 international caps between them though

I'm referring to what they currently are. Nothing stopping Dulin, Rhule, or Leyds from playing internationally at the moment.

Provincial loyalty is admirable but Leinster have underperformed with the majority of one of the worlds best test teams on their books. 1 European cup in a decade is a terrible record for that team. I am amazed that Cullen is still above criticism given the results over his time in charge. Great PR but otherwise a fairly modest performance. He's been out thought how many times by two other Irish coaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Cullen gets plenty of criticism, here of all places. And fairly so.

Maybe around here but he gets a pass in the press. Leinster are generally above criticism in the media, unsurprisingly given that they win almost all their games. When they do I think the main focus of it has been soaked up by Lancaster as he is the face of the rugby, on field coach, etc. If I remember correctly Cullen was mildly criticised for the tone of his comments after the most recent loss to LAR, some were offended by his seemingly cavalier attitude, just another day at the office kind of thing. But much more often the coverage is trying to understand how these two odd balls are such rugby coaching geniuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They aren't the same things. You can have the best 23 in Europe whilst not having the best squad in Europe. I would wager that La Rochelle would struggle with 4-5 key absences more than Toulouse or Leinster simply because there's more of a drop off for them to their back ups (and the knock on of potentially bringing a third choice player onto the bench). They've managed their squad quite well and have done well on the injury front. But we can see this season the drop off for them when the test players are absent.

With that said, it's pointless comparing teams through the "international starter" etc. criteria. There is far more competition and depth in France than here. If the La Rochelle team played in Ireland instead of a province, every one of them would be capped and a lot of them would have been in the RWC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cullen has done the vast majority of media over the last few years; he takes nearly all the pre/post match interviews/press conferences. Lancaster did the onfield stuff but, that aside, I'm not sure he soaked up much in terms of the focus. It was very much the case that Lancaster wanted to move away from that element of the role when he joined Leinster after the abuse he took in England.

I wouldn't say he gets no criticism. He took a lot of flak when he defended the Leinster set up following criticism by the likes of Wigglesworth from both punters and the media. The fact is that he's a fairly open and convivial individual which lends itself to good media relationships. Also, generally speaking, the Irish media don't go after the provincial coaches unless they really screw up (or after they've departed).

Not sure what media you are listening to but from the start of the season the media more or less tell us to ignore any good results for Leinster because unless they win both in Europe and the URC it is a disaster for Leinster

Once they lose they pull the entire club to pieces. At this stage I think leinster are just used to it. It was the same when winning the league(whichever named version it was at that stage) it was always a well done you won the league but you didn't win Europe so it was a bad season for Leinster

Post edited by Clo-Clo on

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

Seems to be a push in the media for POM to get the captaincy. His agent has a lengthy payroll I hear 😉

• Advertisement

Advertisement