Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outside blocks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

TB is a disease of intensification. Zero grazing herds are generally reasonably intensive. The larger the herd and the tighter they are in a shed, the bigger the outbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It can be down to the vet too. We had a young vet from another practice test heifers in the contract rearers herd and she put 2 down as doubtfuls

my own vet was bulling when we rang him. He went down and looked at them himself and said there was no way he would have put them as doubtfuls

we just took it on the chin and killed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

happened to a farmer i know... took land for zero grazing belonging to a guy with greyhounds.... at least 20 out of 100 cows got it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Pardon my ignorance here, but have you any comeback in those cases?

There was a farmer not far from me questioned a new vet's decision years back and called his boss in the Dept looking for him to be sacked. The new vet had found lumps on six of the farmers cows.

The Dept sent out an older vet and he was nervous about it coz he knew the farmer in question. Thankfully, he said, the lumps on the cows were like footballs at that stage and there was no questioning it.

This isn't the result you'd want but I thought you'd at least have some comeback to question a vet's decision?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

@GrasstoMilk I have been following the thread for a few days and thinking a bit of how I might respond to it. I'm a bit similar to you in age and a young family and a love of farming. But part time and at the beef game.

Being critical friends here, most want to help, by picking holes in the best of our plans. This forces us to step back and think and ultimately it helps us make the best decision for our farms.

Looking at all farms, the most important piece of stock or machinery is the farmer themselves. They drive the vision of the the farm, by the their everyday actions.

As i type this, I'm just finishing up the evening foddering after putting all the smallies to bed. Over the past few years time has been the biggest thing that will drive profitability, whether that's reducing the cost of labour or the amount of labour. This career is not a sprint, it's a marathon, its all about minding the body. Farmer in the past have not been good at this but we have a new young generation of farmers who value this. Its about having the time to switch off, it could be go to kids matches go to a run or a few pints with the buddies.

You are lucky and blessed to have you father wishing to work along side you daily doing what he chooses, long may it continue, but simplifying you system should be key. Adding a zero grazer to the system is not going to do that. Well done on getting your herd to where it's at and the production figures you have are not to be sniffed at.

I type this after listening to the latest episode of the dairy edge, and this was the poke that I needed. It contained some key messages for all farmers, but it's very worthwhile to this discussion. Marginal milk, what it costs to produce with imported feed, be that meal, maize, silage of rented ground or even zero grazing off an outblock. The most profitable milk will be the milk produced from grazed grass. Why with not mechanised, mechanised feed has a time and a physical cost. I would recommend all farmers have a listen over the coming days

Please take your time to mull over the idea of the zero grazer fully. All investments should start with a simple question, is it going to make my life easier and save me money daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

That's beautiful. Most of us are thinking the same. But for feck sake let grasstomilk buy the zero grazer and try it out. You can sell it again if it doesn't work. It might be handy for a bit of extra grass in spring and autumn.

We can't judge farming by 2022 or 2023, milk could be over 60c next October and dry grass in every field.

Sher if some fellow didn't chance making silage sometime we would all still be pulling bundles of hay from the reek now

Thanks for your posts lads

I appreciate everyone’s opinion be they good or bad I just don’t like negativity. Maybe it’s just the way a posts comes across etc. I have a fair few friends who wouldn’t shy away from telling me to cope on either and me the same

yes certainly lots to think about and mull over and I listened to the dairy edge podcast too.

very lucky to have dad here to be able to chip in and help keep things on the straight and narrow, also very lucky I have a wife who is very interested and will happily milk or do errands when ever she’s able

we also got an au pair this year and it’s been a complete game changer for us. Has taken so much stress out of the equation. There’s someone there for the kids all day long

there is no decision made yet but from any of the figures I’ve done they stack up if I can get back in meal fed and hold milk solids and cut out a lot of the silage feeding in the the grazing season. The biggest hurdle to get over is the time element and the wear and tear on tractors and machine

at the end of the day we all need to make a decision on how had we want to work and how much we want to achieve and how quickly we want to get there

Cynical me also looks at that podcast of teagasc and thinks “all there research was geared towards us stocking our farms at 2.7 and now they’re covering they’re asses by saying those of us that achieved it were stocked too high “ 🤔🤔

might be the case for a some bit not all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Your case is the very reason I started this thread and I too am giving alot of thought as to what is the next step

Whenever they start covering their a*se, the Simpson's clip about 'DRINK DUFF...responsibly' comes to mind.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4bacf2e5-72c2-4b63-ba99-9a9baa7f184a

Pack the milking platform...

responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't mind the zero grazer, tell us more about the au pair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Gg, I got a grass tech 140 here 4 yrs ago. Tbh I've never regretted it. I only zg on the shoulders of the year and the ground goes for 2 or 3 cuts.

On the time it takes, it's not bad. Most of the ground is 7kms away, there's a tractor on the grazer permanently when I'm using it, 1 hour would have a load back in yard.

Its great in the spring if conditions are broken, cows never have to be out in poor conditions to get grass into them. Does away with alot of the hardship of poaching and spur roads. Much much easier on cows.

The meal is bought here (particularly in spring) based on energy and acidosis prevention. This spring was so bad I gor beet pulp into the 2nd bin and that was fed with the nuts in the parlour. Worked very well with the zg.

The other thing about owning one is, you'd be surprised, even on a wet day, 1 dry hr makes a massive difference to the dm in the load, so you can pick your times.

Someone mentioned compaction, not an issue at all, right tyres on ground that doesn't be grazed. It does no damage (here anyway) whatsoever. A Slurry tank is 10 times worse.

It will lift your solids, there's no milk produced here off silage, makes a big difference. Its not time consuming if you can leave a tractor.on it when you're using it, and it saves time and messing in spring. Big time.

I guy near me is zging all summer, small meal bill, savage solids and production. Cows will put away some amount while they're waiting to be milked. Oh and last thing, you will grow more grass with lower fert if you can keep the watery Slurry in behind it, and plenty of K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement

She’s from bergamo in Italy and her grandfather is a tillage and dairy farmer.

her parents came to visit during the summer and her father told me my cows would be killed in Italy because they don’t do 40l 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

last couple i know of that had an au pair to help with rearing the kids are now divorced......! so thread carefully GtM...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Same story around here the father of kids was carrying on with the au pair

Haha no she’s safe enough. Don’t worry 😂

my life is gone a lot easier. I don’t want to go making a mess of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Danny healy ray

in fairness an easy thing to happen it's a dicey one at times a young one around the house all day !

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Got to love F&F at times.

Where you start a thread on the pros and cons of buying a zerograzer and it morphs into a discussion on riding your Au pair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Tread carefully GtM

Remember… if Imelda had gotten Pat neutered - Mr Moonlight would still be spinning the decks instead of pushing up daisies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

@GrasstoMilk

I just came across this thread. Trying to get to 90-100% efficiency takes more effort than getting from 50-80%. Now technically you may not think you are pushing the boat out and everything looks great.

It's not the time on the zero grazer that will catch you it's the slurry, agitating, pushing in grass the second time cleaning the feed face etc.

This work is not spread out over the year. It will be in 3-4 weeks bursts. When you have to Zero every day for adding 1-2 hours onto the day and then agitating spreading slurry on it.

If @mahoney_j is correct and it causes feet issues as well then it will add more complications. You are looking at adding 2.5% to your protein figures to really justify it. The extra cows will probably not justify it.

Labor is the killer on dairy farms. Ya you have a couple of young lads at present but they will need constant replacing. It's easy when you have good help.

The other factor is your children. I see a few lads with no successors, the main reason is children grow up to hate it because they see there father trapped by it or they themselves get to hate it because of the workload

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Agree on that ….outside of labour etc big downsides feom lads I know is feet problems ….eating lush grass at a barrier leds to soft feet ….mortelaro will spread faster and foot bathing will need to be done weekly ….also z grazing especially at shoulders leads to soil compaction both from actual z grazing traffic but also slurry tankers and fert spreaders etc …makes ground v hungry and reseeding will be needed more often

Tbf MJ those issues are largely associated with Holsteins aswell as that type of cow not being able to deal with lush grass and getting acidosis

we don’t suffer from acidosis in our cows and they’d be getting fair lush grass, don’t suffer from low bf due to lush grass either

I do agree feet issues from being at the barrier might be an issue but I don’t agree our cow will be worse off from eating lush grass.

I accept your opinion on it but we are on a different cow type and I don’t intend to go away from what we’re breeding

Cow type don’t come into it …..ask anyone regardless of cow type what the main issues they have …..I’ll bet most will say feet and mortelaro

I’ve been talking to 6 different ppl about it over the last month. None of them were recommended by any of the zero grazing companies

they all felt the benefits out weighed the negatives of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Jack98

From reading your comments, you can obviously sustain the number of cows you have on the milking platform throughout the majority of the growing season for grass. If you’re only using the grazer for the shoulders to buffer and in times of drought etc then it will be a good addition the workload will only be increased if you are buffering with the grazer everyday like some farming hero’s.

If you’re just buffering foot problems will be minimal ask any pairer out there they spend a lot more time in yards of hols then they do in yards of crosses.

Montelaro won’t just show up from standing on slats either but it will from poor management practices, had issues with it here a few years back but better practices eliminated it from the farm.

I don't know lads. I was thinking of building more cubicles, shed and storage here but I have enough cubicles for 170KgsN at the moment. It's hard to know what way things will pan out but I might let things settle here around the 170kgs for a while and work on removing the bottom 5 or 10%. Kinda suits anyway with the price of building and all.

• Advertisement

You’re operating outside of derogation already anyway aren’t you?

Ya. But have 92 cubicles. Kinda stuck for a shed for in calf heifers but not sure about building if it is going to be moth balled in 2026 with the loss of derogation.

Leased ground we have on milking platform 6ha going on the market next spring part of a 19ha block in total at a crossroads wether to go for the whole lot or not with not knowing what the near future holds for farming and a neigbor has the remainder we weren’t leasing for as long as we’ve been leasing also so don’t know what direction to go and don’t want to make enemies.

More I think of this …..more the thought of more hassle ,work and complication for what is marginal milk ….de stress yourself and uncomplicate your system and milk a few less cows ….your already feeding strong and buffering strong through stages of year on top of having a heavily stocked milk block ….only my thoughts but a z grazer will do nothing for you only give headaches and your return v neglible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Logic would say if you are thinking of buying, if it's all in one lot, go to the other renter and see if ye can go together for it. Or else contact the seller and see if they will divide your bit off in a separate lot.

But all depends if ye want to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's not in the sellers interest to split off part and lose a potential bidders.

Now depending on the otherenter that may be an option but some people have been known to have someone else buy land for them while they claim no interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Standback and do the sums on it. Chat to accountant and see if ye can afford it at whatever stocking rates. When doing plan up do it for the 19ha, as it may allow ye to maintain numbers should regs change. Don't know what land is making around ye but unfortunately land alongside the block tends not to come up too often.

Re not making enemies obv nobody wants to fall out with anybody but if ye feel ye need to go for the whole lot do so. If ye get it so be it but if not so be it, don't have to fall out over it. Whoever is successful is successful. Don't hold grudges and interact respectfully. Ye know the situation best so think it over with all scenarios and make the decision.

Also start the conversation with the banks as well. Afaik BOI have better rates at the minute but are more conservative than AIB.

Tanks have accelerated capital allowances so could put in the storage in a place that suits the yard if you were to go ahead with more cubicles. That can then be done at a later date If needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If their not in a company already how in God's name could 120-140 cows pay back the intrest/capital/principal repayments which are out of your after tax income, your taking 70k plus a year over a 20 year term, that's putting a very modest 12-14k purchase price a acre and having 100k sitting in the current account as a deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

As far as I remember you said you have land about 30 km away. Would you shift a portion of that to buy beside you? I have land 9 miles away and I'd jump at the chance.

I’ll just try answer ye all in one response.

We have 40 acres of an outfarm 30km away that could be offloaded to cover the purchase but it’s not something I’d be really for maybe a portion of it perhaps to cover some amount.

We currently milk around 110 cows on 96ac milking platform of which 82 is owned. So even if you got the lot without rented land amount of cows you could milk would never be crazy high numbers.

Wed be able to come up with a deposit of 100k already roughly.

We are looking at entering a limited company next year as I currently have off farm income of 45k + bonuses which could be left outside the company and the company would allow more cash in the farm to be freed up to make repayments as we had huge tax bills last two years and would prefer to put that money to work instead.

Id be happy enough to just buy our 6ha even though the lot would be great as I only see myself full time farming in the future but as @jaymala said it’s a huge undertaking and a big outlay in current conditions of farming.

Is @Jack98 working I think he said previously he was working. Even if not if he is married and his spouse is working it changes the draw down necessity. He probably has capital allowances so he can use these to defray drawdown. Interest rates may not always be 6%. The land is going to help with income from it as well.

As @Grueller said he has an outblock further away he can sell. If he has little necessity for other drawdowns. However a company is the most efficient form however it something I think is hilarious. Farmers use a company to defray the tax use the extra cash within the company to pay more for land ( IMO company formats have added 40-70% to land prices) and at the end of the day if you want to take the land out of the company you pay way more in tax again on an inflated land prices

If everyone had to buy Agri land outside company formats we would all be as well off

Slava Ukrainii

If I’m going full time farming in the next 10 years do you not think a limited company would not be the best route to go anyway to keep external income which I mentioned in my previous comment I have outside of the company and the land will be in the company for 30+ years anyway does it not make more sense to minimize the liability of a substantial repayments each year for the purchase of land in your opinion?

I agree that a company setup is the best to protect yourself from income tax.

However it becoming a monster on land prices. Lads are driving the price of land because they are buying the land out of gross income( taxed at 12.5%). But it's a false economy as the land is within a company structure in reality it not really yours. It will make it hard to split land banks down the line.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Out of curiosity why would you not sell the land 30 km away to buy the whole lot? It seems a no brainer to me..I have land 15 km away and I'm 10 years trying to get land beside me instead..

Unless you feel the the land further away has some sort of development potential or is vastly better quality or something?

• Advertisement

It is in two parts 26 acres with development potential and 14 acres up the road, land in that area is making 15-20k an acre whereas the place bounding us will be all out to make 12k but decent land too. I’d consider selling the 14 acres convincing the parents would be the issue I reckon as it’s my mothers home place and sentimental value etc

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

That's what I suspected with the development..with regard to the sentimental aspect, while understandable, my father missed out on several pieces of land locally..because he wouldn't sell the land away as when it was left to him he was told "I know you won't sell it" !!

It was nonsense, generations before us were much more mobile and willing to move or adapt to improve there lot..

If it's decent land make no presumptuous on what it will make. Lately other side of Limerick a block of land with a ROW through another farm with two gates to go through went to that money. Two dairy farmers got stuck in each other. AFAIK it was going through one of there farms and the other lad bounds it. No development potential not even site potential.

If there is two lads where they are incorporated 12-14k seems to be the same as 7-9k

Slava Ukrainii

Are facilities good on the farm? Much existing debt? Siblings/ family to see after? All things to take into account.

If working as well and you aim to go full-time in 10 years and price may be at the 12k an acre bracket tbh I think you should go for it. It's now when you're young and there is still the bit of help at home to get thru the initial burst. The first years of the loan repayments will have higher proportion of interest which can be written off, as it progresses the tax side of it comes more into play. With that and outfarm 130 cows would be comfortable in middle band under 220kgs N/ha.

Was making those sorts of repayments with no other income or help on farm with similar numbers and it was tight for a bit but your situation should be a bit better

As I said talk to the accountant and/or advisors or whoever put a few plans on paper and see where ye stand. Yer own decision at the the end of the day as everones situation is different but that's my tuppence worth.

Yard is fairly well see have 120 cubicles in home yard and finished tank for collecting yard lately which with existing tanks would have us having excess slurry storage for current numbers and comfortable for 130+ cows, 10 unit parlour that wouldn’t take much investment to extend to 14 also.

I have one brother who is in final year engineering in UCC who has already been offered a job in cork where he done placement after he graduates, he wouldn’t be as inclined to go milking but outfarm with development potential would have to be left for him to be fair to him.

Must get onto our advisor and see if it would be viable if working for another 10 years could make a nice dent in possible repayments and give a chance to free up some bit more money on farm for some investment to have farm well setup for when parents wind down and I’d go home full time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement