Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Ah sorry, that was Euro in the 2 - 5 columns. I was looking for kWh.

While annoying, I bet you're well quids in after moving. I certainly am. Nothing which I can retire on, but doing better than if I had stayed on the day/night meter

And if with the RM108, I think I'd still pick an RM107 anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Figured out why im missing data on the 27th, Had a scheduled power outage that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Anyone got a link for the pinergy signup form with the 100 quid credit? It's probably buried here somewhere too, trying to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Recently finished my DIY battery build and had smart meter installation 3 weeks ago. Waiting for it to show up on Pinergy system before changing for that sweet 6cent EV rate. My plan is to charge the battery at 6cent then use that to get through the day. However if we get a decent solar day and battery is still full come evening time I would discharge it back to the grid for 25cent per unit.

Am I doing something wrong here or does that seem too good to be true? Charging at 6 cent and discharging at 25cent even accounting for losses is still a 15cent gain or so. If you just did this with a 15kwhr battery say discharging to grid 10kwhr daily this alone could nearly justify the price of the battery. Over 500euro a year profit, payback from the battery in about 4 years depending on how much you got your cells for. What am I missing?

Cheers but where is the actual form? Do I need to call them?

Your not missing anything. That's how the numbers stack up.

You wouldn't be doing that year round as some of the year you'd be still trying to avoid the day rate, but in the summer, yeah, make sure your battery is empty by 2am and charge it right back up again in the 3 hrs.

Browser was acting up, form showed up on another. 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's even better. Sign up with above Cooline plan and you pay just 5c / kWh incl VAT. And you get paid 27.25c / kWh for export. Just got paid over €100 for my export for October alone (which isn't even in the top 6 best months for PV in Ireland) 😁

And of course you get €100 welcome bonus too. I'm with them 2.5 months now and all the electricity I buy is at the 5c rate... Charge my cars at 5c, heat all my water at 5c, run appliances at 5c, put some heating into my house at 5c and charge up my battery at 5c. It is very sweet indeed.

Of course this 5c rate applies only between 2AM and 5AM, so your system needs to be geared towards that. You need a home battery and you need to run all your stuff on timers at night

Would be great if they had a referral system 😉

Ah stop the greed now. Pinergy is making us rich enough as is. We should be glad to share with others 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

It really does seem too good to be true. With the rectifier I got from you I should be able to put about 21kWhr into my battery each night. This as well as all main appliances and heat pump on timers and putting 7kWhr into the PHEV my calculations have me paying nearly zero for electricity over the year and that's assuming a very modest amount of export. Considering on my current plan I had estimated a bill of 3k for the year that's some savings!

These price increases really make me glad I got the solar when I did, and even happier I went and built the DIY battery (eventually!!).

Yep. My electricity bill will be negative. And that includes driving both EVs, heating all my water, doing some electric room heating. And not even taking into account the government credits we are getting this winter. No income tax on it either as there is a threshold of €400 per person on the bill.

I could make my profit even bigger if I just used gas for all my (water) heating and exported the electricity otherwise used for this. But I'll gladly let go of some of this money, so I can be a bit greener and burn less stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Sorry - I'm confused about this offer... On the Pinergy main Smart page, it says:

Currently we have three Lifestyle plans:

Family Time – gives a 40% discount off our standard tariffs between 7pm and Midnight every day, when many families use most of their electricity.

Work from Home Time – gives a 30% discount off our standard rates during your working week (9am to 5pm Monday – Friday).

EV Drive – gives an attractive kWh discounted tariff between 2am and 5am – so you can charge while you sleep!

So does the linked offer correspond to one - or all - of these plans?

Thanks!

Those are 3 different plans. Best to go in via the link that myself and @graememk and others have provided, the Cooline link. For the cheapest rate (5c) and the €100 welcome bonus, select the "Drive Time" plan

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Seems my energy consumption has disappeared from the ESBN portal and seems to have coincided with the switch to smart drive plan.

I take the info should still be available on the ESBN portal?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

I have just switched from Energia D/N to Smart Drive plan, and my ESBN data prior to the switch also dissappeared, but has restarted again from the switch date. Data also available on your Energia account, but in a different format (1/2 hourly across the page by day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

thanks Niceday20. Will give it a day or two to see, switched on Monday. Have downloaded the data from the Energia website but it doesn't appear to show any export, which there has been.

@THE ALM - same here - no export in Energia data, but still in the ESBN

Haven't actually cross checked ESBN v Energia readings, but can't see why/how they could be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭curioustony

It seems ESBN clear the data when you switch suppliers. I suspect it's a GDPR thing.

I'm missing 6 days from last year when I switched. Have not bothered to ask for it.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

There would be zero export at 5PM these days. As it is dark by then 😂

Accept after 5pm no export in my screenshot, but export is being reported.

So all good then?

Bear in mind that the data as shown online with ESBN is very flaky in which date range is visible. And it is always at least 2 days old. Don't know why they can't make live data available

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Very tempted on Pinergy ! Am I right in thinking assuming about 52v nominal voltage across batteries, my solis being capeable of 100A charge, I could get about 15kW charge in over that EV tarrif? So it’s fine for my 10kW of Puredrive currently. Can’t see the other tariffs outside the 5c EV rate, if you do slip outside though m.

I’ve been looking at Ruixu batteries recently as touted by Will P, about 6.5k landed for 20kW in a rack. Fully electric house bulling about 17-18kW in the winter.

I'd run a test on your current day night. A lot of solis inverters throttle and can't sustain the 100 amps.

When you change to a Smart Plan, all previously held data within ESB Networks is wiped.

They told me this themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I got my new meter a XS211 (D/N) installed on Wednesday. I can't seem to see from the display which tariff i.e. T1 or T2, is in use at that point in time.

Has anybody had any experience of this?

Advertisement