Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It’s unreal. We’re almost two years into the invasion now, with the bulk of Ukrainians arriving the first few months…soon they will have had two years to get themselves settled and secure accommodation and get a job, but there’s not even mention of trying to wean them off the benefits. As you said, the only talk has been bringing new arrivals into line with benefits given in other counties, and even at that nothing has been decided yet!! There’s no hurry though, there’s only 800 Ukrainians still arriving here every week, many coming from other countries purely for the benefits on offer 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Sure loads will be going home to Ukraine for Christmas holidays with a double week Christmas bonus in their back pockets before returning to their free accommodation here in the new year, without penalty or forfeit. You seriously couldn't make this stuff up!

Don’t forget the double child benefit too this December!

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can you name me a mainstream party who won’t get lifted out of it at the doors come election time?

because they are all up to their necks in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

As will the irish doleys, while we have literally tens of thousands of vacant job roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Classic deflection, well done, importing more dole heads will solve that yes?

The “Irish doleys” who, in a genius move by our government, have even less money at the end of the week than Ukrainians. Someone on the dole here more than likely either are in council house or on HAP, both of which they still have to pay a portion of rent themselves. But our Ukrainian guests are in accommodation of which the government cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is no end goal..

not at EU or national level.

the long term guess from me is that in 50 years there won’t be an EU….unless it can get an about turn on its mindset to asylum / protection / immigration and start becoming practical, careful and loyal in terms of prioritising its paymasters ie. us EU citizens….the EU is pretty much solely funded by US, it’s paymasters… if another big hitter…say Spain, Italy, France, Germany quit, the rest will fall like a house of cards… your Varadkars won’t give a flying fûck… he’ll be sat back in luxury, a millionaire laughing at us all..

people across the continent will eventually kick up. We are only at the very beginning of this trouble…. The real consequences of what’s happening haven’t manifested themselves as yet. But in the end I’m predicting the EU will implode…

countries will be overpopulated, overwhelmed, underfunded and under resourced to cope . Dystopia will reign, no housing, no public transport, no easily accessible healthcare…crime rates will increase, they are increasing significantly here… we don’t have the Garda numbers or prison places to cope…..

the lunatics are running the asylum in Brussels, the Dàil is like an outpatient department… with Dr Varadkar in charge and poor Michael with his nerves not knowing where to look, what to say or where to turn to next…

CSO figures on crime are not good reading…rates of violent crime is now crazy high.

This is all known by politicians, it’s acknowledged by many but…. 🤷‍♂️ is their response. Also the IRPT report that ‘non’ Irish are way over represented in Irish jails… it was 1 out of 7 last time I saw the numbers last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

No changes coming soon as there is no other options for changes needed to form a government that will save the country.

No changes coming soon, Although there is alot more people starting to become alot more vocal and in some instances active against the floods of migrants its still not enough for changes.

Change will try to be made when the country resembles the countries these people are leaving. No infrastructure, total service breakdown, no law and order etc etc.

Then It's too late. Just look at our neighbours across the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

It's bonkers that this issue is in the forefront of every irish person's concern up and down the country. And yet we have zero public representatives taking it up and holding the government to account. Even just for the lack of planning ahead for the numbers arriving.

What is their excuse? The Housing crisis and Health System was already bad before bringing in 100k+ refugees. What did they think was going to happen?

I read a study a few years back from Netherlands that found refugees were a net fiscal burden for the duration of their lives. The study was comprehensive and followed test cases for like 15 or 20 years. Today, if you search google that article is long gone, replaced with obviously curated results all saying the exact opposite. All of them sourcing globalist NGOs. Makes me think this is part of a broader objective and gives me a bad feeling in my gut. I don't like it one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well there's another country that is regretting it's open borders policy, any guesses? No? Well if it is against open borders and is looking to row back on them, it has to be racist obviously - according to thinking of the the usual suspects.

OK I'll tell you, it's South Africa.

"With xenophobia rising in South Africa as its economic crisis deepens, Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has announced plans to toughen asylum and immigration laws in a move that will have far-reaching consequences for foreign nationals who seek political or economic refuge in the country."

Makes you think doesn't it?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

The only ones that are mentioning this are the likes of Carol Nolan in Offaly and a couple of the other independents. The party TDs are either ideologically fixated on this issue - I'm looking at Roderic and Joe O'Brien (formerly of the Immigrant Council of Ireland) and the rest of the greens, or are whipped into submission. Expect some more to start breaking ranks to save their skins. It's a bit like the prisoners dilemma, the first one to break gets the benefits. Once it starts it could be difficult to stop, but that last bit is just some speculation on my part.

I'm not surprised that studies are being hidden, and replaced with happy clappy ones saying that all is rosy in the garden. There's a lot of money and a definite push for this at a supranational level. People can make their own minds up about what the reasons for this might be.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

It's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The only ones that are mentioning this are the likes of

Not literally true. Some government TDs are making critical noises around the edges of the issue

But I'm not aware of any calling for wholesale changes in national policy and I'd be surprised if there are any before the general election

No, but Importing people to actually do the jobs will.

Think about it.

If they are on HAP or other government supports, they are getting plenty of financial help from the govt. Especially if they live in Dublin.

Someone on the dole is not paying 2k a month to rent their one bed apartment. The govt is paying it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Audio clips from a public meeting in Killarney at the weekend. Pay particular attention to the reception from Norma Foley’s international obligations line

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The politicians who use the "international obligations" answer never provide any details.

What, exactly, are these obligations?

AFAIK, the EU does not request us or require us to take in any specific amount of UKR refugees? Does it?

I presume some UN convention requires us to hear the case made by AS? Fair enough.

My suggestion is that we hear the cases, and make the response within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

On the UN, "Whether we accept it or not, we have obligations"... that's contradictory from Norma right there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Other european counties seem to have no issue turning off the tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My own thoughts exactly reading that… what obligations ? She’s some piece of work 😒

with people like her becoming elected representatives we really don’t stand a chance…

some situation, some sad state of affairs where the likes of her is fighting tooth and nail for people who have nothing to do with this country with more passion, determination and vigour then she ever has done for any Irish citizens….

only became a TD in 2020 yet the same year was handed a ministerial position, Education no less…

seriously out of her depth and not looking like she’s going to learn how to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

They need to get a grip on reality soon or the door will open for much worse alternatives. It’s stunning the lack of decisive political leadership in this country. It’s just a glorified county council. If I hear international obligations one more time. Every country should be entitled to put a Filter on what comes into the country regardless of whatever obligations. What’s the point in having a country otherwise.

with people like her becoming elected representatives we really don’t stand a chance

shame there wasn't some mechanism by which ordinary people could change those elected representatives....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ukrainian citizens are admitted to Ireland under the EU's Temporary Protection Directive (designed to deal with a sudden mass movement of people into the EU). But no, there is no legal obligation on Ireland to admit them....everything that has happened so far has been entirely voluntary.

To my knowledge though, no country in the EU has refused to take Ukrainian people and even non-EU states like Norway, Switzerland, Albania, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Georgia have taken considerable numbers.

Leo was making comment recently that we were very close to capacity and also that financial benefits for Ukranians need to be reviewed, citing examples of people moving from Ukraine to an EU country and then on to Ireland, where they would receive more in the way of benefits.

So there is a softening of the stance at the top of govt, but how this plays out in action is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't see any issue at all with the government saying it has run out of capacity for Ukrainian refugees, especially as there was never any particular 'legal' obligation to take them in the first place. There certainly would be a problem with reducing the payments either - even some Ukrainian people here have said they think the payments are too high.

the door will open for much worse alternatives.

Again with this spectre. There is no sign of these 'much worse alternatives' making any electoral headway even though the current immigration furore has been going on for nearly two years. This 'threat' is never going to persuade the established parties to change course on immigration because they don't believe it is real.

Oh they’re getting support alright, but not free as it is for the Ukrainians

They keep talking about our "International Obligations", but I've seen no detailed discussion about what those entail.

Does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It is real. Maybe not so much in this country. But in other European countries it is very much a real and absolute threat. And Ireland does not exist in a vacuum. A few like minded countries could have devastating consequences for the entire continent. It’s time mainstream politicians faced reality on this issue.

Advertisement