Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's digital radio stations to be "abolished"

Options
  • 13-11-2023 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 weyod73154

According to the times this evening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Fair enough. I’m sure they have minimal listenership and cost money to operate and licence music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Not all of em. Rte gold noticble by its abscence and lyric although not digital survives

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It will all be official tomorrow, it's hard to see any of the digital services surviving , including RTE Gold imho.

Listening to Gold, after 4pm, the last few weels, has left an impression that it's a station winding down - a chaotic playlist,frequent gaps and low production values unfortunately.

Stations with no income (excl RnaG) are low hanging fruit when it comes to cost cutting .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

2XM has always been a good station to hear an 'alternative' to the same old shite playlists on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Confirmed...

"The RTÉ Radio 1 Extra, RTÉ 2XM, RTÉ Pulse and RTÉjr digital radio stations will also close next year."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/1114/1416481-rte-strategic-plan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ah well, I liked Pulse myself and sometimes 2XM, but there's not much we can do I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭squonk

Seems to me that stations like this are the future. Like anything, if you get people listening to these servicss early on you might have them for life or at least you’d be able to transition them through the brand as they grew older and tastes changed. I’d sooner go big and bold and close 2FM. I’d imagine the revenue vs cost relationship there is way more stunted than the digital stations. Promote the digital stations better. You’d barely know they were there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

RTE Gold seems to have escaped the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gold obviously has a higher audience, but its the only one that costs real money to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Acosta

With 2xm gone, then that's basically no alternative music output from what's meant to be a public service broadcaster. That's not good enough.

There are still some alternative music programs on night time 2FM: The Greene Room (I have to admit that I did not know about that show, although I do know who Jenny Greene is!), Dan Hegarty - The Alternative, Cormac Battle, and that is not including some electronic music shows. I might even give some of the previous a listen, having not paid almost any heed to night time 2FM for a while! Radio 1, believe it or not, does have some eclectic (albeit not necessarily alternative) music shows in the evening, such as John Creedon's, and there is John Kelly's Mystery Train on Lyric FM.

That said, I do get the point being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Acosta

Haven't heard Jenny Greene, but would have assumed (maybe wrongly?), that it's dance music. That wouldn't be for me. I thought the Dan Hegarty and Cormac Battle shows was 2xm content that was repeated on 2fm? Actually, not sure Battle's one is.

In recent times when it comes to alternative music, at least BBC 6 Music has being great for giving exposure for new Irish bands and solo musicians, by playing their music at peak times.

Gold may have a small audience but brings in zero revenue, never has, never will. Keep paying Alan Partridge for breakfast and a bunch of other retired presenters to broadcast on an internet station. Jobs for the lads.

From the website:

The Greene Room

ON AIR • MON - THURS • 21:00 - 23:00, SUNDAYS • 22:00 - 00:00

Jenny curates a selection of the finest Indie & Electronic, including live chats with people from the world of music, film and entertainment.

8Radio.com is also good for playing Irish alternative rock acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

There are other RTE staffers with shows on RTE 2XM such as John Kenny (RTE Sport) and Pat McGrath (RTE Western news correspondant).

John's show has been on the station since it started around 15 years ago

I never knew that Pat McGrath presented a music show. Dave Fanning has done stuff on 2XM in the past.

RTE Pulse has presenters too. I do not know if they are employees of RTE though. So RTE will save on contractors there. Looking at the schedule, it looks like at least one may have been syndicated - Roger Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dan Hegarty is pretty much all that's left, and his 2FM show was reduced to only one hour a good while ago in the 11pm to 12am shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I dont see why they kept RTE Gold unless they have plans to expand and improve it and maybe get it on FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

How will the media charge work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i think reading the "plan" the new APP will be like BBC sounds a catch all with some of the axed stations having markers on the APP for Genres of music but no presenters...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭RINO87

Didn't know Pat did a music show either! What sort of stuff did he play? I know he used to "deee jaaaayyy" in a few Galway nightspots about 10-15 years ago

According to the DG yesterday in an interview with Prime Time, the audience that the dropped stations were aimed at do not listen to them, but use other means for their music. I suppose RTE Gold is the odd one out there as it is aimed largely at a different older audience.

He’s likely right but RTE created this outcome on their own. The BBC are great at cross promotion. They play ads regularly for shows available on BBC Sounds and hype the platform as a destination for the stuff you want to listen to. They don’t particularly reference the underlying music station services as such thing they do mention radio 6 or radio 4 occasionally. In RTEland you’d swear that the digital services were rival stations. There is no cross promotion at all that I can see.

Im in my late 40s and feel that I’m probably the last generation where radio was a destination in and of itself and there were appointment shows. Streaming and alternative music services served to take over fairly quickly in my 20s. RTE Gold probably benefits from a legacy listenership who are determined to go and find well known presenters at their new home. I don’t blame younger listeners for going elsewhere and there are no efforts to try and keep them either.

RTE Radio 1 has a future. No matter who we are we all reach a stage where we tune in for the news and current affairs there at least. 2FM isn’t even keeping its head above water in its own demographic. If nobody is listening to Pulse or 2XM and 2FM isn’t washing their face then they have a wider problem there. Personally I’d turn 2FM into a serious hybrid electronic and indie music service, let go of the bloated overpaid on air presenters like Doireann Garihy, O’Callaghan, the 2 Johnnies, and any other crap. They’re evidently not working and listeners don’t seem to give a crap. You mightn’t change the world with a serious music focused station but you’ll have a dedicated listenership. Whether those are the people you want is another story. Exiting niche music digital spaces but keeping your flagship youth station on FM and digital doesnt seen like a strategy. Cut 2FM from FM and cut the silliness would be another alternative. .

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭RINO87

You might be able to class some of the stuff on the blue of the night on lyric as alternative, and he certainly plays a good bit of Irish. The show is mad altogether, you could hear anything, I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It is probably the station/format with the most potential for commercial scale development. It also has some heavy hitter presenters on it, some of whom are or have been RTE staff or long term contractors. That aspect might also be a factor - maybe there is a significant cost of presenter disentanglement? It is by far the most costly of the digital station offerings to run, so you would have to think that it is either too complicated (staffing wise) to wind down, or they see some potential in it.

Moving Gold to FM would be an ecumenical matter for Comisiún Na Mean (the days of RTE popping services and transmitters on air at will, are gone) and as one loyal RTE Gold listener has often told me, if they turn it commercial (ad breaks) it will change a key factor of its current appeal.

As for closing down the other largely automated and practically volunteer run digital radio stations, I can't see a big cost saving there. Could it be that closing down the doomed digital radio stations and the + 1 TV services will reduce carriage costs on Saorview and streaming services, or allow for one of the Saorview mux to be shut down entirely, with all remaining services carried on one?

There are words but no cost saving details coming out about the announcements made, so far - too many questions and few answers, at the moment.

I took the ditching off the +1 channels and the shooting sheen off the digital channels as a kind of spiteful 2 fingers to the licence posters and, rather, those who didn’t pay lately. I do agree with KB though as a +1 service probably required extra equipment, maintenance and personnel to run when RTE player provides much more granular access to what you want to see.

Mind you sadly the mixers will be the over demographic who don’t know how to get the player or use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Agreed, they can't just set up a host of dedicated nationwide FM frequencies to carry RTE Gold. Does RTE Gold have the potential to generate healthy revenues? By definition of its format - definitely! But I think it's platform leaves it somewhat restricted in that regard.

You also have to question if Gold were to be enhanced in an effort to generate revenue, at what point do you lose the attraction or appeal as to what made it successful in the first instance?

As for the service that is on FM (RTE 2FM), that really needs to be addressed. I don't think that RTE 2FM will ever flip it's format so it needs to target that audience aggressively, efficiently and effectively which is something that its current "sound" just does not do. RTE say that they are committed to 2FM but commitment is one thing, having the balls to radically change the overall sound of the station - well that's quite a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I'm just wondering does Management at RTÉ Radio 1 have any plan whatsoever for all those occassions that RTÉ Radio 1 Extra carries other live broadcasts such as Extra Live Sports Coverage, Sunday Morning Mass at 11:00am and other material when RTÉ Radio 1 FM is not carrying such items. In recent years, those who were concerned about the ending of RTÉ Radio 1 (LW) Long Wave service were given repeated assurances that all this would continue to go out on "RTÉ Radio 1 Extra" and now it's to be axed altogether along with numerous other RTÉ Digital stations which were all pulled from DAB when RTÉ closed down it's DAB Multiplex although; these former RTÉ DAB stations survived online and also via some platforms like Saorview etc; following some public concerns expressed. Unfortunately, DAB never developed properly here in the Republic of Ireland following it's initial launch way back in the day. There was little or no promotion of RTÉ Digital Radio stations down through the years apart from RTÉ Gold being carried on RTÉ Radio 1 FM during daytime hours in the early days of the COVID 19 Pandemic when there was little or no sports coverage in the tv/radio schedules which was in addition to it's graveyard hours simulcast before "Risin' Time" on Radio 1 FM.

I know in recent years more sports coverage like football internationals has tended to be carried on 2FM Radio but it seems odd when it's a mainly youth music/youth chat station which is probably in continuous decline given the changing ways of this particular audience demographic which 2FM would have easily attracted in the past.

One would hope that senior management at RTÉ Radio would carefully consider all audiences and the right home for various programmes & coverage as they chop and change services once they close down all of those former RTÉ DAB Radio outlets earmarked in this cost-cutting plan. Those services that survive need proper schedules and need to be promoted in a better way IMHO. I also wish RTÉ Gold does not continue "to come across" as a station for those presenters just waiting to reach retirement age. Programmes should have some energy, enthusiasm, continuity and real purpose. I like experienced presenters who have been on radio and I would NOT support an age ban however; I just hope they are broadcasting interesting shows and not "just going through the motions."

I sincerely hope that a slimmed down RTÉ Radio & Television is more focused on better quality rather than quantity going forward.

Post edited by AwaitYourReply on

Advertisement