Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's this country and as always the next general election that Irish political parties are mostly concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, this issue has the potential to split the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

This is a big issue in this country. It’s absolutely stunning to be increasingly hearing about it in conversations with ordinary people every day and then to hear almost nothing about it or a very different narrative on the mainstream media which is supposed to reflect the topics of conversation and opinions among the population.

But apparently not in a way that is going to influence how significant numbers vote in the next general election, which is as I say is always the top priority for Irish political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

That may be the case but it if it was that clear cut in regards to predicting and influencing the opinions of the electorate then there would not be any sport of politics as such. Manys the candidate over the years have lost seats for failing to be in tune with the opinions of his/her electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Another placement with little to no consultation. The government are sh*tting all over communities across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would imagine 'moral' obligations as per being a member of the European Union. You're speaking as if countries saw Ukrainian refugees as being somehow a burden in 2022, when in reality most European countries willingly volunteered to take them, including non EU states like the UK, Norway and Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

If it were a 'moral' obligation, they could just say as much. But that's not what the gov have been saying. They say "International Obligations", and that suggests internationally recognised ones, such as the UN Charter, international treaty's, EU treaty's etc. Weird that nobody has challenged them on that.

I suppose the point im making is, that if we have International Obligations, what are they specifically, where are they detailed, and how do we extricate ourselves?

Moral obligation, international obligation, being a member of the 'international community', it's all pretty much the same thing. When war broke out in Europe, everyone rushed to help.....an act of solidarity, so to speak.

I mentioned Switzerland and Norway taking in Ukrainian refugees (65,000 and 60,000 respectively), so it wasn't even an 'EU' thing, more like the whole of Europe reacting to the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Peadar Tobin asked a question in the Dáil to Helen McEntee for the number of deportations by year since 2012. in 2012 273 people were forcibly deported, in 2021 5 people were forcibly deported.

Jesus Christ, that is criminal.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement

I've read that the reason for this is that it's way more hassle and expensive for the State than it looks. It's not that just someone stamps a form, the Guards arrive at the person's residence that day and they are put on a plane a couple of hours later.

It involves court proceedings and perhaps appeals, detention for several days, Gardai have to accompany the person all the way to the destination country etc....in other words, costs a fortune and uses up valuable time and resources. I was reading also that Australia is reluctant to use the deportation process for this very reason - I don't know the precise figures, but you could be looking at 50,000 Australian dollars just to deport a single person out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So bottom line is that people refused leave to stay can stay as long as they want until theres another amnesty.

They can vote them out to replace them with similar like minded politicians, theres no choice.

Likely most are coming from safe countries and tourists won't be looking for school care or GP care

"We see nightly on our televisions the effects of war and the effects of fear on people.We are very lucky that there are no bombs dropping on us, that people in other parts of the world are living with on a daily basis

“So when people come to out country looking for help we should make an effort to welcome them. They are being dropped in a place they have never been before and speaking a language they do not understand.

“We are a very decent welcoming people here in Dromahair and with some good will we can make this work.Whatever label is put on them these are people who need help and shelter.”

When it was suggested that \Dromahair was not big enough to cater for the numbers arriving, she said: “If that hotel was full we would manage and if they were coming here as tourists we would welcome them and if we want we will find a way.”

Pretty much, yes, but they are also stateless i.e. they have no PPS number, cannot work legally, are not entitled to any benefits or social welfare or accommodation, no medical card etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Again, yes they are! Do I have to mention again the lady who continued to live in direct provision and study for 10 years while she had a deportation order against her for 9 of those years. All she had to do was sign in with the immigration officer every two weeks to say she was still in the country.

Eventually she was given leave to remain, because they nearly alway get leave to remain in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

That’s an interesting report from Killarney, a town changed dramatically in the last year & now a dumping ground for ‘international protection applicants’, who seem to be mainly young single men. Fair play to the people of Killarney for making a stand, the same is happening in Fermoy. Towns are being destroyed by this government

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

It's not just Killarney, it's the whole county. Hotels that were closed for years are opening up and there's money to be made. Lots and lots of money. Still good to see the beginnings of pushback... long may it continue.

If you don't like any of the options on the menu you need to get into the kitchen and rustle up something yourself, that's how democracies work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Heard a radio advert on Newstalk promoting people with spare rooms or houses to rent to Ukraine via logging onto gov.ie - has this one been running for long?

• Advertisement

I saw on Twitter a Ukrainian lad who had been working in Canada for the last year posting online looking for a room and saying the government would pay for his accommodation at a rate of 800 euro a month. So he fled the war zone of Canada?

Any Ukrainians coming here from safe countries should automatically be put on the next plane back

Been running long enough now. It was raised from €400 to €800 about a year ago, obviously when the goodwill started to die down so the government needed to incentivize people giving up a room.

You’d have to wonder what effect it’s had on availability of rental rooms across the country. You’d see rooms being made available online in Leitrim or Roscommon, etc under the the ARP scheme (what it’s called) where in normal circumstances the homeowner would never get €800 for the room, thereby putting an artificial floor in the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Do we know how many IPOs are in Killarney and how many hotels are occupied by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

What is happening in Gaza is horrendous, no question, and my heart goes out to the Palestinians. However, on a seperate note, the 30 Irish citizens which are trying to leave, which the Irish government are trying to.help get out as well .. I would like to see an immigration check done to.see how many of these recieved Irish citizenship on the back on AS, refugge, IPA, or whatever.

We hear and read too many stories of ex- AS/IPA/Refugees who once get they Irish passport returning home (ie. 'Unsafe countries') to visit family, study, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Just because it's hard doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. The country needs to show that it is not a soft touch and it should be made alot tougher to get in and easier to be thrown out. When people get the message that they won't get into the country unless they have the i dotted and ts crossed they will find another soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Nobody asked my opinion about such obligations. Any candidate that offers to get tough and nip this nonsense in the bud, gets my vote. I really don't care what party they come from.

From my own POV i moved to a new part of the country, called around to register with a GP in the area, most would not even consider taking me, but one was new to the area and I was put on waiting list and was told a place would come up within a year. I'm a PAYE worker and have never taken dole in my life, no medical card here.

Well a year later a big war broke out in Ukraine and when I called back to the GP, am now told there is no waiting list and they will not take anybody. Yet I am told that Refugees get a medical card, and get assigned to these same local GP's.

Meanwhile I have to drive 30 mins to the only GP i could find. So that's 30min there, an hour or so at the GP, then a 30min drive back. It's costing me and my employer. And I pay cash up front. I've had some health issues and have had to do this journey 5x this past year. Could be worse I suppose, but this is not right.

Pure idiot being a PAYE worker huh.

50,000 Australian dollars, not sure what the conversion would be to deport someone from Ireland, but the € equivalent would probably pay for itself in less than two years when you take the following into account:

• “Let us say that approximately 13,000 applicants for international protection would cost the Irish tax payer approximately €500m per year, if Ireland were willing to accept a cap of 100,000 applications per year, the cost to the Irish taxpayer would be €3,846,153,846.15 – noting that this equates to a cost of €38,000 per year for accommodation and meals alone – noting that this figure does not include medical costs, legal costs, education costs etc. It should, however, be noted that some reports suggest that the cost of accommodating an asylum seeker per year is approximately €26,000 (or €70.00 per night), however, this figure does not appear to marry with the overall costs per year that have been discussed in Dail committees or parliamentary questions”

Source: https://ichr.ie/irelands-legal-obligations-regarding-asylum-and-immigration/

So it costs the state the odd €30,000 per year to ONLY house and feed 1 asylum seeker, nevermind all the other services, costs and resources required in their keep… whatever it costs to deport someone, it would actually be a cost saving measure.

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Listening to that clip from Killarney and it’s so obvious the same line being trotted out by all in government.the man who said that the anger is bubbling up all over the country is palpable was on the money.

looks like the Green minister for immigration unquestioned is on a sole mission to destroy the tourist industry to such an extent that there won’t be any tourists coming here so No emissions.win win for the green lunatics

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Lol.

Parents fearful of teenagers going out after dark?

I didnt realise that the govt had imported 74 ninjas, each harbouring a vendetta against the good folk of Tipperary.

Advertisement