Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

I assume that the DG is paid €250000 for full time job. i.e. at least 35 hour week. As far as I see, Non of the talent do more than 20 hours a week. So will they be paid pro-rata, i.e. about €145000 or is it RTE's intention to pay them €250000 for part time job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

joe duffy ~ 450k a year for 6 hours work a week, ~40 weeks a year. I reckon he might have to take a haircut to his salary to only 250k a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,643 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully not. Bit of a mistake to set up a ‘cap’ in my opinion as that could become the ‘norm’.

How does Miriam O’Callaghan justify her wedge? and Ballsy?

Is there something I am not seeing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The new RTE plan seems not to be radical enough. No sell off (just examination), no clarity on the 400 voluntary redundancies (over 2 or some sources 4 years, 2028).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

To quote the late, great George Carlin, it's a big club and you ain't in it.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭ForestFire

"The "Angelus" can remain FTA, but the likes of Room to Improve which is a popular broadcast goes on the premium service."

I believe the proposal on the table for the Angelus is the first 30sec will be free to air, but if you want to watch the full 60-secs you'll need to sign up for the premium level.

If you want Full HD and Dolby Atmos for them bells, that's going to be another add-on like "Boost" for NOW TV!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I know this is quite off topic but just watching Kevin Bakhurst being interviewed on The Tonight Show and my parents asked me to Google what age he was. Collective shock when Google said he's going on 58! He looks a lot younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The benchmarking to Bakhurst's pay looked great...at first glance that is

Lets benchmark that properly - €250k pa for a 39hr week = €123 per hour

That's better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tow

Kevin said himself, he is on over 300k when car allowance and pension is taken into account. Talent still on mad money for a few hours work. There are other radio stations were the talent have a normal job to top of their radio gig.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

had the misfortune to have to listen to him a some weeks ago in a dentists waiting room,was going to ask the receptionist for a pair of plyers and pull my teeth myself instead of listening to that...how is he on that kind of money?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

RTE don't want the competition to snap him up. They, of course, are competing against themselves and thankfully have not only the money we give them but also the full safety of knowing that no matter how poorly the business of RTE is run all they need to do is ask our elected representatives for yet another top up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Story from “RSVP Live”

Says RT is poised to take over the lunch time slot on Today FM and also do “holiday cover” for Virgin Radio UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

On his Insta this morning (30 mins ago) he was in the back of a taxi in London, on his way to a building beside the Thames, where he will be making a big announcement (due about now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Let him on. The British public are welcome to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

aye...i can see the likes of the bbc trying to poach him allright,such a talent!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Midwest Radio in Mayo have a massive listenership, well into 90% of the audience available.

They pay their presenters on average 100 euros per show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I can't believe RTE app sent a notification for this 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

That's pretty good work out of tubridy? Sounds like a big slot to get?

• Advertisement

He's on twattering with Chris Evans right now 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭archfi

Yeah, Pat Kenny just announced Tubridy's move to Virgin UK

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

He finds radio "the most beautiful medium of them all" you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭bigroad

How much did he pay Virgin uk to take him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

He makes himself sound like the simple little country boy in the big city. He's a multi-millionaire with a long career as Ireland's biggest broadcaster, not a school-leaver! I'm surprised he's not living in digs, with a kindly landlady who cooks all his meals and does his laundry, the way he goes on. Playing bland music and talking shite for an apathetic audience in the morning is perfect for him though. He'll just be a background noise on an office radio that nobody will pay much attention to. There's a reason Alan Partridge presented a show called Mid Morning Matters; it's a desert in the radio schedule. They don't put the best of the best there. Congratulations Ryan. Now please stay over there, and stop sending us updates and "teasing" your next move (seriously whoever writes those Indo articles where Tubs is constantly teasing his next move needs a punch in the face. Such slack, lazy writing.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Maybe he could present TLLS as part of his 250k contract saving RTÉ PK’s salary 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I've been involved in a number of sectors over the years and one thing I've noticed again and again is that you just can't surpress some people. Their talent, brilliance even, means they always recover from setbacks.

Ryan lost his job in the place he had worked all his life, was dragged before a parliamentary committee, was plastered on the front of the tabloids, his finances discussed on TV and radio for months. All because his employers opted to pay him in an unorthodox but perfectly legal way.

The pressure he endured would have broken many people, but not him. Only a few months later he has a prominent position in a major UK station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

He really needs to expand his vocabulary. Come on Ryan get a few synonyms for beautiful under your belt if you're going to make it in the UK. You can't rely on nepotism and lack of standards now you're standing on your own too feet.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tubs and his agent are paying Virgin to let him present. Interesting to see how long it lasts. If it's a bust, he'll be back here saying how he hates being away from home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement