Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

The discussion I was having with the other poster was about the Ballyvolane development and their false statement about it so it was relevant to your commenting on the discussion. Yes I grouped this person with others as being anti car ownership and against investment in road infrastructure due to what they said about the new development not having access to anything without having a car which I have shown is not true. I did appologise to them if they had supported the project of the north ring road elsewhere as they stated later and once again I am explaining this was due to not investigating their post history and just responding to what they had posted in reply to what I had posted about the Ballyvolane development. I don't understand why you can't read what I actually said in the post you quoted:

"I am sorry if you have posted in the past about the benefits of a proper north ring road but I did not investigate your posting history and this was not obvious from what you posted in reply to my post about a new development in Ballyvolane."

If you are saying you are most likely not going to reply to me that is fine by me but don't be making false accusations about me and setting up straw man arguments by twisting what I actually said into some sort of personal attack which it was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yes I'm not sure where this one currently stands. There were some modifications proposed to it but I'm not sure what was eventually agreed. The cycle lanes stay in, no idea about the proposed alternative cycle route, some of the bus stops changed. I believe the new scheme will have a cycleway (maybe footpath + 2-way) through the front of it, rather than the greenway on the West of the road. But the problems aren't really in getting around Ballyvolane itself in my experience, rather the problems are getting into town, or into the Northside from Ballyvolane. There's quite a lot of East-West rat-running at the moment, which this scheme can't reasonably address. It's a good scheme, I submitted in favour of it, but it's just a drop in the ocean unfortunately.

BusConnects and Northern Distributor are what's badly needed.

OK I disagree with you. And it appears that the Cork City Draft Development Plan explicitly disagrees with you too. I think it's possible to create 15 minute neighbourhoods. I don't think it's a "cloud cuckoo land idea". I agree that there's a crisis in housing and agree that we need to move fast but I don't believe that we should repeat known mistakes because we're in a difficult situation. Again, nowhere in any government plan (local or national) have I seen such a view stated.

But it's ok to disagree, that's fine by me. I'm not always right, I've been wrong about plenty of things before.

Yes there are some shops, that's fair. I had it in my head that there should be shops nearer, and that the back of this estate is going to be about the limits of walkability, but that's right, there are shops within reasonable walking distance. People there can reasonably get their groceries sustainably. Particularly with home delivery etc that Dunnes can do.

I agree with Hans that this scheme is "just a drop in the ocean unfortunately". I don't think it will fully address some of the issues with traffic movement in the area. I am unsure of how the current version of the improvement is planned but there was talk of the city council taking some of my parents' front garden along the road being improved and the latest they have been told is that this is no longer part of the plan.

• Advertisement

Quick question, do you think Ballyvolane needs more apartment complexes?

I think the Northern distributor is needed urgently now: plan out all of the land around Banduff Road, and create a formal link directly Westwards to the N20 and in an ideal world a Kilbarry train station. Get the 201 orbital bus to leave the current North Ring Road, go on this distributor, go through Hawthorn Mews and stop at Kilbarry train station

Sorry to dwell on the topic further (I think we're all confident of where each other stand now) but it's the connections to some of the big employment centres that are difficult. And the new Sarsfield's Court hospital will need to be well connected too. A local roads improvement scheme is welcome, and is needed, but the big-project stuff is not happening yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I believe CMATS is up for review next year, I wonder will the dunce in the Department refuse to publish the review unless all the roads are taken out like he did with the Limerick one. Cork needs the 3 roads proposed in it urgently but there’s been bugger all movement on either of them since 2020, and the North Ring has been de facto defunded.

It’ll just delay things for a few years until an adult is put in charge in the Department again and a couple of million has to be blown on fixing it up again

I thought there was a route announcement on the Northern Distributor a few months ago? Am I mistaken on that? Was it wishful thinking on my part?

I'd also be optimistic that the Sarsfields' Court hospital could hopefully provoke some road upgrades in any revised CMATS or they'll be implicitly encouraging rat-running through Upper Glanmire. I don't know how they'll square the lack of a Northern Distributor with the cycle area plan and busconnects, and for that reason I suspect it will be included. Again could be wishful on my part.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Route selection was meant to be complete last quarter so hopefully will be out soon. I’d expect development to be phased at best.

It’s also been renamed the Cork Northern Distributor Multi Modal Route I note.

• Advertisement

Its not that specifically Ballyvolane needs them in my opinion but the city needs more affordable homes and low rise apartments within 30 odd minutes walk of the city centre seem to me like a viable option to address this need.

The changes you mention sound like they could help address congestion issues in the area. I think since they shelved the north ring motorway project a smaller road that is designed to stay free flowing linking the N20 to the M8 near Sarsfield Court could have a very positive effect on the long term development of the north side of the city. A link then from the N22 to the same point on the N20 could in time create a complete northern side of the city distributor road which could keep a lot of traffic out of the city centre.

Only issue with that is this road is going to have houses built all along it. You needed the NRR to be able to close the city to traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Even if it was approved and funded it still wouldn’t be built with the greens in government and no doubt the NIMBY objectors delaying it for 10 years or more despite half of them never even setting foot in the location.

I don't think that's a helpful way to think of it. For instance I'm extremely pro-active-travel but I know that a distributor without a bypass is a recipe for failure. A new distributor without a bypass would have high volumes of traffic, HGV's etc.

The new distributor needs to facilitate sustainable development. It needs to be bus, cycle and walk oriented, and should encourage development. It should have local and commuter and school traffic for the most part. Whereas the bypass needs to be HGV oriented and predominantly not local traffic. People proposing one without the other are proposing something that won't be very sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭BagofWeed

I'm all for the distributor and the NNR but both should have been done before the increase in nimbyism and anti car rhetoric. The distributor will have several flash points for nimbyism: the veer off from the existing nrr over to the Banduff and Rathcooney Roads/ Banduff House expect opposition from residents, westbound from the Kinvara Link Road goes through fields near Murphy's Rock and already this year there has been calls to put a development ban there Locals calling on EU to designate Murphy's Rock an Special Area of Conservation (echolive.ie), Sweeneys Hill the people of Rathpeacon won't be happy that both NRR and the distributor will be cutting through their community in the case of the NRR it will be below An Bothar Dearg, the section from the Blarney Rd, Hollyhill towards and over the Lee also will get some environmentalists upset too especially as the NRR would also require a bridge further west along the Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

At least all the empty units will be incorporated and filled now will make a difference to cook street as well

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The entrance on Cook Street will be huge for the street. Too bad the Easons one looks like an emergency exit, but the new windows make a huge difference there. Hopefully all of the units will be full by 2025. I can't wait to see the new shopfront on Patrick Street, with new limestone pillars and plinth. Oliver Plunkett Street was supposed to get the same design but sadly the council said that it wasn't original enough to the building

Work will be done in phases to allow for the shop to remain open. From SkyScraperCity:

Phase 1

• Demolition of internal walls in the former Vero Moda building and the Tiger building to allow them to be joined together, as well as any other necessary construction and demolition
    • Everything but the facades of 2 and 3 Cook Street will be demolished, with the new construction following. The other three buildings, the corner building on OPS and the building on the southern corner of Elbow Lane will be own door buildings
    • The external walls of the existing Penneys building that face onto Eblow Lane will be demolished
    • The footpath on Patrick Street will be surrounded in hoarding, with the existing loading bays outside the building converted to a covered and protected footpath. Some of the Cook Street facade will be hoarded off to allow for support structures for the retained facades to be erected
    • The street lighting on Patrick Street will be removed, stored and sadly returned before hand-off
    • Existing paviors on Patrick Street will be replaced where damaged

Phase 2

• Work will start on the southern half of the existing Penneys building, i.e. 99-102 Oliver Plunkett Street, as well as work on Robert Street
    • The northern footpath on Oliver Plunkett Street will be hoarded off and the road converted to a shared space with pedestrian priority (this will include relevant road markings and signage)
    • The above is also proposed for Robert Street. The existing concrete footpath will be replaced before hand off but I haven't been able to find details of what this entails yet as there are no drawings up yet
    • Damaged paviours on Oliver Plunkett Street will be replaced before hand-off

Phase 3

- Work will then start on the northern half of the existing Penneys building

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Elbow lane will still be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Work on MacCurtain Street looks to be almost finished.

Nice to see trees there but I'm not sure about the decision to put them in massive planters rather than in the ground. The c. 1metre cubed planters take up a lot of footpath space. In places, it seems they are there purely to stop cars from driving and parking in pedestrian areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

In Cork City center for the 1st time in a few years and had time to stroll around a bit. Mixed feeling about the stroll around. Lovely job done on the square deal site. Love the restoration of the windows etc but it makes the wine wines off licence look a sorry site. A little TLC to it would go a long way. Definitely scope for apartments on the upper floors above the office licence.

Now I know Washington St wasn't exactly 5th avenue but my word absolutely terrible even the bus stops looked like they could do with a good powerwash.. In the 13 yrs I lived in the city don't think I ever saw it so bad

1st time seeing the famous "trees" terrible. No more needs to be said. A lot of work still to go for the city. Hopefully keep things going. Hopefully Mango in old Quills will be opened soon and the restoration with the penny's works with continue to brighten the place. A number of buildings on both Patrick St and Oliver Plucknett St getting painted while i was in town. Actually on the subject of painted building the building across from the body shop nice restoration on it pityy about the vape shop. Jow many phone, vap and nail bars does the city center need. Cheepens the place

Shout out to Quinllins seafood bar and the fab chowder I had there for lunch. Nice to see on the dry day any restaurants or coffee shops that had outdoor seating people were using them. One good thing from covid.

For a Wednesday 5 weeks from Christmas the place was dead though.

Post edited by lisasimpson on

Yeah, general cleaning and maintenance of the city leaves a lot to be desired.

Elbow Lane will still be there. I think they’re taking over half of it to connect to the Cook Street buildings. MacCurtain Street’s trees are in planters due to complex basements and utilities they found after planning

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Fine Wines off license just got a new sign over the door. Still doesn't look great. Nice friendly staff though.

I wonder how long we'll be waiting for any business to go into the old Wine Vault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Of the 600 to 900 under construction, how many will be completed before end of 2024?

Do you have figures on houses under construction?

I believe I saw a picture before showing that that building has red brick underneath its paint like the rest of the street. I’d love to see it exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

With the exception of possibly St Kevins, all should be completed before the end of 2024. I don't have anything on houses no but I'd imagine it would be significantly more than apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Thanks.

Should put a dent in housing crisis.

Also lots of student apartments coming online also - at least 1150.

If Corks population rises about 1% a year, then supply of 1000 units a year should meet demand, although there's a huge backlog.

Advertisement