Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

If you can't distinguish the difference between a serious post and a sarcastic post then maybe a message board isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sorry what's fantastical about it?

I'm fierce sure it's been spouted many, many times in this thread, 'sure why doesn't Hamas have all the civilians in the tunnels with them' etc.,

So what's so fantastical about the comparison to other nations that have tunnels under civilian infrastructure?

Not to mention they do their luxury... shopping.. in the tunnels... and uhm ... ahem -- paragliders and the like. so like IDK what to say to you there.

Omar Shaban, a Gaza economist, estimated that smuggling comprised about 90% of market activity in the area and is worth around $30-$40 million a month. The tunnels, he said, were “integrated into the economy. We have a new economic structure now, a new business community.” 

Or is what I just read propaganda, you tell me: https://www.terrorism-info.org.il/Data/pdf/PDF_08_262_2.pdf

in your time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Oh is that the plan? Only ash like snow on the surface? Not a bit of civilian infrastructure left standing? Off to the Sinai?

Or at least, I observe, that's what many of your posts have advocated for (which many experts bluntly point out, is ethnic cleansing). So that's what I assumed this post meant also. Apologies and please correct me if I have it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Pretty much everything they have released has been thoroughly debunked at this stage as pure and total lies to try and justify their war crimes.

Meanwhile over one in every 200 people in Gaza has now been murdered by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Seeing as he doubled down on it, I don't think it was sarcastic, but valiant defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was more of a reflection on the thread going on about Montreal and ice storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

The video you appear to be referring to is from CNN. CNN made it clear that there were restrictions (no facial identifications of mast IDF personnel for instance). But CNN also stated that they were allowed to take away whatever they filmed, without any pre-editing or censorship.

If it is a fake, then CNN must be stupid beyond belief. Which I don't think is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

For the record I've protested against quite a few things in my time and have strong opinions about the way Israel behaves in the West Bank (that's much closer to a slow ethnic cleansing than what's going on in Gaza) and how Palestinian Arabs have been betrayed and used by their leaders, Israel and their fellow Arab neighbours. I would condemn all of them from the corruption and theft by Arafat to the ineptitude of Fata to the savagery of Hamas to the barbaric indifference and manipulation of them by Israel, Egypt, Jordan and Syria.

I've had a post deleted for mentioning Yemen so I'll be careful in my response.

Over 100,000 children have been killed in the ongoing war in Yemen with total deaths from war, disease and starvation numbering over 350,000, a proxy war fought between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Saudi Arabia has, since that war started, bought football teams, won the rights to host the Soccer World Cup and has bought professional Golf lock, stock and barrel. Where are the protests? Where are the calls for boycotts? Where are the calls for the expulsion of ambassadors? Who's stopped watching Football?

I think most people here, even the ones who totally condemn the actions of Israel in Gaza, consider Hamas to be terrorists. Their leadership live in Qatar and their funding runs though Qatar. Qatar owns Paris Saint-Germain and quite soon could own Manchester United. Will any of the Manchester United fans here who are protesting against Israel stop supporting United if that sales goes ahead?

This isn't like some bigot giving out about BLM or Pride. It's a bizarre double standard applied to the actions of one country while ignoring those of its neighbours. I'm not saying that people are anti Semitic or anything like that. I'm questioning why they get so wound up about the actions of Israel. I'm asking them to question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Israel raise the flag over Al-Shifa hospital.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

It would be far from the first time CNN uncritically regurgitated Israeli lies that were used to justify warcrimes without doing any proper fact checking. They've already had to issue an apology for promoting the completely fabricated story of beheaded babies. As has been pointed out, anyone who can read Arabic has already thoroughly debunked the calendar that was supposed to be a prime piece of evidence, yet CNN never noticed that. Why would you trust them on anything else when it looks clearly inconsistent in the footage and it goes against what all primary sources from doctors on the ground have been saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Propaganda from boards.ie posters.

You need a break from it lad.

I'm not suggesting that Israel is above using misinformation and propaganda, all sides are in a war, but do you think that they are so inept at it? Plenty of IDF personnel can speak and read Arabic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Israel are really trying to garner the ire of the world. Who is advising their politicians and military commanders? People had so much sympathy for the Israeli people after the barbaric attacks on Oct 7 but somehow Israel have turned it around with an illegal massacre and untold destruction. It's like they had this annihilation plan all along and just waited for the moment to enact it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Israel are really trying to garner the ire of the world. Who is advising their politicians and military commanders?

Yes, the level of triumphalism from many in the IDF and Israeli government is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Where are all the genocide cheerleaders gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh lets see.

Lets pretend I am foreigner working in hospital in Gaza, that is run by hamas, and I should tell the world they are using the hospital as a base.

I wonder how that would work out for me.

If I was a woman I might expect to be, you know, gang raped as per their norm before they kill me and if I was a man I would expect swift throat slitting. Then they claim I was killed in Israeli bomb.

FFS I really often wonder what age people are here.

Oh before you argue they could say something if they have already left, they might realise others they would care about would suffer in their place.

And how does anyone know that ex workers from there haven't fed information to security services in secret about what is going on?

The arguments here are fooking ridiculous.

An army is trying to rid an area of enemy fighters, they are on tight schedule so they decide to just hang around outside a hospital and not continue with an advance. A major reason for not pushing on is to not leave pockets of resistance to your rear.

This is a proper military with decades of experience fighting, often employing fast moving advances, not a fooking shambles like our own.

But the anti Israeli experts here claim they are hanging around because they just don't like hospitals in Gaza.

I am not allowed discuss …

There are those on both sides of this conflict who want that so you'll have to be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

There is anger bubbling in some communities in Germany about the political classes' perceived reluctance to criticise Israel.

Surely, that can be addressed by explaining to those communities that Hamas started the current war and is using Palestinian civilians in Gaza as human shields, can't it?

• Advertisement

Has the translation into English been verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Hundreds of medical staff with no remaining relations in Gaza including Irish doctors and nurses have worked in Al Shifa hospital over the years. Are they all just pretending that the Hamas headquarters is not at the hospital too?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

And yet they showed a calendar with days of the week claiming it was a list of names of Hamas people who were guarding the prisoners at the hospital.

Very very bad propaganda or maybe just inept. Maybe they believed before entering the hospital that it was a Hamas command center which held hostages. When none was found they began clutching at straws to see what they wanted to see, maybe to help justify the mass deaths the IDF have inflicted on women and children.

We're at the Russian level of craziness, maybe the IDF spokesman doesn't even really believe the crap they say, but they are so far down the rabbit tunnels, they keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah it's gone from "there are no tunnels" to "well there are but Israel built them" and "it's all normal anyway for storms and earthquakes". Literally not one person claimed that Israel built the tunnels before maybe yesterday? The prior line was that they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

So the brave heroic fighters of the IDF managed to get past the doctors, patients and babies in the hospital and plant an Israeli flag on the roof. Granted a paraplegic man in a hospital bed had to be shot. He must have put up a fair bit of resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Everyone knows tunnels exists in Gaza. Weeks ago people here said there were 500km of tunnels. They found SFA in the Israeli built Al-Shifa tunnels (Hamas HQ). Fine. Whatever. How does all this tunnel talk justify bombing hospitals all over Gaza and preventing fuel/power/water/food and medical supplies getting into these hospitals? Israel have normalised the bombing of hospitals for you now?? Can they flatten ever hospital with the "but there is a tunnel" excuse?? It's ok to shut down two thirds of medical facilities during a war??

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's gone from show me evidence of a command center under the hospital yesterday to.... show me the evidence of a command center under the hospital today.

It's the IDF rowing back saying there's tunnels connecting to such and such..... No mention of a command center all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

If I was a woman I might expect to be, you know, gang raped as per their norm before they kill me and if I was a man I would expect swift throat slitting. Then they claim I was killed in Israeli bomb.

I'll leave you there, arguing absurd counterfactual strawmen.

No such thing has happened to the healthcare workers at the hospital.

Honestly.

Advertisement