Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That might be there declared intention but, they can't succeed that's the point. If they thought they were capable of inflicting a military defeat of Israel this would be a wider war already. They haven't because they know they will be soundly beaten. That's why Iran talks a big game but is reduced to using proxies which are not a threat to Israels existence. It's almost as if the Iranians don't really believe in the rhetoric of martyrdom they use, a bit like the lads in Qatar!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Prior to that report, we had no idea how Israel "knew" there were tunnels there.

Now we're up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

@unkel Just a reminder on this. It's an important direct question. I have seen you skirt this before.

You said "It is not up to Israel to supply water, food, medical supplies, power, etc. by the way." which is patent nonsense.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Do you seriously think they would have a sign that says Hamas HQ Basement.

If the Israelis have any cop on they will reconnect the hospital to services somehow and bring in supplies and medical staff.

And if they can't find tunnels under it/linked to it then the clearout of Netanyahu and his cronies, IDF chief of staff Gen Halevi, Shin Bet head Ronen Bar and Mossad head David Barnea should be immediate because it will be as big an intelligence cock up as Oct 7th.

I am not allowed discuss …

I am beginning to sound like a broken record, your suggestion is a good one but there needs to be a twin approach - The Hamas leaders in Qatar need to be sanctioned and Qatar has to be given an ultimatum by the Americans: either give up the Hamas leaders or risk economic sanctions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are you sure about 100,000 children being killed in the ongoing war in Yemen?

Link

Yemen's war broke out in 2014 and quickly saw Iran-backed Houthi rebels seize the capital Sanaa, prompting Saudi-led forces to intervene to prop up the government the following year.

Hundreds of thousands have died since, either as a result of fighting or indirectly through unsafe drinking water, disease outbreaks, hunger and other impacts.

The agency's latest numbers confirm 3,774 child deaths between March 2015 and September 2022.

So if the UN is correct, less children died in 364 weeks in Yemen than died in 4 weeks in Gaza.

Unfortunately, there are some conflicts/situations/scenarios that get more attention than others. It isn't always obvious why this is the case, part of it could be a snowball effect that as something is mentioned, it gets attention, and is mentioned more, and gets more attention and so on.

But I think why so many people are aggrieved about Israels actions comes down to a number of reasons.

• The proportionality of Israel's response has been so out of whack that it gets attention.
    • The rhetoric from Israel about 'everyone is guilty', 'we are dealing with animals', 'we will have a Nakba' is very genocidal
    • How western nations and the EU have supported them in their actions almost without question
    • That despite the Jewish peoples recent history, that they would inflict pain and condemnation on a community of people with much of the same rhetoric that was aimed at then and which led them to claim 'Never Again' and yet here, they are the persecutors (not withstanding the attack from Hamas or rockets fired)
    • There is no question but that the 2.5M people living in Gaza have been corralled and persecuted for a long time, a lot of the support for Palestine is coming from indigenous people worldwide who feel an affinity with them given their own colonial experience.

Me personally, I've been appalled at Israel officials attempts to manipulate the suffering of the Jewish people to permit their official bodies inflict death and suffering and expulsion on a community of people. Not just officials, but defenders of their actions including on here using claims of anti-Semitism, holocaust denial etc to casually dismiss any sort of criticism of their actions. The Israeli officials wearing the star of David in the UN while it did what it was doing in Gaza is one of the most cynical and darkest moments of a countries representatives I have seen and in my mind, is an insult to the memory of those who died while wearing that badge 80 years ago.

And again, for the record, for the Nth time, I do not support a single claim of Hamas in terms of wishing to erase Israel or any sort of justification for their attack on Oct 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

About 1,000 people outside the Dail at the moment.

This Gaza War was a godsend for the opposition. They don't have to pretend to favour a winter eviction ban. Not a peep about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Going by the ridiculously unconvincing Israeli propaganda to date, it wouldn’t surprise me if they showed a sign saying Hamas HQ as proof.

Bring in supplies and medical staff to the hospital? To serve who? Most of the population of Northern Gaza has gone south as dictated by the IDF.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

I think he's the guy from Blazing Saddles who said he liked rape. I didn't know his name was Norm. Every day's a school day.

• Advertisement

Well lets see hamas, ISIS, Taliban, RSF and Janjaweed.

Notice a trend here per chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So what does the IDF do now seeing that there was no resistance at the hospital? Where are Hamas hiding now? Maybe under a school or a creche or some other place they. Hamas seems to have made them look very foolish.

A lot of the civilians killed in the October 7th attack were just like her doing their best to build bridges between the two communities. I remember reading about one guy who dedicated his life to a peace group. His brother was heckled while delivering a speech at his brother's Funeral because he mentioned his brother would not want vengeance in his name. Why did those people even bother going to the funeral if they couldn't have the manners not to heckle like that.

Post edited by nacho libre on

Yea, very strange. I'm still more inclined, in a deeply sceptical way, to believe the Israeli's more than Hamas as Israel has a free press whereas Hamas get a bit murdery those who disagree with them. What's very clear is that both Gaza and Israel are led by people who are just appalling human beings.

Post edited by Ulixes on

So hang on we have the dying, babies, women, children in the hospital one minute and now according to you we don't?

We have arguments one minute about allowing fuel and supplies to hospitals and now you are saying what's the point?

This is getting as bad as there are/there aren't tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Don't forget that refugee camp that got raised to the ground because some Hamas commander was spotted driving his range rover through an underground tunnel.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They have done ambulances and refugee camps already.

Actually I am pretty sure many schools have been hit. For no reason thus far except maybe..cos Hamas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Edgy as always I see.

You can throw out the old tried and trusted as per your usual, but facts are facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Israeli Defense forces STILL trying to find Hamas in Gazan hospitals.

Making good progress though. Latest reports suggest evidence of:

-Weapons of mass destruction

-Malayasian flight MH390

-Madeleine McCann

-St Anthony

-Wally

-The tv remote

Any day now...

The deaths of children in Yemen are being caused by disease and malnutrition, both of which are a direct result of the war.

The blockage in the city of Taiz is particularly brutal, and has strong similarities with what's going on in Gaza, with people unable to access food or water. How many of us ever heard of Taiz?

Half of the children under the age of 5 in Yemen, 2.2 million of them, are suffering from acute malnutrition.

Edit:

from 2017 50,000 children in Yemen have died of starvation and disease so far this year, monitoring group says.

In 2018, Save the Children estimated that 85,000 children have died due to starvation in the three years prior.

The posturing in Israeli officials, the wearing of the Star of David and the general playing of the Holocaust card to justify any actions by Israel is despicable and disgusting.

They found a bag of rifles in a cupboard, a laptop, some blank cd's and a couple of tins of WD40

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Woke up this morning to see the hospital was been raided. So naturally during the day was waiting for the footage of the Hamas HQ. Maybe we'll get some before the day is out. Christ above.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I think you're going to have to point it out to me, I'm seeing acronyms with little evidence of anything you've said.

• Advertisement

That big orphanage down the road looks a bit suspicious.

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement