Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In any normal function of parliament, such a result would lead to the collapse of the government. They cannot achieve their stated promises, they are shown to be incompetent and while Sunak will carry the ultimate responsibility (and let's not forget he was in cabinet when this was signed off) it is across the entire Tory party that the responsibility lies.

It seems that the only solution they have ot to simply attempt to change the laws. They have learnt nothing from Brexit when they thought they could unilaterally do whatever they wished and everyone would simply accept it. The world doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm assuming Sunak is grandstanding for the 'base' but he's playing a very risky game - promising them he will change domestic law to stop the boats or perhaps even leave the ECHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Ah Sunak. Stop the boats, stop the trains, stop the courts. What's next? Stop the votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The policy was found to be unlawful but no one was deported to Rwanda. So not sure why it would collapse a Government. Quite often governments are found to be acting unlawfully.

A bit of a disaster for Rwanda. No doubt they were hoping for the cash injection into their economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

They got money already for building structures/making preparations. So Rwanda didn't totally lose out and don't have to take in migrants.

Yeah unfortunately this government had a history of throwing money away on poor projects but that never usually leads to a collapse of government.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How is this a disaster for Rwanda? They'll surely live without whatever pennies the Conservatives were planning to pay them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure in this whole shítshow, Rwanda are the losers here. Might be, ya know, the migrants being treated like cattle whose rights to humane treatment are now negotiable according to the Tories' lust to shutter their obligations to the ECHR.

The Brits want the boats stopped.

Any country in a similar position would be taking steps to stop these boats arriving with hundreds of people every week. This is why Labour aren't giving a clear position on what to do about it. The Brits are sick of these boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,136 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well there’s lot of thing a monarch technically can do but they don’t.

We used think that about Parliament.

Now you have literal legislators screaming "ignore the laws".

It would certainly make Charles more than a minor footnote in history he is destined to be.

Not likely though, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Labour will lose at least 3 members of the shadow cabinet after the Gaza debate when they vote for a ceasefire. Read somewhere the Labour whips were estimating it could be 7.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you back this up with anything? All I see is some Tory hissy fit about something most people aren't bothered about.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Financially they'll lose money and it's a PR disaster for their country. The judgement basically says Rwanda is not safe.

Rwanda are the losers here

They have pocketed 140m quid for doing nothing.

Anyway the hilarity of the whole thing is it was this government in 2021 that declared Rwanda was neither safe or just.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

if they want to put people on flights to Rwanda, nobody is going to stop them.

The people living in the affected areas around Kent are fed up.

Any country in a similar position would be taking steps to stop these boats arriving 

Giving 140 million to Rwanda in exchange for nothing?

I think any sensible country maybe would have tested the legality of their plan before handing out free millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Repeated polls and surveys show it's not that big of a concern of voters in comparison to other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes it's of little concern to most people and of lees concern to those in Kent than the north of England. A mostly manufactured problem.

I presume Charles 111 doesn't want to become the latest Charles to lose his head, by intervening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It must be embarrassing

Standing on a pulpit with a sign saying stop the boats

• Advertisement

We talk about media bubbles but this seems like something that only people writing for the tabloids and cynical Tories come out with. Your average working class Briton couldn't care less in my experience. I work in a very diverse institution and all goes well. The idea that English people are nothing more than rancid little Tommy Robinsons is just disgusting. Finally, if the people of Kent are so upset (Spoiler: They're not), one would wonder why they voted to leave the institution which would have made returning the migrants so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Suella wouldnt be happy til they have snipers on the cliffs of dover picking people off.

Is there any actual mechanism to get the tories out if they dump another leader? You'd imagine if FF or FG tried to pull the same stuff here, theyd be gone ages ago, majority be damned. Getting Charlie to step in seems as remote a possibility of riots or demos in the street

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

10 Shadow Cabinet ministers resigned in the end for calling for a ceasefire in Palestine. Only 125 MPs voted in favour which is pretty disgusting but unsurprising.

Jess Phillips probably the highest profile resignation.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Some idiots in that labour party for resigning

Really is self sabotage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Keir Starmer should have allowed a free vote. Why bring this on the LP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Starmer is the idiot here and the one who is sabotaging Labour. Why did whip against it when it was going to be easily defeated? He says nothing and lets the Tories off the hook on major issues but makes this a red line issue! I'm sure a lot of younger voters will look at this and at least consider voting LibDem over Labour.

This vote and this war will be long over and forgotten about by the time of an election.

It's already been taken off the top headlines this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

56 Labour MPs voted for a ceasefire. Well done to them (imagine putting thoughts of something as totally trivial as the next general election ahead of a huge moral issue like this).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In a mythical world of a police state or military junta perhaps.

In the real world of due legal process - some people/organisation will go to court 24 hours before the flight and make their case to a judge pointing out the potential illegality of the flight. If said case is strong enough in the judges opinion, or at a minimum requires further investigation then the judge will publish a court order forbidding the flight from taking off. And that will stop the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Can't wait to see if it stops the boats

They'll come in some other way anyhow if the channel crossing unpalatable

Advertisement