Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it's just old and obsolete. Just like a VW from the 90s is not a classic, but just an old crappy banger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

It's not retro until you can buy a mini arcade version pre loaded with 100 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I also notice that every old game is called a "classic" even if it was trash. 😁

• Advertisement

I stuck with the Nintendo classics. Saved a load of time and money. I learned that when I left Sega and Sonic behind for Super Nintendo and Super Mario World. 😁 And then Mario 64 and OOT on N64, instead of whatever polygons those Sony marketers where pushing as cool on PlayStation. 😁 The one thing that turned me off Sega and Sony was that they tried so hard to appear cool and edgy. Sony still does this, and MS is even worse.

I love me some Nintendo but you missed out on sega and Sony. The megadrive was excellent with some great classics despite the dodgy cringe advertising. The Saturn was a fantastic machine as was the Dreamcast with a stupidly good library despite manufacturing stopping after just 18 months. Sony though, the PS1 wipes the floor with the N64 and the ps1 and PS2 could both be argued as two of the best consoles of all time.

Agree Saturn and Dreamcast were great machines, also PS1 and 2, but I fell off consoles after N64 and never really came back until Wii and that was just a few of the first party games on there.

PAL conversions and not owning a place stoped me buying much stuff.

PAL conversions didn't put me off games but I kind of wish they did. I didn't realise how bad they were and if I had of known I'd have imported everything.

• Advertisement

I blame EDGE magazine for pointing out PAL Vs NTSC, otherwise I'd be blissfully unaware.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see bouncing about the internet Alan Wake's musical number; exceedingly ear-worm'y and rather embarrassingly it took a while before I realised the band were fake & made-up for Remedy's various games ...

(and hat-tip for one of those quintessential "that guy" actors, David Harewood; an English actor who almost never seems to be using his native accent)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As catchy as the song is, the one thing the video doesn't quite get across is how much of a spectacle it accompanies in-game. Definitely one of the most striking bits of visual design I've ever seen in a game. Best to discover in the context of the game itself though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Haven't played AW2 yet, but was very impressed with Remedy working a song into Control, again, a highlight of that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I can't wait to play Alan Wake 2 at some point so not gonna watch that but just watched a video this morning where Sam Lake talks about his favourite meta parts from each of Remedy's games. Real band Poets of the Fall has a big song in Max Payne 2 and Sam got them back to become fictional band Old Gods of Asgard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh so they are real, just fake in the context of the later Remedy games. That makes more sense 'cos as fake bands go they're very catchy & had wondered who was actually behind it all if it was all just made up.

As to the video? It's not really spoiler'y TBH unless you wanna save the experience itself; and you could probably just listen to the music as it's kinda regaling Alan's history & predicament.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd personally strongly recommend not watching it if you intend to play the game. Obviously, there's more to it in the game itself, but I think the fantastic, surprising experience of that level would have been dulled at least somewhat had I watched the video beforehand.

Seems Boiling Point Road to Hell has popped up on Steam. It's a long forgotten PC game that was the only review on Eurogamer to get two scores, 2/10 and 8/10. It's an absolute buggy mess with its first patch notes reading like a hard drive comedy article (a highlight being firing an uzinat the police station no longer makes the station disappear) but was a true open world game with a reactive world and environment that the team didn't have the budget to get under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bloody hell.......Still have a physical copy at home.

Can't say I ever played much of it, but I do recall it being all over the shop

I loved Boiling Point back in the day, it's what Far Cry should have leaned into more, an oppressive tense environment. Hard as balls but i loved the atmosphere, i felt really involved in everything going on where as with latest far cry's, it's like hold shoot button, call in crocodile buddy mindless nonsense.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

• Advertisement

Far Cry 2 was a sliding doors moment in terms of the evolution of major publisher open-world video games, and alas Ubisoft decided to slam face-first into the train door as it pulled away from the station and fell on their arse.

I liked far cry 3 for what it was but I'd have preferred if every Ubisoft game afterwards wasn't farcry 3 but now with a snow. I started farcry 4 shortly after 3 and fell off it so fast. It got my full of that style of game with 3 and don't need to play it anymore which is why I've barely touched a Ubisoft game since.

Far Cry 3 fits into that category of the game on its own terms is perfectly fine for its time and place, but the knock-on effect it had on what followed - a decade plus of frictionless Ubisoft-style collectathons - sours me on it. It'd have been fine if didn't become a template for dozens of other games.

It's the same feeling I have about the Genie in Disney's Aladdin - perfectly fun on its own terms, but kinda ruined mainstream American animation for a generation as everyone tried to copy it.

Boiling Point: oh wow wow wow. I'm just gonna say it: I miss those days when AAA Gaming could be jank central. It's not like having really polished, competently produced games isn't great n' all, but there was something special about working through the jank of some random game made by 5 people in Ukraine, or Germany or whatnot. Where part of the charm was the fact the game could bug out on you in crazy ways. The Bethesda open world games kinda still have that quaint sensibility. While even indie games are super refined these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

There are very few games, if any, that I despise more than Far Cry 5 (and I loved Far Cry 3 at the time). Absolute mindless nonsense.

I went back to far cry 3 last year and it was surprisingly just as fun as when i first played it. Minimal survival, taking out enemy camps with just a knife, no gimmicks, climbing towers to unlock the map was still fun and not a chore. I could never finish 4, 5 was fun but it was like they copied the game 3 times, 1 for each area which was just unnecessary bloat. 6 was the most soulless FC I have played, did absolute zero to drag me into the gameplay or the story, felt like i was playing on autopilot. Only got about 30% through that.

FC 1 was an absolute banger, still great memories of that and i never played FC 2 which i regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Far Cry 3 is great fun. Definitely one of my favourites of all the Far Cry games I played.

I played FC2 on my XB360 back in 2017 and probably my favourite FC game. I tried playing it again last year, but it wasn't a very slick and smooth experience.

A remake of it would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

It's a matter of taste of course, but it will also take you a while to get the song out of your head (and not in a good way). Especially if you die a few times on that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus, ye have very different memories of jank in gaming. I hated it then, I still hate it now. Had no choice back then, nowadays jank is due to overpromising and underdelivering. I never want jank. It adds nothing. So I can't understand those who do enjoy it. Probably why I was never a massive Bethesda fan. FO and ES would have been better without.

• Advertisement

I can assure it's a different kind of jank. You never played these types of games because they never get released on console. There's a big difference between a massive studio creating jank like Bethesda which just comes across as lazy or inept. This kind of jank is from a small team creating an incredibly complex game with wild ideas and almost getting there. There's a lot of bugs and issues but you plough through it because the experience is so compelling and like no other game on the market because big publishers would never fund a game this mental.

The closest Incan think of would be Baldur's Gate 3 which has crazy ambition and systems but it fortunately had the benefit of the early access program which gave it more time to be honed and less buggy.

Advertisement