Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

No and you are smarter than this so dont resort to LOL responses.

The initial point is citys accounts for last year, thats what we are discussing and debating so everything before that is irrelevant. Now if your argument is “yes city had the highest revenue for last year because of the early growth due to financial irregularities etc etc” then thats fine but make that clear. The argument as I can see it so far is that City couldnt have had the highest revenue last year because they must have been cooking the books last year and it’s impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

If you can explain to me in a reasonable way how Man City have been generating more money than any other football club over the last few years then sure go for it.

I'd love to understand how

That’s absolutely not true. I have argued that point before on these boards and as a season ticket holder part of city supporters club I am in a great position to see it first hand. I am not wasting my time arguing this point, you need to do your research on this.

...yes and they would have much much larger followings abroad.

What point are you countering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you are familiar with Financial Accounts you would know that a section of those accounts are made up of prior years performance.

Therefore the years currently under investigation do make up a portion of the current year accounts.

You answered some of the questions in your initial post.

Would you genuinely love to know the answer? Or is that a throwaway comment? Cos I dont want to waste my time trying to explain part of it if u are just being facetious. More than happy to take it to PM to avoid derailing the thread for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

What's your take on the 115 charges, are they completely innocent?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That not selling all their allocated tickets to a semi in Wembley equates means they cannot generate revenue elsewhere.

I dont know enough detail about the 115 charges. I mean its quite complex to fully understand despite what people around here would have you believe. That said, I am not naive, its absolutely possible there was creative accounting done to circumvent FFP rules. I will wait to see what comes out in the court case before fully committing to my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As I said, we can't believe that their commerical income grew by £32m (even if that actually is a believable number to grow by), because of the history of cooking the books.

Also, the breakdown of the details of the commercial revenue is not discloses, so we don't know if it's legitimate companies sponsoring the club legitimately, if it's the friends & family of the owner just handing over cash, or if it's fake shell companies set up with the sole purpose of funnelling in cash to the club.

It's probably a mixture of all 3, but we don't and won't know the ratio of it. It could be 5% legitimate, 5% friends and family and 90% shell companies for all we know.

And that's what is propping up the club being able to spend vast amounts on wages, which went up dramatically this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Ah go on. It would be good to get the opinion of a city fan. It's the internet, it's anonymous and it might create a good debate about the issue.

For me, there's no smoke without fire. Phillippe Auclair the French journalist has been quite outspoken about the dubious sponsorships of City and other clubs, namely 8XBet. There's a huge amount of holes in their 'history', social media pages that have little to no followers for a company apparently pumping billions into the club, founded in UAE surprise surprise, the whole thing just looks like nonsense.

It's all well and good to say you'll wait and see what comes out in the court case but even if it goes to court, as we know money talks and we may never actually see the truth. Mason Greenwood's case never got to court but doesn't mean he's innocent, I never want him to see him in a United shirt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ah, turns out you're a City fan, makes sense. Yes it is completely implausible than Manchester City have the highest legitimate revenue in the league. But this is utterly pointless as you aren't remotely objective. Having your owners set up shell companies to sponsor your club is not legitimate revenue.

What I will say that a little bit agrees with what you say above is that City have been very naive with some of the companies they have dealt with your example of 8xbet is a good one on this point. There are a couple of examples of this happening and in the grand scheme of things the amount of money generated from these deals is peanuts. There are also tonnes of legit Asian gaming businesses they could have dealt with that would have provided a similar amount of revenue and avoided the bad exposure that comes from this. We dont know the exact amount the deal is worth but city would have to show its fair market value, it wouldnt be possible to use this deal to pump billions into the club.

I know some here will argue that I am naive to believe it but when you own a billion pound business your due diligence should be top notch and there is very little reason to be dealing with these companies for the amount of revenue generated. If the sole purpose of these deals like 8xbet is to bring fake sources of revenue to city then it would be stupidity of the highest order. And to date they havent shown that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

12 point deduction for Everton going ahead. Anything less than relegation from the football league for Man City IF they are found guilty is a sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fans in seats don't decide how popular a club is these days. The money comes from TV deals, sponsorship, shirt sales etc.

Now I'm not saying that City are bigger than Barcelona, Real Madrid or United but success and big name players brings more fans on board and create bigger sales worldwide.

Haaland is probably in the top five biggest stars in world football right now, De Bruyne has been up there for years. You've got Ederson, Dias, Rodri and Alvarez, because of his world cup exploits. They are all big names. At this moment only Real Madrid can match them for big name players.

Even at that the revenue sounds too high to me but when you consider Barcelona earned €1.3 billion and Real Madrid brought in a record €843 million it's not completely impossible that they earned that.

United's income dropped to €710 million last year but they haven't had any big success for years now. United earned over €800 million in 2019 but it dropped every year after that until 2022.

2022 was a big year in earnings for all the big clubs.

Forbes have City valued only $350 million less than United right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

It should be noted that 2018-2022 are currently under investigation, just to clarify that it’s not a case of everyone thinking they’re acting above board since then.

But how relevant that is really does depend on the outcome of the original charges. I genuinely think this outcome is critical for what the PL is in future - considering the charges brought and the stuff we can openly see them doing: inflating revenue by self funding through sponsorship, creating fictional sponsors, rabidly blocking any and all requests for information from the PL through their lawyers.

Unless there are serious consequences to that, the PL as a sporting competition becomes a total joke. Nobody will buy that the 115 charges were all misunderstandings or clarified to be minor offences that result in a slap on the wrist.

That will be the point that the PL will have been bought lock, stock and barrel.

It just seems that there is 8Xbet, you have Etihad Airways (an indirect link these days to Abu Dhabi), Etisalat Group, Visit Abu Dhabi, Emirates Palace, (owned by the Abu Dhabi government), some other dubious crypto currency companies that all have no history, little assets and links to UAE. Lots of links to some legit companies that can filter money to the club with inflated sponsorship deals and some non legit companies to get more money into the club. It's like playing football manager, - taking over another club, buying a shít player for the bulk of the transfer fee of the team you're focused on, transfer goes through, resign as manager of the other club and continue on with a nice chunk of change. Cheating.

I get you're a fan and will obvious be bias, it just screams to me City can do what they want because they've an unlimited pot of money to answer or delay any questions that come their way about FFP where nothing will happen to the club.

It sets a dangerous precedent and ultimately is bad for the sport. Success should be built on the pitch, it's why I have been so against Qatar taking over the club I follow and it's why City's success will always be tainted unless they can 100% prove they are innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Any comment about the mysterious betting company I posted a link to earlier?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

The big problem with any investigations against City is legal costs. They can out spend anybody and drag things out until you run out of money.

That mysterious betting company's deal would be included in the accounts just released?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ah so you have no answer then? At least I am prepared to discuss it and debate it.

You must be one of the worst accountants going if you cant even remotely see how any of this might be possible? Are you really serious or is this just a throwaway comment to have a kick at city on a message forum? Im genuinely intrigued by this. “Completely implausible”? The treble winning team and the most successful team of the last decade in the UK cant have legitimately the highest revenue for last year(just to be clear its last year I am talking about it and revenue not profit)? Can you think of any reasons at all how this might be plausible or are there none at all? You are fishing here and I have taken the bait big time, thats the only explanation for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Do my research? Sure if I do my research am I going to find an independent body that will explain why the majority of home matches are sold out yet thousands of seats are empty during the match? No I will get reports from the club and supporters groups explaining why they "sell out" each game.

The naked eye tells me more than any research could do

It is an example that there isn't a big enough fanbase there to realistically sell the club to in order to generate the figures they are reporting.

Every other club has found this to be true.

It's not the first time City have failed to sell their allocation of tickets to a big game.

The point is that if City were a club the size they are trying to say they are on the balance sheet then there would be enough fans to take up those tickets.

Once again and I really have to stress this point - they were in the hunt for a treble. They will literally never have a better set of circumstances to sell out Wembley games and they couldn't.

Their financial figures don't add up.

Who exactly are they generating income from? Who are their sponsors paying over the odds to advertise to?

Why as a sponsor would you pay more money to put your logo on the shirt of a team who sell less shirts?

• Advertisement

I will just debate the first point you made, those companies mentioned are legit companies and different to your original point on shell companies which I acknowledged was poor. Those deals with the likes of Etihad have been put to the test alot in court cases and none have come back above fair market value. Id nearly argue they sold themselves short on Etihad by signing up to such a long term deal as in hindsight it looks a little light for where city are now. Obviously these companies have a relationship with the owner and I recognize that, but thats business.

Its abs not the same as your example(in my opinion) of football manager buying a **** player for miles above the market value to get funds into the club. There is a whole other debate around FFP and the merits of it but they have done what they have done to maximise owner investment while trying to remain compliant with rules. Whether they have been compliant enough we will see from the fall out of the charges.

I appreciate the debate though and I get why you would see it the way you do. I think if things were different and shoes on the opposite feet and we swapped united with city 50 years ago we would likely be in the opposing camps we are in now.

My initial issue is the throwaway comments from people here(and the media) that wont look at the accounts in detail, read a headline and say oh thats because of creative accounting for last year. City are past needing creative accounting and have been for a number of years. They legitimately generate huge revenue, the success on the pitch generates that alone nearly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Financial Fair Play was brought in to stop clubs overspending a going bust, not to stop owners pumping cash into clubs. However it has morphed into the latter.

Do you not think sponsors target clubs with bigger fanbases?

If you are sponsoring a club the first thing you'd be looking for is the exposure your company will get from being linked to the club.

That needs fans. It needs shirt sales. It needs star power. They want kids wearing their logos and their brand being exposed to as many people as possible.

Taking that into account you would never pay more to sponsor City over Man Utd, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.. And somehow City want us to believe that this is happening.

Haaland is City's only real superstar and to be honest he was well on his way to that before joining them.

There's many many more kids out there with Rashford or Salah kits than there is De Bruyne kits.

The numbers just don't add up.

As for TV I'd actually love to see a break down of weekly viewing figures from games involving each club. I'd like to see how many tune in to watch Man City play Bournemouth and how it compares to when Utd or Pool play them.

Anyone know here I can see these numbers?

ok, lets go with this, how much do u think that deal was worth? Bearing in mind its asian betting partner so different to official betting partner(which is Leo Vegas owner by Bet MGM one of the biggest gaming companies in the world)? Would a million be fair enough for this deal? Note that for the purposes you are suggesting it would still need to be at fair market value.

Lets say that deal is completely false for the sake of this, and that million is just a way for Sheikh Mansour to pour more of his own cash into the business. Lets take that away from the 713m revenue announced that brings it to 712m…still to date the highest in the league.

Lets say there are ten of these shady deals so in fact the revenue is only 702.8m of legitimate revenue. Still the highest.

Lets go even more extreme, lets say we took all 341m in commercial revenue away, every bit of it(inc shirt, stadium etc) that leaves revenue at 372m. That would put it at as the 5th highest in the league based on other clubs 2022 revenue.

Not very realistic is it? One betting deal amongst a few other questionable deals which I acknowledged already are tiny(which is why i questioned the DD as they arent overly important) arent the reason for citys revenue last year.

Yes please.

Can you tell me how City generate more income than Man Utd, Liverpool, Real Madrid or Barcelona.

I know they won the treble last year but they have been reporting revenue higher than those clubs for a while now.

How does a sponsorship deal with Man City get valued at the same level as a deal with those other clubs despite the fact that your sponsorship will see less eyes on a City kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Reminds me of Trump fans when you ask them about Trump being a rapist, they just say that they don't know all the details of that particular case. Ask them if Trump is a traitor and they sidestep by saying that he hasn't been found guilty yet.

Creative accounting? Sure.

Any reasonable man already knows why City have the largest "income" in the world of football. Its the same reason that they will never be respected. Because they are cheats.

That is my opinion, I do not expect nor need you to agree with it.

How do you know that this 8xBet deal, which you've as good as admitted is shady without saying it, is worth peanuts?

Man City haven't released the details of each commercial revenue deal individually. They've just announced that it increased by £32m. How do we not now that some other shell corporation are not sponsoring them for £32m in a new deal?

When the allegations are against you, these are the questions that need answering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Regardless if City's accounts from last year are 100% bona fide (i dont believe for a second they are), the fact of the matter is that without the previous 10+ years of under the table payments, that revenue would not be possible, it's essentially the same as a drug dealer buying a legitimate business, spending his money to improve said business, then running it above board while claiming he's a legitimate business man.

I don't expect poker king to admit anything dodgy has gone on but I do not accept or believe for 1 second that in his heart he thinks the club he supports has been run in any way legitimately.

Every trophy, every success, every lap of honour, every player accolade is based on a lie, the illusion of legitimacy.

You have made a lot of points that I dont have the time to answer all but il pick up on a few.

In 21/22 if you owned a big company would you rather put your logo on Man City who played every conceivable major game or Man United who played the Europa league and came third in the prem without being involved in the title race? Answer that objectively as a business owner. You have answered this somewhat above but actually landed on United over city i think.

From a kid’s perspective I would argue Haaland, Grealish and KDB are all huge superstars. These are who kids are looking up to and there playing for city, hell haalands on the cover of this years Fifa(or whatever its called).

I dont live in Ireland and dont live in the UK but at kids football that I coach there are abs more city shirts than united shirts. Liverpool being the one that has the most from my sample set of about 100 kids! There are alot of kids and young adults who have only known city as successful with world class players so of course the fan base is going to grow.

You are correct though that more people would watch liverpool/united versus Bournemouth than city v Bournemouth. I think thats undeniable, what does it prove though? Your tv money isnt based on how many people watch your games. Its based on league position and number of tv appearances and guess what? Man city number 1 for those. Worth noting as a side point the most watched premier league match of all time featured Man City.

If you look at what makes up the numbers they do add up. Have a deep dig into it or wait till later in the week when the Swiss ramber does it, either way it will be an interesting read.

There is no point in debating it with you then. Naked eye it is. If you could get me a couple of tickets to these games that would be great because my supporters club have been struggling all season, just like last season too.

Sure if you know you know, no point me trying to debate it with you.

The auditors are lying to you, the broadcasters are lying to you about how much their paying out, the leagues are lying to you about the prize money, the buying clubs are lying to you about how much their buying city players for. Everyone is lying just so they can all collude to the fact that city had the highest revenue for last year. Just so they can have another award to go with all the other fake awards.

Man why did i not notice this before!

Well I see from your posts @POKERKING that you can see they needed creative accounting at some stage.

The Etihad deal they needed at the time. Putting myself in their shoes they basically went the build it and they will come route. Get this big deal done, get success on the pitch and more big sponsors will come.

On the betting company, Phillipe Auclair did a podcast about it a year or 2 ago. City wouldn't be the first club to get a deal with a dodgy betting company. Shows how feck all due diligence is done with these deals.

The question has to be where did this company get its money from? Creative accounting or just good old fashioned money laundering of Far Eastern betting money?

Bigger fan bases worldwide is what sponsors target. It doesn't matter how many bums you have on seats so long as there's a loud roar every time you score a goal.

Shirt sales are global.

I only said De Bruyne has been up there for a few years now, not that he was the top seller.

I was just explaining that there's a number of big name players at City now.

Haaland is second to Messi in soccer shirt sales worldwide then Mbappe, Salah and Vinicious junior. De Bruyne is sixth and Ronaldo completes the association footballers in the top ten most sold jerseys in all sports.

Fans are attracted to winning clubs and City are basically dominating for a number of years now and they'll have bigger figures next year after winning the Champions league.

The deal would have to be at fair market value otherwise they definitely would get into a lot of ****. All deals. The commercial revenue for the year is 341m, when u minus all the big sponsorship deals out of that there isnt much left. Thats how i worked it out but its guess work. Either way my point stands, do you accept this method and the point i was making here?

Complete different point to the one I was debating so we will have to save that one for another day as I have taken up enough of this threads time today!

• Advertisement

So please tell me why is there empty seats at every Man City game and there are thousands empty at some of the champions league games and when City play the smaller teams in the league? How can that be possible if the club are saying its sold out and as you have said supporters clubs are finding it hard to get tickets for matches?

Maybe the owners are buying up a bunch of tickets? A legal way to put money into the club. They might have been doing this since the start and haven't stopped. If that's the case then it's explainable. If that's the case then maybe the ground would be full if they stopped doing it.

if that were to happen, I would think that it would be a bulk buy of tickets 1 minute before KO in order to give fans as much time as possible to buy them themselves.

The CL games have been available on student sites the day of the game for cut prices, there has been a few knockout games over the years where screenshots of the deals were on social media etc.

Constant trips to Wembley within the same season or time frame, you can say fair enough it is expensive to travel up & down etc but there is consistently large gaps in the Man City ends of those games. It's not a rare thin.

Eh, ever hear of season tickets?

And why would City fans be interested in going to miniscule cup games? They only care about the Premier league and Champions league I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's mad. I've yet to see someone wearing a Haaland shirt in the wild. Or a De Bruyne one for that matter. You'd think that whoever is buying one, wouldn't necessarily be buying a 2nd with the others name on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Again, comes back to fan numbers. If you have a big enough fan base (which is normally where the justification for higher sponsorship deals comes from) then there is always a market for cup tickets sold to those who cannot get premier league or champions league match tickets because of the massive demand. It's only when you're dealing with a very finite number of active fans that those who are interested can get their fill with Premier League and Champions league fixtures, and not need to slum it with the cups.

An excess of unsold tickets is simply a sign of supply having exceeded demand, which can only occur if the fan interest is not large enough to cover all your games - which again, comes back to the issue of the number of active money-spending fans seemingly not being high enough to generate the largest sponsorships etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

While trying to skirt past the pi55ing match over the last 3 pages, I was just going to remark that I too have never seen a kid wearing a De Bruyne jersey. Even the Haaland ones are scarce.

What this about Everton and 12 points deduction going ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

A fake Twitter account was reporting it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Initial reports indicated that they reported 700+M in profits🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement