Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I don't buy it. We don't want to lose at home, obviously, but we're more likely to be competing with Connacht for a final eight position at the end of the season than last year's champions. So an eight or seven point swing between us and Connacht is much more significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If we are struggling to finish in the top 8 then it will have been a disastrous season! I see this as a rebuilding year to some extent, but I think we are still one of the top 6 teams in the league behind Leinster, Munster and a couple of South African sides.

Well, we might be, and it might be a disastrous season. A top six team doesn't rest players when it might be the difference between four or one point(s)

More likely Rowntree just thinks Munster is at the centre of everyone's universe.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fairly sure McCloskey will have to start, with either Moore or Postlewaithe at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Kind of baffling that for years Ulster have been crying out for an out half to step up and put pressure on Burns, and when one finally does that, they won't pick him.

McFarland's loyalty to certain players will be his downfall. You could argue it has been his downfall.

• Advertisement

I don't know that I'd say Flannery has put pressure on Burns yet.

He's been good, and I'd hope he passes Burns if he keeps improving, but in a game we need to win, I'd still pick Burns every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's awful from Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

How can we have a Munster referee & ex-Munster player officiating the Ulster V Munster match tonight?

Frank Murphy isn't biased in any way. He's just bad at his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I don't think that's a card at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Crowley was never going to stop that

Yea but they never factor the likelihood of making the tackle into it.

Crowley was close enough.

David McCann was outstanding tonight. But what a debut from Scott Wilson. Seriously impressive!

Edit - actually David McCann was better than outstanding. At times before Hendy and Herring came on he was a one a man show in the pack. Genuinely top top show from him tonight. I, and others, said at the start of the season that this was a big season for him. He is delivering big time.

Is this thread evidence that we're just a bunch of whingers. We beat Munster and there hasn't been a single post all week!

Anyway reflecting on last week it was a bad start, or perhaps Munster started really well. It took us a while to get into the game, but to be fair the lads remained calm and fought their way back in. There is no doubt that being able to bring Herring, Henderson and Ewers off the bench made a big difference, where as Munster were bringing 19/20 year odds on.

4 games in and we've 3 from 4 which improbably equates to a par start. Still it's encouraging that some of our young forwards are stepping up. Let's see what the next 3 games bring, minimum 2 wins from Lions and Edinburgh at home and Glasgow away is required.

Please don't do this, not again. I can't stomach the inevitable downfall.

We've learnt our lesson from last year, there'll be no optimism in this thread, not on my watch. Unless, of course, we get Leinster in another knockout and I get another night out in Dublin. But that'll be the alcohol talking, under no circumstances will any positive/optimistic post regarding Ulster be be in any way grounded in reality.

I just take this season for what it is. If I get entertained and we produce some new players I'll see it as success. I don't think we'll be near Leinster or a fully loaded Stormers, but as long as we just don't plod along playing 3rd rate players just to justify their wage then I'll take it as progress.

• Advertisement

In terms of producing new players, I'd love for Sheridan and McCann to really cement themselves this year. Sheridan might be blocked a little by Ewers but I see no reason he shouldn't be gunning for Treadwell/AOC's spot. I honestly don't know where McCann's best position will be but with Reffell's injury and the fact that Timoney is about are only backrower that can play 8, there should be plenty of opportunities. His competition is Rea x2 and greg Jones.

I don't really think there will be any more than that. I hope Crothers gets at least a little game time to put his brief debut behind him and we all came away surprised/excited by Wilson but he's very young for a prop so I'm not really expecting anything major from him. Postlethwaite is one I'd be exited about but McCloskey is key for us in big games and Hume is having a resurgence so maybe a year too early for him.

Ulster have let me down enough times for me to know you don't get optimistic in November.

McCann is surely part of our strongest back row selection. Him, Timoney and Ewers in pretty much any order. Timoney at 8 on the plastic might make sense.

There may be questions about his height, but I'd gave Sheridan in the row, there's obviously a fair bit of competition.

Agree on Postelthwaite who hasn't looked out of place this season.

Hopefully Crothers gets another go and Wilson has earned more a shot as well, but Moore and O'Toole will be ahead of him when they return.

Flannery is the one who could shake things up. He has brilliant hands and given our new attacking shape he might slot in there nicely. Billy's kicking game is still important to us. But I think there will at least be proper competition there this season.

I'll take a 4th place finish in the URC, haven't a clue about Europe, I couldn't even tell you the structure, something about 6 team groups, but you only play some teams. Not sure if there is a round of 16 or not, I know we play Toulouse, we'll see what happens. I'm almost at the point where the URC interests me more. Not sure if that says more about the URC or the state of the European Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭durthacht

Any chance McNabney or Humphries will get game time this season?

Humphreys is in his final academy year and was in the same intake as Sheridan and Postlewaithe. I think Humphreys and Saunderson are the only players remaining in the academy from their intake year, all the other players have moved to development deals and are with the senior squad.

Outside of Burns and Flannery Ulster's 10s are Curtis and Lowry, and neither of them are very good at 10.

If Humphreys doesn't get game time this season you would imagine he's not going to make it.

Wonder if we might see Shea O'Brien at 15 this week. Is there a better game to ease him in than Lions at home? Do we play Dragons home or away this season?

Well now, well now. No Shea, but plenty interesting about this team.

Ulster v Emirates Lions, Round 5 BKT United Rugby Championship, Kingspan Stadium, 7 35pm, Live on BBC NI, Viaplay, TG4 and URC.tv

(15-9) Stewart Moore, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Jake Flannery, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Scott Wilson, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (C), Dave Ewers, Reuben Crothers, David McCann.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Marty Moore, Harry Sheridan, Lorcan McLoughlin, John Cooney, Billy Burns, Mike Lowry.

Crothers, Wilson and Flannery starting.

Marty Moore (!), Sheridan and Lorcan McLoughlin on the bench.

Much to like.

Yea a lot to like there.

I’m both surprised that Crothers is fit to play but glad he’s been cleared and gets another chance.

Things to watch for:

Can McCann continue his run of form?

How will wilson get on against a SA scrum?

How will flannery get on with a good team around him?

What sort of shape will Marty Moore be in?

Agree with the above, I really like this team.

How good is it for Scott Wilson and Reuben Crothers to be blooded in a pack with Henderson, Ewers and Herring.

Flannery is in what is essentially a first choice backline...or close to it anyway.

Big chance for Lorcan McLaughlin as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Wilso will develop into a really good player. He started ahead of McGuire for the 20's.

Can't wait to see Lorcan. Another lad who has untold potential.

Advertisement