Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭Shoog

I don't read anything on Gript in the same way as I don't read anything in The telegraph or Mein Kampf. Its a principles thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

He doesn't really make any points of note. It broad strokes just to disagree with government and get pushed out by Gript who are questionable at best.

Like it or lump it we need to get better at looking after the environment. Ignoring it seems to be his advice, hunger in the 3rd World we can fix? no we can't becaues if we could the billions upon billions sent to them over the last years would have fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Yes, alright. Small k . I was just highlighting the letter by making it a capital as i did the G in Giga. A bit sloppy of course..😏

"The kilowatt-hour is a composite unit of energy equal to one kilowatt (kW) sustained for (multiplied by) one hour".(end of quote).

K as in Kelvin is a measurement of temperature. It is used in physics io using degree Celsius or Fahrenheit. 0 degree Kelvin is the absolute zero point.

Using the word 'kilo' is an odd one if used in conjunction with energy io say a kilogram which is 1000 gram or kilobyte etc. KiloJoule is also a strange one. But i know the equations involved as im used to make them tinkering w amplifiers. W= A* V.

Amperes, voltages, resistance, Ohmage, the familiar stuff..

Again the h in kWh refers to hour. It is important because unlike say a ton of coal, a watt is simply a unit of energy just like a joule. It makes the difference as with wind and solar we do not have a volume as such that stores the energy unless a battery is used which is secundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

"Guardian is about solid fuel and not wood pellet" What do you think wood pellets are made from ?

The name alone should tell you. They are made from wood which is classified as a solid fuel.The same as all solid materials that are used to produce energy and provide heating released through combustion.

So yes the Guardian articles is about wood, a solid fuel. The solid fuel that wood pellets are manufactured from and link after link in that article highlights that wood burning is not carbon neutral The Finland link alone concludes that wood heating was the least climate friendly option for Finnish homes.

Burning wood pellets emits CO2. Being burned in a wood stove or a power plant does not change that fact. No more than burning coal in a stove as opposed to burning it in a power plant would.

THe E.U. has just awarded Ireland a Protected Geographic Indicator for grass-fed Irish beef.

While the Irish Green Party was threatening to bring down the government if the didn`t get their way on culling a million cattle to save the planet, Brazil, Argentina and Australia were announcing plans to increase their herds to take advantage of the growing demand for beef.

There really are times you need to laugh at some of the insanity rather than attempting to make sense of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I don't think they are fully operational yet as they asked LEUs to turn off for a few hours.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

"Guardian is about solid fuel and not wood pellet" What do you think wood pellets are made from ?

Tell me you don't know what you are talking about without telling me you don't know what you are talking about.

You claimed to have a study to show a room heater was worse for the environment. You don't. You took a number of other articles and added them together thinking 2+2 must equal 5 and it doesn't,

Probably the reason you didn't share the study in the first place because you knew it was nonsense(see I can use bold as well but i choose not to because Im an adult)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭creedp

I think if you wanted to show real maturity you would have omitted the last part in brackets

• Advertisement

SEAI painting a bleak picture in their latest report.

This article gives the headline stuff

It looks like they are listing a load of options and its up to govt to decide what to go with. I'd say most of it will feed into the next CAP and there's a fair few of the more extreme options that will never get beyond the report

Won't have time to dig into the report for a few days but here it is for anyone wanting to take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

Note to politicians reading this thread

all you have to do is undo all the constant punitive bullshit greens keep dreaming up of and you be onto a winner

out of curiosity I looked into biggest wood pellet manufacturer stocks, if you had money in this you no longer have that money as they about be delisted and probably declare bankruptcy

burning money would have at least provided heat

https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/eva/

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Tax,tax,tax&m ore tax.what a futile future for the country.non stop propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't understand the SUV angle. Many of them are small engine machines. Weight is a problem but there are plenty of other vehicles with higher emissions than many SUVs. We already have varying tax rates on CO2. Is that not fit for purpose now? Or is the problem weight, but that again should result in higher CO2 out the back. I don't see how an SUV can be described as a "luxury" item too. People buy them for the increased safety, space and usefulness over traditional saloons/hatchbacks.

BTW, small engines are often a false economy as a small engine would need to work much harder than a larger one to propel a vehicle, and keep at a constant speed. Often times a bigger engine would be more efficient, especially on national roads when cruising. Case in point, my 2.2l diesel uses 5.5l/100km at 100km/h while the 1.8l petrol hybrid is at 6.3l/100km at the same speed.

Other points in that report are kite flying. There'll be no restrictions on the biggest polluters. Cement manufacturing is not going to be curtailed. Taxing it will drive house prices higher (see concrete levy). Aviation is not going to be curtailed. They want to increase Dublin airport capacity by 20%.

A growing population means more energy demand. More heat pumps, more EVs, etc means more reliance on fossil fuels (primarily gas) until renewables are rolled out at a massive scale to compensate. The Energy Security report yesterday state gas usage is going to increase in the medium term. Even the SEAI in that repot "raises doubts that extra renewable electricity from wind and solar farms will be rolled out fast enough to meet the demand." That has been a constant message here which always seems to be dismissed by wind/solar evangelists.

SUV's look to be getting it from all sides, they are lethal to pedestrians and cyclists. France is going to kill the SUV and pickup market there by effectively adding 60,000 eur to the sticker price. There are various proposals here for something similar, have to wait and see what is done

You do realise a lot of modern SUVs are hybrid or electric right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Have you the stats showing the difference SUVs are making in accidents? Had heard anecdotally that they are more dangerous but never seen the stats. They are bigger and heavier so definitely would do more harm if hit by one.

While I have you, any idea on HVO roll out as a replacement for diesel in ICE cars? Would lead to reductions in tailgate emissions for diesels. CircleK were supposed to be rolling it out but haven't heard much lately. What is the government strategy on it or are they just all in on EVs? (i ask you as you lay your hand on government reports regularly, and maybe have seen something)

Is that the same France who are the greenest country in Europe for decades now because of nuclear power which you and your sidekick spent pages and pages arguing against?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭creedp

More like €3k to €6k for big heavy luxury SUVs. Interesting though how no French manufactured SUVs are impacted🤔 Good auld fashioned protectionism....never miss an opportunity to gain a home advantage from a [environmental] crisis

• Advertisement

The engine type is irrelevant as regards the other societal issues

I'm tight on time today so can't go digging but there was something out of the US recently on SUV/pickups and pedestrian outcomes in collisions. I'll grab it tomorrow

As for HVO, honestly haven't a clue. I know the likes of An Post and Galway City Council have gotten a few larger vehicles that use it but that's about all. I personally don't see it as being a major player in the future

I gave you the stats from Ember, I showed you the study from The Natural Resource Defence Council, I showed you the article from The Guardian that backed up its claim with link to studies from Sweden, Finland, France, Denmark and Australia where each found that burning wood was not carbon neutral. None of these studies were from anti greens. They were all from green advocacy groups or think tanks. If you wish to ignore what they had to say on wood burning by attempting to shoot the messengar then that is up tp you.

The facts are simple, If you are burning wood in whatever form, be it in a wood pellet stove or in a power plant, then you are emiting CO2 and there is no such thing as being a little bit pregnant.

I really do not care what you burn to provide heat. In fact to me it make perfect sense. Even more so than economic reasons to do so rather than being totally dependent on electricity for everything. At least during power cuts or outages you will have heat. Something that for the elderly is even more important.

I was not pointing the finger at you saying I believed you were wrong to burn wood. More at some here who tell us the only energy we should be using is that provided by carbon neutral renewables, but then are happy to burn wood themselves. Even encouraging others to do the same. To me, other than finding it a bit amusing, I found it self contradictory.

What does it have to do with climate change?

The mask finally slipped, your green religion has little to do with solving climate change and when one scratches under the surface it’s yet another far left / right nonsense ideology whose main aims of degrowth would make the most authoritarian dictators blush

Yet here we are again after the last two COP beanfeasts back on the merry-go-round throwing more billions in the same direction this time on climate change and somehow expecting a different outcome.

Albert Einstein had an opinion on that. Short version. Insanity.

Advertisement