Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Have the strikes on Gaza lessened? I'm not seeing much reports of them in the last few days.

EDIT: I see AlJ are reporting a few in the south now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No we didn't. We had armchair munitions experts saying bombs don't make craters so it must be tunnels

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

More on the violation of international law through collective punishment. A half tanker of fuel but not for use in hospitals.

First fuel delivery to the UN in Gaza

The first truck carrying fuel into Gaza since the start of Israel's war with Hamas crossed from Egypt on Wednesday to deliver diesel to the United Nations, though it will do little to alleviate shortages that have hampered relief efforts.

The delivery was made possible by Israel giving its approval for 24,000 litres of diesel fuel to be allowed into Gaza for UN aid distribution trucks, though not for use at hospitals, according to a humanitarian source.

"This is only 9% of what we need daily to sustain lifesaving activities," Tom White, director of UN relief agency UNRWA in Gaza, posted on social media platform X. He confirmed that just over 23,000 litres, or half a tanker, had been received.

"Our entire operation is now on the verge of collapse," said UNRWA director Philippe Lazzarini. "It is appalling that fuel continues to be used as a weapon of war."

Aid workers say a lack of fuel, which is needed for hospital generators, provision of water, sewage treatment and communications as well as for the distribution of relief, has contributed to a sharp deterioration of conditions for Gaza's 2.3 million residents.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What? UK was a small player?

You're not serious?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't believe we have posters who think Oct 7 was the first act of aggression

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Agree, such disrespect.

And terribly sad that many civilian victims were among the more enlightened Israeli citizens. If it had to be someone, then hardcore Zionists and settlers would have been more worthy of ire.

But as Hamas showed, simply being on Israeli soil was enough to warrant murder, hence all the Thai people killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Amazing that you still cling rigidly to your argument about 'international law'. When it's clear to a 7 yr old that Israel have blown the whole concept of 'international law' apart. They couldn't give a crap about your 'international law'. And when it eventually dawns on you that Israel is up for war crimes and worse, your whole defence will fall into the dust just like the people & buildings being collapsed by the IDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

I assume hamas will also have a court date?

Multiple previous and continued war crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

I saw a video clip today from inside the now seized hospital. An Israeli military individual was showing a bag of weapons and equipment they claim to have found in a room in the hospital.

Now I am vocally supporting Israel but by god they need to do a bit better than that. There needs to be something significant.

It is worth noting that they have stated that they are still checking the above ground . But nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If there is (or was) a Hamas complex under the hospital, I wouldn't be expecting to see anything of it for another day or two. I would strongly doubt that "Secret Hamas HQ" would be signposted right underneath "Obstetrics" and above "Newborn Intensive Care". Hiding passageways to basements etc is a practice with a long history: If you can hide tunnels in Colditz, you can probably hide a tunnel access port under a hospital.

However, I'd be surprised if there is even a concealed access point. It's an un-necessary risk, any such subterranean complex need not be attached to the hospital in order to receive the protections of it, just tunnel to underneath. It's not as if the Israelis would be dropping a penetrating bunker buster through the hospital and into the earth beneath. We're not going to know until after systems like ground penetrating radars or seismic mappers are used, which will take a while. So in the short term, the lack of anything positive doesn't mean anything much.

And this is all they said about October 7th:

"The incursion by Palestinian armed groups on October 7th included criminal attacks against civilians."

Some effort from this group of academics.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

What an absolute failure from the IDF. You know if there was something significant there it wuld be blasted all over their social media channels.

What's there - a bag of guns in a cabinet and a load of premature babies that will not survive because of Israels actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Why take the hospital then? Why don't the idf just go to where the entrance is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

Schrodingers hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

And Hamas would be unbelievably stupid to leave incriminating evidence linking them to any tunnels under hospitals, and providing Israel with justification for attacking hospitals / schools etc. No way. A few Kalashnikovs only points to a plant by the IDF. And that's how it will appear too. ( as is already happening )

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Has been an absolute disaster for the IDF and for the shoddy American intelligence that facilitated the assault on a working hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

100% : if they had found the supposed command and control centre, it would have been all over Twitter (with the legions of Israel bots / propagandists in the West furiously retweeting on their behalf). The silence has been rather deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Incredibly disappointing that the government didn't vote in favour of the Soc Dems motion tonight, although I am not surprised. Shameful considering this country's own past suffering as a result of genocide and oppression

Why would we want to expel the ambassador, is it not better to keep those lines of diplomacy etc ?

• Advertisement

Just because there is nothing of significance there how, does not mean that it has always been empty. Just a technical comment from me .

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

That's good enough evidence then so. There is nothing there but there might have been at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

They're willingly committing genocide, have attacked hospitals resulting in premature babies dying and have spread a huge amount of propaganda. This didn't start on October 7th. They've been dehumanising Palestinians for decades. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over losing diplomacy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Thought the Israelis had released detailed "maps" of the underground complex a few weeks ago. Seems yesterday's propaganda is quickly forgotten. Israeli's have actually nothing to show for their weeks of brutality, apart from pulverizing a city

Tell me Fuascailteoir, if you were Hamas would you practically gift wrap such a publicity coup to Israel as to leave very incriminating evidence in any tunnel near hospitals or schools linking it them? And thereby strengthening Israels justification for attacking such locations? Hamas are not that stupid. They are winning the publicity war presently, and they're not going to do anything silly to jeopardize that.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Ah I agree with you.

But as you say it's been going on for decades and we still kept that diplomatic relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

But if you can come to that very logical conclusion how did the IDF not reach the same conclusion? What did they realistically expect to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

what israel agrees or disagrees with is irrelevant given they are an expansionist colonial force who have committed hundreds of thousands of war crimes.

they have and do break every single international and human rights law, they have the highest amount of resolutions against it of any country, their government and military lie about everything.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Israel has already gone after Paddy Cosgrave, and, to be entirely fair, I think they had quite a case in that regard, as Cosgrave's Twitter activity was very much of the "I support the massacre by Hamas but I'm too cowardly to say it outright so I'll just infer it with likes, and tweets by The Ditch which I can plausibly pretend not to have been behind".

But if the Israel lobby was genuinely concerned for the welfare of Jews worldwide they'd go after one man with a gigantic platform - maybe the biggest platform of anybody in the entire world - and that is Elon Musk.

The stuff Musk has come out with on Twitter tonight is mind boggling. Anybody who reads the full exchange he was involved can see he's positioning himself as the "Hitler was right" guy. Musk's anti-Semitism has been obvious for quite a while now. He's been called "America's most dangerous anti-Semite".

I don't expect Israel to go after Elon Musk. Why? They fear him because of his platform. But if they wanted to do one genuinely good thing for the world in all this alongside all the shlt they've unleashed, they'd go after Musk, because he's a genuine Jew hater and needs to be taken down.

Advertisement