Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yeah, it's really funny alright...a real side splitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

That its a bit of overkill to say teenagers cant go out after dark.

Pearl clutching, you might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

When Lowry (who only gives a flying **** about Lowry) starts shooting his mouth off, it's safe to assume he's getting jip from the locals

The pearl clutching is strictly reserved for the Govt and RTE as they gas light the entire country about the rise of the far right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

I'm not sure about specifying just tennagers but as a woman walking past these large groups of young men is intimidating, and I would feel the same if they were a group of Irish men so that is in no way a racist comment. They are stuck bored in a hotel all day with no where else to go so they are going to gather in groups outside. As a mother of teenagers I wouldn't feel good about them being out at night especially with gangs hanging around. I'm sure I'll be called racist and paranoid etc but I would rather be safe. The fact we are in a rural town with feck all Garda presence means taking care of my own safety. Again danger comes in any ethnicity but I don't think it's fair to LOL at people's fears over large groups hanging about. If it was teenagers they would be ran for loitering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

We cant criminalise people for walking on the streets.

All towns and cities play their part in this effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ahh sure free of charge Ukranian tourists have to be able to go on holiday home, I'm surprised the government aren't providing a free Santa visit for their kids at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭minimary

I have no clue what they're trying to do with their current policies, its like they're trying to make people unsympathetic towards the Ukranians but then still scold anyone who suggests that Ireland cannot continue being so ridiculously generous towards such a large group.

If I was in Government and I was worried about the number of Ukranians coming here, I would not weeks ago announce that at a certain point new arrivals will be treated in a worse manner, of course anyone whos thinking of coming will come asap. If they are going to reform the rules they should just do it. It drives me crazy all these announcements and then absolutely no action.

The rules on people getting the dole which is the equivalent to the payment the Ukranians are getting is that you can only be absent from the State for 2 weeks a year and have to let the social welfare office know in advance, that rule should be applied to the Ukranians. Also we are far enough into this that the Government should start means testing and also collaborating with the Ukranian embassy to make sure that everyone getting these supports are genuine Ukranian citizens.

When the State is announcing that there is no money for things like upskilling https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/education/2023/11/14/five-year-plan-to-upskill-thousands-of-workers-put-on-hold-amid-spending-concerns/ they can't still offer the most generous payments to Ukranians and expect there not to be animosity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Of the now daily court reports of assaults carried out by people in these centres, plastered over the local papers, this one caught my eye.

Bail and back to city West for this pillar of the community.

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2023/11/15/ukrainian-refugee-returned-to-dublin-after-alleged-west-donegal-assault/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In the middle of covid restrictions when there were very few flights out of the country. 🫥

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why? Why would there be a deliberate conspiracy to destroy tourism?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think this is a question you should be answering. Or do you not think tourism is being destroyed.

What a total joke. That city west must be full of lovely additions to the country if this is the norm. No wonder Dublin has become a total third world city in some parts.

Very few coming in either, one plus of the pandemic .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭newhouse87

None of the ones referenced in the media so far have Irish names

You are the one putting forward the proposition that decisions are being made to deliberately destroy tourism. I don't believe in that conspiracy so no its not something for me to explain at all.

Terry Pratchet

If local businesses say tourist footfall is way down because the hotels are filled with refugees and asylum seekers I'd be inclined to believe them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The concerns of the people of Killarney have been ignored by the government and the importation of 70 men into the town will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

In regards to Ukrainians traveling home for Christmas and have to be back by Jan 5, the article says "Under a protocol set out by government, Ukrainians living in State-funded temporary accommodation may travel and be absent from that accommodation without notifying the Ukraine Crisis Temporary Accommodation Team (UCTAT) in advance."

So if they don't self report to the UCTAT, who will ever know that they ever travelled outside the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When is the review of welfare payments eligibility due?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

What are you talking about you racist??? It's perfectly normal for refugees fleeing for their lives and safety to go back to that same war zone for Christmas. Honestly some people.

Or the alternative view is that they're completely taking the piss while being facilitated by the organs of the State to do so. If you really wanted to raise anti refugee sentiment, I couldn't think of a better way to do it. Especially when people are put to the pin of their collar trying to keep fed, warm and have a roof over their heads.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

It's infuriating that those in state paid accommodation, with pocket money of €200 pw and a Christmas double, with all the extras that the Irish tax payer cannot access like free doctor visits, can go off on their Christmas holidays to the country they fled. Even if they don't go back to the country they fled and go off on a city break or sun, it's still an insult that they have the luxury of these things when a lot of us are pinned to our collars, paying massive rents, bills and high food costs. Where is the fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Guess they'll just have to protest and continue this game of refugee tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

It is truly bizarre the level of damage being done to the tourism sector in this country by the clowns we have in charge. Why the hell would you focus so many refugees in tourist hubs? This is up there with DCC opening injection centres and homeless services in Temple Bar, another bit of bizarre policy that lacks any kind of foresight, despite the predictable results.

It's probably almost 10 years ago now that I met one of the rarest of unicorns while down in Waterville in Kerry, a couple of black American tourists.

Since I considered it unlikely that they were there to trace their Oirish ancestry, I asked them why they chose to holiday in Ireland.Their primary concern was safety, with the groundswell of anti-Americanism at the time and Islamist bombs popping off in places like Paris and London, they chose Ireland, a place they knew little about becaues they considered Ireland a safe, English speaking country with very friendly locals.

I wonder how that same couple would react, as Americans (our highest spending tourist demographic) to the sight of niqabs floating down Killarney hight street and groups of Arab men hanging around on corners making lewd, harassing comments towards women in the town. Something tells me that their next vacation will be Iceland...

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

Don't forget there's a double children's allowance too

No it was not me put forward that at all.

But on that point I'm not naive enough to know what is happening in this country is definitely not destroying tourism. But some people just like to think that this is not going to have serious repercussions .As for myself I find it totally despicable how some of our biggest tourist counties,towns and villages have been turned into refugee Hotspots ,Must be very strange for tourists coming over to experience the Irish culture and people meeting this kind of influx of migrants. And this won't have an effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

It probably comes down to the fact that the main tourist towns are where the highest concentration of hotels and guesthouses are. This current crop of "leaders" are unlikely to have thought everything through and the impact on tourism wasn't foreseen.

Advertisement