Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let me push that stool in for you: the off-topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Ah Drinkstore is still very good. They sometimes have very well priced whiskey, funnily enough. If you watch some of their pricing at times they are 10 euro lower than CWS on odd things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

While we're on the subject of off-licences \ outlets, does anyone know what happened with L Mulligans Whiskey Shop?

I thought if it closed of eg covid or lease reasons there would at least have been a so long and thanks or something on their Twitter, but just seemed to vanish.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unit has something else in it now I think. Have to assume COVID closure; possible contributor to that is that one of the owners of L Mulligans went to her parents in Australia and was there for the duration (may also have had nothing to do with it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I did forget about Drinkstore, and the comment on Spirits is correct, they are often a fair bit cheaper than CWS.

I like their walk-in cooler room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Have they taken to displaying prices on all their beers?

• Advertisement

I haven't been in in ages, so I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone able to recommend a beer festival in Belgium/Germany in the month of June?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Never been, but the Bruges Beer Festival is a biggie. 10-11 June: https://www.brugsbierfestival.be/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I dont know if they had some flooding or plumbing issues but Underdog smells pretty bad. Brought some 'non-craft beer' friends there last night and they insisted we leave after 1 drink, I don't blame them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Does anyone have any particular recipes that uses beer? I know there are beer braised beef recipes out but curious what others do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭tommiet

beer can chicken. I use a can of Wicklow wolf red ale. just Google beer can chicken, a real crowd pleaser during summer BBQ days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A dark porter/black IPA in a stew.

I've used Corona in a slow cooker mexican chicken, similar to this https://www.threeolivesbranch.com/slow-cooker-mexican-beer-chicken

An American lite beer in chili.

I've braised apples in a pumpkin ale with brown sugar before putting them in a pie before.

I didn't enjoy Guinness bread but I've had it in the back of my mind to use something like franziskaner in a banana bread recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Let's say that you use a really high alcohol, dark, flavorful beer like Guinness Stout.

?!?

Scrap the cap!

There are many Guinness stouts around the world. They go up to 8% ABV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭tommiet

It's a fun way to cook chicken, I use a purpose built chicken holder I got in Aldi, haven't gotten any complaints yet, plus no has ever gotten sick.

Sure but if something similar to what we call Foreign Extra is sold in the US, it's hardly marketed as "Guinness Stout" as then what would they call the common or garden 4.2% product?

'Irish = alcoholics so it must be very strong' seems to be at work here

Scrap the cap!

At the risk of going on-topic here, there's no product called "Guinness Stout" anywhere. In the US you have Guinness Draught (4.2%), Guinness Original (5%), Guinness Extra (6.5%) and Guinness Foreign Extra (7.5%). I would guess that Guinness Special Export (8%) exists on the grey market somewhere, likewise the various versions of Foreign Extra not marketed there by Diageo.

Also, I think it's highly likely that the author doesn't know much about beer so I wouldn't read a lot into their detail on that aspect of the article.

No one seems to care. I've posted links to these articles before. I think people like the theatre of it and are convinced it improves the chicken, even if it doesn't!

On cooking with beer :

I always use whatever cheap lager I can find instead of water in Irish Stew (not a brown, thickened beef stew - an Irish Stew) . If you make Irish Stew try this. You'd never know there's beer in it but the broth much tastier.

I've done a chicken stew with hommelbier in the past. I'd reckon any hoppy full flavoured pale beer would do.

Lots of beef carbonade type dishes with dark Belgians.

Try different beers instead of stout in beef stews. Dunkleweiss is lovely in a stew, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

For meat stews I usually use a decent pour of stout or dark/red ale. Same goes for chilli, but I'd also use lager in it as well.

Mic's sauces are quite nice as well and feature Galway Bay beers in some of them.

Thanks for the recommendations, all.

Beef carbonade sounds promising - Googled a reciepe, and BBC Good Food suggest a Belgian ale / Trappist ale. Exactly what I had in mind. Do you have a particular one you usually follow?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For cakes, I use Nigella Lawson's Guinness recipe and just substitute whatever stout I have going, usually a pastry/adjunct stout that I want a taste of but wouldn't drink the whole can!

Porter cake is another nice one, I just use the one on the Odlum's website. Pretty straightforward.

I've made caramel sauce with a particularly sweet/sticky flavoured imperial stout. Couldn't hack drinking it, made a nice sauce though, used it on pancakes and ice cream.

I've also used lager to make caramelised onions to go on burgers & hot dogs, they were delicious!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Speaking of recipes, my brother made buttered beer last year at Christmas. https://www.historyextra.com/membership/historical-recipe-buttered-beere/

I can't say I enjoyed it but he thought it was alright...

No particular recipe, no.

. Most of the online recipes are very much the same as any beef stew I might make but with Belgian beer.

I think I did a bit of shallow research some years ago and came up with the following ideas. I don't remember whether I ended up using bacon or not. Other than that : Only beef and onions and beer with bread and mustard on top. No, carrots, no flour, no stock, no tomatoes/puree, no garlic . I probably did use bay leaf and thyme,and, of course, salt and pepper. Super simple.

Brown beef really well in batches. I like big cubes of shin. Lots of onions and brown well, too. I like a dark Belgian. Chimay blue area. You don't need to quite cover the meat with beer. Cook in oven for around 3 hours, low.

I also, sometimes, like a little spice added. Just a tiny bit so you'd almost not taste it. A couple of cloves, a couple of allspice berries, I little bit of cinnamon stick, a bit of star anise, few thin slices of fresh ginger. Less is more, only whole spices, no ground mixed spice, please.

Can't find the recipe that inspired all this, now. It's really rich. I liked it and it's a bit different from every other beef casserole (which I love, but was making anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

I've made this soup before.

Oh, forgot that I made a kreik sauce to go with duck breast once. Was, basically reduced kreik and stock with a bit of fresh kriek thrown in at the end. Was good.

Made the beef carbonade over the weekend - used this recipe as a base to begin: https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/beef-carbonnade/

It will be added to the rotation to be sure. Will tweak it with the spices @the beer revolu suggested, and maybe bring the onions darker.  

• Advertisement

While that's an interesting article, why is it about Guinness and not stout/porter, generally?

Name recognition to get people to click into an article, I guess? People know of Guinness stew perhaps more commonly than stew-with-stout?

I've used Leann Folláin in place of Guiness when making stew and enjoyed the results previously.

paid for article I'd say

I've used Astral Grains from Lineman in place of Guinness this year, in xmas puddings. Well, my mam sent me to the offo to get a bottle of guinness and I told her I'd get something else.

When I got back from the offo she read the label and said it sounded nice, poured whatever she needed into the pudding mix and I told her to have a sip. She liked it, and said she never touches stout because she dislikes Guinness.

Astral Grains is a fabulous stout.

I'm not a fan of cooking with Guinness. While, to drink, it doesn't taste particularly bitter, when cooked, I find it's often bitter and burnt tasting.

I've probably had better results cooking with any other beer over Guinness but still, it's always Guinness in recipes and articles.

• Advertisement

Seems to be more geared toward Deliveroo et al delivering "bags of cans", but wary of what else could be snook in.

A classic case of thinking that making new laws is a viable solution to poor enforcement of ones we already have. I also don't get why they've today "launched" a report which was published last March, with no new information.

The revised heads of bill(s) have been promised by the end of the month. I'm not so worried about what might be snook in, as the abolition of the extinguishment requirement being quietly snook out at the request of publicans.

It's just the next round of the war on home drinkers.

Some of those lads will deliver more than takeaways or bags of cans, though, if you get me... when drugs become easier and cheaper to get than drink, what do these Einsteins think will happen?

Scrap the cap!

Prime example of OTT Guinness bolloxology right here:

"We want to have the best Guinness in the UK."

Er are you forgetting Northern Ireland is in the UK?

“So we’ve spent a year perfecting everything. We’ve been meticulous and careful. But I’m not sharing specifics. I can’t reveal our secrets.”

🙄

"And there lies one crucial element: the people. For all the cost and resources, a pint of Guinness cannot be purposefully poured by anyone. It is a skill, perhaps even an art form."

🙄🙄

Scrap the cap!

In fairness, it's a good marketing angle. People will definitely choose that pub over others on the grounds that its pints are somehow sprinkled with authentic leprechaun dandruff.

• Advertisement

Visiting Ghent in a few weeks, and came across this beer shop

Their Untappd seems to be up to date with 100s of beers which is an overwhelming level of choice.

I know I want to seek out lambics / krieks / geuzes we don’t often get in Ireland, and the Trappist breweries also (I see Zundert and Tynt Meadow for example).

When you take a trip to Belgium, what beers / breweries are you actively seeking out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was in Ghent several years ago, an immensely more enjoyable stay than my time in Bruge which was overrun with tourists. I couldn't tell you what I drank but there was rarely a bad beer to be had if you stuck to traditional stuff. If you aren't already aware of interesting pubs to go to then I'd recommend these 2

Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant - Lovely spot right on the water with a great selection of Belgian beers and good food.

Dulle Griet - Can be extremely busy due to their novelty footwear surrender system but an excellent selection of Belgian beers, they boast over 500.

I tend to buy pretty much everything I can get from Brasserie de la Senne. They rarely disappoint. Its arch-nemesis Brussels Beer Project makes lots of excellent beers too.

Thanks for that, both. Feel like I need a predetermined game plan before going into that shop...

A snip at £750!!!

Incidentally if you go looking for this on their Irish site you get redirected to the UK one. Even though that site says it doesn't ship anything outside the UK.

Also the cans are over £3 a pop!

And there I was thiking Nitrosurge gadget and cans are a silly price...

Scrap the cap!

Considering the effort and expense that people go to to have draught beer at home, this seems a relatively cheap and easy setup to get that bar experience at home. I wouldn't consider it myself, but then I wouldn't consider a keg, cooler, gas and tap setup either - even if it was free!

Considering pub pints are mostly €6 plus, now, €3 doesn't seem so bad. I'm paying over €3 for 440ml craft cans.

No offence to any Guinness drinkers out there, but that's an apples and oranges comparison. Surely the apt comparison is the exact same liquid just sold in a slightly different can... which actually costs more to make but sells for a lot less

Also €3 is not £3, and if I'm drinking at home I'm paying for my own heat, light, entertainment and washing my own glasses 😉

Scrap the cap!

My point was that compared to getting a keg, cooler, regulator, gas bottle, tap, pipes and fittings, it seems a lot less hassle and probably expense.

Slightly less mad money than a home keg setup but still mad money. At least kegs work out cheap per pint apart from the setup costs. You'd be looking at at least €3.50 a can if they sell that here.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has Beercloud announced that they've stopped selling non Dead Centre related stuff? All I can see is their range + craft soda (family connection I think) + merch.

I could drink an entire box of Marooned, but was looking at getting something more varied. I used to rotate my box orders between the different suppliers but hadn't been doing it as often; so Craft Central it is then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement