Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Tubridy joins The Wireless Group - Thread bans in opening post

• 16-11-2023 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Ryan Tubridy has joined the News Broadcasting and Wireless Ireland family. After many months of speculation, He will present a daily 3 hour music and entertainment show on both Virgin Radio UK and Dublin’s Q102, starting early in the new year.

He will also present a weekend show that will broadcast on Q102, Cork 96, Limerick 95 & LMFM.

--------------------------------------------------

Thread Bans

@ButtersSuki

@CGI_Livia_Soprano

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭squonk

Christ that’s 15 hours a week plus maybe 2 at the weekend! 17 hours and a few hours prep. I just hope he’ll cope with long hours like that in the long term!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Delighted for him

Hopefully his enormous salary doesn't affect his soul like his last job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

Weekends on LMFM!!!!!!

Thanks to the shareholders of The Wireless Group for taking over the financial burden from the Irish Licence Fee fools.

He'll have four Rajar surveys to make it a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭chilloutrelax

I wonder what the Q102 schedule will look like with this change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Same show for UK and IRL audiences? really?

It seems Tubs is now working for the lovely Murdoch family's News Corporation now. Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Only Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Louth and Meath will be able to hear his show... not Galway, Waterford or the rest of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

Probably not too different.

Breakfast with Aidan and Venetia 6am-10am.

Ryan Tubridy 10am-1pm

Andy Preston 1pm-4pm

Liam Coburn 4pm-7pm

Or something to that affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You're posting on the internet so you know it exists.

Anybody, anywhere will be able to hear the show that's if they wanted too.

I know I won't as I just don't see his appeal as a broadcaster.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Can’t keep a good man down. This is terrible news for a load of malcontents, losers, oddballs and ne'er-do-wells on Twitter. The all-day anger merchants who think anyone who makes more money or is more successful than them is somehow on the take.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Look I don’t wish him bad luck with this and do hope he lands in his feet. I don’t want to see anyone left without a living. It’s a fact though that he did present a pretty poor show on RTE five days a week and was pretty abysmal as a TV presenter so he has an uphill struggle ahead. Not withstanding all that, I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He was massively overpaid....as has been shown by the fact the figures in his slot are up since he left.

I wont be listening but hey for those who enjoy him grand stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Who is he replacing on Virgin? Havent listened to it for years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Whatever about the weekend network show across the Irish stations, I wonder how C na M feel about a primetime networked show from another country - one that isn't even in the EU at that - being broadcast on Q102?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

This is big news and I am delighted that our greatest broadcaster (alongside Wogan, Eamon Andrews, Gay Byrne) will once again be on our airwaves very soon.

in my parish there has been a lot of lonesomeness since he left RTE.

radio is one of the most wonderful mediums of communication and I look forward to hearing his booming voice soon - I certainly will be switching the dial on my radio.

there will be so much fun in my life soon

He is a national treasure and brings great joy to a lot of people in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone that comes on tv every Friday night with a sad face begging for money off normal families while publicly claiming to be doing his bit all the while being topped up on the QT to prevent him from actually doing his bit is a dick, pulling a dick move and based on the evidence of him being in possession of a large sum of money that all agree should be returned due to work not being done, being on the take is not an outlandish description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Funnily enough, he mentions the broadcasting giant Terry Wogan who was many thousands of miles above himself in broadcast legend, here:

Tubridy paid tribute to legendary broadcaster Terry Wogan, who he said

was on his mind today: “He was a lovely representative of our country in

this place. I'm thinking about him a lot today.”

Are Virgin AND Tubridy expecting another Wogan in the UK?...erm...

He's moving to Islington (surprise, surprise)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TheBMG

It’s a weekend show for the Irish stations I think

Anyone know a good ice cream shop in Islington? I’m sure he’d be eager to find out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

YES .. on Q102, Cork 96, Limerick 95 & LMFM for a show at the weekend. BUT will be on Q102 Dublin all week from 10am-1pm simulcast

"Ryan Tubridy is returning to radio with a show on Q102 in Dublin and Virgin Radio in the UK from London.

He’ll be on-air across the two stations from 10am till 1pm weekdays, following Chris Evans on Virgin Radio UK and Aidan and Venetia in Dublin."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Mid morning matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

So despite tripling his weekday broadcasting hours, he still needs a weekend gig to supplement his income. I suspect he's found out his value in the open market was nowhere near what he was being paid by RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

will The Wireless Group provide him with a suitable company vehicle ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭waywill1966

• Advertisement

That's normal attire and transport method around the gentrified streets of Islington!

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Ireland one again loosing its best and brightest to foreign shores 🙁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

You’d have to presume that Tubs is making more coin as a result of this gig than he was in RTE. Showed some amount of stoicism in fairness. Didn’t respond to all the cranks and naysayers.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wonderful news.

What a man. And what an agent!

Thankfully, being good at your job, and looking after your clients, won’t be an impediment in the UK

Post edited by EmmetSpiceland on

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

He is on Q102 10am-1pm weekdays which will be a simulcast of Virgin Radio UK.

This is the next step in networking that we've seen creep in, what has up to now been networked from Dublin, could going forward end up networked from further afield.

He's already brought up two dead people to agonisingly get to some kind of morality tale in that X clip.

Best of luck to Virgin listeners Mid Morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's hard to say - his stock was very low when he went out into the market looking for new work, and was definitely approaching any negotiation from a position of weakness. One would expect that the likes of Virgin commercial managers are not pushovers like Dee Forbes. In any case, as we are not paying it doesn't matter. From RTEs perspective though, it would be interesting for them to know what the open market rate for their best star ended up being.

One thing for sure though is that he will have to work a lot harder over there, three hours every day is a lot of time to fill and keep interesting at the same time.

As I said, he's got a great slot and is punching above his weight with it. The problem with that though is that if you don't quickly step up, you will get clobbered.

He won't get a better chance to become an internationally successful broadcaster.

He got a great slot filling in mornings the Graham at the BBC and didn’t manage to name more out of it. Hopefully he’ll be more successful this time

I have wondered will the current 10-1pm shows on Cork 96, Limerick 95 & LMFM be in time replaced with Tubs show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Will he have a virgin toy show on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Best of luck to him. He's a good presenter and hopefully this works out for him. Certainly don't begrudge him getting this gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Terrific news. Means we’ve finally seen the back of him. Norton and co must be quaking at the thought of being in his presense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No the weekdays show is only the Dublin station

I wonder will there be a hate-listen thread started here where people who hate Tubridy listen to him each and every day so they can pass comment on everything?

Yip realise that, and thats the case for the moment. If it is a big success on Q102, one could imagine a simulcast also on other Irish Wireless Group stations - Cork 96, Limerick 95 & LMFM - is a possibility?

I did say "in time" in my sentence on this :D

It would be an interesting thing? A UK + IRL daily Radio Show live broadcasted in both Jurisdictions with callers from both Jurisdictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Hopefully they will be paying the British TV licence to excuse their bilious outbursts, that's the justification you'll see around here. It's abominable, B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

From what little I know I would have thought Virgin's profile was a bit younger & poppier than Tubs? I guess he can tailor his schtick, not so much Dean Martin and Tony Bennett, the way he presumably did when he moved to 2FM...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭smallfridge

Unlikely in Cork anyway, PJ Coogan is pulling 60k - 70k listeners according to latest JNLR so can't imagine Tubs will end up on in Cork in that time slot anyway.

Good luck to him though, always liked him on tv and radio and I hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement