Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Of more importance than the sideshow in London is the DG, Kevin Backhurst, effectively offering a PAY RISE to the "top talent" in future negotiations.

In an interview with the Indo today he says:

"We would have to look at it individually. If they [the talent] argue that they are worth 250,000 but it means they do 10 fewer days of the year, that's possible. They'd be paid more per day, but they'd keep their salary under 250,000 Euro."

Back to square one we are with this bloke Backhurst. This is exactly the sort of fooling around that drives ordinary people crazy.

Nothing changes

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

The comments on virgin radio’s Twitter feed are quite funny. ‘Gobshite’ being my current favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Still not getting it, no one there is worth that kind of money. Supposed to be saving money and already the plan is being shown to be a sham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

100%. His ‘be kind’ schtick has a relatively low ceiling. He simply doesn’t have what it takes to be the next Wogan or Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Agree. This is nonsense. If the DG is paid €250,000 for a full time job then paying th same to "THE TALENT" for a few hours work is disingenuous at least. More underhand deals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

must stick in the craw of some of the posters here who reckoned he was unemployable outside of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭archfi

He's already brought up two dead people to agonisingly get to some kind of morality tale in that X clip.

Best of luck to Virgin's listeners Mid Morning :)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭yagan

A big problem for english audiences will be his gibberish delivery. It was fine with an Irish audience who are used to speedy speech, but he'll have to slow down and use clear diction like Wogan had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

It's a smart way of dealing with Noel Kelly who will be full of outrage that his client's are being asked to take a massive pay cut. Bakhurst is simply saying "We will continue to pay your clients more generously than anyone else but our requirements for their contractual services has been re-assessed in line with our strategic plan."

The greatest pay scandal of all in RTÉ was giving Marian Finuncane a massive pay rise after she stopped working during the week. A half a million a year to read the weekend newspapers with her pals 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not only that, but fully expect to see the "talent" contracted to independent productions.

The result of these reforms will see these people earn more from RTE. The only difference will be is that you won't be able to opt out of paying for it. Revenue will put their hands in your pockets and take it directly from you.

The whole reform package was a sham to give the Government enough political cover to either directly fund or bring in a broadcasting/media charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

It’s 10am here in London England. Not London Ohio hasn’t the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Brits have always had a bit of a thing for 'posh paddies' like Antony Clare and Henry Sellers, Tubridy would seem to fit that niche.

Yeah it always seemed to me highly likely that a guy with his CV would be able to land some sort of gig in British broadcasting if that was what he wanted to do, even when his haters on here were didmissing him as unemployable. Even the fact that he could get bigshots like Chris Evans and Piers Morgan to hang out with him strongly suggested that he/Noel Kelly had some sort of pull over there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

So Joe Duffy won’t take a pay cut so they’ll put him on a three day week. So new ‘talent’ will fill the other days for €100 an hour probably. Or just play a tape of anyone saying ‘yeah,yeah, terrible. Michael on line 2’

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

In fairness Henry Sellers "made the BBC! "

Henry Kelly too was popular enough in his day but mostly on commercial TV and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

because many people thinks he is an arsehole? so why would they wish him well? don’t get upset about it. we know you are a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Spotted the mistake just after I posted but decided to leave it in for the gaeity of the nation. God knows I make enough deliberate Father Ted references so I'm not surprised one inadvertent one slipped in....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

TBF to Tubs he's absolute shite on TV and much better suited to radio. Best of luck to him.

i dunno we already had insight to his potential greatness shure wasn't he turning on the Christmas lights for the good people of clifden? doesn’t come bigger than that. it’s beautiful he has a new job. it’s beautiful that sunny disposition is more sunnier. only downside now what will fionann Sheehan write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looks to have put on a lot of weight

was he at the Toblerones again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

said it the other day,as soon as they get all this money(ours) its going to be wizzed against the wall,must be a sunami of piss flowing down to sandymount strand already...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'd say Duffy might 'retire' from radio, when his current contract finishes, but he will still do tv work. He, like others, has been on the pigs back for far too many years, and he knows it.

If the barter account and all the rest of it hadn't been revealed, they would all have continued to coast along in the alternative universe that is RTE.

Will be interesting to see how Tubridy fares with a UK audience. I don't think he was very popular with them, when he filled in for Graham Norton on radio, some years ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jesus, just heard his pathetic attempt to "drop names" about Sinead O'Connor ("we were quite friendly"). Continues to prove he has zero class and zero shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This appears to be a complete mess on the face of it.

He's turned his back on Ireland and gone to England.

This suggests Newstalk and Virgin Media here weren't interested in him.

It's a massive embarrassment for Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Its more than just embarassing. He had a cushy number doing 1 hour in the morning and 2 hours on a friday night.

His new gig is 3 hours Monday to Friday AND a show over the weekend.

I dont seem him getting a quarter of what he was on before in Virgin UK, and he has to work for ~3 times as long.

It will be a sharp shock to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Virgin media Tubridy show will be syndicated on Q102 amongst other stations

He will also present a dedicated Irish weekend show across Dublin’s Q102, Cork’s 96FM, Live 95 in Limerick and LMFM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If he doesn’t like that he can “talk to Joe” 😀

Even though he was Irelands most trusted man, and we let him go London. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And the weekend "Irish" show isn't even nationwide any more.

Embarassing is an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dublin City Council have electronic signs running about the dangers of the extra-strong heroin currently going around the city.

From the looks of recent posts on this thread, there should be warnings about the industrial-strength copium in circulation too!

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement