Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't understand you. People don't ignore court orders. Maybe the people in control of the policy at government level would be willing to do.

But at ground level the people who do maintenance on the plane, refuel it, pilot it, steward it, the ATC, the people who file the flight plan. How willing would they be to be hauled in front of a judge? If the flight took off whilst ignoring a court order would it even be considered to be insured? If not, it basically wouldn't be able to fly through anyone elses airspace, quite a problem to reach Rwanda.

The blithe "we're the UK government, nothing can stop us" attitude has been proven wrong time and time again.

Now maybe they will ultimately be able to frame the law in a way that makes it completely legal and doesn't clash with any other agreements they've signed. But until they manage to do so your statement that "if they want to put people on flights to Rwanda, nobody is going to stop them." is at best illogical and at worst Daily Express levels of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Guys, here in the real world they did want to put people on planes and they were stopped by court orders. We don't have to speculate about whether this could happen; it has already happened.

For all the political and constitutional decline of the UK over the past 10 years or so, the rule of law still functions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Unwillingness to actually pay people to go out and stop them I suspect.

Because he doesn't want to stop the boats. He just wants to posture as someone who wants to stop the boats, because the thinks there is electoral advantage to be gained from doing that. Of course, even if that's correct, it's only correct so long as the boats keep coming.

If he actually wanted to stop the boats there are obvious, much-discussed, practical policies he could adopt to do that, but he has never betrayed the least interest in adopting them — they are not cruel enough to appeal to what remains of his base. If he did adopt them, he wouldn't have "stop the boats!" as a wedge issue to try and cling on to the crumbling remnants of the Tory vote.

• Advertisement

Last guy to try it was Charles I. You may have forgotten how that ended but you can guarantee that Charles III remembers, and that's why he won't try anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No airline / leasing firm will break a court order of that type as it may see them barred from operating elsewhere. The RAF won't do the task in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They could stop 99% of the boats tomorrow but they choose not to, the Tories need the boats to continue so they can keep their dwindling base support angry enough to vote for then at the next GE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

british public attitudes towards immigration have been softening for years; but according to the graph in the link below accelerated in that trend around 2010 to 2012. probably just a coincidence that the tories got back in in 2010, but i wonder how much of (or if) the current sentiment is a reaction to the tories/brexit issues/windrush etc.?

anyway, to my untutored eyes the current personality contests in the tory party are clamouring for the increasingly right wing tory member base - i.e. chasing the party leadership but alienating them further from the electorate in general. has there been any polls asking about attitudes to the rwanda idea specifically, i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Starmer is the idiot.

A ceasefire is a perfectly uncontroversial thing to call for especially on the day the Israelis are dragging people out of a hospital.

All the "Brits" I know are against the flights (and they are "ordinary working class" ones too)

anyway, to my untutored eyes the current personality contests in the tory party are clamouring for the increasingly right wing tory member base - i.e. chasing the party leadership but alienating them further from the electorate in general. has there been any polls asking about attitudes to the rwanda idea specifically, i wonder?

There have.

For example, YouGov polled people last June about "the government's proposed policy to send some asylum seekers to Rwanda". The outcome was:

• Strongly support: 24%
    • Somewhat support: 18%
    • Somewhat oppose: 11%
    • Strongly oppose: 28%
    • Don't know: 19%

As might be expected, support closely correlated with political identity: 70% of Tory supporters supported the Rwanda policy, somewhat or strongly, as did 68% of Leavers. By contrast, 65% of Labour supporters, 67% of LD supporters and 64% of Remainers opposed it. So you're right, it's very much an "appeal to the base" strategy rather than a "try to win the middle ground" strategy.

A more recent YouGov poll on 14 November, with a differently-worded question, nevertheless produced broadly similar results:

• Strongly support: 28%
    • Tend to support: 20%
    • Tend to oppose: 11%
    • Strongly oppose: 25%
    • Don't know: 18%

And the breakdown by political identity: Tory, 77% support; Leaver, 75% support; Lab, 61% oppose; LD, 59% oppose; Remainer, 58% oppose.

[Worth pointing out that the November poll was criticised, since the question referred to some asylum applicants "being flown to Rwanda, in Africa, for their asylum applications to be processed". In fact the UK policy is to fly them to Rwanda and not process their asylum applications. Instead, they can apply to the Rwandan government for asylum in Rwanda, and the Rwandan government will process those applications. The plan is frequently mischaracterised in this way, and it's very possible that what a lot of poll respondents are expressing opinions on is the plan they think the government has, rather than the plan the government actually has.]

Early days, but there has also been polling on public opinion following the Supreme Court rejection of the policy. On the question of whether UK should remain a member of the ECHR or withdraw, the results are:

• Remain a member: 58% (Tories, 25%; Leavers, 24%; Lab, 81%; LD, 79%, Remainers, 80%)
    • Withdraw: 28% (Tories, 54%; Leavers; 55%; Lab; 9%; LD, 11%, Remainers, 9%)
    • Not sure: 21%

And finally, what should the government do in response to the Supreme Court rejection of the Rwanda policy?

• Find a safe country to make a similar agreement with: 29% (Tories, 49%; Leavers, 46%; Lab,12 %; LD 17%; Remainers, 14%)
    • Scrap the policy entirely: 39% (Tories, 16%; Leavers, 20%; Lab, 68%; LD 63%; Remainers, 64%)
    • Something else: 14% (Tories, 22%; Leavers, 20%; Lab, 6%; LD 10%; Remainers, 9%)
    • Don't know: 18% (Tories, 13%; Leavers, 14%; Lab, 14%; LD 10%; Remainers, 13%)

[Presumably this poll was taken in the brief window between the Supreme Court judgment being handed down and the government press conference declaring its plan to turn the agreement with Rwanda into a Treaty, enact legislation declaring Rwanda to be a safe country, and just bull ahead with the plan, since none of the options (other than "something else") really cover that.]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers!

Worth pointing out that the November poll was criticised, since the question referred to some asylum applicants "being flown to Rwanda, in Africa, for their asylum applications to be processed". In fact the UK policy is to fly them to Rwanda and not process their asylum applications. Instead, they can apply to the Rwandan government for asylum in Rwanda, and the Rwandan government will process those applications.

was that part of the reasoning behind the judgement? that the UK were refusing to even accept an asylum application in the first place?

I haven't read the judgment yet. But as I understand it the central question was whether Rwanda is a "safe country", meaning (among other things) one where an asylum seeker with a well-founded case for protection was not at risk of being sent somewhere where they would be at risk — typically but not necessarily the country from which they had fled (a practice called "refoulement" in the trade). UK's own law, as well a several international treaties to which the UK is a party, forbid refoulement, or putting asylum seekers at risk of refoulement.

Looking at the evidence presented in the case by both sides the court found that Rwanda is not a safe country; therefore, a policy of sending asylum seekers there is not lawful.

But a policy of sending asylum seekers to a different country would be lawful, if that country were a safe country (and if the UK could make an agreement with such a country).

Or, a policy of sending asylum seekers to Rwanda could be lawful, if there were credible, effective safeguards that satisfied the UK courts that they were not at risk of refoulement in Rwanda.

One way the UK could try to do this would be to change the terms of the deal so that the UK, not Rwanda, would remain responsible for processing the applications of the people concerned, and would accept responsibility to afford them protection if they were found to be entitled. It would then be strongly arguable that Rwanda would have no reason to refoule the asylum seekers — they would be the UK's problem, not Rwanda's — and therefore assurances that they would not do so might be more credible.

We will see come spring time, but I expect the flights will be leaving.

What do you think will happen that makes you so sure the flights will be leaving? Do you really think Sunak will go against the ruling of the supreme Court?

Bear in mind he said "this is the law we have to abide by it" when they ruled against another independence referendum for Scotland, if he now chooses to ignore the courts ruling then Scotland can do the same and hold another independence referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is there any point stopping them ? What happens after they're stopped ?

I assumed that's why they not doing it

I cant see into Rishi's mind, but he is devious and cunning and he has pinned his reputation on this one.

He wouldnt do that if he hadnt already interrogated options.

The only thing that can save his career is to see this one through now. He could have backed down and didnt need to make this commitment.

The fact that he has done it makes me pretty confident he has a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

"The only thing that can save his career is to see this one through now.. ... The fact that he has done it makes me pretty confident he has a solution."

So your claim that flights will go ahead is based on this. I would call that 'nonsense'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Absolutely nothing would suggest he is devious and cunning. He is PM via last man standing and was chancellor because he was the one who agreed to be Cummings gimp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He isn't. He's a careerist whose profile suggests he believes that the state should only exist to imprison people and issue passports.

Nobody cares about small boats and Rwanda. It's an obsession of career politicians on the right and the tabloids. Remember how they U-turned over grade predictions? That was a real problem affecting every child in the country and now it's yesterday's news.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

His "career" is already over, Tories lose the next GE no matter and if he tries to force flights through there will be years of legal wrangling, he will be out of office but he wants to land this on Labour's lap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ouch; you owe me for the years of theraphy I'll need for what those two last words caused my imagination to see... I do agree though; I don't expect any flights to happen but yet another deal for Albania (or similar country) and/or France to get more funding to stop the boats as the main claim in the upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The only flight will be Rishi to California.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. They will do this because this is the solution. Rwanda, the barges, all just populist theatre. The answer lies in cooperation, which since Brexit is seen as a dirty word.

Sunak didn't need to say anything more yesterday than the government would take the ruling from the Supreme Court and look for alternatives to deliver on his pledge to stop the boats. Instead, he doubled down and has given himself yet another hostage to fortune by declaring the flights will happen next spring. It was, IMO, a stupid thing to say. Because there are so many things outside of his control that can derail that from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think Sunak gives a hoot about immigration or boats in the Channel. He seems much more a money merchant, rather than a right wing / far right ideologue. All of this stuff looks like mere posturing to boost his profile.

Do you have the details of his plan?

And if you do, do you have the legal counter measures?

You have neither.

So dont talk nonsense.

I think Sunak cares deeply about stopping the boats because that is his best chance of hanging onto power, and thus making more money for himself, him family, his friends and the party donors.

Deep down he will never be personally impacted by any migrants, so from that POV I agree he doesn't care, but he very much cares as it is the one area that he believes (with some justification) that this is the path to winning (or at least reducing the loss).

I do think that he is a right-wing ideologue. Maybe not as far right as some others, but very much a person that believes that the poor, sick, disabled etc costing him and everyone money and should be reduced as much as possible. Migrants are just the outward manifestation of this.

One thing that always comes across in Vox pops, is the line "we should look after our own first". I hate to tell these people but the migrants are not the reason for the lack of safe school buildings, lack of hospitals, cancelling HS2, lack of police numbers, lack of courts and prison places. Any money saved from migrants will not be spent on libraries, of local pools, or social housing.

Dont get me wrong, I am not defending the tories.

I am pointing out that I believe him when he says he does have a plan. It wont be his. It will come from his advisors.

I think there are still a lot of folks in the UK that have an issue with immigration though. I couldnt agree with your point there.

Just as we have issue with immigration here.

The Kerry quote about teenagers not being able to leave their houses due to the arrival of some IPAs was a great pearl clutching example.

• Advertisement

Why do you believe that he has a plan? Suellen only recently wrote that he didn't have a plan. And then poof, within hours of losing the case not only has he dealt with the fallout but he now has a plan? A plan that he didn't bother with before?

His 'plan' to stop the boats was the Rwanda plan. Even if the court has allowed it, it was never going to be the answer. So as a plan it sucked. But he stuck to it as it was all he had. But now we are expected to believe that he has magically created a plan? But one which he isn't able to tell anyone the details or give any explanation of?

Advertisement