Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There is a market for hotels and a market for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

I posted "AirBNB take a cut of up to 14%"

You posted, and I quote directly "Airbnb's cut is 3% from hosts".

I then provided supporting evidence that stated, again directly: "Airbnb’s commission can go up to 14% or more"

It would seem to me that you were rather definitively wrong in your statement of fact.

You suggesting that some airbnbs charged 900euro a night, on one night of the year, is not a true reflection on times when demand is higher either.

The 1:3 standard ratio of AirBNB revenue to rental income is. Which would suggest 30 days a year of AirBNB hosting will not come anywhere close to 12 months a year of private rental sector income for the vast, vast majority of properties. Which is exactly why stricter regulation is incoming, to force them back to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Some interesting points in this article.

"The latest CSO data indicates there were 4,255 house purchases filed with Revenue in September. This represents a 7.2 per cent decrease compared with the 4,583 purchases in September 2022"

If we are building more and selling less does that mean stock is increasing? Does anyone know the latest Daft stock figures?

If inflation is around 5.4% and house prices in Dublin drop 1.9%% does that mean a real value drop over 7%?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The arguments on here amount to the equivalent of saying "Builders should not have to pay tax on their income because some of them can break the law by failing to declare and pay tax on cash payments as it is"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Get a grip.

Where did I saw Airbnbs charge €900 a night? I said I looked at hotels and what used to be Jury’s in Christchurch were charging €900 for the Friday night when Coldplay are in Dublin.

If you took any notice of the article you quoted, it said in some countries like Italy or where strict cancellation terms are applied by the host, then up to 14% fees can be applied to the host. This isn’t Italy, and if you take a look through Airbnb listings, rarely if ever are strict cancellation terms applied. Hosts have the option of setting cancellation terms, most, if not all do not have a strict no refund under any circumstances cancellation policy, why? Because guests won’t book the property if they think they are going to loose their money in the event of cancellation.

Just because something can be done, doesn’t mean it’s done, so I standby my statement, as an Airbnb host, Airbnb take a 3% cut of fees from the host.

And again, you seem to be ignoring the fact that short let owners, like myself, are willing to take a lower income rather than have a tenancy. The fact that there may be less income from shortlet should make it obvious to you that owners are making a determined decision not to rent long term. If restrictions are applied, then there is a good chance hosts will continue to ignore them, or sell to the highest bidder rather than go back to renting.

I haven’t seen where this 30 day stay has come from (Edit: turns out it was from you, without any supporting information, why you are using the number when it doesn’t currently/may never apply is a mystery), the Twitter link posted earlier refers to proposals made a year ago, earlier this week there were articles indicating that the EU had decided on a “light touch” approach to Airbnb, we should know more from today onwards. We just have to wait and see if the regs get more strict, or more relaxed when the full text of the EU decision is published.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/eu-countries-lawmakers-set-agree-light-touch-rules-airbnb-sources-say-2023-11-10/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Nobody was giving that advice though were they? And who said people should not pay tax? Its up to us all to get our own tax affairs in order. Always been like that. I cant control what tax you pay, so its none of my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I do the same going to this holiday home in Kerry. Got to know the owner, I just text her and she blocks the dates for me. Then I pay her when we leave, she doesn't even want a deposit.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What is a "real value"?

The article is nonsense as there is no context given for any of their figures. A 1.9% decline in Dublin while the rest of the country increased by 4% isn't even explained.

Likely because houses on the higher end of the price range are dropping their prices and skewing the figures.

They wont be returned to the market if the owner doesnt want to go down that road.

If the govt made renting out property more secure for a landlord, we would see more propetry for rent.

Its more carrot and less stick that is needed.

Its easy to avoid the stick, as many on this thread have explained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Good article on dynamic pricing, Read an learn to avoid being fleeced where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Yes, I wish there was more of a deep dive into the figures about which Dublin post codes and price brackets were seeing the highest falls (or increases).

I think if anything, any house under 400 or 400k is still rising as those that would have sought out 500k houses are now bidding for properties 100k less as their purchasing power diminishes...

Sorry "real value" is probably not the proper term.

If inflation is 5.5% and house prices stayed the same numeric figure then technically they droped in value as the money it was previously valued at is now worth 5.5% less due to inflation.

Add a 2% decline in the price and you get a 7.5% decline in property prices. Is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think the EU shot down the government's plan to regulate AirBnB's as the new rules were country wide and too restrictive. I think the government changed the regulations after that but these may be open to challenge

Slava Ukrainii

That makes sense.

So the 30 day limit is not a thing currently?

It was a bizzare strategy by the govt to book up hotels for IPAs whilst concurrently trying to stop AirBnBs operating.

I am not sure where they expected tourists or business travellers to stay, after they had blocked off the usual accomodation options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

We will pay dearly for this stupidity

Nobody should be allowed to profit from state subsidised/provided property. Council property that is not fully utilised should be made a house share for willing tenants

“Only responsible council tenants that pay their rent and be good neighbours should be able to earn money tax-free from the council’s property,” he said.

Ireland's inflation rate doesn't include the purchase cost of housing.

Inflation is calculcated on the CPI (consumer price index) which is a measure of the changing cost of an imaginary "basket of goods and services" that a typical household may buy.

What's included in this imaginary basket is based on the household budget survey held every 5 years

Mortgages are included, so increasing mortgage rates will cause inflation to increase.

And this "imaginary basket" is used by central banks all over the world as the best means to calculate inflation/value of money.

Therefore a 5.5% increase whilst property staying the same price would reduce the value of the housing by same percent...? Again that's not including the decline that's actually happening to the price which is resulting in over 7% decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CPI also includes rent as well as mortgage interest. It would be quite hard to pick a baseline to add in housing costs considering the variability across the country is higher than for rent these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Probably best to compare to wage inflation rather than CPI to assess change in ‘real’ affordability.

Wages are running at somewhere between 4%-5% over the last year. So your conclusion is correct, overall house prices have fallen quite significantly in ‘real’ terms in the last 12 months.

Makes them more attainable for those stuck with the 4x LTI constraint. However the reduction in real prices is probably more than eaten up by increase cost of Finance for those with a mortgage.

• Advertisement

You stated AirBNB charges 3% fees of hosts as fact, a quick Google says from multiple sources its actually up to 14.2%, as I posted one link to show. This is not country dependent, its dependent on the policies the hosts implements for their property. As any research would have told you.

I'm not sure why you seem angry enough about this to post multi-paragraph rants of questionable veracity. Just take the 'L' and admit fault and move on - you're clearly just a little ignorant of the specifics of how AirBNB operates.

What you're really saying is the expected rise in house prices didn't happen, and therefore you're counting it as a saving.

Since inflation includes mortgage payments, the actual amount that mortgage holders will pay becomes more detached from the purchase price as inflation increases. So in real terms you're getting even less for your money.

If you're looking at house prices over 48 months, then house prices inflated by an average of 5% annually, while inflation was 3.8% annually.

So yes, perhaps you could argue that house prices are 7% cheaper this year compared to last, but you'd have to disregard that house prices have climbed dramatically over the past 5 years and that the average mortgage holder is paying more this year than they were last year.

I'm open to being corrected on any of this.

+1

I'm all for a massive expansion of social housing in general (the Viennese model) but this is an incredible policy that just reeks of desperation. If there are underutilized social housing units (ie a single person in a 3bed house/apartment) surely the logical thing to do would be to offer that tenant two options - either they move to a smaller unit, or else two other single people will be moved into their larger unit to share with them.

People across the country are paying large amounts of moeny to live in houseshares until their 40s now out of economic necessity, its not too much to expect it of social housing tenants getting massively subsidised housing.

Yeah, probably the fact that I am a cash buyer means I view it differently to most.

I haven't done the math but people trading up with a good bit of equity probably benefit too. Especially as people here have mentioned it's the upper end reducing the most.

People downsizing are probably worst off...? Anyone doing so want to share their experience?

Never mind willing social tenants, it should be mandated that they house share, for people without children at least.

And some people still think we have a centre right govt...unemployed folks profiteering on the back of private housing, rented by the council, the tenant doesnt pay their nominal contribution (even though its given to them by the council inthe first place) and they still get to keep the rent a room money!

I'd love to see Suella Braverman's reaction if that policy was proposed by a Tory.

Does anyone know what percentage of the population own their own home outright?

Mortgage paid off.

Surely those folks experience a different CPI, with no mortage or rent to pay.

I wouldn't see it as a saving at all.

As I mentioned previously, there's no explanation why Dublin prices dropped while the rest of the country continues to increase. Since there were less sales overall, it's easier to skew the results. I would imagine there are a few big falls in the €1million+ price range in Dublin, which have masked the many minor increases in the sub €1million range.

If you're in the former category then you're likely saving more than 1.9% compared to last year

If you're in the latter then you're not seeing savings at all.

Either way, you're still paying 20% more on the purchase price of an "average" house today than you were pre-pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ignorant of airbnb, I am not, as a host I can just go into my airbnb account and see what fees apply in Ireland.

You are wrong about those fees not being country dependent, in fact one of the links you posted specifically mentions how differing fees apply to different countries due to their rules related to short lets:

Quote:

• Italy, South Korea, China and Germany: Different policies apply for all stays in Italy and for South Korean guests staying at places with Strict cancellation policies. The flexible long-term policy is not available for stays in China. Additionally, if you are a Host in Germany, please make sure that your selected cancellation policy complies with the local requirements. Learn more about cancellations in Germany.

In relation to Ireland, here is what airbnb have on the fees section of the host's account:

Host fee

Most Hosts pay a 3% fee but some pay more, including:

• Hosts with listings in Italy
    • Hosts with Super Strict cancellation policies

This fee is calculated from the booking subtotal (nightly rate + cleaning fee + additional guest fee, if applicable – excluding Airbnb fees and taxes) and is automatically deducted from the Host payout.

Guests, however do may a higher service fee when booking, so perhaps in your rush to post/judge, you looked at all fees involved.

Guest fee

Most guest service fees are under 14.2% of the booking subtotal (nightly rate + cleaning fee + additional guest fee if applicable – excluding Airbnb fees and taxes). This fee varies based on a variety of factors and is shown during checkout before you book so that you know what to expect. For some stays over three months, the Airbnb guest service fee is reduced after the third month.

Or perhaps you were thinking of host-only fees charged to hospitality specific listings like hotels, serviced apartments etc, or in certain country dependent locations:

2. Host-only fee

With this structure, the entire fee is deducted from the Host payout. It’s typically 14–16% although Hosts with Super Strict cancellation policies may pay more and fees for monthly stays may be less. 

This fee is mandatory for traditional hospitality listings – such as hotels, serviced apartments, etc., as well as software-connected Hosts (unless most of their listings are in the USA, Canada, the Bahamas, Mexico, Argentina, Taiwan or Uruguay). 

So you are absolutely wrong to say it is not country dependent, and few if any listings that I have seen in Ireland have the "super strict cancellation policies" which I'm going to leave you to look up.

So your calculations, and assumptions comparing airbnb income to tenancies as they apply to Irish hosts are flawed, not just in your lack of understanding of how airbnb works in this country, but also in your 30 day term, which currently does not apply here, and which may never apply here. Even at 90 days, which would work out at most weekends of the year, at my average listing price, I would earn only slightly less than a tenancy.

Whether it is 3%, or even 14%, obviously hosts are willing to accept less income in order to not have tenants. Let's just leave it at that.

• Advertisement

"some pay more, including: Hosts with Super Strict cancellation policies"

"With this structure, the entire fee is deducted from the Host payout. It’s typically 14–16%"

You should probably have actually read that before posting it. It just confirms you were completely wrong 😂

No wonder you're afraid to return your property to the private sector rental market if you can't even understand the AirBNB fee structure. You should definitely stick with the less challenging option.

Advertisement