Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They can't attack a Hamas launching site and kill 100 Gazan civilians in the process. That's when they are straight into the area of illegality and war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, that's where the contradiction is in his post. If, as he says,Hamas were there, and made preparations to leave why would they leave behind anything incriminating? Will it be now that they were absent minded and forgot about these rifles? It kind of reminds me of an article I saw in the Daily Telegraph concerning where Saddam had his WMD hidden. It was very detailed- mapping everything. I have a sense of de ja vu about all this

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So Israel are still currently robbing land illegally in the West Bank and killing Palestinians.

And we are meant to be surprised and outraged when Hamas fight back??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

If Hamas had concentrated on attacking military and governmental targets they might have drawn attention to their cause in a valid way and even claimed moral upper hand over Israel. They should have learned from Ukraine what good PR means in war.

It was the sadistic, indiscriminate murder and terrorisation and torture of hundreds of innocent civilians - which they themselves filmed, otherwise I'm sure people like you would claim the Israelis were inventing it - that cancels any idea of them as heroic freedom fighters. They are scum, one notch away from ISIS.

This doesn't mean Netanyahu and his gang aren't also war criminals, because they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is the guy that was involved in the killing of the Swedish diplomat by the terrorist group Lehi. He went on to become Prime minister of Israel. Some of his supporters tried to paint the murder victim as an anti semite- despite him having saved Jewish people from the Nazis. Yitzhak never apologised, and some of the far right nationalists are glad he was killed.

These are the same type of people that are in government now in Israel. I see Gantz has called for Bibi to go. He probably wants to keep the war going as long as possible just so he can stay in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Live: EU's Borrell urges Israel not to be 'consumed by rage' (rte.ie)

UN experts point to evidence of 'genocidal incitement' against Palestinians

A group of United Nations experts said there was "evidence of increasing genocidal incitement" against the Palestinian people in what it said were "grave violations" committed by Israel.

"We are deeply disturbed by the failure of governments to heed our call and to achieve an immediate ceasefire," the group of experts, which included several UN special rapporteurs, said in a statement.

"We are also profoundly concerned about the support of certain governments for Israel's strategy of warfare against the besieged population of Gaza, and the failure of the international system to mobilise to prevent genocide."

UN experts had previously warned that the Palestinian people were at "grave risk of genocide".

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RTE

France calls West Bank Israeli settler violence 'policy of terror'

France has condemned violence by Israeli settlers in the West Bank, calling it a "policy of terror" aimed at displacing Palestinians and urging Israeli authorities to protect Palestinians from the violence.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

No? I think we're supposed to be outraged that Hamas deliberately chose to launch a terror assault with the explicit aim of murdering as many civilians as possible. There's a stark difference between that and fighting back.

If Hamas had solely struck military targets on October 7th, reaction to and perception of Hamas would have been quite different.

I mean no-one was surprised the IRA existed, and understood why even if they didn't support their actions, but if they walked into London or Manchester and murdered 1,000+ UK civilians in a terror attack, they would have lost all credibility and support and the hammer would have come down, hard.

I mean look at the Omagh Bombing, around 30 civilians killed, sparked an enormous international reaction and huge damage to the dissident cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is not clear. If the Gazan civilians have been placed in the danger zone by Hamas recklessly locating the launching site at a hospital or school, then it is Hamas who are committing the war crime.

You don't get a free pass to lob rockets at your enemies by putting your rocket launchers in school playgrounds and hospital car parks.

Israel was not an occupying force on October 7th, it had no troops on the ground. Various political declarations have been made that Israel is an occupying force, but they have no legal effect. If it was the case that Israel was an occupying force, Hamas would not have had the ability and the logistics to carry out the October 7th massacre.

The invasion of territory on October 7th was carried out by Hamas, giving Israel the right to self-defence, something that has been acknowledged by the Irish government, as well as the EU, US etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Your first paragraph is irrelevant. If Israel decides to attack a piece of weaponry knowing full well it will probably kill 100 Gazan civilians in the process, they are committing a war crime. They can't use the 'it's all the other guys fault' excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They’ve been bombing for weeks. Thousands of bombs. They tell us it’s to destroy tunnels etc. they tell us there’s an HQ under the hospital then nothing? Then they get away? Israel didn’t destroy tunnels leading out then after all? Incompetent at surrounding them or cutting off their escape?

Launch sites sure. Occupy Moscow and tell millions of people they have to move to China no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

The only reason that a small group of countries are saying Israel has the right to self defense is because it is an excuse for this to carry on. The only ones saying they have that right are the ones not calling for a ceasefire. Do you not get it yet ?

And the only people saying Israel has the right to self defense on here are those who do not want a ceasefire and want this to continue.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

It is not irrelevant, it is precisely the issue to be considered under international law. And Israel can use the "it's all the other guy's fault" excuse in international law. If Israel has previously warned civilians to move away (it has) and if Israel attacks when there are less numbers of civilians, then Israel is acting in accordance with international law, and it is Hamas who have committed a war crime against their own people by putting them in harm's way. Civilians die in wars, that is the terrible and horrific reality.

As I said already, you don't get a free pass to lob rockets at your enemies by putting your rocket launchers in school playgrounds and hospital car parks. If you do that, you are committing a war crime against your own people, as Hamas appear to have been doing.

Just imagine the horrific nature of the cynicism. You put your rocket launchers into school playgrounds and hospital car parks, and you endanger your own citizens. You are betting on one of two outcomes, the Israelis don't bomb your rocket launchers and you are free to keep killing Israeli civilians as Hamas have been doing continuously with their rocket launchers, or alternatively, the Israelis bomb your rocket launchers and your own civilians die, but you win the propaganda war through your patsies in the West like SF/PBP condemning Israel. Either way, your only target is civilians, 50% chance of them being your own. That is the nature of Hamas, no consideration for anyone, not even their own people.

What rocket launchers from the refugee camps? Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭I see sheep

How 'hard' would the hammer have come down?

Levelling all of West Belfast killing 15,000 people? Don't be ridiculous.

There was no chance of that happening.

(1) There are no tunnels

(2) There are no tunnels under hospitals and schools

(3) The sinkholes in the ground are not collapsed tunnels

(4) Israel is responsible for the tunnels

(5) Hamas are not using the tunnels

(6) Those old weapons don't show that Hamas was using the tunnels

(7) The Israeli videos are fake

What will you say when evidence emerges of the command and control centre?

• Advertisement

Address what I post, not what you imagine I post. Where did I mention refugee camps in my post?

Are you okay? You don’t seem able to explain how it’s plausible the IDF would let Hamas slip away and somehow they left rusted Ak47s behind and that proves a command and control center? 🤥 the whole place surrounded by tanks didn’t you suggest it HAD to be because of fighting? Where did they go?

Are you saying the video where the IDF admitted there was no connection they could find to the hospital was a fake? If there was no connection how did they escape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Of course. But even Putin does not want as many home civilian casualties as Hamas does. It would make Putin look weak but with Hamas, sacrificing Palestinian lives is all part of their plan just for some more anti-Semitic PR.

Putin is bad but Hamas are even worse. Putin does not hide in hospitals behind babies.

You said they only legally fire on rocket launchers. Where were the launchers in the tent camps? I’ll wait

Nonsense.

"A small group of countries"? The EU? It is a lie that people don't want an end to fighting.

From the EU statement on 12th November

"In line with the European Council conclusions of 26 October, the EU re-emphasizes Israel’s right to defend itself in line with international law and international humanitarian law."

"The EU joins calls for immediate pauses in hostilities and the establishment of humanitarian corridors, including through increased capacity at border crossings and through a dedicated maritime route, so that humanitarian aid can safely reach the population of Gaza."

"The EU reiterates its call on Hamas for the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages."

"The EU condemns the use of hospitals and civilians as human shields by Hamas."

That is the reasonable worldview, which I agree with. The hysterics on display elsewhere including by some of our own politicians who should know better are only for populist display.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2023/11/12/statement-by-the-high-representative-on-behalf-of-the-european-union-on-humanitarian-pauses-in-gaza/

The whole point of a tunnel network is that you can escape down it!!!! Which bit of that have you failed to understand.

However, if you capture the main nexus of the tunnel network, while Hamas can escape, they are forced above ground.

I didn't say that. I gave an example of a legitimate military target - a rocket launcher. I did not say anywhere that it was the only possible legitimate military target.

Why do you repeatedly make up stuff?

How can you escape down to it if they aren’t connected to the very place being accused of being used as a command and control center?

In your time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Where in my post did I say that would have happened? It's not a direct comparison and the overall conflicts cannot be directly compared as they don't have much in common despite the repeated claim.

I was simply replying to the person who said "we're supposed to be shocked and outraged" that Hamas fought back.

There's a clear difference between any insurgency fighting occupation forces, and a terrorist organisation that specifically seeks to kill as many civilians as possible. And there a clear difference in domestic/international perception to both.

Perception is important in conflict. Look at Ukraine. Israel is fast losing any trace of positive perception in a general sense, and Hamas has very little internationally after Oct 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Based on that logic then we would also need the extermination of the evil Benjamin Netanyahu who supported Hamas against the common enemy of the Palestinian authority. He supported this group as evident by his 2019 quote:

“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas … This is part of our strategy – to isolate the Palestinians in Gaza from the Palestinians in the West Bank.”

Looking at this from a frankly childlike "evil Hamas position" isn't helping either side in this conflict.

Yes Palestinians voted for Hamas but they did so from the open air prison that is Gaza. People who are treated like animals don't often choose the peaceful option.

Advertisement