Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Again, as I've said bums on seats are not important in this day and age. Football is a worldwide business these days and City are one of the ten most popular clubs in world football.

All these clubs had income north of €500 million in '22.

Success increases income and City are hugely successful.

Manchester United used to be the most popular but due to a lack of success they have fallen behind Barcelona and Real Madrid and their income has fallen behind too.

I'd predict City's income will increase to close to a billion in the next year due to their Champions league success. If they go ahead and win that trophy again soon along with the Premier league they will get close to if not surpass United and one of the two Spanish clubs in popularity.

Fact of the matter is they can now spend something like €300 million on transfers and be in line with fpp.

The more they win the more popular they will become.

Alex Ferguson was fully responsible for the huge growth in popularity of Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The point is not "bums on seats". The point is fan exposure. You can be fairly confident most club fandoms at that level break down into similar subcategories of spending/activity. Let's say 80+% will be passive action - social media engagement, or sports tv package subscription - while maybe only 2-5% having any intention to phsyically go to a match (these figures may be entirely inaccurate - but the point is the breakdowns will be similar). If your 2-5% (or whatever % of match-interested fans) is a significantly smaller number than other clubs, it's likely your 80% is too. For instance, Man Utd have double the number of twitter followers Man City do. So if they're not going to matches in the same numbers, and they're not engaging online in the same numbers... where are they?

Fan exposure - eyeballs - in all its forms is the chief driving factor towards increased sponsorships. More eyes on the team (in person or online) = more eyes on your product, for which you pay more money. Well, we can see that it appears there are not more eyes on the team and sponsors products, which is why people ask about the seemingly inflated deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd don't and won't have a problem putting bums on seats though.

Man City, even with their success on the pitch, are struggling to in some games. They go to big measures to try fill their stadium, such as offering half price tickets just to make it look less empty. Don't get me wrong, half price tickets are great, but I don't get the impression that they care about the fans pockets too much to be doing it for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

While I'd agree that bums on seats are not as important as they once were in terms of generating revenue, they are indicative of how popular a team actually is.

Take Liverpool for example, compared to City they have had modest successes over the last 5 years yet getting tickets is very difficult.

Likewise Arse and Spurs.

Football tourism is huge business so surely one of the alleged top 10 teams in the world should have zero issues getting day trippers in for games yet in many games there are swathes of empty seats.

If you look at it objectively, none of it adds up, none of it. In 15 years they went from a bottom to mid table level team to record breaking revenue generators, all supposedly by legitimate sponsorship deals.

If anyone believes that then I've got a rather nice bag of magic beaks they will be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I really don't think they'd go to all that bother for the sake of a million.

But if half of what the PL has charged is true, talking about a million or 2 kind of misses the point. The damage is long done at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

So,.. Man Citys revenue is almost the same as Real Madrids.

Real Madrid have an estimated global fan base of 400 million people.

Man City have an estimated fanbase of 5 million people.

It's all definitely above board...

City are third amongst Premier league clubs in social media fans. United and Chelsea are ahead of them.

United have 182 million, City have 113 million.

Since 2021 United social media followers grew by 10 million, same with Chelsea but City saw a 20 million increase and jumped above Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And how many of those social media fans are actual supporters of the club and not bots? You are hardly that naive are you?

Where are you getting those numbers from?

Can you provide a link?

How many of the Real Madrid, Barcelona and United ones are bots, you are not that naive are you?

• Advertisement

As a rough guide does that not look a bit odd though? Down in 3rd place with nearly 70 million fewer followers than the top club, lower matchday attendance - especially on the more fringe competitions usually the bread and butter of the day-trippers that normally signify broader appeal, and rank 5th in Premier League jersey sales this year so far (behind Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal)... and yet have by a distance the highest sponsorship figures?

Obviously with super rich owners they are going to have bigger sponsorship.

Deals can be done with companies where they pay exorbitant sponsorship and then get price reductions from Mansour in other business so they probably end up better off.

I never said everything is above board but there are ways around breaking Premier league rules like what I've just pointed out above.

There's just so much conspiracy theory stuff being spouted here it's ridiculous.

And the fact is that success breaths growth in support and anybody that can't accept that is fooling themselves.

It's highly like that over the next decade that City will become more popular than MUFC if United don't get it together and win major trophies.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Company will still pick man utd, iml at the moment because they're in more papers, get more clicks, feature in every single.inane phone in radio show, whether they're good or bad, they're talked about. City win the treble and there's a bit of a shrug .

City are trying to buy the brand level awareness that maybe one the a handful of clubs have ever had, and they're going about it in questionable ways with numerous shell companies along for the ride

Friends were able to stroll up to the tihad and get tickets for the spurs game last season.

I think most of this is all people are saying though... the owners money and inflated deals push them unnaturally up to a position where eventually with enough spending over time it starts to sustain itself, but that the whole thing is built backwards... the fan increase comes after the sponsorship money, rather than being the cause of the sponsorship money (as it logically should work).

Wasn't Man City's twitter account (pre-Elon times) suspended a couple years ago, with the suspected reason being that a large number of their 'fans' were bots.

You don't seem to understand that slmost all the talk about City is winning titles, great players etc.

Almost all the talk about United is negative, not winning, bad managers, bad players etc

One clubs fan base grows the bothered dwindles. Guess which is growing?

It was not just Ferguson. They had been a historically big club anyway, biggest stadium too.

City are estimated to be the 5th or 6th most popular based on viewing figures, attendance, social media engagement and a load of other metrics on fan engagement. And at the only just ahead of spurs and we'll behind man utd, Chelsea and Liverpool.

So yes, it's more than bums on seats, but even beyond that, the revenue they've been generating for the last decade seems largely fictitious and the fact that they have A petrostate throwing money at them from all angles is a bit more realistic

I don't know, I don't engage on any of those sites.

Even it that was the case that's a couple of years ago. City are growing all the time through winning things.

But man utds fanbase is still widely reported as being way ahead though, and not in particular decline.

And you've moved the goalposts now. Sponsors for the most part don't care. If their name is seen in print and media then that's a win. Some do, but most don't

• Advertisement

If City win every league title and champions league over the next 10 years,utd will still be a bigger club than City and will have a bigger fan base worldwide. And no distorted figures will change that

Using my 6 year old in senior infants as a barometer. There are currently approx 15 boys in his class.

5 are United "fans".

5 or 6 are Liverpool "fans".

1 is a Villa fan.

A couple are Arsenal fans.

None of them are city fans.

I'm also involved in underage coaching with my local gaa team. When we are coaching there are the guts of 100 kids there ranging from 4 to 8 years old on any given evening. Not once have I seen a city jersey, not once. There are United, Liverpool, Arse, Chelsea, Villa, Spurs, Madrid, Barca, PSG and others but again, not a single kid in a city jersey.

Of course this is just anecdotal but it's the kids that drive jersey and merch sales in the main and from what I've seen, city aren't even a drop in the ocean, despite multiple trophy wins and Sky driven saturation of city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

The question John Henry asked after the first Etihad deal is still relevant: what was the underbid?

There is no metric that exists that points to City being that valuable. For all of their on pitch success, there are clubs with more supporters, more engagement, more eyeballs for sponsors, which is really what it comes down to.

I mean, if City were sold tonight, would Etihad Airways still value City so highly? Not a chance.

City would be up shít creek if Abu Dhabi sold them because without being propped up they wouldn’t have a hope of maintaining the sums of money they’re spending now.

You see you live in Ireland where it's a tribal thing and parents tell kids who to support. This isn't the case in Asia or the USA or any other part of the world.

It's a global sport now, what happens in Ireland and to a lesser extent England isn't really that important.

Well I mightn't be around in 10 years time but you simply don't understand how huge winning is to growing or even maintaining a fan base.

It's very simple, if United don't get their act together their fan base will dwindle while City will grow with success.

I expect you'll see that they've closed the gap on United by 20 million or more on social media. That's simply down to the Champions league win.

Speaking from the US (primarily in Los Angeles but also spend a lot of time in New York) I can't saw I'm seeing any City jerseys over here either tbh... (once again, anecdotally of course, but it's just not something i'm seeing)

<edit>

did a bit of a google to see if i could find club interest via jersey sales - this is kind of interesting. It's not the proper breakdown i was looking for, but shows the top seller per state. Man City's shirt is only the top seller in 1 state, New Jersey.

Well I spend a few weeks over there every year and I've seen plenty of them. On the East coast.

The joys of anecdotal evidence I guess... i'd be involved in football groups in both areas though, and yeah, to me they've not caught on yet (edited the above comment with a breakdown graphic of top seller by state - and they do have an impact in New Jersey it seems).

It makes sense they might have a bit more of a grasp in and around the New York City FC fans though (sharing owners, with loan player-crossover and all that jazz - the NYCFC shirt is even modeled after the Man City one, complete with 'Etihad' sponsorship). But I wouldn't be convinced they're breaking into the market over here in any more meaningful way. I've lived over here for 13 years now, and have seen little shifts, but it's primarily always been Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal I see at pick up games/matches/events.

The Spurs interest in that graphic is pretty interesting though - not something i've seen much here! Though it's a big seller in parts of the country i've not been to, so I guess that tallies.

I do think it's only a matter of time alright though, as we've seen with Chelsea's increased global reach since Roman took over 20 years ago.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

The replies in this tweet are funny. There is a 1000% increase in shirts sales in Dubai yet anecdotal evidence is that there is more people seen in utd shirts over there. Something doesn't add up anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Having lived in Sydney for 10, moved back last summer so maybe its changed since the champions league final win, but City are still pretty much a non entity among kids over there. And the EPL is bar far the biggest supported league in Oz...I had my kids in football camps and weekend tournaments where they could be a 100+ kids involved and if there was 2 City jerseys on show, it would be a surprise. It pretty much follows as it does here 75% between Liverpool & UTD, then Arsenal, always a few random and Chelsea and Spurs kits. Of course outside of EPL teams, there was always be Barca and Real jersey knocking around, but that's about it. People claiming that City have as many fans buying their kits as there would be Barca, Real, Liverpool or UTD are not living in the real world...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Are you guys telling me that there's no kids that love Haaland? Do you not think he's one of the most popular footballers on the planet?

Second biggest soccer jersey sales in the world after Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was going to say there are probably warehouses full of City jerseys in the desert somewhere, bought by the club owners to bump the sales figures up. But I guess they don't actually have to take the physical jersey do they, just buy a bill of sale and report that instead.

Maybe City jerseys are the new national uniform of North Korea and those sales are skewing the figures?

Maybe there isn't a lot to like about the club he plays for. There was a very muted, meh reaction when they won the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I live in the Netherlands. I have ever seen a Haaland jersey. I see loads of United, Liverpool, psg, Chelsea and barca Jerseys.

There are obviously kids that love Haaland. I just don't see them around.

Here is an article from a year ago about Haaland's popularity in Asia. I'd imagine it's got a lot bigger since then.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/20/manchester-city-catching-united-in-asia-thanks-to-erling-haaland-effect

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

It pained me to do it as a United fan, but I'm just after buying Haaland Man City jerseys for my niece and nephew for Christmas. Both under 10 and both support City. And they arent the only ones in their classes. From what they say, United and Liverpool are still the most supported clubs in their school, but there seems to be a good few City fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

What's with all this talk about shirt sales and popularity in Asia????

This is what city fans used to hate about their cross city rivals.

From what I can see now is they're embracing all these supposed commercial milestones and gloating about them, to show how big they are. How times have changed 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not really. You are underestimating the literal legacy effect. Thats why you have currently unsuccessful teams like LA Lakers, Yamaha, Ferrari or Manchester United remaining more popular and in fact still increasing in popularity than modern successful teams like GSW, Honda, Red Bull/Mercedes or Man City.

Nowadays that line of "success = popularity" generally isn't as powerful as it may once have been. TV kinda killed that strategy/pattern off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

More talk of their finances than their treble.

Probably the better comparison is Chelsea, very successful for 20 years now yet still way behind Liverpool and United. Success will only get you so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

The whole thing is completely soulless. Them winning the CL was an inevitability because of their relentless spending since Abu Dhabi took over.m, so when it finally happened there was a collective shrug of the shoulders.

They’re like those Middle Eastern 7 star hotels - they expect the public to be impressed at how expensive something is rather than how new or innovative it is.

Where are you talking about?

Ferrari is completely different because people love their sports cars. Nothing to do with formula 1 but the support carries over to F1.

Here's one for you. The biggest selling jersey in NBA last year and this year is Steph Curry's. LBJ is next.

I don't know anything about Yamaha. I'd imagine Ducati is the most popular selling motorcycle? Anyone I know that is into fast bikes talks about them and another brand I can't remember, some newer brand. Anyone I know who likes classic bikes talks about the Harley and the Honda Gold wing is often mentioned. I never hear any of them talking about Yamaha.

United, Real Madrid and Barcelona were the most popular. Now it's Barcelona, Real Madrid and then United.

United's support worldwide is dwindling due to the lack of success.

Younger people want to support winners. City are winners in the most popular league in the world, they are going to grow and grow as long as they keep winning.

City also have the most popular footballer playing in Europe. That's attracting lots of new fans to the club as well.

Mbappe has the 'foreign' appeal in that kids that support a Man Utd etc can easily get away with wearing a PSG kit. Hell, I even have a PSG training top somewhere as their Air Jordan range is nice. They were the PSG kit as it is different and can happily sport the Mbappe name. No supporter of an English team is going to wear a rivals kit with Haaland on the back, and that is across the globe.

Likewise, at least Ronaldo can shift his Saudi club's teams shirts as he had built up an image over time, like Beckham did before LA Galaxy and suddenly their kits were in every Irish shop. Haaland hadn't built up a reputation at Dortmund with selling kits.

Salah is the biggest Arab player in the world, let alone the fact that his name is across Liverpool kits, who have generally been a top 5 or top 10 seller across club sides.

So you're saying Haaland jumped ahead of the likes of Ronaldo, Mbappe, Salah etc in terms of jersey sales during/after one season at Man City. Because he wasn't getting near those other players at Dortmund. And for the treble to actually have an affect on sales numbers, you'd be waiting until next year for a true reflective.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I think you might need to have a read of that article.....

Over 200 Ranker voters have come together to rank this list of The Best Selling Jerseys of 2023

😂

Oh the pure innocence of it all. Wait until he hears about the guy who turns water into wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jesus H Christ.....

The next game can't come fvckin quick enough!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement