Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

The engine type is irrelevant as regards the other societal issues

I'm tight on time today so can't go digging but there was something out of the US recently on SUV/pickups and pedestrian outcomes in collisions. I'll grab it tomorrow

As for HVO, honestly haven't a clue. I know the likes of An Post and Galway City Council have gotten a few larger vehicles that use it but that's about all. I personally don't see it as being a major player in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I gave you the stats from Ember, I showed you the study from The Natural Resource Defence Council, I showed you the article from The Guardian that backed up its claim with link to studies from Sweden, Finland, France, Denmark and Australia where each found that burning wood was not carbon neutral. None of these studies were from anti greens. They were all from green advocacy groups or think tanks. If you wish to ignore what they had to say on wood burning by attempting to shoot the messengar then that is up tp you.

The facts are simple, If you are burning wood in whatever form, be it in a wood pellet stove or in a power plant, then you are emiting CO2 and there is no such thing as being a little bit pregnant.

I really do not care what you burn to provide heat. In fact to me it make perfect sense. Even more so than economic reasons to do so rather than being totally dependent on electricity for everything. At least during power cuts or outages you will have heat. Something that for the elderly is even more important.

I was not pointing the finger at you saying I believed you were wrong to burn wood. More at some here who tell us the only energy we should be using is that provided by carbon neutral renewables, but then are happy to burn wood themselves. Even encouraging others to do the same. To me, other than finding it a bit amusing, I found it self contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

What does it have to do with climate change?

The mask finally slipped, your green religion has little to do with solving climate change and when one scratches under the surface it’s yet another far left / right nonsense ideology whose main aims of degrowth would make the most authoritarian dictators blush

Yet here we are again after the last two COP beanfeasts back on the merry-go-round throwing more billions in the same direction this time on climate change and somehow expecting a different outcome.

Albert Einstein had an opinion on that. Short version. Insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If size is your logic, surely a pedestrian being hit by a bus is far worse than an SUV so why not ban them too? Plus, not all SUVs are particularly large.

Given the generally superior visibility from an SUV, you'd imagine there'd be fewer collisions too, than with a low sitting saloon or a bulky bus.

Plus, a lot of road deaths appear to be vehicle passengers rather than pedestrians. What gives a pedestrian's safety the priority over the safety of a passenger's general safety for other accident types (eg vehicle to vehicle or vehicle to object collision). Surely this class of frame hasn't just developed because it looks pretty and consumers are buying based on practical advantages such as their own safety in an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Nobody said burning wood doesn't emit CO2, I said it will emit less than a solid fuel stove and it's a better way to heat a space. You went off on some tangent which had zero relevance to the topic.

As I am sure I posted here I am environmentally aware but I don't believe all the noise coming from all different parties across Ireland and the World in terms of the proclaimed doom we are about to be hit with. The bit I was pulling you up about before was the obsession with the Green Party because in reality all of the political parties are at the same, you lose the value in your point by wedging in some comment abotu the Green Party.

No heating at the moment is carbon neutral that Im aware of, not in Ireland anyway. Some are better for environment and they should be considered.

Not sure what that means, I made a comment on the video which is the usual noise to get a few clicks with nothing behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the only thing the government is worried about is loss of revenue so smart meters will tax you when you charge your car, kerb weight will be taxed as ev is heavier.

it's all about revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sound. Thanks. I hope we're not setting policy or taxation based on US road accident statistics. SUVs in Ireland are not equal to the monstrosities over there.

There's a lot of haulage companies on HVO. And some agri users. I seen a video of a lad in the UK drove a combine from John o' Groats to Land's End in the summer to raise money for charity. Certa sponsored the fuel and it was all HVO. Seems like a no brainer to be promoting that, especially if it's a drop in replacement for diesel. Instant emission reduction* and no major cost. Carbon tax should be cheaper too on it I'd guess

* assuming the input to make the HVO isn't palm oil or other such stuff shipped across the world

I seen this before, the chance of you dying if hit by a SUV are a lot higher than if you are hit by a car. America has gone the SUV/Crossover route long before Europe which is following fast now and soon the average car wil die out. Like the Yaris is not in Crossover format

HVO is been used in trucks mostly, you will see it stamped on the side of it. It is getting some tests in the UK for home heating but Ireland lagging behind. In Cork they have it up and running and I checked with my boiler company and my boiler will support HVO but nobody in area that converts it. You need to change the pipe coming to boiler etc. Plus when asking the supply companies they don't supply households and only companies.

You jumped in on behalf of a poster I was having a discussion with on wood pellets who has been on here time after time telling us that carbon neutral renewable energy was the only energy source we should be using who posted he/she was using a wood pellet burner for heat. I was pointing out that wood pellets are not carbon neutral, a fact that you at least have now accept.

I don`t have any particular obsession with the Green Party or there supporter here other than I find much of what they are favoring hypocritical as well as dangerous for the economic well-being of the country. I also find both very much biased against anything rural. If that offends your or anyone elses sensibilites then so be it.

I would have thought it was clear enough.

You commented that throwing billions to the 3rd world has not done a lot in regards to alleviating the problem with food. My comment was that especially after the last few COP beanfeasts we are now on the merry-go-round doing the same for climate change, and that doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result was the definition of insanity. But perhaps you expect the result to be different this time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

To truly understand kW vs. kWh, you also need to consider time. A kWh measures the energy an electrical device or load uses in kilowatts per hour. This in conjunction with the power delivered.For your information...

I just wanted the 'per hour' in there as it is important..

Again the h in kWh refers to hour. It is important because unlike say a ton of coal, a watt is simply a unit of energy just like a joule.

You're seriously confused here.

• "Kilowatts per hour" is meaningless. If it meant anything it would mean "kilowatts divided by hours".
    • A kWh is a kilowatt-hour, i.e. kilowatt multiplied by hour.
    • A watt is not a unit of energy. It's a unit of power. Power is energy divided by time.
    • A joule is a unit of energy. A watt (unit of power) is one joule per second (i.e. energy divided by time).
    • If power is energy divided by time, then power multiplied by time is energy. That's why the kWh is a unit of energy.

The constant references to the Green party would suggest you have a huge issue with the party, you rpoint would be a lot better made without the constant references to them is my point which still stands.

I jumped in to provide my own personal experience.

I also asked you to provide the study you reference as I was interested because I have a wood pellet stove and I couldn't find it. This as it turns out doesn't exist.

Trying to fix the issue in the 3rd World with food has been going on how long? In reality the Irish government along with others have done the bare minimum in terms of reducing CO2, pushing public transport etc

Not really a comparison is it? plus Ireland as a country provides millions every year to charities to help in the 3rd World. So it's not like we are not trying to help

The speaker is a lecturer at UCD's Smurfit School of Business, and teaches finance at the Irish Management Institute and Chartered Accountants Ireland. Unless you think the video is an AI deep-fake, the whinge about the source is just an excuse not to engage.

Like it or lump it we need to get better at looking after the environment. Ignoring it seems to be his advice, hunger in the 3rd World we can fix? no we can't becaues if we could the billions upon billions sent to them over the last years would have fixed it.

Uh, it did fix it. It lifted a billion people out of extreme poverty between 1990 and 2010, five years ahead of schedule. There's still a lot more to do. What does littering the Irish landscape with windmills and solar panels contribute to it?

It's true there has always been inefficiency and corruption in the dissemination of development aid. But you ain't seen nuthin' yet once Eamon Ryan gets his way. First we tax the bejesus out of the citizenry to pay for vastly less efficient forms of energy. Then we tax the bejesus out of them some more to pay reparations for our sins against the environment to other countries.

Then the reparations money is tied to sustainability goals for those countries too, so that they get screwed like us with inefficient energy production. Meanwhile the opportunites for corruption in this madcap reparations scheme will be immense. The whole thing is shaping up to be an economic disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Bad idea to install wood pellet burner, there is no reliable source in Ireland for pellets, they need to be imported, and are usually sourced from companies using dubious methods to manufacture them, they cause more pollution than coal.

Wood pellet stoves are being removed from homes every week in Ireland.You need to rethink your heating system unless you are going to tell us that you have your own private woods and can manufacture pellets.😂

https://e360.yale.edu/features/wood_pellets_green_energy_or_new_source_of_co2_emissions

Gript like a lot of dodgy media sources will cut and edit videos to suit their own narrative. The video is a snippet I expect of a longer interview and has very little substance to it.

In terms of World hunger as I pointed out Ireland provides a significant amount of money every year towards this already. We need to make sure we invest in Ireland as well. This includes trying to get a as close to self reliant power system and public transport system to meet the requirements of a growing population.

In terms of the question what does windmills and solar panels provide, I guess you already know the answer to this.

The wood pellet system to heat homes are been removed. Mostly because you need a garage sized environment to house the hopper and then if the pellet get damp they are a mess. Plus the majority of companies have moved to A2W etc and you can't get maintenance on them. A lot got installed circa 20 years ago around the time of A2W so they are due to be replaced and trying to find anyone to replace that isn't A2W is a nightmare. \

My brother was building a house circa 20 years ago when Wood Pellets and A2W etc was just coming on market. He was undecided but in the end trying to store the hopper meant he went A2W. His A2W was replaced last year as it was end of it's lifecycle so that's why you would see similar around now with the wood pellet heating systems and in most situations would be changed to A2W. Not even sure what the grant is like on a Wood pellet heating system anymore,.

The room heaters have a huge market with my own coming from Stanley and excellent support from them with service etc available.

Just one example below of an Irish company which provides pellets. Plenty of others around as well. Balcas is one of the big supplier who are based in North and I have bought from them a number of times.

• Advertisement

Gript like a lot of dodgy media sources will cut and edit videos to suit their own narrative. The video is a snippet I expect of a longer interview and has very little substance to it.

You could, of course, spend five seconds Googling to see if Lucey's "politics of narcissism" comments in the video match his actual views expressed elsewhere. You would find this on his own blog from last Sunday, also published in the Sunday Times:

We need to make sure we invest in Ireland as well. This includes trying to get a as close to self reliant power system and public transport system to meet the requirements of a growing population.

Only people in thrall to the Green cult could possibly believe that Eamon Ryan's barmy "Energy Security Report" is about energy security. It is an ideologically preconditioned response that is going to screw the country.

In terms of the question what does windmills and solar panels provide, I guess you already know the answer to this.

I sure do, but I doubt it's the same answer as yours.

Quick read of it makes me even less impressed. Apart from spending a lot of time getting references together, which of course they love in uni, the whole point of the blog is to have a pop at Eamonn Ryan. I guess Ryan didn't hire him as an advisor reading between the lines.

Also not a single answer to have to solve the problem, just some noise, a few digs at people and I guess a share holder in the now infamous Barryroe company.

You do realise dont you`what that the title of this thread is ?

I have told you how I view the Green Party and their supporters on issues I find hypocritical and dangerous to the economic with both imo having a major bias when it comes to anything rural.I have also post here on how I see the E.U. on green issues. All very much in keeping with the title of this thread as far as I`m concerned. If you or other here have a problem with that I could not care less if I tried.

I still have no idea what you are saying when it comes to the 3rd world. From an earlier comment you appear to believe that the billions sent there for variou programmes food related were a waste, but now it would appear that you believe sending further billions for climate change programmes would have a different outcome but no matter.

On the subject though I think @ps200306 made some very good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

From the independent.ie article linked:

With the population growing and economy expanding, the reductions in fossil fuel use and associated emissions achieved in these areas will not make up for the increases driven by higher energy demand.

[...]

“Increased spending must be matched with stronger regulation, requiring the heaviest emitters to reduce emissions, or to scale back operations until such time as they can comply. We need to consider increased carbon taxes on high-polluting luxury items like SUVs. Could we consider some limits on air travel until decarbonisation actions take effect?”

The most green-leaning people I know are all for expanding the population well beyond natural increases by encouraging inward migration - which in turn increases energy demand. I suspect that point will be skipped over by alot of the green-leaning people on here too.

Of the second passage, only one of those two things will happen - it won't be the limits on air travel. Alot of the most green-leaning people you find adore their multiple short-stay city breaks all across Europe. A trip around social media accounts will verify this for you time and time again. I guess the plebs will have to endure further carbon taxes, while nothing else will change.

"Green" policies is not the Green Party. Every political party has green policies. In all probability the Green party will not be part of the next government and the current strategy won't change. You do realise this?

The other poster has made no points, just pointed to someone else's and seems to think everyone should accept them because the guy works in UCD.

In all probability the Green party will not be part of the next government and the current strategy won't change. You do realise this?

This is what a lot are pinning their hopes on, a major reversal. Won't happen, even SF finally came out saying we need to reduce emissions ASAP and have to move faster.

Took them long enough, but it was straight from the horses mouth, MLD, at the recent Aes Fheis in Athlone

Something else that is missed by those hoping for a SF reversal, the party, 100% of their TD's, voted for all climate legislation that has been proposed.

Besides, the courts would block anything that would be regressive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Nail on the head, carbon taxes are a brilliant swizz allowing increases in taxation on the back of saving rhe planet. I mean you'd have to be morally bankrupt not to support them and to clearly demonstrate your green credentials actively cheer lead for further extortionate increases

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Besides, the courts would block anything that would be regressive

I find this statement bemusing. The courts are there to implement the law of the land. The legislators (voted in by the public) are the ones who write the law, the courts have to follow suit when ruling.

Unless you are hoping some sort of international/UN climate court is established and headed up by Greta. You probably loved last night's fantasy sci-fi on RTE 1 with Mark Little last night, right? Link: Ireland 2050: Tomorrow Tonight - RTÉ Player (rte.ie) 😂

The Irish Green party are not short on policies that I believe have been hypocratical, dangerous for the economy and biased against rural communities and are a government tail of a dog party polling within the margin of error at half the level they recieved in the last GE. So it certainly does not look as if there is any great support for their policies.

They have used their tail of the dog position to push those policies, even going as far as to threaten to collapse the government if they didn`t get their way. Will any of that change if the Greens are not part of the next government, who knows, but I would see much more liklihood of it without them being there.

@ps200306 points I refered to were in relation to money to the 3rd world

• Advertisement

SF probably srill have quite a few warriors in their ranks, but I cannot see many of them being green warriors.

SF have shown they are masters at jumping on and off hobby horses and they are the greatest threat to some of those Green T.D. who they believe are only there because SF did run enough candidates last GE. If SF do make it into government they have made a lot of very expensive promises that will come a long way ahead of green spend. With the economy expected to tighten, even further ahead.

As to the courts, @InAtFullBack has pointed out the flaw in that thinking. Same as many others have done in the past.

Advertisement