Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where the Americans have been producing and flying new design Stealth aircraft since the 70s each one individual and unique to the next the Russians went with lets cheat a little and took an su27 fighter and modified it's airframe and and pancaked fuselage and blended it's wings into a single shape and decided it was a 5th generation stealth fighter, with the radar cross section 1000 times larger the the F35 , meanwhile the US are flying the 3rd generation stealth bomber and at least 2 other unidentified new stealth aircraft,

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How Putin wasted €100's of thousands on individual western journalists for propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seems Finland has closed the border with Russia.

Putin couldn't help himself. The Kremlin were flying in refugees from Africa and Middle East and sending them towards the border on bicycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think that might be. Add this the fact that (if accurate) the Russian death-rate has been consistently hovering around the 1000 per day mark for quite a while.

I hate to imagine the grim human-wave tactics being used to create such totals. There must be a tipping-point eventually for the Russians where this simply won't work anymore. Even on a good day I can't see how they can create 1000+ mobniks a day, deliver them to the killing fields and keep that rate up forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The losses of equipment and men must be very apparent to Russian troops on the ground. Word would get around and infiltrate all ranks which has to be having effect on morale. Maybe they are told that the Ukrainian forces are taking even greater losses? We don't hear a lot about mutiny and soldiers abandoning their units/ surrendering etc but this must be an ongoing factor for the Russians. Maybe this is why they conduct their operations as they do, with less room for individuals adapting on the ground, they can't trust their own. If so, puts a high price on the Russian officer class, take them out and their forces are a rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Kulyk was the prosecutor the EU went after. Well, just charged with treason and being Putins guy. Oh, linked to Trump's lawyer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We've been hearing for quite some time that there aren't many experienced officers left in the Russian armed forces. It would certainly explain the extraordinary casualty rates they've been experiencing of late. Seems their only real input at this stage is to shoot their own troops who try to retreat / refuse to advance.

I sense that even at the early stages of the war, the Russian Army was chronically short of experienced soldiers, with most of the half-decent fighters long since departed to make better money as part of Wagner or other PMCs. I remember especially seeing stories of surprisingly senior army brass getting KIA near the frontlines. It appeared that the generals were so short of any command staff that they had to travel to the frontline to manage the fighting personally, thus earning many of them an AFU bullet to the head for their trouble.

I can't imagine it got any better over time. Now their more experienced soldiers are simply those who haven't died yet, and are likely keeping themselves that way by safeguarding a position as rear-guard executors. They can shovel mobniks into the meat-grinder and hold position at a safe distance while shooting anyone who retreats back. I suspect that Russia's war so far has done little to create actual leaders or professional soliders. Wagner was possibly their best shot of a coherant fighting force, but they've gone a pissed that away.

Yet again, time is not on the Russian's side. As time progresses, their army becomes more & more reduced to untrained mobniks and unthinking slave-drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

While watching video footage of recent strikes on Russian forces, I found myself asking "... but why would they do this/react like that? Are they not trained to ... ? " and then I remembered that no, they're not trained because (a) there wasn't any time for training after mobilisation; and (b) the soldiers with real-world experience were killed a long time ago.

I would imagine that word doesn't get around, as the groups with the worst losses are comprehensively wiped out, and it appears that a good number of those who survive are off their heads on drink and drugs, so would anyone pay heed to them - if they can even remember what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

We'd like to think that but people were saying the same thing this time last year and there seems to be just an endless supply of men they can call on to die for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭thomil

The thing is that the qualities that you need in a good combat officer, initiative, flexibility, a good grasp of logistics and basic leadership skills, are generally seen as undesirable in a strictly autocratic system. Even worse, they're seen as dangerous. If a lieutenant in charge of an infantry company moves his unit out of position to exploit a weakness in the flanks of an enemy position, instead of sticking to the plan and executing a frontal assault, how can you be sure that that same officer will stay loyal and in his place? While even western militaries tend to prefer the "parade ground officers" over the "rat catchers" during peace time, just look at the US Strategic Air Command in the 1970s, the Royal Navy prior to WW1, or the Bundeswehr prior to its deployments to Kosovo and Afghanistan for examples, from what I can gather, command courses at least try to instill independent thinking and initiative in officers and NCOs.

That never happened in Russia. The Russian military has never placed a lot of emphasis on NCOs, going back to tsarist times, and especially during the Putin years, looking menacing in the annual victory day parade on Red Square was seen as vastly more important than being able to outflank an enemy on a battlefield. And if we're honest, while the Chechen wars were absolutely brutal, there was not a lot of strategic or tactical finesse that was required in those fights. So Russia's officer & NCO corps was already at a major disadvantage at the start of the conflict, and things have only gotten worse since.

What's worse is that Russia HAD great officers in the past. While Russia's efforts in WW2 are often portrayed in public as pure human wave attacks, Zhukov, Bagramyan, Timoshenko and other Red Army officers did actually show quite a bit of creative thinking in their offensives, and all were acutely aware of the massive logistics pipeline they needed to keep their fronts moving. All of this institutional knowledge seems to have been completely lost.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

There seems to be an endless supply of Russians for this fight, but that is just a perception. This is a zero-sum game, there is a finite number of men Russia has access to, and an even more finite number of materiel they can be armed with. They will run out of an element that will prevent them from being able to fight, it is simply a matter of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The simple question, insofar as one can call military doctrine & logistics "simple", is where is the cut-off point exists, when Russia's war in Ukraine starts to eat into its baseline, minimal viable capacity to defend itself and its borders, or just continue to have a degree of clout on the geopolitical stage. Sure, they still have their nukes of course (assuming those aren't another myth of Russian power), but that'd take some desperation to wield those in anger, despite the recent posturing.

Cos no doubt, their stockpiles must be big enough - even if they're digging into old WW2 equipment - but I also reckon they must be the country with the most KMs of border proportionate to the size of their population; they can't possibly start emptying out garrisons in Chechnya, or along the Chinese borders, just to keep an attritional war they're not winning to any quantifiable degree, afloat and active. At some point surely there's a point where Russia's basic militarily competence starts to be questioned. Otherwise they'll have to rename the concept from the Pyrrhic Victory to the Putin Victory.

Are there any border regions out West China has a claim on? Cos if Russia's ability to wage war becomes any more suffocated, the Chinese might start eyeing up those regions and pull their own Crimea manoeuvre.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

“Seem”

A lot of stuff in Russia is not what it “seems” or what they claim

Three day war is soon going into third year because of “seem”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is this line of thinking not making the mistake of assuming Putin's interests align with those of Russia itself? I've seen a lot of analysts positing that the only reason Russia hasn't retreated back to their own borders is because Putin would be signing his own death warrant if he gave the order?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps, but even then: is Putin so anxious about retreat that he'd prosecute this war to the extent it erodes his control elsewhere? Not saying China's suddenly eyeing up Vladivostok or whatnot (as far as I can see ethnic Chinese are quite the minority there), but surely there's a cut-off point where Putin runs out of road by dint of having nothing left to surround himself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And this surely is their Achilles Heel. By contrast Ukrainian units have received training from other western armies, have fewer personnel and officers have to box clever. They may not be making rapid progress but once they keep applying pressure, stressing the Russian defences, reducing their personnel, taking out officers - this is smart tactics and will promote collapse.

I dunno - one thing the Russian state and media manipulating and controlling the narrative on the home front. But at the sharp end, soldiers even Russian mobilised conscripts want to live and would be sharing information between themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

One thing about the “Russia has endless manpower” narrative that those making these claims miss is that Russia is the most sanctioned country which needs people to you know run the country as paying for imports is not much of an option as that only pushes their currency down, and of course migrants are not exactly queuing up to get into Russia either anymore as it means being drafted

Ukraine on other hand gets plenty of external aid, getting closer to eu membership which could happen even if parts are occupied and also uses women in military

that’s before we get to the 5 million cluster munitions stockpile which has potential eradicate every male in Russia seeing how effectively those are being used in creating mince

• Advertisement

The same is true of Ukraine. Both sides have limited amounts of men and weapons

Yes, three day war idea was a farce, but the numerous posters on this thread (all of whom since disappeared or threadbanned) who last winter were confidently predicting Crimea back in Ukrainian hands by end of 2023 also proved to be wildly off the mark.

The simple fact is, the miserable war is about to enter year 3 because neither side is able to deliver a decisive blow to the other and nobody can predict which way it will go in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"The simple fact is, the miserable war is about to enter year 3 because neither side is able to deliver a decisive blow to the other and nobody can predict which way it will go in 2024."

Not looking to make any predictions but I am not convinced that neither side is able to deliver a decisive blow. Whatever the truth is about counteroffensive targets for the armed forces of Ukraine it is clear that they are making striking progress in destroying putin's military. In the 24 hours before yesterdays high number of infantry eliminated there was a figure of 58 pieces of putin's artillery eliminated which was higher than average and I suspect was linked with increased offensive actions by putin's forces that without artillery support led to even higher infantry losses. Not sure which tactics Ukraine is using most to destroy the artillery systems of putin's troops in Ukraine but I have seen many comments on how putin's troops depend on heavy use of artillery to prepare the way for offensive actions.

The figure of 58 artillery systems eliminated in one day indicates to me that Ukriane may have developed methods of striking a decisive blow to putin's forces by eliminating their ability to use artillery in Ukraine. Without artillery support putin's troops are likely to be much more limited in what they can achieve and if F16s become active for Ukraine as seems to be close, the support his forces might get from their air force will be even more limited. I think Ukraine is in the process of delivering a decisive blow in the conflict by destroying the capacity putin's troops have to fight effectively. The economic power of the military supporters of Ukraine is also much greater than the countries providing military support to putin and the capacity of the russian federation itself so even if it takes a few years I can't see how he hopes to get anything positive from the war he started in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Maybe that it. Germany were still launching massive offensives in March 1918 that looked to end the war in their favour.

The offensive failed and the German army simply fell over exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Has anybody noticed the serious lack of russian helicopters attacking the front line the last week?

Those cluster ATACMS having a major impact on the battlefield. I'm sure Russia will come up with a new plan to get the heli's they've left involved again but it won't be as effective as before.

That's a positive interpretation and if all those figures are true (if the source is Ukrainian military I do take them with a pinch of salt, though they're probably not wildly off the mark) then there is reason to hope that something decisive may yet come. Fingers crossed. But so much for both countries depends on the support they get from outside, and that all looks very uncertain with the year ahead.

I absolutely have faith in Ukraine successfully defending most of the country from the Russians. But I will be amazed if they restore even pre 2022 borders within the next year or two/while Putin is alive, because if Russia loses those Putin is finished, and I'm sure he's willing to sacrifice a lot more men and equipment and money before he'd ever accept that.

If only Russia had a few more million citizens like this brave artist and a few less million like the evil granny who turned her in:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

At the moment, the angles that Russian propaganda pushes for the domestic consumption are a) Ukraine is stuck and its offensive has utterly failed, b) Russia has no losses, c) at the rate the West supplies arms, Ukraine will never get the support it needs to break through Russian defenses, and besides, d) Biden is a lame duck and "our" Trump will cut Ukraine off, leading to the glorious Russian victory, therefore everything is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

even the soldiers of real world experience never fought a meaningful war and it showed when things kicked off last year. whole columns taken out as they bunched up and dopes driving straight into urban areas without due care. anyone remember the infamous column of vehicles which trailed from the belarussian border towards kyiv and became the biggest military traffic jam at the time? the bayraktar drone had a field day back then.

someone i know was recently training ukrainian troops in a european country. the base he was stationed in has alone trained over 65k ukrainian troops. an officer permanently stationed there said losses are high. one batch of troops had a 60% casualty rate within a few weeks of returning to the frontline.

i just hope the constant erosion of the russian war machine eventually causes a catastrophic collapse sooner rather than later because a trump win in the US election next year will be disastrous for ukraine and europe as a whole.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement

Always worth sparing a thought for any artist, free thinker, LGBTQ person or just generally aligned along the "I'm not sure things are great" axis in Russia. I'd never have the nerve to even resist, and to read the article it's such a trivial thing n all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement