Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No, you are wrong. You cannot keep repeating this. Its wrong and it displays your lack of understanding. Lets dissect your language in the key sentence below

"once Hamas commits another war crime, by using hospitals, schools and refugee camps as shields for legitimate military targets, their status changes."

"once Hamas commits another war crime...." Jesus H, is this the level? very high level intro there? what do you mean?

"...by using hospitals, schools and refugee camps as shields for legitimate military targets" where is the proof? oh right... but there are tunnels...which article are you referring to? Israel must have proof (see below re harmful acts)

" their status changes" Their status changes to what? Come on, some detail...a link maybe? Their status changes to "looking for work" maybe? Single? A Bird? again, what article? thrill us with your acumen.

1/10 for that effort.

Here is the actual article.

Article 19

The protection to which civilian hospitals are entitled shall not cease unless they are used to commit, outside their humanitarian duties, acts harmful to the enemy. Protection may, however, cease only after due warning has been given, naming, in all appropriate cases, a reasonable time limit, and after such warning has remained unheeded.

The fact that sick or wounded members of the armed forces are nursed in these hospitals, or the presence of small arms and ammunition taken from such combatants which have not yet been handed to the proper service, shall not be considered to be acts harmful to the enemy.

-----------------

There were no acts harmful to the enemy from within the hospital.

There was no evacuation plan or warning.

The small arms found (planted) did not remove the protection.

Having a tunnel running under a hospital, school, camp does not make it a legitimate target!!

To sum up, you are spoofing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The track record of the IDF and the video and photo evidence they provide is a terrible mess. The videos in particular seem almost comical and have thin if any evidence. Reputation on a global stage has been. Well and truely shattered

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Still with this blinkered view on the topic of hostages.

Can you tell us why you put so much importance on Israeli hostages nearly to the point that if they were release that there would be peace in the region 30 minutes later and yet you refuse (as much as I can see) to acknowledge the tenfold numbers of Palestinians held without charge by Israel.

There's been repeated examples of Hamas offering to release hostages (for a ceasefire window and for prisoner exchange) and yet Israel has refused to entertain this idea.

Not to mention the hostages killed by Israel in its indiscriminate bombing of Gaza.

You've posted a lot about the justification of over 10K Palestinian deaths because of the deaths of 1200 Israelis, and you comment so much about the importance of about 200 Israeli hostages while ignoring completely the 2000 odd Palestinian prisoners held without charge.

It's very hard to not deduce from this that in the eyes of some, one Israeli life is equal in value to about ten Palestinian lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What do you mean it is not in Israel's favour? That is absurd. Having the 7/10 criminals sent to the ICC is in Israel's favour.

Your posts are so biased and cannot see beyond prejudices against Israel to present logical arguments.

Which bit of you don't have to accede to international law to be still acting within it is a problem for you? It is like me saying that I don't recognise the 120 kph speed limit on the motorway but never driving faster than 119 kph. It doesn't matter if you recognise a law once you abide by it.

The Article 55 nonsense? Dealt with that pages ago. All based on a notion that Israel is an Occupying Power prior to 7/10. It doesn't meet the test, no matter how many times well-meaning but naive NGOs argue that it does.

The solution to the conflict is quite simple. Release the hostages and handover the perpetrators to the ICC. Why do you think that the EU puts releasing the hostages to the forefront of all its statements???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not just me, the EU are calling for it too. As is the US.

Why do you put so much importance on what Arab countries and the likes of Cuba and Venezuela are calling for?

• Advertisement

Any chance you could answer as to your own motivations for these views instead of deflecting.

I place importance on the pursuit of stopping the killing and destruction of people as the absolute priority. Why do you not?

(Still waiting for your justification for prioritizing Israeli lives over Palestinians)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What do you mean it is not in Israel's favour? That is absurd. 

Article 55. That's what I mean. Article 19 as well for instance. Do you agree or disagree that Israel needs to recognize the ICC and be held accountable for charges of war crimes under such international laws?

Your posts are so biased and cannot see beyond prejudices against Israel to present logical arguments.

Argumentum ad hominem. I don't have any prejudices against Israel, everything I have posted in this thread about Israel is based on data and evidence. One cannot hope to claim someone else's argument is illogical... by engaging in ad hominem, a categorical fallacy.

If Israel does not 'accede' to international law then it is not accepting any accountability for it's actions nor taking that claim that it is "acting within it" to task. No mere person can argue they are "acting within it" that is up for courts to decide, that is the only approach that is logical. But Israel doesn't recognize a court that could do any such thing. That is the problem.

Even here you discard Article 55 like it doesn't apply -- one person making the argument when 'this doesn't apply or 'they're acting within that', doesn't bring about agreement, much less a peace solution. QED.

The solutions you provide are not really solutions they are slogans that don't really address the real situation. How can there be peace between the 2 states when 1 side is accountable to the ICC but the other never is?

Dealt with that pages ago and got mauled? I love it. These are the well meaning NGOs who are wrong...

Here is a list of well respected organisations that have studied the situation in Gaza and consider Israel an Occupying Power since 2005 (and before Oct 7)

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) 

UN General Assembly

UN Security Council 

UN Special Rapporteur Richard Falk

International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)

United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory

European Union (EU)

African Union

International Criminal Court (ICC) (both Pre-Trial Chamber I and the Office of the Prosecutor)

Amnesty International

Human Rights Watch

UN Relief Workers Agency

--------------

Pathetic response.

And since Oct 7, have Israel violated Article 55?

No answer expected. Rhetorical.

If you are looking to trivialize one 'side' of the peace process, how is there ever going to be a peace process?

Is a Venezuelan voice not just as loud as an Irish voice or a Japanese voice or a Cuban voice or an Israeli voice?

If Palestine is accountable to the ICC but Israel is not, how is peace achieved?

The Israeli High Court of Justice has itself emphasized that the state is nonetheless required under international humanitarian law to allow Gaza to receive “what is needed in order to provide the essential humanitarian needs of the civilian population” (Jaber Al-Bassiouni Ahmed 2008, para. 11)

• Advertisement

The IDF seemingly want to sideskirt this by putting their foot in their mouth so often and declaring everyone still in north gaza to be a combatant. You even have US congressmen comparing the innocent civilians to Nazis. 'they aren't civil they're savages' etc.

or the more sophist, 'they aren't even a civilization so how can they have civil rights'

Yep, Israel and others have been dehumanising Gazans for a long time now. It's disgusting.

Is there a rational politician in Israel? They all seem to be unhinged!!

Savages is the buzzword coming out of spox mouth the most (and then after, 'Nazis' 'worse than hitler' 'animals')

I'm sure the mickey mouse connection here to the trail of tears etc is you know, just trivial coincidence

Very mature approach by Republicans to the UN resolution that Israel rejected out of hand 10 mins after it passed

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4313131-desantis-pledges-to-strip-un-funding-after-latest-israel-hamas-resolution-passes/

Meanwhile: tiktok freaking out when they learned that 9/11 was not for so simple a reason as "they hate our freedom TM", something which has resurfaced in the discussion about the Gaza conflict

Fox retracts kneejerk claim it made to defend Israel from critics of ethnic cleansing actions

“I was wrong when I expressly said that Pakistan had expelled Palestinians. The government there is, in fact, kicking out 1.7 million people and what they’re called a ‘tiered repatriation.’ Pakistan says those people are there illegally — they’re illegal immigrants. Now, here’s who they are: mostly Afghans who have tried to flee the Taliban. Some Uyghurs, ethnic Muslims who are facing genocide in China. And some from Iran and other places. So, I want to set the record straight — it is a mixed group of people, mostly Afghans being expelled.”

It was blatant whataboutery on the spot:

MON., NOV. 6: "Five days ago, Pakistan kicked out 1.7 million Palestinians. Where are these people? I mean, don’t they care about the 1.7 million Palestinians that are being, I mean, just expelled from Pakistan right now? Why is that happening? Who is that happening to? Who’s creating a corridor of safety for them to go where? Who wants them? Where will they go? Why don’t they protest some of these other Arab nations that aren’t opening their doors to any Palestinians? The 1.7 million Palestinians getting kicked out of Pakistan and the people who are asked to leave the war zone for their own safety."

Which she still hadn't bothered to check herself on days later:

WED., NOV. 8: "Everybody has a heart for those suffering. (Rashida Tlaib) needs to call the leader of Pakistan where they expelled 1.7 million Palestinians."

Into the 2nd day of looking for Hamas in a hospital, still turning up 'scant evidence'

Free link

Sure though, I already saw that IDF officer in front of both CNN and ABC check behind the curtains. Where are they?

(xerox effect hasn't been kind to life of brian reposters on youtube)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Interesting on BBC just now in the MRI room where the guns were found in the hospital. The reporter mentioned they were found close to bags of medical supplies in bags next to them. A shame that barcode is not a bit clearer

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Radio silence once again when asked to look at a Palestinian and an Israeli as being people of equal value.

Despicable.

Yes I saw that on the 6 news. The War on Hospitals is going at a great pace. Looking forward to IDF's new movie "Hamas HQ The Sequel". I hear it will have extra DVDs and chairs. They might even open the grab bag this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder if the big yellow Toyota 'jeep' that a poster told us goes up and down the tunnels was booby-trapped.

Yeah, an MRI machine...

Unless those rifles were put there recently, or the Hospital hasn't been running MRI's in who knows how long, that cannot be true. Those rusty rifles would have to have been there for a long time, and it doesn't seem that likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What about the 2,000 Palestinians or more detained without either trial or charge in the West Bank since October the 7th?

Immediate unconditional release and Israeli leadership surrenders to the ICC by the same logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This entire Hamas Command Centre in the hospital is very embarrassing for the US as they swallowed the Israeli excuse to commit war crimes and now that nothing substantial was found they will find it hard to save face. A few old rusty guns that the Israelis probably brought in when the egg on their faces solidified does not cut the mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Jerusalem Post have stuff on it. For example 4 IDF were killed by a BT and others suffered serious injuries per the interview with a medic but I can’t remember which website the interview was on it.

I know I know it’s Israeli media.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also, how would a few guns in a hospital in Gaza city pose a danger to Israel? I'm not sure they've even thought this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Looks like a big discovery is about to be made shortly.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

so Israel do still control the rafah crossing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Just speculating here but Egypt must have to at least tell them roughly x vehicles etc. are going to cross in at x time, or x is expected to come out to Egypt (and have that approved).

They don't want the Irsaeli airforce to bomb whatever is moving on the roads in Gaza or bomb supplies they are sending in etc.

Afair Israel has done airstrikes close to that crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Is it kind of accepted then that Israel are an occupying force. If Egypt need approval from them for border crossings with gaza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I thought they were the occupying power (?).

I mean pre this crisis they did not day to day administer the details of what is going on in Gaza but really it is not sovereign, and not anything close to a state.

Israel had a large amount of control over it. It is the same in the West Bank.

I kind of see the Palestinians as almost an internal problem for Israel, but they often seem to be trying to make others responsible for sorting it out, the (other) Arab states, the US, the EU, the UN, god knows who else next. You break it you bought it though.

Advertisement