Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I notice no fuel to actually run the hospital. Lights, machines, incubators etc. Not allowed it seems.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

If its still there, for sure it is. Just like many other items and places are booby trapped. Realistically, I'd say that vehicles are too important and valuable for Hamaz to needlessly destroy them. But if it was broken down and un-repairable, the yes, it will be booby trapped, Its SOP in situations like this. I've seen booby traps in the most innocuous of places, ingeniously hidden. Rigged so that opening a door or causing the slightest vibration would trigger an explosion. And that's what the IDF have to contend with, and why progress is so slow. Plus the sheer size and scale of the tunnels. They have been likened to the London underground in scale and depth and complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Seems strange they search for hours and find nothing, then get a delivery of medical supplies. Then find a stash of weapons behind a MRI machine next to a cardboard box with bagged up medical supplies all over the floor.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Where have the thousands of Hamas fighters gone? No sign of them around the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Realistically, I'd say that vehicles are too important and valuable for Hamaz to needlessly destroy them. But if it was broken down and un-repairable, the yes, it will be booby trapped, Its SOP in situations like this. I've seen booby traps in the most innocuous of places, ingeniously hidden. Rigged so that opening a door or causing the slightest vibration would trigger an explosion.

So why did this not happen?

?

I await your expert and experienced response after that 'you've never been in a warzone' smear. A motorcycle, broken down, but you say it's SOP to booby trap it and the room etc. but none of that happened. Much vibration as IDF and news crews stampede around the place, rip back curtains, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

They have since about 2005. All aid for Gaza from the Egyptian side enters via Israel. Trucks are driven into Israel, inspected and then driven along the border under the watch of the IDF and then into Gaza.

In the case of people entering and exiting and the lists we've heard of and Hamas not allowing people leave etc... there's 2 sides to the border. Hamas may let you leave, but that only gets you to the Egyptian side of the crossing. In that case it looks like Israel and Egypt have an agreement and only those on a list may enter Egypt.

So with that and a naval blockade since 2005.... People still think Gaza hasn't been under occupation before the 7/10 attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

So now that the IDF is seemingly not finding evidence of the hospital being a Hamas command centre, the new line is "they've taken all the stuff away since we identified the hospital as their command centre a few weeks ago".

Hamas is a vile organisation, but come on Israel, you've got to offer more than "the lack of evidence is all the proof we need that we were right"

Journalists really taking the Command Centre argument apart. Making a total joke of Israeli soldiers pointing out parts of the hospital as being tunnels, Command Centre etc. when they turned out to be a liftshaft and a water tank. Its laughable but also so sad that so many had to die in and around the hospital to satisfy the Israeli lust for deaths.

'there's a command and control HQ under the hospital'

'uhm yeah there is'

'we know there is theyre worse than hitler duh'

'check out this CGI, leave the hospital'

'we have the evidence'

'we don't talk about intelligence'

'have you not seen our CGI? Holocaust denier.'

'we have surrounded the hospital because of all the evidence we have'

'we are looking for the evidence'

'they got away with the evidence'

'this baby bottle proves there was a baby hostage in a childrens hospital'

'okay we will bring in large pallets of conspicuously marked 'MEDICAL SUPPLIES''

'Wow look at all these rusted rifles we suddenly found all over the hospital'

'we need a few more weeks to find Hamas in the hospital'

• Advertisement

Taken all the stuff???? Hamas managed to move the whole damn command center away by the looks of it. That's some tunneling. Dig out a few feet of dirt, backfill it behind them and shimmy down the strip to the a new location.

On a side note, the actual structure Israel built under the hospital decades ago, have the IDF shown any footage of that? Surely they remember where the entrance was. I'm curious if it was recently in use or abandoned all this time.

What's worse is some people on here wouldn't have batted an eyelid if the IDF just bombed the hospital. They would have taken the IDF at their word that there was a command center under it and was an imminent threat to the safety of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's not really. The US has been like the privileged/wealthy parents of an errant teenager who has been involved in a disturbance at school or something.

They've no interest in finding out the truth but are going to defend their offspring no matter what. They don't care about the lack of evidence, they probably knew there was no intelligence to justify the attacks on the hospital and so this is just about PR work for 12-24 hours or so. It would only be embarrassing if they felt that they had to justify their support for Israel, they clearly don't.

Biden has cut the progressive element of the Democrat party adrift completely. They've probably weighed it up and decided they'll gain way more center right floating voters than they will lose and so be it.

Very very disappointing to see, particularly with Biden repeating IDF/PR lines like their irrefutable facts despite the evidence (or lack of). Also the likes of John Fetterman who was elected after a huge progressive push for his campaign last year.

News from the US today is that APAC (with 100M of GOP money) is going to go after progressive Democrats such as Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib (the only Palestinian/American in congress) and that Democrat leadership isn't too bothered about this.

I've been a big defender of Biden as President, that is a small consolation and the only thing that will give me joy if he runs and wins next year is that he'll have kept out a Conservative that would have done everything he is doing with respect to Israel, and a lot more damage besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

That would have been the miracle that the IDF have been praying for....TV crews, CNN etc. in the tunnel supposedly beneath the hospital and then a booby trapped bike going BOOM !!! Lovely, just what the propaganda doctor ordered. I mean with such timely and undeniable proof of Hamaz active directly underneath the hospital, and all recorded live on camera!!! Who could ever doubt Israels claim that they were indeed cleaning out a vipers nest of Hamas terrorists beneath the hospital? and further more, there were more such nests, many more to be attacked and neutralized.

As for the so-called smear, anyone who has been in a war zone, and is watching and following what's happening in Gaza / Israel, would not have any doubts whatsoever about what the IDF will face in those tunnels. And they would not have to wait for any news articles to tell them either. None the less, the subject of booby traps has been widely reported, long before I mentioned it, had you been following what has been happening?.

As things stand now, and with best available information, would feel confident enough and trust your belief that these tunnels are not booby trapped to risk entering one, and exploring it? Because, I'll tell you one thing, the IDF are far from happy about it, and if they can "Neutralize" from outside, without entering, that's exactly what they'll do, and by any means possible.

100%

The flattening of that hospital would have been deemed completely justifiable under unnamed "rules of war" based on an Israeli whim.

Israel's war on hospitals has already ensured that almost all of them have ceased to function. That was always the plan. They'd rather they did not exist in Northern Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I notice too that TV news shows are now treating any IDF claims very sceptically : RTE, BBC, Sky News etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

No, the Rafah crossing is controlled by the Egyptian Border Guard. Egypt, not Israel, has closed it twice this year both in the aftermath of attacks by Hamas.

Nothing in this post even attempted to address why, in this real world example, facts directly contradicted your own assertions that it is "standard SOP" to booby-trap disabled vehicles left behind?

As you said previously, most of what you're saying is conjecture or stale historical reporting not related to the current conflict. And examples like the one in bold, that conjecture is being eroded by facts.

As things stand now, and the best available information, there are no reports of booby trapping in this current conflict that have been provided. It was alleged that it was standard SOP to booby trap a disabled/unrepairable vehicle, such a vehicle was left behind and no such booby trap was present. Direct evidence of this negative, provided by the IDF, CNN, and ABC, and other journalists who I may be omitting by mention from the same visit.

IDF are now going to be targeting kids bedrooms for bombings. Boards lads will be screaming they are now all legitimate targets

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I believe it is highly embarrassing for the US. Shades of the 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' all over again and a huge loss of reputation.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're only embarrassed if you care about how you are perceived.

So that's where all the MEDICAL SUPPLIES are going is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Assuming hamas have a central command of some kind, "all the stuff " is likely to be a few laptops and not much else. It's not a 70s James Bond movie. There won't be some kind of Moonraker type "command centre"

Is there anyone here that can justify this blockade of fuel which has so many implications. Is it ok for civilians to die of thirst for example? Because that is what you are condoning if you support Israel's war efforts.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That's probably not for any want of desire, but they're being restrained. And, haven't they messed about in/near Rostov (wherever it was Wagner capture for a little while) shooting at bases there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes...........and? I was replying to a poster who made the vacuous comparison between Hamas launching rockets from the tiny enclave of Gaza and the Russians launching missiles from their vast territory. That this in their poisoned view justified Israel blasting Gaza city because they figured people might say it was ok for Ukraine to retaliate against Russia. That sort of twisted logic.

Did you notice the Mein Kampf book in the pram. Shocking stuff

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

Egypt controls the crossing and they openly admit they open/close it to keep pressure on Israel over the Gaza issue.

For instance, there is no political or military reason why Israel would want Egypt to keep the crossing closed to non-Palestinian citizens. That doesn’t help them in the slightest. It does help Egypt highlight the Palestinian cause though - and does mean they don’t have to deal with ordinary Palestinians trying to apply for refugee status in Egypt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Why is Martin talking to Israel about getting people across it then?

Advertisement