Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

With Hitler, I get the impression that he had some consistent principles and sense of duty to his country. If he hadn't expressed these in a mass genocide, take over Europe kind of way, he may have been a little better remembered.

With Trump, I don't get the sense that he has any consistent principles or sense of duty. In fairness to him, though, he hasn't led a mass genocide or attempt to take over the Americas. Not yet, anyway. But Trump would nearly want to do this things just because he lost his place on the Forbes rich list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

"People who claim we are going to attack them are crazy. We'll prove this is wrong by attacking them."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hey, that was the walkback of what he said in response to Trump being accused of fascism by saying opponents were vermin:

"Steven Cheung, a Trump campaign spokesman, told The Post “those who try to make that ridiculous assertion are clearly snowflakes grasping for anything because they are suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome and their entire existence will be crushed when President Trump returns to the White House.”

He later amended what he said via the tweet above.

Odious Nazi scum and their loyal sycophants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is Trump a fascist?

Well that depends on whether absolute monarchs can be called fascists, 'cos I can guarantee that's what Trump would like the Presidency to be (remember his blathering on about Article 2 giving him unlimited power?). His manner, actions and overall energy runs very parallel to the petulance and dangerous charisma of the old European kings.

Are the people behind and below Trump fascists?

100%. This comes back to the "Useful Idiot" theory that Trump is simply a convenience or tool to further walking back democracy in America; I remember aeons ago Boards users would get infracted in the Politics forum for sarcastically calling America "Gilead" - but make no mistakes that's precisely the intent with MAGA and anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention. The Conservatives are talking this exact rhetoric and whatever centrist credentials the GOP used to have, it's being subsumed by crypto-fascists - or just outright fascists.

As always I point to Umberto Eco's 14 common features of fascism, and it's instructive how many of them apply to the modern American Conservative movement.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As to whether or not Trump is a fascist, I'm happy to defer to Robert O Paxton, author of The Anatomy of Fascism. After the insurrection, he stated that he considered Trump to be a fascist.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Donald Trump is not a salt water crocodile, and those who say that will be dragged into a creek, spun around in his jaws until motionless, and then stored underwater with the rest of his kill

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Donald Trump is whatever he needs to be to get what he wants.

And what he wants right now is Revenge , in fact what he's wanted for most of his life is revenge.

Revenge for all the people that do not fall at his feet and tell him that he is champion of the world , revenge for all the people who wouldn't accept him as an equal because they (correctly) see him as a bitter boorish oaf utterly lacking in anything approach human empathy.

That constant rejection from everyone starting with his Father, is what fuels him.

He is anger and resentment made flesh - He is a Fascist by convenience not by belief as his only belief is that he is awesome and is entitled to take anything he wants.

2011: "Corporations are people, my friend."

2023: "The radical left, communist Democrats... Ol' Nancy's wall didn't work so good, did it?"

From hair-styled neoliberalism to stream of consciousness hatred and bile.

At least the mask has fallen and the monster has been exposed. It's only a question of whether reasonable citizens of the United States are prepared to actually confront the evil of Trump head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭amandstu

I see Pelosi's assailant has been found guilty.

"Tearfully apologized " according to the article.

Tears for himself probably and apologies because he was advised to by his legal team I expect.

One of Trump's "good men" I am sure ,wrongfully convicted ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

According to his lawyer he was motivated by 'right wing conspiracy theories', so we wonder if any right-minded (sorry, take that either way) Republicans are going to do anything about the 'conspiracy theories' that caused such an attack? Not factual stuff that they can prove, just theories that the lawyer is now claiming were responsible for some moron taking his idea of justice into his own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

No doubt Trump will be offering him a pardon soon in one of his "rally" speeches and saying how unfairly he was treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

I disagree with you calling Bidens age an issue , there's a cigarette paper more or less between him and II Duce Trump , if anything he's more open to listen to his advisors ! Yes one more term means he can no longer serve Reagan was 70 taking the reigns and " made America great again " ! Hijacked by Trump , that miscreant in charge is something we should be scared of , even though GALWAYS bio/pharma jobs are safe that mantra of taking jobs back to the states doesn't sit well with me !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In the new Wall Street Journal poll, 73 percent of Americans said the phrase “too old to run for president” captures Biden at least “somewhat well,” with even Democrats agreeing overwhelmingly.

He really is the gift that keeps on giving for the prosecutors. Didn't he also say before that the riot on January 6th was mostly ANTIFA? Now he's admitting that a) he did want to go there, which confirms Cassidy Hutchinson's account and b) they were his own people. What a clown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For whatever reason, Biden's age is perceived as a bigger issue than it is for Trump. It was clearly evident that Biden is the more cogent of the two and fitter of the two but it doesn't matter once these things embed into the electorate's mind. Saying "it's not an issue because of XYZ" makes no sense when voters are telling you it is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I repeat, MAGA on MAGA violence is hilarious.

Christ, do they not realise that you take shots at a witness *after* they finish their role as a witness against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Endless social media screaming will do that, plus complicity of the sewer news like Fox/OAN/Newsmin

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I find it super weird that Don Jr's wife is the former spouse of most likely the Dem presidential nominee for 2028. Icky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It tells you all you need to know about politics in the US.

A barrel of snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

There have been stories that Trump had Mein Kampf as reading material on his bedside cabinet. The following report by Thom Hartmann, shows just how closely much of what Trump and his backeres are doing matches what happened in Germany with the Nazis.

The GOP/MAGA/Trump crew seem to have read their history books and decided that what worked for Hitler could well work for them too.

https://hartmannreport.com/p/now-we-know-how-hitler-did-it-544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,554 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wow I’m surprised Trump can actually read at times with the amount of mistakes he makes trying to read his auto cues at his manic speeches.

Of course what worked for Hitler could work for Trump. The only thing you really need is timing and the sense that there are enough people amenable to that grift again and you're away.

It's only lucky that Trump is so self-obsessed and so old. It would be so much worse if he were 25 years younger and possessed some sort of high intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

An anchor on CNN pointed out that Trump keeps saying he beat Obama in 2016. The anchor: "No, you didn't beat Obama, his 2 terms were over. You beat Hilary. They look different, you know?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭amandstu

Does he keep saying it?That is gas.

Maybe they could tell him that Hilary is standing again as an independent..

Does he engage on social media I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

AFAIL, only truth.social, and doesn't engage. He broadcasts his posts but doesn't engage really, just shouts his opinion of the minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a "victory" for marketing really, and how a lie spouted constantly and consistently will eventually take hold.

Trump's verbal diarrhea, blatant mistakes and personal issues should make him the more obvious candidate for cognitive decline but here we are. Instead he's feted by the right and contrarians here as the big strongman.

Quite the headline.

This is a thread of interesting posts, but the judge found as above. The reason he isn't knocked off the ballot is that the judge found the presidency was not an office under the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Cue the truth social posts from Trump boasting how the court found that he is a legitimate candidate for president, ignoring the little detail that he has been labelled an insurgent by an official court order.

Precisely, like the first ruling with E Jean Carroll. "Technically, he's *not* a rapist, he sexually assaulted her".. as if that ever was a win

• Advertisement

I think it sums up nicely how f**ked up the USA is, that according to the judge he shouldn't be allowed to run for any state offices because he's an insurrectionist, but can run for the office that oversees the whole thing no bother. What a country that truly is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement