Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceased relative almost 40 years and Prize Bonds?

Options
  • 16-11-2023 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I am not sure that this is the correct place but I could not figure out where may be the correct place to ask this or find out any information.

I have a relative who passed away in 1984. Recently we found out that they won €80 on prize bonds that we did not realise that they had.

I would like to know how I could go about finding out how many prize bonds they actually own or owned, and if any of them have won any prizes other than the €80 we recently found out about.

How would I go about doing this and would they (winning bonds) and any other state savings show up in the same query?

Go raibh maith agat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Are you a beneficiary of the will of the deceased?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Enter Username Here

Yes, I am one of 5. There was no will.

A house was sold years ago, and maybe since then. The current owner was able to track us down for the €80 win and said that they have got other less official looking letters in the door, but usually go in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If the house was sold, there will have been an administrator of the estate of the deceased appointed. That person is still the administrator of the estate and can enquire from the Prize Bonds office about whatever holdings the deceased had.

I think that would have been a solicitor that is long dead?

I thought it may have been possible to contact prize bonds directly with the correct information, and they would let me know?

I would guess I would need proof for example, my I.D., death certificate of person in question, and maybe something else - proof of that old address, but I cannot find any information anywhere, and to be honest, I am not even sure where to start looking.

If the solicitor missed those, or if they passed on any old cases to whomever took over their practice or clients, might they charge me to find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The executor needs to contact State Savings. Nobody else may do so. Any winnings after the death are null and void.

• Advertisement

You have nothing to lose by sending in a copy of the death certificate and evidence that you are the next of kin, mentioning the bonds you know about and asking if there are any other bonds registered in the name of the deceased. At worst, they will tell you that they will only provide the information to a properly appointed administrator, but there is a chance that they will give you the information.

It's not correct to say that "winnings after death are null and void". Prize bonds are just like any other form of stock or bond; on the death of the registered holder they become part of the estate, to be distributed to those entitled, and they carry the same rights to dividends, interest or other returns as they always did.

Thank you.

I was told that any winnings are held somewhere until they are claimed, but I was not sure how accurate that may be. But, to be honest, any winnings would be a surprise bonus. I was and am just thinking that maybe they had invested maybe £1000 in prize bonds in the 60's.

That, to me would seem normal for them. So not a whole lot that would guarantee a lot of prizes. I think it was something that they looked into before moving to the UK, then when they returned to Ireland, they did not continue with. It is at this stage more of a curiosity thing and of the €80, we collectively agreed to put €40 on lottery tickets and €40 to the heart foundation.

The €40 on lottery tickets won €6 and then won nothing :/

How were you able to cash the cheque made out to your long-deceased relative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

There are detailed instructions on what you need to do set out on the following page on the State Savings website. This will allow The Prize Bonds Company to conduct a full search for any bonds that your relative held and to process the case. Note that the results of the search will very much depend on the information you supply, so make sure you list all forms of their name that could have been used ( e.g. james murphy, jimmy murphy, jas murphy, j. murphy, j.j. murphy, seamus murphy, seamus o’murchu, etc) and also all possible addresses (e.g. all houses they lived in from 1957 onwards including their parents address, and any variations of the address, e.g. house name as opposed to house name, townland name, etc).

It would be worth following both sets of instructions (paragraph 1 and paragraph 2 in the following) as there is a chance that your relative being minded to purchase prize bonds might also have possessed savings certs, savings bonds or a post office deposit account.

Best of luck !

What’s your source for the statement “Any winnings after the death are null and void.” ? My understanding is that where historically a cheque was not cashed or the recipients address no longer proved valid all prize winnings are held until claimed by the winner(s) or in the case of the deceased by their estate.

• Advertisement

I am not sure. I don't believe that there were any issues. I think it was cashed in the Post Office. I would need to double check that.

Thank you very much. That is perfect. I have looked and searched using google but could not find anything, I was even on that site a load of times but not that page. : /

I need to up my research skills. Exactly what I was looking for, thank you once again.

I just re-read the list of documents required, and I have a couple of questions that I hope somebody could help with three of the last 4.

1. Proof of Death: by supplying an original or certified copy of the Death Certification or Coroner's certificate
    2. Last Will & Testament: where there is a will available, the original or a certified copy of this document should be enclosed to verify who is/are the executor(s) of the estate.
    3. Any relevant Prize Bonds certificates*, investment documents or account information available
    4. Grant of Representation: If available, enclose the original or certified copy.
    5. A sample of the Deceased's signature preferably from a Passport or Driving Licence
    6. Full details of all variations of names and addresses used by the Deceased at any time since the product purchase began.

I have the death certificate and there is no will.

For number 3 - "Any relevant Prize Bonds certificates*, investment documents or account information available" I would not have any of these as they are what I am trying to find out about.

Number 4 - I do not know what that means. Would I need to get a solicitor for that?

Number 5 - I do not know if we have a copy of their signature anywhere, I think all are long gone.

Number 6 should be easy enough.

I guess just send in what I can get and see how it goes from there?

Item 3. The only thing you can provide here are any details you have from the prize notification/cheque you received. This will at least identify that bond or batch of bonds. After that it’s all down to the search they carry out.

item 4. I’m not a solicitor but I think this page explains it clearly https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/death-and-bereavement/information-on-tax-after-a-bereavement/what-is-a-personal-representative.aspx some of the legal gals here may be able to provide you with further guidance about

item 5. Check with the person who administered the estate. They may have something.

“I guess just send in what I can get and see how it goes from there?” I think you’re on the right track with this suggestion. You may find that the “Personal Representative” (the person who administered the estate) needs to be involved but for now why just get started and see how it goes.

The one thing I would emphasise is the importance of giving them everything you can to assist with the search to identify any bonds your relative held, per my earlier post. My previous experiences of the results produced when they conducted searches were less than stellar. To put it politely State Savings staff aren’t the most energetic and aren’t likely to push themselves or show initiative. The more detail you can give them (see my previous post) the more likely you are to succeed.

Don’t beat yourself up over not finding this that website is very poorly laid out and you generally need to know the answer before asking the question !!

If you have any more questions about Prize Bonds just shout and be sure and let me know how you get on !

Thanks (again), I am just finished my last shift of the week, and I was looking forward to any reply :)

I will definitely update anything when I can or as it happens.

I have read your post, but will read it better tomorrow after some sleep. I am trying to think about the signature as the solicitor passed away a few years ago. I think we had or maybe still have some documents in a briefcase somewhere. At least I know that we used to before lockdown. There was a purge during lockdown.

I will find as much details as I can and I am aiming for wednesday before I send anything off. I have asked the others for a signature and it is beginning to look like there is nothing left of the €80 win cheque or letter. The person in charge said the whole envelope went into the post office and never received anything back, but she is checking. She texted me that at 7 o'clock this evening so I might have to wait until monday to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Incidentally the administrator is more likely to be a member of your family. The now deceased solicitor may have helped them to administer the estate, but is unlikely to have been the administrator themselves.

You might be able to find the name here:

https://courts.ie/probate-register-online

Thank you so much, I missed that and very sorry for the late reply. In an unexpected and sad turn of events, an almost identical death occurred within my family between this post and my previous.

Advertisement