Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Have a feeling he might pull up his sleeves to succeed think it could be 50 50. Either way it will send a message to the high earners in Rte do u want more hours and less dough in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭supereurope

Hang on...I'm confused. RTÉ have been telling us for years that they HAD to pay Tubridy massive sums of money because he was such a huge star, and if they didn't, then he'd be off to some huge, important broadcaster like the BBC or CNN.

Virgin Radio is an online/DAB-only radio station with a 1.2% share of the UK radio market (as of September 2023). Yes, it has big names in Chris Evans and Graham Norton, but we're not talking a major broadcaster here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Virgin Radio isn't the BBC or CNN.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yep, that's what I said - it's a minnow, and I throw up a little in my mouth everytime some one makes this out to be a major move. It's not.

People might be getting confused too with the "old" Virgin Radio, which was a big station in the UK in the 1990s and one that attracted a lot of publicity back then. That's now called Absolute Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Tubs minister for foreign affairs. Beautiful.

Missed the DAB/online part of your post initially. DAB is a lot more developed in the UK than Ireland but this is being spun in the media as if Virgin Radio is a massive station.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks didn’t know that - I presumed virgin radio was big enough in UK but like, jezuz BBC radio Norwich is probably more popular 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Will he mention in passing when he is having a chat with Bob from Bermondsey that his grandfather was an IRA gunman who slaughtered his fellow countrymen for fun and tore up their beloved steam railways such was his hatred for the British

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

According to this Vrigin UK just about scrapes into the Top 30 radio stations in the UK. https://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarterly_listening.php

It sounded like a big gig when I heard it, but once you scratch the surface it brings you back down to earth quick enough. But fair play to him getting it either way.

But I just don't know if he can transfer his schtick from his old slot on Radio 1 directly over to Virgin. He can't do a 30 minute rambling section on the papers, as by 10am that will have been done to death and he'll have to keep his personal opinions on a lot of things under wraps, as he'll have a very mixed audience to deal with.

Evans seems to have about 750,000, but I can't find numbers for the present slot, or the one that comes after him.

Can he do 3 hours? Not sure. A younger Tubridy, maybe. But he got very lazy the past few years; 25 mins of waffle and then a misery slot interview with 4 tunes thrown in somewhere. He'll have to ditch that, the UK won't do the misery bits too well. As the media is a lot more entwined there, he'll be playing a lot of music that he'll be told to play. Constant Beatles stuff won't impress.

He also won't have the staff that he had in RTE to do the work for him. He'll have to put in a proper 6-8 hour day and he hasn't done that in a quarter of a century IMO.

But he managed it before on the Full Irish, so maybe he can do it again here. Speaking of the Irish, he won't attract many of them, although the profile of Irish in the UK has changed remarkably over the past 30 years. It's now professionals who want to go, rather than the unskilled who had to go back in the old days.

Anyway, best of luck to him, I'm just glad that we're not having to support him here for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah, he's pretty much a real life Alan Partridge now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’m eagerly awaiting what Tubridy’s 1st song will be on his new show?

At a guess I think it’ll probably be one of the following;

1. Pink Floyd - Money
    2. Simply Red - Money’s too tight (to mention)
    3. Any U2 song - Did you know they bought him a scooter?
    4. Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (Let’s make lots of Money)
    5. Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
    6. The Notorious B.I.G. - Mo Money Mo Problems
    7. Abba - Money, Money, Money
    8. The O’Jays - For the Love of Money
    9. Barrett Strong - Money (That’s what I want)
    10. The Script - If you don’t Love Yourself

maybe a poll is in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Rent prices for upmarket properties in London probably double or treble what they are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So a salary reduction, for more work and more rent.

Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

usually a big move like that is made by someone in their 20s or early 30s not their 50s, someone up and coming, like Wogan or Graham Norton. Tubridy is not that. He has already had his big move up to primetime TV in RTE with LLS etc 20 years ago. Apart from the RTE scandal this would be a very strange move to leave a primetime TV and radio slot as a household name to start again at the bottom in the UK as a virtual unknown.

In fairness Tubridy was up and coming and fresh back in 2004/2005 when he had his own TV program on Saturday night, that would have been the period for a splash in the UK not now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So he's basically a radio disc jockey now ?

Lots of songs and He'll give out the odd announcement about competitions and bad traffic accidents around England.

That's what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So he has gone to work for the Murdoch’s then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I have not really read up on the specifics of this morning's announcement from Virgin Radio but I would question whether his future weekday show or slot on Virgin will be a genuine "live" simulcast. It is quite possible for Virgin to produce/engineer pre-recorded show/s to be aired at the same time for themselves and on multiple local radio stations in Ireland. By doing so it allows each particular radio station more technical control over their timing of commercials and the length of commerical breaks etc. It would also give Virgin more control over the shows content and how Tubridy delivers his presentation. In the long-term I would be very surprised if it survives under its present plan. Although program syndication takes place on multiple radio stations around the world and is particularly successful the US, Ryan Tubridy is just not that big of a name IMO. But look who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tbh, I had thought he had landed a plumb job. I remember Virgin back in the day, didn't realise its not the same station as that. I thought it was a big deal but maybe its a small fry job.

If the station is so small, why are Evans and Norton on it? Does Evans own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Owned by Wireless, which is owned by News Corp, so Tubs works for Rupert Murdoch now.

I guess Chris Evans joined since he was able to go "off the leash", which was something he couldn't do on the BBC. Plus I'm sure the salary helped. And don't forget, his star is no longer what it was either.

Can't really explain why Graham Norton went there, but there was a lot of surprise when the move was announced. Might be the same as Evans...money and perhaps less restricted in what he can talk about.

I remember back in the 1990s and the days of "Cool Britannia", the old Virgin Radio seemed to be at the centre of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Depends on what he is being paid really now doesn’t it.

Of course, if he is getting paid £ 350k a year for a total of 5,500 average daily listeners, good luck to him. At least the Irish TV licence payers are no longer shelling out for Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Remind me, who am I shelling out for in his place?

Post edited by gotaf on

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hasn’t the listenership gone up on his former shows time slot at RTE since he left?

Say more about the time slot than the presenters to me.

He has gotten a very good morning slot now on virgin and if he can grow the audience fair play but there is no way he is getting 500k a year at virgin for his first ever job outside of RTE.

He gets a fresh start and now he has to work for a company that will want advertising revenue targets and audience growth met.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In the words of a now banned thread poster will he be plying for some freebies when he starts, namely a MBE, maybe freedom of London, god knows what he could get

• Advertisement

He won't be able to get an MBE without a British passport...that's why Terry Wogan only took UK citizenship after he was given a knighthood. It was the only way he could use "Sir Terry Wogan."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement