Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Tubridy joins The Wireless Group - Thread bans in opening post

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will he be bringing over any of his loyal team with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

"if you post about anyone hundreds of time it's obsessive" - YOU have posted about Turbidy hundreds of times! Lol. But let me guess, it's not obsessive when you do it, but is when others do?

The irony!

So my behaviour is pathetic now? Better than being called a lying scumbag, a cancer and a doxxer I guess!

• He does know his way in the business, and tries with a little help from his friend. He does indeed.

Well with respect I think your own credibility was lost when you called me a lying scumbag, a cancer, and a doxxer....in the same post btw. And that's before we talk about all the other things you have said about me.

#bekind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I haven’t posted about Tubridy hundreds of times, you liar. Nor have I doxxed anyone like you, or called anyone a cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Who knows , maybe he'll be a roaring success, another Terry Wogan ! I doubt it though , his breathtaking arrogance means he's learned nothing and probably now feels untouchable until that anvil eventually crashes down on him !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Wish him well and it’s terrible to be out of work so any work is better than none and UK be a good intern for him.

i want impressed by his abilities in RTE and listening to the piece with Chris Evan’s this morning it jumped out at me at the time that he was making himself out to have had a terrible time, especially that schtick about God In A Hoodie. It sounded terrible how he went on

You’re a relatively unknown quantity launching yourself in a new market. Why do you refer back to your past? Why do you come out with shîte like God in a Hoodie? He’s not the first radio man to get their marching orders. Move on man and start fresh. He sounded slightly deranged to me going on about his past. Worse though, it sounds like the same old Tubbs and that’s not good. I’ll give his shoe a chance but if ratings went up after he left here it’s not boding well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• fyi I certainly don’t wish Ryan or anyone bad, just to get along with things & appreciate how we all share what should be a roughly equal space, I know his mother hasn’t been well, but the commute is thankfully short enough and there are other siblings in Ireland, and his daughters are in USA. Public info btw.

I have wished him well in both London and his new role several times in this thread. And I mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wonder how long Tubridy will last in his new job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I predict that he will have a long and happy career in Virgin Radio.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he did a few JFK tv documentaries for Virgin Media 1 in Ireland as well, though I don’t think he will be a full time fixture on television. He’s made his money, he will sail away into semi retirement I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Re doing 3 hours vs 1 hour on RTE, I decided to give the Eddy Temple-Morris show from this morning a listen. I was 30 minutes in before Eddy said anything other than a sentence to trail an coming up item, it was pretty much all continuous music. The first item that had been trailed (the kindest man in the world or something) took Eddy approx 60 seconds before we got another song. So in a way that isn't going to tax Ryan at all. On the other hand, it really doesn't play to Ryan's strengths at all - he isn't a "scripted 2 lines in between the high tempo 2000's indie classics" type of guy. In fairness I can't remember his original 2FM days, maybe that was more like his style then? If he sticks the Eddy's format it is going to sound very peculiar to an Irish audience I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Eddy really knows his stuff, musically speaking. Where's he off to, I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s not much better having a thread that is solely dominated by those with a deep, and personal, hatred of Tubridy and a worrying obsession with hate-listening to his show every single day.

Out of curiosity, will you be listening in to his new show, yourself, or is that it now? Will it just be the Weekend with Brendan O’Connor that attracts your “attention”?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yet intriguingly out of all the oddballs and angry men on this cesspit of a site its you who has the most posts on this thread.

Keep fighting the good fight and raging away there to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

The anecdote paints him as a victim who was wronged by society. Also gives him a chance to name drop Sinead O'Connor. He dropped U2 into the conversation when speaking with Chris Evans back in September. Comes across as being obsessed with celebrity and thinks that celebs are better than normal people. Regards himself as part of the celebrity class.

His other ridiculous comment was that "I'm thinking of Sir Terry Wogan this morning". Imagine a Scottish football manager getting a job in England saying, "I'm thinking of Sir Alex Ferguson today" or a League of Ireland player invoking Roy Keane when signing for an English side. Considering that Wogan left RTE because Tubridy’s grandfather made sure that he never got opportunities at the broadcaster, it's rather a twisted observation. Tubbs had everything handed over on a platter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was rather good back in the day on MTV and I’ve heard him once on radio too…..I like him. Nice personable fella with a quick wit and broad range of interests…

its certainly not a like for like… 😅. Eddy is very much a hippy… humorous, humble, and he’s a wild and cultured dude, BIG music and film fan …..

Stuffy yet affable is Tubridy but…. From this dude to Tubridy might be a very big, too big change….we shall see…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

Would you reckon him and Noel are high fiving now that all of Boards serial critics and haters are well and truly back in the box. Just hope Ryan doesn't hurt his back having to stoop to high five Noel. Or would that be a low five? Anyway best of luck to the lad...

And now with this new huge big job, and Noel Kelly behind him, and all of his supporters on Boards he could be the 'most trusted man in London', that would be some going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

It absolutely disgusting how that poster referred to the gay community.

A report to the mods is the least can be done .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

You can say that again.

Why is he referring to Sinead O' Connor and bragging about how he was a "good friend" of hers? Stirring these emotions about someone who recently passed away so young and in such circumstances, and talking about "god in a hoodie", and trying to make himself out to be some kind of victim. Dropping Terry Wogan's name also inappropriate, as if he's going to become the replacement to Terry Wogan, not as bad as SOC but just why bring it up? Bringing those names up out of nowhere, ridiculous.

I literally don't think I have ever heard an more inappropriate car-crash of an interview in my life. I think Tubridy is going through some mental health problems honestly and should just give up entirely. What on earth is he talking about Sinead O' Connor RIP for

Look, people who hate Tubridy are not making it all up. We're allowed to have opinions and Tubridy is a very weak presenter. He only got into RTE at all due to his connections. He has some basic reasonable capabilities, maybe he could fit in on a small local radio or children's television. He has no business being on national airwaves and people have every right to criticize him.

When your job is essentially chit-chat and you have a lot of practice doing it, it can take a while to get a full measure of someone. Tubridy can sound fluent and professional, have little jokes and make decent points and there, it's not obvious straightaway how bad he is. He has decades of doing the biggest stations in Ireland under his belt as a resume. This is why the UK think he must be good, no matter what impressions people get of him.

He went to the UK before didn't he? BBC I think, it didn't last long as they quickly realized what a joke he was. Tubridy has a perfect excuse at this time for why he wants to go to the UK - financial irregularities at home. If only they had dug a little deeper.

"'Desperately' being the operative word" as remarked in the comments.

They're going to have to give him a shot now and after a few weeks they'll be like "what the hell is this???", bringing disgrace on Irish people as if he is supposedly our best of the best, that the people had wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Not a minute in and he’s already on about death.

"Considering that Wogan left RTE because Tubridy’s grandfather made sure that he never got opportunities at the broadcaster,"

I hadn't heard that before. Is it documented anywhere?

Is that his friends in Rte or his loyal bodyguard of honour followers on Boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

One ‘BIG’ positive out of Ryan getting ‘work’ in the UK is the foreign exchange that he will earn there - on the assumption that he will bring it back to the OLD Sod

what about calling them ‘cigs’ instead so that there is ABSOLUTLY no confusion,!!

• Advertisement

"He only got into RTE at all due to his connections."

What connections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Tubs:

Rabid haters:

Guess who the winner in the interaction is?

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

The world would be a very dull , boring , sad, inhospital, etc, etc, place to live in were it not for it being peppered with obsessed men and women

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fianna Fáil family members - the Andrews family for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CMOD: closing this thread pending review of the torrent of reports and general poor posting of several of you. Will reopen at a later date if it's deemed worth it, but am in no hurry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement