Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Of course they are comfortable walking around the vehicle, because the booby trap has been neutralized

What booby trap? What neutralization? Where are you getting that from?? Where's the bomb squad???

You appear to be playing games now, plagiarizing news reports without deigning to link to them. What's been so challenging today about posting your evidence??? Could have provided that hours ago, when you were asked for any, without the ad hominems or the rants about military experience. Jesus.

Didn't happen near the hospital either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

The idf don't enter tunnels

It's too risky apparently, they use robots

To who?

When does Israel hand themselves over to the same body for similar war crimes?

When does Israel release its hostages?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Dude

They will have disconnected any booby trap before standing beside it making a video. Goodness me.

You make some good points about some stuff but some of the rabbit holes like this that you go down all by yourself are incredible. Just saying.

I mentioned earlier, according to the Jerusalem Post 4 IDF soldiers were killed by a booby trap outside a tunnel in the last week or so. Separately an interview with the medic said other soldiers lost limbs.

"dude"

The soldier made no mention of any booby trapping, whatsoever. "watch for yourself" the tweet from the IDF challenged. The video was watched, and no utterance or mention of a booby trap.

"dude"

I mentioned earlier, according to the Jerusalem Post 4 IDF soldiers were killed by a booby trap outside a tunnel in the last week or so. Separately an interview with the medic said other soldiers lost limbs.

Must have missed it then. What post # was that.

This one? You were vague on details, didn't even bother writing out the term booby trap, or even where or indeed when this would have occurred. Didn't bother to link to it and seemed to suggest it was propaganda:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not aware of any 3rd country inspecting trucks going between 2 different countries. Unless of course that country is under occupation.

The fact that every single truck of aid from Egypt has to drive into Israel for inspection and then afterwards be released to drive into Gaza is not standard procedure anywhere in the world.

There is not a lack of aid for Gaza, countries around the world spend millions on aid for Gaza, the only obstacle is Israel. They dictate what and how much can enter Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

I can’t link it for some reason but the Jerusalem Post has an article today which mentions booby traps in the present conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd be inclined to think that in the case of the Egypt / Palestine / Israel, it would be more for Israel checking that no weapons were being trucked in.

Which still directly indicates that Israel is an occupying force at that border, which is essential to the point being made that Gaza is afforded no control of any of its own borders or waters. ie. that it is an open-air prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

One way or another, the IDF will have to 'find' a Hamas command centre at the hospital. They will have to 'find' guns. Surely they can do better than a few rusty guns, surely they can cook up something more convincing or do they not care what the wider world think of them? This is a great opportunity to fully occupy Gaza but they need to make their actions at least slightly plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

If you go back a few posts, there's video showing the IDF members in tunnel / room they say is underneath the hospital. They also show a motorbike and some weapons. So, it looks like there are tunnels which are worth the risk (especially as they are looking for evidence that confirms what they say about Hamas using Hospitals, Schools, Apartment block's etc. as cover / human shields) and there are other ones that they consider too dangerous and will have to be taken out by other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Imports and Exports also strictly controlled. Most fuel is smuggled in via tunnels to Egypt. The blockade ruined the Gaza economy. 50% unemployment, most dependent on aid to survive.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Heres the quote in question where a booby trap is mentuoned.:-

EXPOSED:

In the Shifa Hospital complex, IDF troops found a hidden booby-trapped vehicle containing a large number of weapons, including:

· AK-47s

· RPGs

· sniper rifles

· grenades

· other explosives

As others have mentioned, that booby trap was well taken care of by a specialized team, who were long gone by the time the all clear was given before anyone was allowed enter the area. Again, I repeat myself, that's SOP for dealing with VBED's. Now I ask you one more time. Who do you think those weapons/ explosives belonged to? Hamas or the IDF?

Heres the quote in question where a booby trap is mentuoned

Yeah and it cited the video as it's evidence. A video which lended no support to there being any booby trap. I don't know why you want to keep circling that wagon.

As others have mentioned, that booby trap was well taken care of by a specialized team, who were long gone by the time the all clear was given before anyone was allowed enter the area.

No idea who you are referring to now. Post #? Source?

I don't know, are the boxes marked MEDICAL SUPPLIES, medical supplies? What you or I think is immaterial. What is fact is of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The Palestinian Ambassador to Ireland making a fool of herself.

"Hamas would definitely respect a ceasefire...!!"

Pity they broke it on October 7th.

"Hamas is definitely not a terrorist group, they are an integral part of the Palestinian people."

Also refuses to condemn what Hamas did on October 7th.

To be honest you are far too obsessed with trying to nitpick at the smallest things.

This by x10000

This culture of nitpicking and trying to find fault with everything is similar to what Holocaust deniers do. Many of those people admit that Jews did die but will fight tooth and nail about the figures, and methods and some will deny they were even gassed. Nickping eh!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 weary1

So the the IDF took several days to come up with these items, which would not be a normal part of their own armory. It takes a little while longer to move in a tunnel, but they'll get there.

She also admits that many many people believe in the ideology of Hamas.

I wonder what ideology is this exactly?

One that expouses the killing of all Jews in Palestine an the world?

She also admits that many many people believe in the ideology of Hamas.

It would be delusional if we didn't acknowledge that is true?

One which she indicates she doesn't agree with, ditto for everyone on the thread. They are nonetheless positioned as an integral part of the peace process as well, same as Israel is even when Israel is exterminating Palestinians by the bombful, and telling anyone they've missed thus far to move south, emigrate, etc. -- or else.

It's up to you what you want to believe or not but now, here's a post complete with link. just for you, and proving that Hamas has booby trapped the tunnels, as I have said they would. And I was right. The explosive used in the tunnel was so powerful it killed the soldiers even though they were not in the tunnel, but outside it. The tunnel itself shaped the blast much the same way a shotgun does. They did not have a chance. And here's another opinion of mine. There are many, many more such booby traps waiting in the tunnels for the IDF, or indeed anyone unwary enough to enter them.

Jerusalem school principal one of 5 more soldiers ... - The Times … (bing.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Do you want them to set off the booby trap and blow themselves up in front of the camera before you'd believe them? Maybe it was disabled before they made the video?

It doesn't matter what evidence Israel find or not, people will still say it's fake so what is the point?

Do you want them to set off the booby trap and blow themselves up in front of the camera before you'd believe them? 

What's so hard about the minimum iota of reporting, in the soldier mentioning it in his own report? The tweet made a claim, and to support it, said watch this video, and this video didn't support the claim. So now all we have are "maybes" great, irrelevant, but great.

Israel could submit all it's evidence to an international court if it recognized any! Instead of defeatist counterfactual arguments that evidence doesn't matter because truth is dead, we could do with some evidence! Nothing in the soldier's report indicated the vehicle was booby-trapped. Feel free to edit the video for the IDF if you like, or tell me where he said it in the video, at what timestamp.

If Israel is so sure nobody will believe it maybe it should rethink its stance, recognize the ICC and submit to an internationally recognized ruleset for evidence. We know why it won't do so though, they are rules for thee, and me, and they don't like that one bit.

One's burden of proof isn't only done for certain people or on special occasion. Thanks for that finally, much more appreciated than hours of being assumed to have never been to a warzone etc. etc. when the link would have sufficed from the start; we can leave it here so.

In other words, never, since Hamas leadership is unfazed by this operation and living it up in Qatar?

Quagmire alert

Unfortunately, that link was not available when I claimed that the tunnels in Gaza would be booby trapped, and you could not accept it. My claim was rooted in experience in similar situations. And for certain sure, anyone with the slightest shred of military experience would not have disclaimed it either. But if you were in a war zone, do tell. Maybe we've met?. As for "leave it here so", last time you said that, ( or similar) within a few posts you were back hammering away at me thinly disguised as the " resident military expert",

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

One of the key premises asserted by the IDF is that the hospital was allegedly hiding an underground base. Deep underground, then, how is part of the hospital? Hospital may act as a deterrent to being hit by a bunker bomb on the surface, but that is about it. It is highly unlikely that there was any interaction between the hospital staff and the alleged base underneath them in any event ( if it was there)

Building tunnels has been a tactic employed by various militaries throughout history, and Hamas is no exception. These tunnels serve several purposes, including providing shelter from attacks, facilitating military operations, and enabling the movement of personnel and weapons.

The Israeli military's decision to showcase recently discovered tunnels as some sort of diplomatic achievement—I don't get it personally.  The discovery of weapons in houses in the Gaza Strip by the IDF is not surprising either, as Hamas is primarily composed of Palestinian citizens who have chosen to engage in armed struggle. However, it is important to condemn the methods and tactics employed by Hamas in executing unarmed Israeli civilians

One of the most disheartening aspects of this conflict is Israel's relentless bulldozing of Palestinian homes and structures since they invaded. The removal of buildings, infrastructure, and vegetation would transform Gaza into a barren wasteland. The actions taken by the Israeli government are not indicative of a desire for the Palestinian people to stay where they are. Instead, these actions are a clear indication that Israel is actively working towards finding a suitable alternative destination for the Palestinian people. Those who will grow up in the aftermath of this war are confronted with the horrors of the past, often witnessing the destruction of their homes and communities. This traumatic upbringing shapes their perception of the world and their likelihood of joining another group, even if Hamas is defeated here (high likelihood).

Personally, I believe that Hamas's decision to hold onto hostages as a bargaining chip is a stupid move. It is evident that the hostage-taking strategy is no longer relevant, considering the recent Israeli invasion and the failure of Hamas's demands. I would release them all your screwed up either way because Israel is coming after you.If I were a leader of Hamas and faced with the choice of whether to maintain the heat over hostages or consider releasing them in order to gain support in the West for a decrease in action against the Palestinian people, I would carefully weigh the implications and consequences of each option. Like i said, I don't understand what benefit there is for Hamas in keeping them now in tunnels.

Advertisement