Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Only the new entrant's into the country by the sounds that are being made. All that are here will remain on the same benefits and 'entitlements' , but I would love to be incorrect on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Did charity really start with these boyos in the first place. Money racket from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terrier2023

Suck it up guys our out pouring of love for Palestine will mean we will have to take a load of them in too.Even the King of Jordan said they can go to Ireland their own neighbours wont touch them. Egypt Jordan muslims never help other muslims so the western civilisation will be landed with approx a million wow what will we close next to house them schools universities its not funny its very serious. The future Ireland is no longer riverdance & pints of guiness its sharia law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think at the start alot of genuine charitable people offered accommodation in their own homes,and alot were never contacted if I remember right. Total trafficking racket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You wont be far wrong with palestinian refugees on their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

100% I'm expecting this next. I wonder how many of the flag flyers will welcome sharia law, if they even knew what it entailed.

Oh they will all know soon enough and the same people wont like it one bit. Unfortunately our young generation of "lovers not fighters "are in for a rude & crude awakening when the muslim lads decide to **** them over they will be running to their mammies who will have loaded shotguns cos their mammies were among the last generation of real irish patriots !

The soft policing on the immigrants will cause a rise in vigilantes i hear its rumblings in the West. We will have a blood bath in ireland again but it wont be protestants this time we will be lining up with them fighting for our way of life & our culture. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

My personal opinion is that we need to do a much better job of developing facilities and infrastructure to house our growing population

Fwiw, there were 57,540 births registered in 2022. The population is not growing from births.

57540 × 82.2 (life expectancy) = 4,729,788

This could become a sticking point in years to come if working couples cannot afford housing to start a family.

The total period fertility rate, TPFR, is derived from the age specific fertility rates in the current year. It represents the projected number of children a woman would have if she experienced current age specific fertility rates while progressing from age 15-49 years. A value of 2.1 is generally considered to be the level at which the population would replace itself in the long run, ignoring migration.

In 2022 the TPFR for Ireland was 1.7 which is below replacement level.

To be fair, I can't see the government actually get helping young people find homes and can't see young people protesting so probably won't be an issue.

I'd say you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag😅

The Muslim lads I've met are in general very nice. Can't see such a war zone emerging. I can see people getting upset by fairness issues but can't see anyone envying the 38 the ipas get.

On the contrary if you met me you just might retract that statement. its the un fairness that is upsetting folk the new modular housing for non irish people thatsthe fairness issue. Government stretching themselves for the pat of the head from EU for non irish settlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

With MNC tax take down, government will have to pay for these freeloaders via tax take, so expect tax increases next year for this and to help enrich mates of governments hosting refugees and NGOs will need to maintain their tax money intake.

I'll believe it when I see it. Tell me where you're going on your next night out and I'll be there with a big paper bag to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Time for another reality check..

- We are not under any legal obligation to take in these people. The only "obligation" is between politicians here and in Europe and their NGO lobbyist hangers on and landlords here making coin on the decisions.

- We are under no obligation to give them a package of freebies that has made this country internationally known as a haven for anyone with a sad story. We can change that overnight if we wanted.

- We certainly should not be facilitating Christmas holidays for people supposedly fleeing from a warzone because they were in fear of their lives. The truth here is that those calling for this are economic migrants and welfare tourists, not genuine refugees and they should be refused admission if they try to return after their jollies. Again, nothing preventing us doing that either.

- We've no obligation to listen to complaints and lobbying from any of these people for more stuff or nicer conditions. They are allegedly here seeking refuge, not a better life. If they don't like what they find then they can head right back home, or anywhere else that'll take them.

- Irish communities and towns have no obligation to meekly accept dozens or hundreds of new arrivals being dumped on their doorsteps overnight with no consultation or plan afterwards. Politicians serve US, not the other way around and it's good that some are starting to be vocally and firmly reminded of that in these towns.

- We have no obligation to accept a situation where verified chancers (people arriving from safe countries, people destroying their documents to prevent authorities identifying them, people hiding in containers from France etc) are being given supports at the expense - financially and socially - of Irish people who DO have an entitlement to those supports. Someone mentioned that it costs a fortune to deport such persons with hoops to jump through, and that it's not as simple as sending the Gardai round... Why not? It's as complicated as we allow it to be. If we want to physically enforce deportation orders in much the same way as the sherrif enforces eviction orders then that's entirely our right and choice.

- We have no obligation to accept responsibility or liability for the problems of any other country. We can feel sympathy and empathy but anything else is entirely voluntary and should only be offered in proportion to our sustainable means and only AFTER our own needs have been met. Put very frankly, I don't really care about problems in Israel, Palestine, Africa, Ukraine or wherever else.. Bad things happen unfortunately and it's up to their politicians, military and citizens to resolve them, not a small island nation on the edge of Europe with massive domestic problems of its own and a population less than most major cities. We can't save everyone and we have no obligation to try beyond the ideology and inferiority complexes of a handful of dangerously underqualified politicians.

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of reading article after article (mainly in mainstream "legitimate" outlets) about how our generosity is being abused, how our people are being ignored by decisions to dump more and more new arrivals into our communities, how care homes are being closed to accommodate them, how people aren't getting medical operations, access to essential services, housing or other supports that they have FAR MORE entitlement to than any randomer just off a plane/boat, how the social and security problems that it's causing are being swept under the carpet... Etc, etc, etc..

I didn't vote for this. I don't support it and I don't want it destroying our country like it has our nearest neighbour and others on the continent. I'm far more interested and concerned about how our "leaders" intend to solve OUR problems and needs - many of which have been made manifestly worse by the current crop of TDs and civil servants in the last decade, but many of which go back a lot longer than that!

I am all for helping others out AFTER we have taken care of our own problems and ONLY insofar as that help doesn't negatively affect or limit supports for those who ARE actually legally, morally and constitutionally entitled to them.

I don't give a toss about anyone who screams racism, xenophobia or other ridiculous nonsense in the face of these uncomfortable (for them) realities. Ireland is FAR from perfect, but deliberately and provocatively making the country WORSE by transplanting hundreds or thousands of random people, many of whom come from societies completely incompatible with our own or our laws and values... Well that hasn't worked out very well elsewhere has it, and I prefer not to repeat these same mistakes here.

My priority is to my family, my friends and community and the stability, security and future prosperity and prospects that this State IS constitutionally obliged to place before all others. I make no apologies for that and I will not change my position on that.

Enough is most definitely enough and any politician foolish enough to darken my door trying to tell me that the Emperor really IS wearing clothes will be given the same dose of reality. I would encourage anyone else who this post resonates with to do the same - legally, peacefully and calmly of course, but we can no longer just sit on the sidelines, wait for someone else to do it, and hope it'll go away or all work out in the end as is the normal response in Ireland.

We need to make our concerns known to the canvassers, our questions heard and actually answered, and our votes actually counting for a change and given to those who actually get the message. I firmly believe that this agenda is being run by senior ministers and the party whip system but (as we've seen) cautious objections and questions are starting to emerge from some of the party TDs in local press.

Those are the ones who deserve support - not the "name" that you've always voted for, or the self-serving one who got you a medical card or resurfaced the road - but the ones who are actually asking the questions and thinking of the bigger picture not just the parish pump.

No one else is going to do it. It has to start with the electorate and the ballot box.

Think people.. This is an issue with far more longer term impact and consequences than probably anything we've been asked in decades. We don't get much of a say in our increasingly divorced from reality political system, but it's important we take the opportunities we do get and use them wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Brilliantly put and I can only agree and urge those who share these concerns to write to their TD’s.

Just got my property tax reminder which will pay for a Ukrainian couple’s Christmas Holidays…

Expect tax increases if SF get in. Full Stop. :)

I think the issue there that a potential voter has that feels the same way as you, is that there is no option amongst the main parties to vote for a different approach.

FFG and SF and SD and Greens and Labour are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

None of them are going to stop IPA arrivals, even though they could do if they wanted to.

There is a "safety in numbers" element to this from the political parties point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Another cogent, well put post. I agree that everyone on this thread needs to do more than just post on here - I'm guilty of this I know. We need to engage with canvassers and ask them the hard questions. Though I think canvassers know this and will be doing hit and run canvassing i.e. pushing leaflets through doors and running away. We need to let our representatives know where we stand. This is happening but it is like a snowball growing larger and larger. The next election is the important one, it's the local elections in May or June next year. People don't really see them as important and that allows candidates who wouldn't normally get within an asses roar of getting elected at national level get elected as councillors.

I know most people normally don't go out and vote in local elections but we need to for this one. For the local elections go out and vote, and encourage all your friends and family to do so as well. But vote only for independents and definitely not for any of FFG, Greens, SF, Labour, Soc Dems, PBP etc. Once they see their core vote go down then they will react. Of course, if you're happy with open borders and want to see more immigration well keep up the status quo.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

What's your cut off point @BlueSkyDreams?

500k?, 1 million?

Have a think about that because you're going to need one. The Refugees aren't going to stop coming on their own. And you'll find that 'international community' or our "European partners" will gladly offload them onto us.

I didnt argue for unlimited immigration.

I think it should be managed in line with the infrastructure we have within the country.

But whilst we are taking IPAs in, we should spread the load across the country.

Alot of the heavy complaints seem to come from small towns when IPAs get put in their own back yard, but I am not seeing complaints from those same people or huge protests at the Dail, if the IPAs are housed in Dublin or Cork.

Its as if rural ireland shouldnt play their part and it be left to the larger towns and cities to house all IPAs.

That part i dont agree with. It should be a shared responsibility across the country.

But I do think, at a holistic level, that the numbers need to be managed in line with our capacity for infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

What about the free travel how long does it last ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Imagine having the neck to be taken into a country that provides you shelter, and your first move, as a guest, is to rob one of their most vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

A situation may arise where young working Irish cannot afford to have children only refugees and dolers who get all the benefits and accommodation gratis .

For the sake of "equality", you could also argue that already exists within a segment of our own population, and it's just as wrong and in need of change and reform in those circumstances too! It should not be the case that it "pays" better to do nothing rather than contribute positively to society and work.

HOWEVER, despite that, those people still have more of an entitlement to the supports than ANY randomer fresh off the plane/boat.

Also, when you think about it this is all actually very familiar....

It's not the first time we've had an unrepresentative ruling class who are taking orders from abroad enforce a policy of resettlement of new arrivals and discrimination against the natives who then lose out on their access to essential care and services as a result and end up struggling themselves.

It didn't end very well in that previous situation then either - for any of the "sides" involved.

Hmm... What was it again....?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I made this very point to the Shinners when they last came canvassing. They shuffled off into the night muttering something. Ourselves alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

I am sure Shinners won’t bring in hundreds of thousands of Gazans establishing little mini Gaza ghettoes just so they can “show solidarity with Palestine”

/s

They will bring in refugees and Asylum Seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

And the only punishment is a suspended sentence and a trip back to Citywest, no deportation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Makes you wonder what one would have to do, to actually merit deportation?

Not only are our political class against the plain people of Ireland, but the judiciary as well. We are totally screwed.

Advertisement