Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So expect a Sir Ryan Tubridy in the future then...? He is that callous

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭supereurope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

These are the UK audience figures are on the rajar.co.uk website. Virgin Radio might be a big move for Tubridy but it is a very competitive market.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah that’s what I’m getting when I listened to that slot yesterday morning for about 20 mins- A LOT of music - he’s essentially a disc jockey literally albeit a button pushing jockey in these modern times - the DJ or presenter bit is very low key

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

So basically Lord Ryans agent advised him to take any position in any country just to stay relevant.

Dont worry Ryan just take the 50k per year for the moment and spin a few disc's till we can sort something out.

• Advertisement

I think the key reason is likely to be (my guess) - Virgin Radio like all stations want to expand their market- I don’t think the daily show is the big news- I think it’s actually the syndicated weekend show that will help virgin radio generate revenue in Ireland and potentially expand their brand-how much revenue though who knows - small fry overall but selling a weekend show to half a dozen or so Irish radio stations must be worth 20k (4k per station per week X 5 stations) a week? say 30 weeks a year that’s 600k in revenue?

Feel free to attack my maths as I haven’t a clue but the weekend show is definitely a potential revenue generator in a market virgin UK didn’t exist up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Irish Mirror saying he is getting around 70-100k for the Virgin radio job.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/how-much-ryan-tubridy-virgin-31457622

What sort of money would he get if say ,he was to do DJ at a 21st on a Saturday night with free nonalcoholic drinks included.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no, an "insider" is telling them. And fair play to them they converted into Euro too.

Even the headline is hilarious.

"Here's how much Ryan Tubridy could be earning"

Could be earning.

They have no idea and just made it up.

Which is standard fair really for them.

• Advertisement

Noel Kelly Media are the people in the know re Tubs salary.

Noel Kelly Media are not quoted in the article, an "insider" is.

You do know how tabloids work, right?

Make up some click bait, get people to read and share it = $

So you have done your part.

Boggles - read the article again - it’s very likely Noel Kelly is the source and briefed the Irish Mirror re Tubridy’s wedge

Ppl need to read between the lines, basic media awareness at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭pureza

Tubs is a millionaire and doesn't need the money

His own sense of self importance in my opinion does need the job for any money

It's a good gig for him from that perspective as he gets on air in the larger cities

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no need to read between the lines, just read what they said, they made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

About 1000-1200 euro for a wedding- 21sts tend to be cheaper but still around 800 - you might get a special offer of maybe 600 but unlikely much less unless the person just does the odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I reckon team Tubridy/Kelly are ultimately playing a long game here with the end result being a triumphant return to RTÉ in a few years, and the new Virgin gig will go 1 of 2 ways (in their eyes)...

1. Tubridy will end up being a success in the U.K. which will lead to bigger and better (and more lucrative) things (BBC) - Highly unlikely given the limited talent he possesses.
    2. Tubridy will do just enough to get by and survive for a few years on U.K. airwaves, at which point Noel Kelly will offer the golden child back to RTÉ (because he's 'huge' in the U.K. now), and RTÉ will bite, and he'll make a triumphant return to do 5 hours of radio a week for about €325k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'm wondering if the weekend show isn't just going to be edited highlights of his daily show.

Or is he going to come in extra on a Saturday morning to do a live show.

It would be best to do a live show if he ever intends returning here. Wouldn't be a bad idea, he can waffle on all he wants about the weeks events and maybe try for a Brendan O'Connor format.

Only thing going against that is that he's a lazy sod who is used to doing the minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

I'd say Claire Byrne and all the talent in RTE are releaved that Ryan has landed this job. The longer Ryan stayed out of a high profile job the lower their status went, their currency was being devalued every week this went on. This has been the biggest shake up they have experienced in years. I'd say bakhurst 150k is the benchmark for any pay deal Ryan did with virgin. There must have been some difficulties in negotiations as he it took him a relatively long time to land this

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

dont care what tubridy is earning or not earning, we arent paying for him anymore 😀

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

Hard to know- syndicated shows are often prerecorded - it gives the radio station a way of packaging them to allow receiving stations to enable clear insertion of advertising amongst other things- I HATE prerecorded shows like that on live radio - don’t ask me why - it’s probably because they feel false or something, but especially if the format is trying to appear as a live show.

So yeah I’d tend to agree with you - prerecording frees up his weekend- he’d be mad to do a live show - prerecorded also allows virgin to control quality too which given the presenter will be key - now that I think of it this might be a disaster

I imagine he is a fair bit off being relegated to doing 21st parties in local GAA clubs just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The bank transfer from Ireland to Australia took 24 hours to process?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If Graham Norton is on their books they can clearly pay mega money regardless of their share of the UK market.

Be interesting to know what Tubs is getting. He's already proved me wrong as I genuinely wouldn't have thought any station in the UK would want or even really know who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wouldn’t be surprised if Noel offered his services for free just to get his foot in the door having no other job offers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Can't see that happening. He was top of the pile in RTE and could do what he wanted. Not anymore. If he was to come back it will be on a very reduced rate. He might have enough to make the Virgin gig a success. Maybe get a better deal year on year. Going to the BBC...? Again can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Is Russell Crowe in any way relevant any more? He's a fat actor in the latter stages of his career who reminds me of Marlon Brando in the way he just sleepwalks through garbage movies nowadays (The Pope's Exorcist anyone?). It's a long time since Maximus! But hey, Tubs let him indulge his musical pretensions on his show when nobody else in their right mind would, so he owes him one.

My guess is Tubs is not even drawing a wage for this gig. He's not some 20/30 something hot-property that pulls in a young audience, he's a 50-something unknown with no particular niche. He's taking a gig because of NK's connections and he'll try to use it to leverage a payday back in Ireland eventually. "Oh look at me, I made it big in the UK, so now I'm looking for the big bucks again if you want me back in Ireland." Pathetic. I'd say that radio station are paying the likes of Evans and Norton massive money to get their radio station some attention, but the rest are on crumbs. Think of those Saudi teams; Ronaldo's on massive money, but his teammates are probably on minimum wage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Multi-millionaire as in has a couple of million in the bank. While you or I would be delighted with that, he needs to earn more to keep up his lifestyle, so needs to remain somewhat relevant. For someone like him, a couple of million is not enough to just retire on. He'll be fishing for a book deal soon enough. In his head, he's probably hoping for a Netflix series about his life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement