Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Just wondering is the IDF the first military in the world to place their flag atop an undefended hospital which they have conquered?

If 7/10 was their 9/11.

15/11 was their Iwo Jima.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Unfortunately, that link was not available when I claimed that the tunnels in Gaza would be booby trapped, and you could not accept it.

the report you copied from was apparently from 5 days ago though. So it was available, but anyway.

I'm not interested in engaging in personalities. I cannot verify your military/war-zone experience, ditto you mine, and it never replaced reporting from the conflict. None of us are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Actually (and at the risk of derailing the thread) Hamas has bigger plans than the liberation of Palestine.Its their stepping stone They are very similar to ISIS in their version of Islam, the Global Caliphate etc. And that's their ultimate aim.

These same arguments apply to the Likud Party of Israel. Not a caliphate, but rather wiping out Palestine.

Yes but it was only a few posts ago that you demanded proof from another poster, not me, that I decided to check, and there it was on the Times of Israel.

Oh, and as for the war experience, no problem. I'll even start the ball rolling: How about Afghanistan? Libya? And there's more too.

• Advertisement

So you didn't decide to check, when I asked you for that same proof, 8 and half hours ago?

Why?! With all due respect, kinda rude IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Do you mean hostages lost to Israeli bombing or losses of IDF military personnel? Either way I believe the number is a few. Not sure precisely. Reports vary and will be disputed.

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/58/1262/512085/War-on-Gaza/War-on-Gaza/Israeli-losses-in-Gaza-war--servicemen-and--milita.aspx

eg.

So now I'm kinda rude....really.?? Thats the kind of comment that I haven't heard in a long time!!! And even then, only from a certain section of society. Anyway,I digress. ... I made a statement in a general kind of way that based on my personal experience, those tunnels would be booby trapped, and to be honest, I was not even expecting a reply. But then along you come with your" Why are you bringing up booby traps? I've heard no reports about booby traps." TBH, up to that point neither had I heard anything about boobytraps in the tunnels, but for sure, as I mentioned, I thought that they would be. And I voiced my opinion. it was so self-evident, that I was not expecting anyone to even comment on it. Even so, it was not until Homelander or Hey You (I think) commented and basically agreeing with me, and you asked one of them to provide Proof, and it was only then that I googled, and as they say, the rest is history.

Oh BTW, Afghanistan / Libya didn't ring any bells with you? NO? OK, no problem. How about one of the Stans? Pick a Stan, OK?

And I've never made that claim Grumpy, I'm just responding to the current military situation which is ongoing there. And as the nr of posts has passed the 200'000 mark, I'd say that all of the whys and wherefores have been well covered by now.

• Advertisement

To be Honest Weary1. Down the road, I fully expect the IDF to find proof that Hamas have indeed been using the tunnels, for sure. But not just yet, and by the time they do, the moment will have passed propaganda wise. No, Israel needs to find even more than beyond a reasonable doubt proof that not alone were Hamas using the tunnels but storing rockets and other munitions in them and firing rockets from the tunnels. One incontrovertible proof would be if Hamas have these rockets and explosives still there, and something set them off, now that would be evidence that's impossible to argue with. Unfortunately, it would demolish what's left of Gaza too. I'd say that what will happen most likely is that some tunnels will collapse when the booby traps go off. And that will be that,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

All off the people who have been saying that people calling for Israel to stop what it is doing in Gaza is just blatant antisemitism should have a look at what Elon Musk is doing over on Twitter.

He has 163M followers or something, jewish people are going to be hurt by that mindset and narrative way way more than they are by people expressing concern for Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No, blatant anti semitism is blatant anti semitism, including from musk . I don't recall anyone saying that just calling for Israel to stop is that? Don't forget just in this thread we had the following blatant antisemitism: people comparing Israel to Nazis, repeated references to them "playing the holocaust card", "greedy" Jews, they control governments, control Hollywood, "no wonder people always want them dead", they have disproportionate wealth and influence and even they killed Jesus so why do the US support them.

Then at the marches there's been many, many examples of anti semitic signs, chants and speech. Off the top of my head "gas the Jews", "hitler was right", "keep the world clean" with a star of david in a trashcan and more Jesus stuff.

People seem to be willing to ignore all that though. Until someone they don't like does it, then they're all over it. Makes me think those people only care about anti semitism when they can use it for political point scoring

I don't recall anyone saying that just calling for Israel to stop is that? 

It was done to me.

Another prominent very pro Israel poster called me a holocaust denier for saying that they were not the only community to ever experience persecution.

The vasttttttt majority of attendees at Marches have displayed only compassion for suffering Palestinians, there definitely have been some hideous antisemitic signs at some marches but to suggest that this is therefore the mindset of the entire march is doing nothing but trying to use Jewish persecution to undermine the value of others.

A lot of the conservative minded commentators who tried to use antisemitism to stifle denouncement of Israel's actions in Gaza are going to have to have a good long chat with themselves when they next rush to Musk's defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Media might be starting to scrutinise the Israelis more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Plenty of evidence now that the Palestinians systematically use hospitals for terrorism.

The security cameras are blocked, guns hidden under medical equipment (of which there was no shortage), guns hidden behind MRI machines, flak jackets, etc.

This would not be possible unless the hospital directors and staff and doctors etc. all went along with it.

Guns and terrorist gear in the hospitals. A new low for the species. What next for the Palestinian people?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

There was also a threat of a terrorist hiding behind the curtain in the room. Don't forget that. Luckily there was no one there when he looked behind it. Phew, was a close one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The same message going to Israel by various parties is completely ignored by the IDF in their bombardment.

Fear for patients as Gaza hospital care disintegrates (rte.ie)

Human Rights Watch cautioned that hospitals have special protections under international humanitarian law.

"Hospitals only lose those protections if it can be shown that harmful acts have been carried out from the premises," the watchdog's UN Director Louis Charbonneau told Reuters.

"The Israeli government hasn't provided any evidence of that," he said.

--------------

The war on hospitals rages on. I bet they will bring in the bulldozers next.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

More collective punishment.

Fear for patients as Gaza hospital care disintegrates (rte.ie)

Gaza communications down as 'energy runs out'

Gaza's main telecommunications companies Paltel and Jawwal said all telecom services in Gaza had gone down, as all energy sources supplying the network had run out.

Reuters journalists have been unable to reach anyone inside Shifa hospital for more than 24 hours.

The World Health Organization said it was trying to arrange a medical evacuation of patients from Shifa, but was hindered by security concerns and the inability to communicate with anyone there.

WHO officials understood around 600 patients were still inside, including 27 in critical condition.

All hospitals in northern Gaza have effectively been shut down by Israeli forces.

You're worse than the IDF with their fabrications. Now the doctors and nurses were in on it? All class.

Pop quiz: how many shots were taken at IDF forces from within the hospital complex? "Acts harmful to the enemy" is the key phrase here.

• Advertisement

There was a debate last night in TCD, where some student caused a ruckus and started shouting "Allahu Akbar" and waving his fists aggressively at an Israeli student next to him.

What a piece of $hit.

Another body of a hostage was found in the Al-Sifa hospital.

People should be marching to ask Hamas to surrender and release all hostages. That would immediately save lives and enable humanitarian aid to reach all the people in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And the hostages who wandered onto the grounds by themselves, probably escaped from Hamas and were seeking medical treatment before falling on the ground and dying.

We were told there were no Hamas in the hospitals, we were told there were no tunnels in the hospitals, we were told there were no hostages in the hospitals, that is what posters on here spent the last three or four days telling us. All of it is untrue, as is the rest of the pro-Hamas propaganda they are spouting 24/7 about the situation.

Hospital-deniers. The credibility of those who claimed there was nothing in the hospitals is in tatters. Nit-picking about not seeing booby-traps.

I think it is more than kinda rude to be demanding proof off everyone else when pretty much everything you have posted on the conflict has turned out to be false.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fair play to them, though as your link states, they've passed a resolution to be 'ready' to recognize it:

“(the resolution) asks the government to be ready to recognize Palestine as an independent state when recognition could have a positive impact on the peace process, without making a final peace accord a condition.”

Ye are very excited today.

I believe there was a hostage found near the hospital. Near.

That absolutely validated the IDF using snipers to shoot people in the hospital.

Now back to the question about attacking hospitals (and cutting off their power, supplies, food, water).

Article 19

The protection to which civilian hospitals are entitled shall not cease unless they are used to commit, outside their humanitarian duties, acts harmful to the enemy. Protection may, however, cease only after due warning has been given, naming, in all appropriate cases, a reasonable time limit, and after such warning has remained unheeded.

The fact that sick or wounded members of the armed forces are nursed in these hospitals, or the presence of small arms and ammunition taken from such combatants which have not yet been handed to the proper service, shall not be considered to be acts harmful to the enemy.

-----------------

Please list the acts harmful to the enemy that caused the Gazan hospitals to lose their protection. How many shots/rockets fired from the hospital? Why is the hospital not functioning?

Defending the war on hospitals?

From my link above.

Human Rights Watch cautioned that hospitals have special protections under international humanitarian law.

"Hospitals only lose those protections if it can be shown that harmful acts have been carried out from the premises," the watchdog's UN Director Louis Charbonneau told Reuters.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

You'll have to do better than that. Israel has been telling everyone for weeks now that the hospital housed a multi-level labyrinth of tunnels allowing Hamas to house hostages, have a command center and carry out rocket attacks from there.

Two days after they've entered it and there's nothing of the sort.

You've bought the extreme-zionist propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Three hostages and counting, so far?

That is evidence.

• Advertisement

😂 The irony. Everytime you are schooled on your law expertise, you disappear! You dont reply to any direct questions on your misinformation mantras either. Credibility is shot I am afraid. Not a link to be found in any your posts. It's extremely disingenuous. Report away.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

Advertisement