Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The area has been cleared and searched. What is your point?

It appears you and I are a hospital denier now 😂

The irony is that Israel has effectively closed all hospitals in Northern Gaza.

They are denying the citizens of Gaza healthcare. A violation of international law.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

The war on hospitals rages on. I bet they will bring in the bulldozers next.

The bulldozers arrived yesterday or before

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Wow and they have cut the comms too.

The aim of war on hospitals is to remove them from Northern Gaza altogether.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That poor hostage probably died like many others because of an Israeli strike. Very indiscriminate bombings. Many have said that this might happen and the relatives in particular have have continually warned about it happening.

The very fact that there was nothing of substance found in the hospital proves that the Israeli 'intelligence' was false and now with them talking about booby traps is just aggravating the situation with the intent of stopping the hospital from functioning and the threat of many more deaths.

4,600 children have died so far in Gaza. 40 in Israel. All needlessly because talks will eventually take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hamas, or rather their military wing, are on the brink of defeat in Northern Gaza.

Now the focus is shifting to Southern Gaza...

Palestinians in the south of Gaza have been warned to leave. Where are they supposed to go to?

I see no command center has been found under the Al Shifa hospital as of yet. The goalposts have shifted on that one. It was good of the al qassam brigades to leave behind some weapons and equipment as a clue to their presence under the hospital, despite having weeks to clear out the command center and bring the hostages with them. According to the Times of Israel, the IDF knew the layout of the command center due to spies within the hospital. Yet despite all this, Hamas were able to do a disappearing act and escape the hospital without being detected by these spies. I see the Americans can't share their intelligence regarding the command center being under the hospital. Convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"Nothing of substance", moving on from "Hamas aren't there", is another sign of the goalposts shifting. Over the next few days, as Israel find more and more evidence of Hamas activity at the hospitals, how far do you expect to shift the position?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing found that would even remotely require the sledgehammer tactics used. I fear the Israelis will have to plant some more 'evidence' to try to justify their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

I've no real dog in this fight, and IMO the thread was informative and interesting once upon a time, but to be fair the last few pages have really descended into a pedantic petty tit for tat with both sides repeating points over and over (and over). Does anyone really think there will be a gotcha moment when the other side says "you know what, you're right" ? Not trying to back seat mod or anything like that, and its not directed at yourself, just an observation from a reader of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I dunno, a few rusty guns have people on here convinced it was justified. Same people don't understand proportionally or international law, same people wouldn't have batted an eyelid has the IDF just bombed the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭jay1988

But you're not debunking anything, you're presenting stuff that supports your own agenda and opinion on the matter and multiple people have taken it apart, one poster multiple times and you've ignored him repeatedly.

I don't deny any evidence that Hamas were in hospitals but the evidence I've seen so far I'd consider flimsy at best to justify the scale of the operation against the hospital and those patients who died inside it. No i don't take Hamas for idiots at all, idiots couldn't have planned and carried out the scale of butchery they did on 7th of October, savages definitely but idiots definitely not.

I know nothing is black and white in this conflict and the full truth will take a long time to come out if it ever does. However, it seems yourself and other posters have set a position of taking whatever the IDF present as evidence as gospel immediately, even though they have at multiple times over many years been caught out releasing fake videos, images etc.

Then when the Gaza Health ministry ( I know, Hamas controlled) make statements or produce death toll numbers you and others are quick to pour scorn on them even though, in the cases of death tolls especially, they have been proven to be extremely accurate by multiple outside agencies, this evidence has been routinely ignored by the pro Israeli posters because it doesn't back their narrative.

So I've answered your questions, so can I ask if you consider Israel to be an occupying force in gaze after reading all the information provided to you in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Tbf you’ve never once addressed principles of distinction.

No, there won't be a gotcha moment. The Israeli actions do not clearly fall under the classification of war crimes, there will be evidence to be sorted through, was there sufficient warnings to civilians, was the intelligence reliable enough to justify the attack, was the attack proportionate etc. That will be decided over years, so there will be no gotcha moment to say yes or no.

Even in the hospital, Hamas delayed the IDF sufficiently for nearly a day to allow for the command centre to be evacuated through other tunnels and even collapsed. It will therefore take weeks to fully establish the extent of Hamas activity on the hospital grounds.

At some point in the future, probably a couple of years, it will be possible for someone to admit they were wrong, when the evidence is conclusively ruled upon. Until then, opinions will differ. That is a good thing, because it allows for discussion and debate.

For me, the useful thing to follow is something like the EU's position, as they always have a compromised middle ground position. They were fully behind the Israeli right to self-defence, wanted the immediate release of the hostages, and when they start calling for a ceasefire, you know that the chances of Israeli military action achieving any further success will be gone. The EU are already beginning to look beyond the conflict, to the future.

Where did I pour scorn on Hamas reports of casualties?

I have said this many times. Israel did not meet the definition of occupying force on 6/10 because they did not have troops on the ground and did not have security control of Gaza. The extent of the Hamas actions of 7/10 are the clearest evidence that I am correct on this.

There is no point in addressing the rants of posters whose whole argument is based on Israel as an occupying power as this is not accepted.

I have, putting a rocket launcher in a school playground is a war crime under the principles of distinction.

The "rants of posters". You mean informed posters right?

Here is a list of well respected organisations that have studied the situation in Gaza and consider Israel an Occupying Power since 2005 (and before Oct 7)

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) 

UN General Assembly

UN Security Council 

UN Special Rapporteur Richard Falk

International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)

United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory

European Union (EU)

African Union

International Criminal Court (ICC) (both Pre-Trial Chamber I and the Office of the Prosecutor)

Amnesty International

Human Rights Watch

UN Relief Workers Agency

The Israeli High Court of Justice has itself emphasized that the state is nonetheless required under international humanitarian law to allow Gaza to receive “what is needed in order to provide the essential humanitarian needs of the civilian population” (Jaber Al-Bassiouni Ahmed 2008, para. 11).

------------

So this is not accepted by you and Israel. Is that your argument?? No reply expected.

• Advertisement

I think the question was specifically when the tank blew up civilians driving on a road in Gaza.

The facts may be ignored so I will send you the reasoning...

Specifically, experts from the UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory found “noting” positions held by the UN Security CouncilUNGA, a 2014 declaration adopted by the Conference of High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention, the ICRC, and “positions of previous commissions of inquiry,” that Israel has “control exercised over, inter alia, [Gaza’s] airspace and territorial waters, land crossings at the borders, supply of civilian infrastructure, including water and electricity, and key governmental functions such as the management of the Palestinian population registry.” They also point to “other forms of force, such as military incursions and firing missiles.”

For the Gaza-Egypt border, they hold that while the Palestinian Authority operates the crossing under the supervision of EU monitors, Israel ultimately has control. Israeli security forces supervise the passenger lists—deciding who can cross—and monitor the operations and can withhold the “consent and cooperation” required to keep the crossing open. In that vein, experts note that Israel’s “coercive measures” have further “impeded efforts to build proper democratic institutions,” and that Israel still has not transferred sovereign powers and instead maintains control over “the [Palestinian Authority]’s ability to function effectively.” Based on the actual exercise of effective control, they, therefore, find that Israel has occupied Gaza since the broader occupation of Palestine began in 1967.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭jay1988

But Israel still has effective control over Gaza, even before this war happened, with multiple entrance checkpoints and Israeli security checks on trucks entering Gaza from Egypt. They also have a naval blockade controlling what can enter Gaza by sea, they are absolutely an occupying force and have been for a long time. This is a point backed up by the UN and multiple other agencies.

But your refusal to accept this or even the possibility because it doesn't go along with your narrative is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

There is strong justification in the Torah for those who believe that it is the word of God to kill every man woman and child (and their cattle) in the West Bank and Gaza that isn't Jewish. It's all laid out in The Book of Deuteronomy, the fifth and last Book of the Torah.

The Book of Deuteronomy is also the fifth Book of the Old Testament so if you are a Christian and believe that the Bible is the written word of God then you must also support the annihilation of those not of the Jewish (or Christian) faith in the region. 'cause God said so and he'll always right.

And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have begun to give Sihon and his land before thee: begin to possess, that thou mayest inherit his land. Then Sihon came out against us, he and all his people, to fight at Jahaz. And the Lord our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people. And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain.

— Deuteronomy 2:31-34

When the Lord thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and hath cast out many nations before thee, the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than thou; And when the Lord thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them.

— Deuteronomy 7:1-2

Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

— Deuteronomy 13:15

But of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee

— Deuteronomy 20:16-17

For those of us who don't believe in the supernatural or magic and take our moral guidance from the Enlightenment and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights such notions are abhorrent.

But if you're a Christian, a real Christian, you must be impatient and disappointed that Israel isn't doing the Lords work with the appropriate amount of vim and vigour.

If you are a Muslim you will, quite naturally, be lamenting that the opposite isn't happening.

The only difference between a religion and a cult is time. Posters here can argue over who is right and wrong, or more right or more wrong, but in the end it all comes down to religion and how it gives people the moral justification to commit evil. A plague on all their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

But if you're a Christian, a real Christian, you must be impatient and disappointed that Israel isn't doing the Lords work with the appropriate amount of vim and vigour.

Think this has been done to death on thread already, but afaik the New Testament and the ideas of Jesus are supposed to render that stuff in the Old Testament about raining down God's vengance on the (currently) living, and exhortations to violence (killing of "witches" and the like) obsolete.

At least for the "real" Christians. Definitely the case for Catholics, and I'd imagine for most Protetsants, apart from some weird evangelical sects.

Israel still blocking aid. I’m also concerned with the Israel notifications for people to move further south, before what looks like now southern areas to be attacked. There’ll come a stage where there isn’t anywhere else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

I was responding to a poster who said that I knew nothing about his warzone experiences. So, I was asking him about this and listing mine for reference, and according to you, that is "Dick Waving"? Thats some jump

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

That hostage, like the others, died because they were kidnapped from their homes to be used as human shields and/or as insurance against Israeli retaliation. They are being killed to try to get the IDF to back off. Hamas attack residential areas and a music festival, murder, mutilate, gang rape and burn innocent people then take hostages as human shields and run back into their tunnels. The intelligence on the hospital may be wrong, maybe not, but the IDF wouldn't be anywhere near there only for what happened on 7th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished” (Matthew 5:17–19)

I know my scripture. I know The Lord of the Rings as well and I don't think that's true either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

lol, another Bible scholar...well the Devil can quote scripture to his purpose!

I actually agree with guts of your post (+ all religion is not worth all the [violent] baggage that goes with it), just not with your claim that somehow bible beaters quoting fire and brimstone wrath of God stuff from the OT to justify violence are the "real" Christians.

It doesn't stand up IMO.

Advertisement