Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Character"? Seems like a nice guy judging from his Instagram. Also disabled (not able to walk due to some muscle wasting issue) so reliant on the bike to get the dog out and about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Met him a few times, really nice guy, bit eccentric. Raven is the best dog, follows him around work all day and I would trust that dog in traffic more than most people I meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Don’t think it’s your man with the cargo with Raven he’s talking about to be fair, there was a lad with a westie who used to cycle round with the westie just clinging to his back.

Used to go round all the pubs with the dog trying to get free pints

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

trying to get free pints

the actions of a completely sane man, if you ask me.

Ah, I was wondering when @Stark said he couldn't walk as I met Raven and owner walking loads, I know from talking to him his actual job involves huge amounts of standing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The bike is in the middle of the lane and moving away from stationary. He's not turning, he's just starting to move and a wobble should be expected. The moped tried to get through a gap which wasn't there and didn't allow the bike to start moving. Even if they were turning, you don't take your hand off the handlebars when pulling away, and you don't stand at the stop line with one arm out just so that a vehicle pulling up behind you at the junction knows your intentions. They should wait until the bike is moving before making any moves themselves.

Moped entirely in the wrong going for a non existent gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'm surprised it's even up for discussion. Kind of like the cars that overtake/ undertake you on a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

All I said is that I wouldn't give all the blame to the moped rider. I don't think that anyone can argue that if you're using public roads that you should be predictable. A motorist is always liable if they hit a pedestrian crossing the road, but that doesn't mean that pedestrians should cross the road without looking!

This is borne out me cycling and constantly seeing other cyclists drifting across lanes without signalling or looking over their shoulder. No one seems to be familiar with the concept of self-preservation!

Maybe I'm given the moped a bit too much leeway as I'm putting myself in his position as if I he was a cyclist. And I'm not saying it's the cyclist's fault. I'm just saying try to avoid putting yourself at risk!

Also, I don't think carrying an animal on a bike is comparable to having a toddler on the bike. Toddlers are restrained, animals generally are not. They are unpredictable and could jump off at any point or get tangled up in the wheels. No problem if they're in some kind of carry cage!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The cat had absolutely nothing to do with what happened, it was just sitting in its basket and minding it's own business. It didn't cause the incident.

The moped was approaching stationary traffic at a junction, and rather than stopping and waiting for the traffic in front to resume moving, they went through close passing a bike which was just beginning to move off. As a two wheeled vehicle themselves they should have been well aware that bikes are unstable at slow speeds and not attempted that move.

I'm not seeing how any blame can be laid on the bicycle for them starting to move when it was their turn to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You can't be talking about ifs and buts in reference to the cat in the basket and making presumptions. The cat had nothing to do with this incident.

The bike was the lead in a single-vehicle lane. How can you not give all the blame to the moped driver? If you were driver a car and another car nudged up on your right trying to squeeze past you there, I doubt you'd be saying the same? This is similar.

There shouldn't be any onus on the cyclist in this instance to have the 'awareness' etc. They were the lead for that lane. Anyone doing anything else in that lane is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Surely it's better to form judgements based on what actually happened rather than dreaming up scenarios.

The cat would have had much more chance of being injured there if it was stuck in a cage rather than being able to jump free.

Did I say the cat had anything to do with the incident? It was a side note at the end of my post.

Just curious - would you be against a moped pulling up beside you at a red light? Or even another cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why you even felt the need to mention the cat though, I don't know.

If driving, if it was a single-lane at the red-light then yes i'd be against it. Another cyclist, yes I'd be against that too. However, cyclists often get to take the lead at junctions, so if I was in a car and a bike went in front of me into their designated area, I'm fine with that.

I cycle a fair bit (not as much as I wish) and ya I'd be fairly put out by anyone pulling up alongside me in a single-lane where I have front position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The moped didn't pull alongside him though. He was behind. And then tried squeezing by when moving. It's **** driving and no more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That's it. That's literally all there is to it. Nothing to do with cats, or indicators or wobbles. It was a dangerous overtake of someone doing absolutely nothing wrong, just because the driver was too impatient to wait the 2 seconds it would have taken to be able to effect a safer overtake. Again, same thing as the over/undertakes you get on roundabouts - JUST WAIT THE FEW SECONDS TIL WE CLEAR IT AND THEN PASS ME, YA IGNORANT LANGER! (not you Weepsie!)

I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up. We all know what it's like being on a bike and that's why an abundance of caution is needed, even if you're not the cause of the incident. In an ideal world we would all like to assume that other road users will behave logically, but it's never the case!

Yes, it was a dangerous overtake and the moped rider was at fault. But, if the cyclist had given a hand signal or looked over his shoulder, the incident may have been avoided. That isn't victim blaming, it's trying to protect yourself from other road users. No use being technically in the right if you end up dead as a result.

And to say that it's nothing to do with a cat - there's a cat literally in the video. How can you not comment on something so unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There’s hours upon hours of footage online of him cycling with that cat, and nothing in any of it to suggest that him carrying a cat has caused any more hinderance or danger to his cycling than carrying a backpack in a front basket would.

The animal being there had zero impact on the moped rider deciding to make a dangerous close overtake whilst going around a corner, and the animal being there or not made no difference on the cyclist being hit by the moped rider

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But, if the cyclist had given a hand signal or looked over his shoulder,

A hand signal for what? They didn't change lane or turn. They veered slightly to the right but that can happen (especially if you turn your head to the right). The cyclist was hit from behind and no amount of shoulder looking will prevent a dipsh1t from hitting you especially with such short notice.

the incident may have been avoided. That isn't victim blaming

Victim blaming is exactly what it is!

They were moving off from a stop.

How would they be indicating whilst pedalling away from a stand still? It was the first or possibly second turn of their pedals.

Edit: and what would they be indicating for? They were going straight on.

They were turning as they do later when it's all over but again, it's irrelevant, the overtake was silliness. It wasn't out of badness though, just stupidity, he has probably done it 1000 times without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Got rear ended in blessington just on the naas road roundabout. I was in the roundabout, car came on behind me, accelerated right through the back of me, took a 5m trip on the hood then got pushed along the ground for another bit. Back is in a hoop this eve, hopefully just bruised and twisted. My cervelo is OK i think tho id need to wash it to inspect it properly, destroyed the bar tape and skewer on the left but seems to have been pushed more than slammed. Castelli winter bib shorts, glove and my rapha gortex jacket are destroyed. Guy said "(he) just wasn't looking". I'd lights on and an orange jacket, it was midday.

Not sure if wanna keep cycling as i sit here this evening thinking im so lucky that wasnt so much worse, fed up with sh*t drivers. I broke my neck, shoulder and chest in 2014 by another inattentive driver. These days every spin seems to have a near miss. Been cycling most of my 42 years and honestly feel the roads have never been more dangerous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jesus. glad you seem OK.

****, probably preaching to the choir but make sure you get checked out. If you start having issues down the road, no point asking for help then.

Also f*ck me, not sure if I'm more or less annoyed that he admitted to not looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

They were actually really nice, but it was astonishing, i was like "how could you not see me, I was right in front of you, flashing red lights, good lights too, where we u looking??" Fully reported to the gardai etc so hopefully I can at least get my nice bibs and rapha jacket replaced. Yea true re getting it checked out might drop into one of the vhi clinics tomorrow and get it recorded at least. I'd imagine it's just gonna be a diphene subscription. Its quite sore now, getting out of bed tomorrow is gonna be interesting..

I regrettably learned the hard way that not getting it checked out AsAP can be a bad thing. You are probably fine bar a few days/weeks of discomfort but better it's confirmed and if further remedy is actioned, start straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Back in the news this week with more details.

Sentencing on Friday which should be interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The main (only?) reason you're not seen by a driver is when they have their head in a phone and "multitasking". Hope you get 100% sorted @monkeyslayer

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mvt

Had a similar incident on a roundabout myself & just wanted to say I went directly to the motorists insurance company & received the compensation I felt was adequate for the incident without any hassle.

I only suffered some road rash & was off work for a couple of days ,bike was ok but got it checked.

Hope you are feeling ok, I found taking matters into my own hands a great help in dealing with the trauma of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah here, you're supposed to give us some small, irrelevant detail that we can all zone in on and nitpick over to prove that it was all your fault in the first place.

With roundabouts, the most likely scenario is that the driver was looking to their right for approaching traffic while driving towards the roundabout.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Advertisement

to echo this, let alone getting checked out medically, i'd have the frame x-rayed. the motorist's insurance company won't blink, it's probably a tenth the cost of replacing a bumper after a minor fender bender (assuming the frame is OK)

Advertisement