Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honest2Goodness Market Slaney Close Glasnevin Closing !

Options
  • 08-11-2023 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

It appears this market is threatened with closure in 2 months time which is a shame

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Yeah I heard a stallholder telling a customer the other week, the rent negotiations on the building are not working out for them.

Greedy landlords ruining everything again.

I love going down there every Saturday, the coffee shop always has some great beans to buy, the pork butcher has an amazing selection of sausages and me and my son love picking out a different one each week, over to the baker for floury baps and maybe another stall for some sauce to put on with the sausages when we get home. And some lovely flowers for my wife.

I absolutely love the stall with all the olives, dips etc - it's a great place to get a nice spread for dinner.

I always buy easter eggs from the Proper Chocolate Company too, their chocolate is out of this world delicious.

The end of December is when the current lease runs out, and they haven't been able to agree a new arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Just put up on their FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

Was that area recently rezoned for apartment blocks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

These are the kind of community services that the council should be supporting.

Rent or Buy the property and lease it at nominal rent to the stall holders.

DCC are useless.

The only silver lining is that there are numerous privately run markets in the pipeline acorss the city, includimg the Wright market at Howth Castle, The St Andrews Church Market in the City Centre and the Google Market at Bolands Mill, all due onstream by 2025.

But the council itself does zero to support its own citizens in this regard.

It's a shame they cant be voted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Looking at the comments on that post it seems some of the other stall holders are pissed off with how this has been handled by Honest2Goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Potato_farl

I could only see one comment from a stallholder, a fairly nonsensical legal threat from your man from the Whole Hogg. Which other stallholders commented?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is a massive shame, really like this market and always seemed busy, have they given the reason for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 _my0pia_

There’s a website set up to try to save or relocate the market, there are social media links on the page too - glasnevinfoodmarket .com (sorry won’t let me post a link)

Would be a massive shame to lose such an important local amenity, please give them your support!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think thats a bit much. They are supporting these types of initiatives. There are heaps of markets out there. Wasnt there one set up in the park in phibsboro not so long ago with the council's support and guess what, people didnt use it.

DCC are useless? I was out at 7am last Sunday morning and council lads were out in the lashing rain clearing drains, while everyone else was in bed. They do plenty of great work.

Honest2Goodness was the sort of place that no thinktank would ever have thought would work, because of the location. It did work for one reason and one reason only, the quality of the product. Thats down to the vendors, especially the leasholder.

• Advertisement

Small markets in parks are good, but they are on the fringe of what should be delivered by a city council overseeing a first world european capital city, which is one of the 30 largest urban areas in the European Union.

There are numerous market facilities in the city that have been left to rot over decades. Smithfield Market & Iveagh Market being good examples.

They are fantastic, historic facilities that should be serving our communities. If buildings like that were in London or Berlin, they would be thriving.

The city council do not clean thoroughly nor often enough and they seem obsessed with laying paving stones that stain almost immediatley and constantly make the city look dirty, often the day after the paving is completed.

My guess is that they struggle to find staff willing to do it.

As for the markets you mentioned, the legals around this are clearly complex again not DCCs fault.

Iveagh Markets - Wikipedia

People give out about DCC non-stop; I really dont know what they expect. But I do know, if I was a regular joe working for DCC and all I ever read day in day out was the vitriol that has become a reflex reaction to anything they do - I'd be out of there. Its thankless.

DCC could have CPO'd Iveagh Markets years back and they have mishandled Smithfield Market for decades.

There have been private companies that have put on succesful events in Smithfield Market recently, made the area compliant, paid for all costs etc.

Yet DCC are telling us its still years away from becoming a working market. Its embarrasing.

Luckily, there are private developers funding and organising other markets across the city. So the future for city markets looks good - but its 100% driven by the private sector.

Will take your word for it on Iveagh - fair is fair.

On Smithfield, do you mean the historic market for horses etc. That had an edge to it, to say the least. I was at it a number of times, and the last time I went there was a shooting in the middle of what was a very crowded space. Didnt go again, and wouldnt want that back.

Anyway we are off topic.

To counter argue against myself - the market that most resembled H2G was the one over in Newmarket beside what is now the heritage site of Teelings whiskey. That was a great spot, closed for the same reason I think.

My other favourite market was the one in Meeting House square, was in it recently and it has really gone down hill.

Not that one. Thats the Horse Market Fair. I wouldnt go near that one.

The one I mean is in the old Fruit and Veg Market, just off Capel St. Opposite the Hacienda pub.

The council cleared out the vendors there a good few years ago, in preperation to create an artisan market, much like Borough Market in London or Time Out in Lisbon.

Its exactly what the city needs and would go straight to the top of the tourist chart hit list if done well.

After kicking out the vendors, the Council have done nothing with it for years, despite private enterprises using the space for one off markets and events.

Apparently, the council start works on it next year, but they are years away from having it as a functioning market, even though it has been used as such by private business as recently as last month!

DCC are a total joke.

The building is beautiful and will be fantastic when done, but its a shame they dont just sell it to someone that knows what they are doing.

St Andrews Church will be a cracker though once complete. Those folks do know what they are doing.

High hopes for the Google Docks market as well.

Ok - all fair comments. That could be like the English market in Dublin. On the credit side, Capel Street is now my favourite street in Dublin.

Thats another example of DCC failure.

They allowed the developers to boot out the Green Door market from Newmarket Square to Bluebell (still there if you want to go see it) but as a compromise, one of the new buildings on Newmarket Square had to provide a local market.

Developers agreed and then once the building was completed, they put in planning to put a supermarket in there instead!

DCC rejected but the owners have resubmitted the planning for a supermarket. Thats why there is nothing there currently.

Similar issue around the corner when they knocled the Tivoli theatre down to build a hotel. Another disaster from city planning.

New owners had it in the approval to provide a cultural theatre type developmemt in the new square there.

There is nothing in the square but a few local alcoholics. No plans to deliver anything and DCC do not a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DCC own and always owned the Iveagh Markets, but had leased it to the owner of an appalling pub and a hotel in Temple Bar. He owns the nearby, derelict Mother Redcaps.

They could and should have terminated the jokers lease on it many years earlier but kept believing every excuse

Yes. All very frustrating.

Another beautiful building that you would think most city councils would give their right arm to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Sorry to burst your bubble but I suspect there will be very little if anything "organic" about St Andrews Church Market. This is some property investors out to make a profit. So, it will be only established companies who will be able to afford rents. We might even see a Costa opening up in that market - that's how organic I suspect it will be, alas!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The operator arranged for it does markets elsewhere and isn't that bad.

Yes, that kind of thing. But on a bigger scale.

It (Smithfield Market) will also help Capel Street develop further by bringing more footfall to and from the street.

Good times ahead for Capel St I think!

No, its a Manifesto Market. Same owners as the one in Berlin and Prague.

They will be local produce vendors, film screenings, cookery demos etc.

At least that looks like something different without Costa, Papa Johns or Subway getting involved.

Yeah. Its definatley not one of those things you'd see in a midlands town or at a service station.

This one will be hipster paradise.

So loads of skinny lattes, hummus and racing bikes with the deliberately "distressed look" locked outside.

We should set up another thread for food markets in Dublin.

To be fair - if you look across European cities, for many of them if you go to Trtipadvisor one of the top 5 attractions will be a city centre market.

Seville, Barcelona, Cork, London (borough market), Florence, Rotterdam, Berlin spring to mind. And as you rightly say, Dublin has an absolutely cracking venue to do this.

Yeah, the city is screaming out for one.

No vision and no leadership in Dublin City Council. I sometimes think they go into the office, plan for a few more bollards, then just go home.

What was the last project of Dublin City Council that actually got positive feedback from Dubliners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

I never heard of this market until this thread. Shame. Will it be open tomorrow (9am-3pm)?

Advertisement