Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Economist Digital Edition - 50% Off

• 16-11-2023 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

The Economist digital edition is down from €299 to €149.50 for a one year period until 28 November 2023.

Anyone interested in splitting a yearly subscription?

Up to five devices can login in at any one time, so the cost would be €29.90 per person if we can get five people.

Post edited by neon123 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I'd be interested in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

I would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Thanks @The Phantom Jipper @Luxembourgo @6541

I'll wait to see if we can get one more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lotto999

I would be interested in this, I am getting a new device at christmas , would I be able to switch devices midway?

• Advertisement

Yes that's fine so long as you log out of the existing device first.

It's possible to interchange between devices during the period so long as you make sure you are only logged into any one device at a time.

I'll PM everyone later with my Revolut details.

Please send me the funds as soon as possible after you get my message to avoid any delays with getting the subscription set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭sugarman20

I'd be interested if a space becomes available, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Can't you get this for free on Libby, the library app for magazines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭pjq

If I have not misunderstood, The Economist digital edition is available free of charge from all (most?) Public Libraries via the Pressreader App.

• Advertisement

You can use Libby if you have an Irish library card and access thousands of magazines FREE https://www.librariesireland.ie/elibrary-user-guides

I think you can only use Pressreader if your device is connected to the library hotspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

I would not recommend subscribing to the economist.

They will keep renewing until you cancel. But to cancel, they make you jump through hoops. Phone calls and emails. Ridiculous carry on.

I rarely buy the magazine unless ive loads of time to read. Too expensive nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Should be a law that you can cancel by the same method as you signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Apogee

Just to confirm what others have said above, you can access the Economist for free via the Pressreader (or Libby) app* with your Library card from anywhere - you don't need to be connected to a Library Hotspot.

*Can use the Pressreader website too.

Libby removed The Economist several months ago, but I'll try Pressreader again later tonight.

This week's edition

Thanks all for the PressReader app suggestion, just got it up and running there.

I won't bother now with the Economist subscription since we can get it for noting on the above app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks. Where do you sign up with your library card? I can only see a normal sign up process. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I get this error when I try to open it in pressreader. Am I in the wrong place?

In the app, click on Sign In and and select Libraries and Groups

select your library, and then scroll down and enter your library card number

It's a similar procedure on the website

Now the Economist is not even appearing in a search

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭w4ntedman

From the screenshot it doesn't look like you are signed in

Mine is here

Logged in ok. I just downloaded the latest rolling stones magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭w4ntedman

My mistake. Apologies

Thanks to those who mentioned PressReader and Libby, can't believe I'd never heard of them before. Outside of The Economist, there's an unbelievable range of other interesting publications. Is there any sort of time limit on access to these? It almost seems too good to be true.

Don't know why you're experiencing a problem, unless there's something up with the way your particular library is registered with pressreader. Might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling app

No time limit currently. You can download issues and store on your device. Titles do get added/removed over time e.g. most of the Irish newspapers are no longer accessible.

• Advertisement

Not to derail the topic but if any veteran users of either app can recommend some similar publications that are available, it would be appreciated. Pleasantly surprised to see The New Yorker available on Libby, always been a good read previously.

Advertisement