Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You think the reason hosts don’t return properties to the rental sector has anything to do with understanding airbnbs fee structure?

How could anyone with even a modicum of understanding of the well publicised issues with renting possibly think that? Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

You could say that about petrol inflation for those who don't use cars or butter inflation for those that don't use butter. It's probably meaningless to silo various goods in the CPI basket just because you don't use those particular goods. If inflation is generally going upwards, it will hit you some way, be it your bus fare, your Big Mac, your health insurance or your toothpaste.

Suffice it to say, if you own your home outright, your disposable income is obviously far better than someone who doesn't but your euro only goes just as far as the renter next door...except that you may have more euros....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

More euros, but less demand to spend them.

People in that position must "feel" a different level of CPI, although I understand it is one rather crude calculation.

I would be interested to know the percentage of outright home owners anyway. I wonder if it is decreasing now, given the cost of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They recently imposed new legislation over here in Vancouver around Air Bnb

It has only been a few weeks, but there have been plenty of people with various properties playing the victim, that it's their retirement plan etc etc. Not much sympathy for them.

You do see a lot now on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, but the prices are clearly to try and not take too much of a hit on them. Time will tell how it plays out over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

I have no skin in this but it quite clearly says hosts in Italy or hosts with Super Strict Cancellation policies pay that much? And the host only fee applies to hotels or serviced apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Time to drop this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

The state has agreed a deal with Glenveagh Homes to part-fund construction of 274 private market apartments in Cork city, the largest scheme of its kind in the city for more than a decade.

Further deals have been struck with Cairn Homes and Park Developments, the development firms, to subsidise construction of further apartments for the private market in Cork and Dublin.

The three apartment schemes, which contain 395 units in total, will be the first projects to be funded through the Croí Cónaithe Cities scheme, which is being managed by the Housing Agency.

Launched in 2022, Croí Cónaithe Cities was established to subsidise the cost of building apartments by providing developers with between €25,000 and €144,000 per unit. It is hoped these funds will bridge the gap between how much it costs to build an apartment and the price people can afford to pay on the private market.

Developers accessing funds through the scheme are required to sell the apartments to owner-occupiers.

The largest project being part-funded by the state will be Blackrock Villas, Blackrock, Co. Cork. Glenveagh secured planning permission for the 274 apartments on the site in 2019, but construction did not commence.

Upon completion, there will be a mix of studio, one-, two- and three-bed apartments for sale in Blackrock Villas on the open market at subsidised prices.

A further 68 owner-occupier apartments being developed by Cairn Homes on Carr’s Hill Carrigaline Road in Douglas, Co. Cork, will also be subsidised through Croí Cónaithe Cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

What do folks think of this proposed closed bid process that they might introduce in Ireland? At least this would eliminate fears about phantom bids or that you are bidding against yourself...

“They will examine the evidence, they will hear people’s stories. But I know in Scotland they have a different system of bidding, it is a closed bid where a person puts in their bid once and the highest bidder gets the house. I am not saying it is the best thing to do, it might not be, but at least it gets away from that stress a lot of people experience several times. By the time they actually get to buy a house, they were outbid a few times and it drags on for weeks.”

Bidding process for buying homes in Ireland could be overhauled after expert process

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/11/14/bidding-process-for-buying-homes-in-ireland-could-be-overhauled-after-expert-process/

Is the owner allowed to set a price below which the highest bid will not be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Neighbour recently sold up, and chose to sell to a young family instead of a shady character who bid 5k more. What we have at the moment is not perfect, but it's better than the closed bid process IMO.

PS. Also, it's naive to think that any other process is not open to corruption. For example, what's to stop an insider contacting an investor that's giving them backhanders and telling them the current highest bid on property X is €415,000 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

one would wonder if the money will just be swallowed up and the apartments priced higher anyway....is there any sort of mechanism to limit the price charged on the private market?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is good to see, and we need more of it, especially in Dublin. However the cynic in me thinks that despite the subsidies, the apartments will still retail for ~€4-500k. Most buyers in that range will want a house, and they will struggle to sell these. Ultimately the state and various AHBs will then step in and buy up most of them and the blocks will become defacto social housing ghettos.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In Scotland, yes. You are meant to advertise at your base acceptance price with "offers over".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Disaster waiting to happen

If the project is unviable, let market forces work till it's at a point of viability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I agree with your sentiment but

’we missed housing completion targets by a mile because we’re letting market forces work’ is not a vote winning strategy in an election year.

Government focus is very much on delivery as many units as possible and getting people into those houses. Affordability becomes secondary when you have chronic under supply.

Best way to stimulate more supply in the short term is to drive prices higher (see 2004-2007).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You should give up. You are just arguing for the sake of pretending to yourself that you didnt lose the argument now. At this point its like you are trying to crawl up your own arse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Tax payer handouts to builders is all this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

yeah thats all this is. another bailout for builders. not surprising at all mind you

As much as people seem to loathe builders/developers, the quickest and probably cheapest way of getting large scale supply of houses, is to incentivise the private sector to build them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

New mortgage provider has launched in the Irish market.

MoCo, which is owned by Austrian bank Bawag, began offering services yesterday.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Good to see more competition. Had a quick look. Best rate is 4.65%...not exactly game changer. When avant entered they had cheapest rates

A read of their website suggests they’re going to aim for smaller volumes, excellent customer service (‘decision in days’), but be the most expensive in the market.

There probably is a gap given with the torture the existing banks put people through. But not going to do anything to long term competitiveness with that rate strategy which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

How long did it take you to get mortgage approval? I got a HVM mortgage approved from the underwriters, with an exception from the banks normal maximum for FTB's, which I think my guy told me was 750k, in less than a week.

Not to promote, there are so few banks you can guess, they have people at the bank who will analyse any property you are interested in and provide you with same day feedback on comparative value, location etc. The service is exemplary, to be honest.

As far as pain points go, I'd say dealing with banks in Ireland is a 1/10 and the dearth of property is a solid 10.

Here's an interesting take on Bawag - https://petrusadvisers.com/media/20230630_-_bawag_-_back-up_materials_vf.pdf

Another intresting stat from last week that seems to have been overlooked. All that lobbying appears to be reaping significant dividends for the developers

A decent bit of journalism, but one point that is ommitted from him and other commentators is that: if state subsidies are becoming a much greater part of new home price. There is an increasing negative equity risk to the buyer in a downturn as those subsidies are not available to the next buyer

But while a gap has opened up between the capital and the rest of the country, the more noticeable divide is between new builds and second-hand homes.

Whereas the value of second-hand properties sold dropped by 1%, new builds soared by 10.4%........

It’s because the state will spend hundreds of millions per year on HTB and shared equity.

The whole point of these is to help people buy homes. If they are just pushing up new build prices, it makes it harder for everyone who isn’t using these schemes to buy.

This would make the schemes largely pointless and potentially a massive waste of state money.

Taxpayers should know whether their money is being spent wisely, or just feeding into the very problem it is trying to fix.

I can’t remember specifics as we weren’t in a rush. Wasn’t too bad for us but we drew down a very low LTI and LTV. Approval was quick. Before drawdown there was some bizarre querying of individual transactions

‘what’s this €1,200 purchase?’

Type response in portal

2 days to read response

‘what’s this transaction…’

This with a bank I’ve used for 10+ years and had saved a few hundred thousand for the deposit.

I also saw with friends scenarios like

’youll probably get the exemption but we won’t give it to you until you identify a property’

’but how can I know I can afford it then if you haven’t confirmed the exemption?’

Shrugs.

It’s far from steamlined so there is definitely room for a first class service (instant responses. Any day of the week) but at a slightly higher cost.

Assume in future a Fintech will link into your finances at all time (with your consent) and be able to underwrite your mortgage in seconds.

Best way to stimulate more supply in the short term is to drive prices higher (see 2004-2007)

I suppose that's our worst fear, the major difference is that the state (a much larger indebted one) is the subprime actor in this cycle through:

Initially the ftb grant

Through shared ownership they are underwriting the riskiest part of the mortgage

In subsidising apartment developments that appear to be unviable since at least 2019, we are underwriting the riskiest developments at what appears to be the top of the cycle with little demand for the end product from private buyers

Brace!!!

All valid concerns.

But the alternative being construction grinding to a halt while we add 100k to the population each year with an already seemingly significant shortage of apartments and houses. The way out of this is not straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Analysis: Suspicions grow that government schemes are pumping up new build house prices (thejournal.ie)

Oh wow great analysis there, hopefully these suspicions will have become more concrete in another 14 years or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's almost like the government has only ever implemented policy to keep the cost of housing high.

Go figure.

Anyways, here's a concrete levy.

Advertisement