Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Interesting survey here from AWRAD. Finds that vast majority of Palestinians in West Bank and Gaza support the October 7th attack to varying degrees, though close to 60% strongly support.

Support for Hamas at 76%, support for Palestinian Authority just 10%. Support for the brigades who carried out the attacks extremely high, almost 90%.

Interestingly strong support for Oct 7th more prevalent in West Bank than Gaza.

Overall nothing too surprising in it but fairly informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It wasn't a Hamas video. It's was a journalist who recorded it. Full context.... The car was driving away from the tank. What more context do you want? Suicide bombers who changed their mind and forgot to put the explosives in the car? The car swerved into the warning shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Somewhere about 400 posts ago I am sure I linked to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They have cut comms too so aid agencies have no idea what's happening on the ground or in many hospitals. It's very grim for the people of Gaza.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Whats the point of all these demonstrations other than inconveniencing people here, what can we do?

Also the family have been in Gaza since June, how many families can take 5 months break from work and school? Any families taking children out of school that long would be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you but it is rather foolish to believe that this entire affair began on Oct 7th. What caused Oct 7th has been going on for years and doesn't entirely excuse the murderous and savage attacks but there was certainly a build-up to it and Israel was not an innocent party in those events.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

Yes, religion and nationalism require the abandonment of reason and logic and open the door to the basest actions that humanity can perpetrate on itself. I dislike both in equal measure.

"Doesn't entirely excuse", wow, so it mostly excuses it? Is that what you are saying?

Both sides have been inflicting evil on each other since antiquity, each drop of blood spilled justified by the last drop of blood spilled. How red should the land be stained before "justice" is served?

• Advertisement

That is the question !! Neither side willing to accept the other. Yet the UN who have the experience of wars all over the world is not being listened to regarding the codes of conduct in war or otherwise. I see no end to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nobody's listened to the UN since 1961 when Dag Hammarskjöld was killed in the Congo.

Yet they are the only voice of reason, with feet on the ground, commenting on what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Please link to some of the posts of people defending Hamas.

Not wanting Palestinian civilians to be butchered is not defending Hamas.

Not is explaining why Hamas exists for that matter.

So only one side has committed war crimes. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Only one side has committed clear and unequivocal war crimes.

There are many more allegations of war crimes on both sides, e.g. the use of human shields by Hamas, the placing of rocket launchers in hospital grounds by Hamas, the actions of the IDF in bombing hospitals and schools. In some cases, these allegations are two sides of the same coin. If Hamas put rocket launchers or other military targets in a school playground, that is a war crime, so attacking it is not a war crime. Or vice versa. If Israel attacked a school without any militiary justification, that is a war crime. Impossible to know from here which of those two situations is true, hence they can only be considered allegations.

On the other hand, the taking of civilian hostages is a war crime, one of the worst actually, so it is clear that Hamas have committed that war crime. The continued holding of those hostages is also a war crime, something you and others appear to support given the criticism I have received for calling for the immediate and unconditional release of those hostages.

No, not when their special rapporteur comes out with such biased and disgusting nonsense. They have no credibility in this conflict. That said the UNHCR is the only charity I donate to so I believe that they do good work but as a political organisation with Russia and China holding a Veto over any real action they have no credibility.

But they didn’t just bomb the hospital, did they.

You seem disappointed that they didn’t, because it can’t confirm your prejudice.

I think if you go back and check you'll find that nobody supported what Hamas did. Some can see that there was a build-up to a serious incident brewing because of the increase in settler violence and imprisonment without trial etc. Haven't we heard that Bibi was even informed that something was going to happen.

I firmly believe that war crimes were committed by both sides otherwise how would we have nearly 5,000 children killed (indiscriminate bombing). It has been called out by the UN and others already. We've been through all this before.

• Advertisement

So you don't agree with the UN calling out war crimes when it's the Israelis who are called out. Nice. I heard an Israeli general try the same thing on tv.

What kind of stupid statement is that? I don't believe in committing war crimes just for my own gain on a messaging board thousands of miles away from the conflict. Is this the new thing we have to add as a signature, along with condemning Hamas' actions on 7/10 etc...

One of the first things I said when the IDF took control of the hospital was it can now be secured, power, food, water etc... can be supplied and it can get back to operating like a hospital and being able to treat patients.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Ah yes. 4,700 children dead in the bombardment and not a mention of it. How many are injured and without functioning hospitals??

Some war crimes that Israel may have committed (to be proven in court). You've seemingly given Israel a Pass due to you bias for all of these. Glad you don't do law.

----------------

1 Civilians: The principle of distinction, that is to say, the obligation of warring parties to distinguish between combatants and civilians, is an important principle of IHL. 

1 Civilians: Article 57(2) of Additional Protocol I obliges parties to take precautions in their attacks to avoid or minimise incidental civilian losses. 

1 Civilians: The Fourth Convention provides in Article 51(2): The civilian population, as such, as well as individual civilians, shall not be the object of an attack. Actual threats of violence the primary purpose of which is to spread terror among the civilian population are prohibited.”

2 Hospitals: Article 19: Medical facilities shall not be attacked in any circumstances, but shall at all times be respected and protected. We've been over this one countless times without reply. The key phrase for this protection to be removed is "acts harmful to the enemy". Unproven. None of the hospitals in Northern Gaza are operational thanks to Israel. Is that respecting and protecting hospitals?

3 Proportionality: Article 51(5)(b) of Additional Protocol I prohibits attacks that violate the rule of proportionality: that is to say, is not permissible to attack, even when there is a clear military target if it “may be expected to cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, damage to civilian objects, or a combination thereof, which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated.”. 

4 Forced movement and Starvation: Article 49 of the Fourth Convention provides that individual, or mass, forcible transfer, as well as deportations of protected persons from occupied territory to the territory of the Occupying Power or to that of any other country, occupied or not, are prohibited, “regardless of their motive”. Where such displacements occur, all possible measures must be taken in order that the civilians are afforded satisfactory shelter, hygiene, safety and nutrition.

5 Supplies: Article 55 of the Fourth Convention requires the Occupying Power, to the fullest extent of the means available to it, “to ensure food and medical supplies to the population. It should, in particular, bring the necessary foodstuffs, medical stores and other articles if the resources of the occupied territory are inadequate”.

6 Collective punishment: Common Article 33 provides that collective punishment is a war crime. Contrary to its duty under Article 55, the act of Israel in cutting off water, electricity, food, and fuel to the population of Gaza punishes the entire population of Gaza for the acts of Hamas is a collective punishment

7 Relief Aid: Article 61 of the Fourth Convention requires the Occupying Power to agree relief schemes for the population of an occupied territory if it is inadequately supplied.

8 No survivors: Article 41 of Additional Protocol II prohibits an order that there should be no survivors. Netanyahu has other ideas. Declaring that no quarter will be given is also a war crime under Article 89(2) of the Rome Statute.

-----------------------------

Over to you.

By the way, I agree that Hamas have committed many war crimes and I hope they are punished for it. Murdering innocent civilians and taking hostages is absolutely evidence of war crimes. However you have to take off the blinkers where Israel is concerned.

Even Benjamin Netanyahu has stated "The other thing that I can say is that we'll try to finish that job with minimal civilian casualties. That's what we're trying to do. Minimal civilian casualties. But unfortunately, we're not successful." I'd love to know what figures he's using!

You don't get nearly 5k children dead in 5 weeks with anyway kind of acceptable and proportionate response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah yes, Douglas Murray, promoter of great replacement theory, anti-immigration, cultural Marxism and is basically a toff version of Steve Bannon. I notice this comes from Sky News Australia, which, yeah.

The Gaza strip is behind him in this video. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There are many who believe that Israel has been the prime aggressor in the region for the last 40 years or more and is no "victim". What has complicated things is that the pro-Israel lobby is hugely influential with western governments and the western media, giving us this 'both sides' argument. They have been so successful with this that their supporters are totally buying into the idea that the wealthy and influential Israeli state is indeed the victim and that the impoverished Palestine is the cause of all the problems in the conflict.

That is interesting. The absolute hatred for Israel is palpable. We are many many decades from resolving this awful conflict. Maybe it will never be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I haven’t seen anywhere it’s a Hamas video. However irrespective. A tank blew up a car with civilians in it. Hamas don’t have tanks. And I very much doubt Israeli are using tanks killing Israel civilians in their cars… literally not rocket science

• Advertisement

Then why bring up the spectre of them bombing the hospital, as if it was what they really wanted to do, but something just held them off?

It simply didn’t happen.

And less of the accusations of stupidity, please , as you note this is just a discussion thread

Advertisement