Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

@Jjameson I've joined your ranks by being blocked on Twitter.

First time I'm aware of it occurring.

By a tweeter by the handle of ByHedge. Who goes around inspecting hedges on farms for a living. Delighted to say he will never be allowed on farm here. His loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

If he's the best farming has we're in serious bother.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Putting pressure on livestock farmers is probably seen as a bonus to the straw chopping scheme in Govt circles.

I wouldn’t criticise any tillage farmer for signing up to it. But I hope tillage farmers realise that the same Govt might turn on them too if the wind changes direction.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

It was of course but the straw that was chopped is now desperately needed. If a farmer wants to chop straw good luck to them but no way should the taxpayer be paying them as well. There’s no overhang of last years straw and a huge deficit this year, cattle are housed a month early, the **** is going to hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No doubt the straw chopping scheme was an idiotic idea, straw could be returned to the land via promotion of fym co operation between tillage and livestock folks if required - compulsory stubble cultivation just as bad as it actually results in more nutrient and soil loss to waterways, and deprives Red listed farmland birds like Skylarks and Yellowhammers of vital winter feeding areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Why after a dreadful year is feeding barley cheaper this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭green daries

Base was the area sown autumn/spring last year down a lot like some people are saying...just wondering if you had any idea ...

Post edited by green daries on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭straight

How much are people paying for baling silage? 11 euro a bale here for fusion including raking. Fecking plastic is another 4 euro on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

14e for for half packed bales including mowing and raking. Not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'm in the same position as yourself. One tillage farmer told me he will be back 30ac of winter wheat straw next year and that was in September

• Advertisement

At least presuming you have all this years bedding sorted. We have some time to get sorted till housing next year. It's all money though. But truth be told I can't really milk off straw. Cows are dry here now really because they are in on the beds. I should have acted years ago on this but I didn't want to fall out with the relation on buying their straw but I know the way the mood music is going.

I had a homeopathic salesman in the yard yesterday and they were remarking of an organic dairy client who is worried about the situation.

It's one of those periods in Irish farming history where a cat has been thrown amongst the pigeons. The likes of Gibbons is loving this.

But it's still first world problems or opportunities or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Still milking most of the cows on straw here and hoping to keep going until the 10th of December. I theory I have enough straw for 5 months. There's a few organic dairy farmers I know who are worried about how much straw they have. But like you said it's minor the scheme of things going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We purchase straw from 3 different farmers in our area, firstly to buy is winter often straw for sheep usually 90 round bales and cut early and this year all chopped a total of 150 acres, secondly is small square bales of winter barley straw 400 bales this year sold as rounds to the north. Third fellow spring barley rounds sown in February got 75 of the 120 ordered due to chopping and big squares for mushrooms and all spring customer had to take cut back, all stated they had to chop straw for the scheme on advice.

Bit of controversy on tiktok over a car club diffing outside the family home of a deceased person and a Guard intervening asking them to move on and a young madam shouting abuse at the guard.

You'd never know there were as many clubs with others condemning that club with their various tiktok posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I think you're being generous calling them car clubs...

@Water John like her or loathe her, Verona Murphy calling for the Minister should be slapped has now gotten her reelected in the next election.

Farmers will remember that stunt, when the €1000/ha goes in their bank account in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We are paying the same price as last year for feed barley but the quality wouldn't be as good. The grain is smaller.

I don't know tbh but the eight farmers that we buy from in Meath, NCD, Kildare, Carlow and Wexford didn't chop straw either last year or this year. Some had areas they didn't get baled dry but baled it up to get it off the ground.

We didn't have as much straw from the fields as normal years but we are drawing outta sheds at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We supply an organic dairy farmer with barley straw and he got the same number of loads as every other year.

You must not be buying from one's in the WhatsApp groups telling each other to chop straw.

If there was adequate supply there'd be no importing straw. Tillage farmers in this country looking for that supply to be stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

It’s hard to keep up with the narrative, are tillage cn*ts(your own words about some grain growers rep) meant to just start taking your prompt from now on?

it flips from using glyphosate, cultivations, hedge cutting and now chopping straw rather than giving away cheap p/k and on?

When did I call anyone a cn*ts?

I could have, but I don't remember.

Me thinks you are just putting words in people's mouths again.

Much of a chip on your shoulder there Waffle? Post in truths and facts and then no one can pull you up. #lifelesson

And anyway @Waffletraktor how are the skiing holidays?

When the boot was on the other foot and dairy farmers got a once off payment of 400 all we heard on here was about these skiing holidays?

No mention of skiing holidays now from your supposed mythical opposition of dairy farmers on here. What does that say? Maybe you are not as beaten down by others in farming as is let on. But those dairy farmers do provide a great opposition to talk about in the WhatsApp groups. Strange. Chop. Chop.

Another one too @Waffletraktor

When you are here.

Would you say farmers that are in private online tillage groups are more likely to chop straw and take the scheme than those not in those groups and not aware of the chatter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

a farmer is entitled to chop straw, but the government shouldn’t be paying them taxpayers money to do so. It not the primary cause of the crisis that is going to ensue but it is the secondary cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I use two needles usually. The air and the hole are the main reasons bottles once opened need to be used. The needle going from animals back into the bottle I try and avoid.

I mean if you want me to go looking for the specific post about a localish member from the irish grain growers group looking for some scheme or other from late spring time i could waste a few hours over the weekend. Though a post from 10th of May, 2nd parraghgraph i quoted certainly isn't putting words in anyone's mouth. can you show me examples please?

As for the other guff the lone what's app group with farmers i'm in is more about which mills are being dickheads with grain samples lately and the status of winter crops and if patching in spring varieties very early would catch up for harvest. If heavy land with skyhigh Mg levels will drain before april or if sfi would give a beter return vs potential seed bank risk. We don't use any social media as it's not real life, and puruse only a few forums. If i wanted likes i'd post up shiny metal at the scale unheard of in Ireland as ye didnt sell enough drugs to the chinese or kill the kings enemies to become acceptable.

In fairness boards has never buzzed with tillage talk like how people got on getting loads through boort malt this year etc etc, and how much hard red spring wheat/colemans mustard/ryvita rye is grown in Ireland. If you think lads with unharvested corn getting money so they can clear their input debts as far as i'm aware is ski'ing money? A former minion close to you forwarded a video of your contractor taking maize out through a field of uncut barley 2 weeks ago, i believe his employer uses their services alot. Just go and look at some of their ex veg land before the big maschio's arrive to rip the 15'' ruts out and then tell folk to give up the turnip and cabbage for cheese and killowen yogurts. Though you do have too much of a hardon for the likes of George or Ed and their schemeing agronomist ways and the tillage lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

• Advertisement

Straws too much of a pita unless the baler can chase the combine, straw for muck deals are a bit meh as no one wants to pay the costs and it's even worse with wet straw. Cant see much difference in cattle and sheep welfare scheme's to be honest.

Advertisement