Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

The weird price 25.96 is because it's MUP for 47%. It's also a non-clubcard price which is unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Thanks for the suggestions all.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭tphase

Normally I'd consider it too good to 'waste' on hot whiskey but that recipe sounds interesting - definitely going to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sound, don't drown in it water, about 2:1 hot water to whiskey ratio or reduce to your preference, and drop the orange peel in at the end (otherwise too much orange infused).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Might start at 1:1 ratio and work from there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This stuff is getting completely out of hand.

When distilleries start failing, and they will in the same was craft brewers have this sort of nonsense will have to be seen to played a part.

€600 for a bottle of whiskey. who are they trying to cod

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

€595 for a 45% four year old (and not even a particularly rare one) is beyond nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sold in a gift box with a small sample included, clearly not aimed at people who actually drink whiskey 😕

no surprise if you know the characters behind the operation🤑

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's a silly price, but thankfully I dont see how this company going under would have much effect on more savvy operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Paddys Share at 43 or is it 47% for 30-35 euro is a steal .Lovely malty whiskey with a bit of sherry sweetness .Oh I see its 25.96 ....buy at least three bottles !Any one got any confimred branch sitings ?!

Or have the vaguest notion of Maths !Not much more than a free extra big mouthful /swig!

Paddys Share now Clubcard price 35 ...was probably illegally cheap under 26!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I quite enjoy Paddy's Share. Too many offers at the same time this month though, I can't commit to any of them. Is John's Lane still €60 somewhere? I might just pick up the Dingle winter solstice release instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

The dingle is interesting. Love a port whiskey. Based off dingle batch 6 or roe and co 2020. Both are full port cask maturation rather than finishing. I'm very tempted to try the Glenmorangie quinta ruban. Which is 4 years finishing in port, older than most irish are in total.

Think I'll hold out hopes that dingle batch 6 didn't use up all the port cask stock

I think it just shows that some of the smaller producers are going to exasperate their problems in getting distribution by having over the top pricing.

The inaugural release by shortcross might be a good example of the market, it was released in Dec 2021, almost two years ago was half the price of this Burren release, was limited to 700 bottles and came in a box with two glasses. Half the price, a more limited bottling, better presentation and its still for sale on their website.

https://rademonestatedistilleryshop.com/products/reserve-best-irish-new-whiskey-2021

Its not going to have an effect on more savvy operators, its just that I read it as the first indication that many small operators will not survive unfortunately as they wont be able to find a sustainable spot in a market to sell their products, a domestic market that is expanding its offering hugely where space on off licence shelves is limited and international expansion is slow, expensive and very difficult to penetrate.

A small distillery would have a lot of debt for a number of years before it starts to generate income, (that can now be debt with higher interest rates) so if it cant generate income sufficiently and start to service that debt then its only a matter of time.

Not sure it's the "first indication" of anything, to be honest. Any new distillery knows they have cash flow problems in the first decade before they turn the first sod. It's baked in. Yes, some won't survive, nature of all start ups really.

What's the insight to be derived from this particular pricing? One business has a model we think is not likely to last. Maybe they're shooting for a niche, hope to turn a profit and then sell up.

Either way, no warning flags raised for operations following a different model.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

New range of youngish peated Glenallachies in CWS. Appears to be a sort of core range within the core range.

Curious to try them, the pricing is reasonable, for the distillery.

I expect their take on peat and sherry (one of the bottlings) will be a good counterpoint to stuff like Lagavulin distillers edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I agree that the Burren pricing is no more than a sign that a small distillery put a stupid price on their inaugural release and it probably won't sell very well.

Not only do I think this kind of carry on won't hurt the industry, I don't think it will harm the distillery either (other than the return on their inaugural will be very slow). If they have an offering at a price point that a distributor wants, said distributor aren't going to turn it down because they are upset over the cost of the inaugural release!

But, yeah, it's a bonkers price for what looks like a pretty standard drop, aimed squarely at collectors.

I also wonder if, in time, those little bottles that are now becoming quite common with collectable whiskies, will become more valuable than the full sized bottles because there will be less of them due to most people opening them. Although, serious collectors probably wouldn't open them anyway. Why break a lifetime habit of not drinking the whisky you buy?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

The pricing that really annoys me is the method and madness. 95euro for a 7 year old 46% single malt. I get that it's a micro distillery but it's part of Irish distillers/pernod Ricard. It's a different shaped bottle but they must have economies of scale and established supply chains. Things other distilleries don't have. Is the brand a test to see if they can edge up price? Some of the stuff is experimental but even then I think it's high pricing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd say they've spotted that all the smaller operations have created a niche for this sort of product at this sort of price, and decided they would like a piece of it as well. They're under no obligation to sell their whiskey more cheaply just because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Saw an ad for Lough Gill whiskey yesterday, am I right in saying that this is sourced whiskey rather than their own?

Athrú Whiskey Small Batch Release #1 | Athrú Whiskey (athru.com)

Also, are they separate to Lough Gill brewery or connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I would not get annoyed. Better to just skip past it and ignore. Lots of other offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This. It amazes me how upset people get over the price of stuff that they'll never buy.

Commenting on the price of things is one thing, getting argry about it is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

2 bottles of Jameson in Tesco for 46 quid. Stout and IPA versions. Good for cocktails etc.

Is €160 a fair price for a bottle of Killowen's 6 year old Rum & Raisin and a bottle of Ardbeg's Corryvreckan? I'm hovering over the "purchase" button but can't make my mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I've no idea what the standard price is, I'd think ~80 is maybe a bit high, but I got the Rum and Raisin from 3 drams and was very impressed with it, it was a lovely drop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Any thoughts on Lidls "Dundalgan" whiskey versions? anyone tried them? Sherry, Stout, charred cask etc. Ive read some bad reviews of them though.

I see they have the Speyside version of "Ben Bracken". Anyone tried it?

The Islay version was great smokey whiskey for under €25, would love to see it back. But I bought the Highland Ben Bracken once, and it wasnt good. Too rough, with little redeeming qualities.

• Advertisement

I think they're about €120 and €65 in most shops at the moment, from what I can see, so it'd be a bit of a discount from usual. Just wondering if both of them are worth a punt, I suppose.

Advertisement