Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100% on they should've continued extending the Luas.

We had the money and work force.

Continuing through Finglas and on to the M50 for a P&R seems like a no brainer.

Also extending to Bray although that might be been a capacity problem.

A route SW or West also.

I'm not sure about which road can take a Luas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sam won't thank me for going ot, but I don't like the idea of constantly extending the current Luas lines. They're too slow for the lenght imo.

Thats why I think the Metro makes so much more sense. Trams are good for short journeys but Metrolink is a far far better pt project.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While I agree it should happen, the note of caution that the planners in DoT/NTA/TII probably don’t want to do it until Metrolink is well under construction. Otherwise some idiot politician might suggest with cancel Metrolink and extend the Luas to the airport instead, of completely missing that the main purpose of Metrolink is to connect Swords. The airport is the cherry on top. It just isn’t worth the risk.

Once Metrolink is under way, then absolutely start planning for this.

Sam won't thank me for going ot, but I don't like the idea of constantly extending the current Luas lines. They're too slow for the lenght imo.

That doesn’t really apply here. The Green Luas is 14km long on the south side (as the bird flies, longer in actual length), while it is currently under 4km on the north side and an extension to Dardistown would only make it 8km on the Northside, a very reasonable distance.

You are correct in that it would be too long to bring people from South Dublin to the airport, that is what we need Metrolink for. But separately it is right to extend Luas Northwards to bring more service to the people of North Dublin. The people living in Finglas have as much right to a good Luas service as do the folks living in South Dublin. This extension would be for them and bringing it to Dardistown eventually would be more about giving the folks living in Finglas, etc. easy transfer access to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭spillit67

I’m not entirely in favour of extending the LUAS all the time but I’m firmly of the view that the reason they stopped was because of a (well founded) fear that we were going to do the LUAS everywhere.

It has it’s place though and it was ultimately a mistake to stop.

I agree in principle.

For example I know people in Tallaght who get the bus into town as it's quicker.

But the Northside Green line is quick enough outside the city centre as it's off road. I like the idea of Finglas getting a Luas also.

The connection in Bray I like cos of connectivity. Lots of people working in Sandyford/Stillorgan could live in Bray or Shankill or Greystones even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Going wildly off topic I know but where exactly was the alignment going to be from Brides Glen to Bray. Part of the old alignment with the viaduct I know is still there and you can visualise where it connects with the southern dart line, but most of it seems to have been eaten up by houses gardens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Rather than going off topic, open a new thread.

There's plans online. Maybe Shankill would be easier or new Dart station in Shanganagh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Shanganagh is not on the Metrolink line between Swords and Charlemont. Nor is Shankill.

Any more off topic posts will be deleted.

You can start a new thread if it is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... safer too. It comes back to the desperate need for a dedicated transport police, a thing that politicians here aren't just discouraging, but seem to be actively fighting against.

• Advertisement

If Metrolink is fully automated as far as drivers, then there is a significant need for Revenue Protection Officers - who might as well be Transport Police who will mitigate anti-social behaviour as well as revenue protection. I doubt that there will be full time staffing at every station.

In the last decade or so, I think I have only once had my ticket checked on the Dart. Given that most ticket barriers on the minor stations on the Dart (as far as I can see) have been removed or are permanently open, there appears to be few if any RPOs operating on the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on the Dart it's only really the City Centre stations that are monitored. Even the stations that are permanently manned, you can usually get out through an open barrier - e.g. in Bray there's usually a turnstile permanently open on platform 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Blackrock has a turnstile permanently open these days, and I believe it's still monitored (at least the ticket office seems to be open any time I've been there!)

There should be visible Revenue Protection always - at least somewhere on the network - such that the chance of being caught without a ticket is not zero.

When I go through the self scan in Tesco, I get checked from time to time. (Yet to be found in error). It should be the same on IR and Dublin Bus, for all routes, trains and buses, and all stations.

Uniformed Transport Police would (or should) have the power of a Garda on (or near - hot pursuit) company property. On the spot fines should apply as in continental Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The RPU are patrolling the Irish Rail network every day - just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean that they aren’t out there.

With the city buses in Dublin, given that there are only two fares, the cheaper of which requires interaction with the driver, the risk of fare evasion is far less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Saw a bloke just walk past the bus driver yesterday making no attempt at any payment. Driver just ignored the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I can recall at least 5 times in the last year where I've waited up to 5minutes while the driver waited for people to come back and pay, then kicking off customers. I've also noticed drivers ignoring fare dodging, but mostly instances where the driver won't let people on when their card is beep beep beeping

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Nearly twenty years ago Finance put a spoke into Metro. They indulged in a bait and switch, suggesting a branch off the DART. Funny enough, that didn't get built either. If some posters wonder why many are cynical about the delivery of the present project, experience teaches us unless it's a road, it will only go ahead after much fluting about.

Saturday, 10th January, 2004

The Minister for Transport, Mr Brennan, is to bring to cabinet in the next two months his final proposals for a metro link between Dublin city centre and the airport.

He is expected to tell colleagues that the link can be built for less than €2.5 billion, and could be open to its first passengers by the end of 2009.

However the proposals could be seriously hampered by the fact that the project is feasible only as the first stage in a much more ambitious 20-year underground scheme, costing up to €20 billion.

The Department of Finance is still opposed to the project on the basis of a report it commissioned which suggests that a much cheaper alternative exists, the extension of the Dart to the airport, via a new spur line.

The minister has now received indicative costs from the Rail Procurement Agency (RPA) that the Metro link could be built for €2.4 billion, half the figure he was given last year.

This could be done through halving the time for the planning stage of the project from four to two years with new legislation to speed up the planning process.

Legislation to transfer underground property rights to the State is also being prepared.

The route of the proposed line has yet to be finalised however. It will run overground from the Airport, through Ballymun, going underground at Dublin City University in Ballymun.

The final plan is being drafted to include a route passing through Connolly Station, Tara Street and St Stephen's Green at the insistence of the minister.

According to sources in the Department of Transport, Mr Brennan remains confident he can convince colleagues of the merits of the project, and that it remains a realistic proposal.

Last year the plan was put in jeopardy following an initial report from the RPA that the airport link would cost up to €4.8 billion, and take at least seven years to build.

This included four years of planning.

Despite the latest figures, the proposal is still facing considerable opposition from the Department of Finance, which commissioned its own report on a rail link to the airport.

The report has advocated a spur from the Dart line as an alternative.

Mr Brennan is believed to have told Government colleagues on the cabinet sub-committee on infrastructure that the project is a feasible when considered as the first stage of a larger metro scheme. It would greatly increase public transport capacity in the city, while the Dart spur would have a limited impact.

However, according to Government sources there is still a considerable barrier to the project over the overall spending commitment. The feasibility of financing through public-private partnerships is still under consideration.

"It would just be the first of ten planned phases over a 20-year period, so the Government would be committing itself to a much greater spend than €2.4 billion, and a lot of debt, whatever way it's financed,"said the sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Seamus Brennan is one of the decent politicians, over the past few decades. You could count all of them, on one hand! This country has not added a cm to heavy rail system, in how long? A hundred years?

Like I said, it is genius re-inventing the wheel constantly, going for a cheaper "optimised" design. Pure genius, if it wasnt for this reality , called "inflation"... FFG question SF etc on magic money trees and fiscal prudence... It would make you laugh... I do appreciate, that Metrolink, is probably a better over all fictional scheme than Metronorth, but as many others point out, I would prefer to be using metro north today, rather than talking about a hypothetical metrolink. In relation to the build cost of metronorth, the OCS station it has been said, would have been very costly, as it was to be mined if I am correct? look, that may be the case. Was that flaw, going to cost the billions of euro that delaying this scheme has cost?

Lets just hope the economy keeps doing ok, I wont even say crash, they are well capable of cancelling it, if the sums are very significant, without a crash... I mean, imagine things tighten up financially and it looks like they are, as per figures and as reported in our esteemed papers of note recently.

" Fifteen billion euro dublin underground to proceed, as welfare rates are frozen in upcoming budget" This is the kind of bullshit that is totally plausible and actually, more likely than not, to play out...

Post edited by Idbatterim on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is rather ignoring that the government did not in fact go for the DART spur and instead went ahead with Metro North. It was the Global Financial Crash that stopped it, not politicking.

• Advertisement

Metrolink is not just a connection for the airport to Dublin City Centre - much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

politician's decided to cancel it... it didnt cancel itself. There were billions of euro available, they borrowed fortunes for things they felt were worth borrowing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

We didn't have sovereignty over our budget during the crash. The whole point of the Troika arriving to bail us out was that in order to get bailed out we had to cut spending. No government would have been able to push through infrastructure improvements back then.]

Besides, a Dart spur is a vastly inferior project and we opted not to do it because MN/ML was a better option, and is still the better option. Barring massive economic calamity, it will get built. Too much money has been sunk into the project thus far, and too much of the NDP for the north county is predicated on this line getting built.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭prunudo

Whatever about cancelling the projects, the biggest mistake was not even keeping a bare minimum/ skeleton staff design team on board. Even they had of been brought under one umbrella group.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

So much to unpack in that article from 2004!

>This could be done through halving the time for the planning stage of the project from four to two years with new legislation to speed up the planning process.

Whatever happened to that legislation?? And four years for planning seems quaint now, since ML kicked off in 2015 and won't start construction until 2025.

>Legislation to transfer underground property rights to the State is also being prepared.

I googled this, not sure if anything major was changed on that occasion. Looks like you don't own rights to "mines and minerals" in Ireland when you're a property owner. The State still has rights to them and can CPO you.

>The final plan is being drafted to include a route passing through Connolly Station, Tara Street and St Stephen's Green at the insistence of the minister.

A routing via Connolly and Tara sounds very awkward and this is the first I've heard of it. MN ended up going Parnell Square - O'Connell Bridge - Stephen's Green, so Brennan did not get his way on this. Now ML is O'Connell St - Tara - Stephen's Green.

Agreed about Brennan being sound, he was a very decent politician and certainly one of the best Ministers for Transport we've had in living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

DCC have issued a tender for Architect Led Integrated Design Team to relocate and expand the existing facilities at Markievicz Leisure Centre to form a much larger sports and leisure hub within the existing Irishtown Stadium Site;

Another step in the right direction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have to admit, I really thought that the MLC would be a sticking point with DCC, and was pessimistic about it being solved easily. Having the Metrolink project move and upgrade the facilities at the same time was a genius move by all involved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Great news. There’ll be moaners who say Ringsend is a bit far from Townsend st but it’s the best we can do. At least they’re replacing it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

Without doubt, if the will was really there...what are the reasons given for that station to be exactly there anyway? And why it can't be shaped differently to preserve the pub, or more under ground or whatever...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The station has to be there because that's the only area that has the two existing train line in close proximity to a major road. The interchange potential there is through the roof, and it'll be one of the busiest stations in Ireland from the day it opens.

In order to control costs, all of the stations are of a basic design, with shared characteristics. All constructed the same way, which is to dig out from the top down.

Those constraints are the reason the pub is going, same with the Tara St apartments.

Could they move the station to keep the pub? Sure, they could move it south, but doing that means that an apartment block will be going instead, and given a choice between an apartment block and a pub, then there's only going to be one winner there.

Could they mine out the station from underneath the pub? Sure, they could do that. However, the price of doing that is astronomical. Far better value for money to CPO the pub and build the station using methods proven to keep control of costs.

Could they redesign the station so that all of the functionality/interchange is kept, and keep the pub? No, I doubt it. There's just too many constraints there, not least the direction of the tunnel itself, going North-South.

Bear in mind that the design of these stations as already significantly changed from the original spec, with a significant reduction in length. In the first set of plans, the apartment blocks at Dalcassian Downs were going to be CPO'ed as well.

Advertisement